Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Thank you, this team was surprisingly good, I win at the first try : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1315380550-z07pyyj2j251ys0q3f1d5zu87uu4wagpw

I just wanna ask why icicle crash over triple axel om weavile? triple axel can bypass suicide lead lando sash.
Some people use Icicle Crash as its damage output is more consistent and it doesn't kill you if you use it against Ferrothorn and Rocky Helmet wielders. I prefer Triple Axel though and the two are probably interchangeable.

However Triple Axel averages 108 power, whilst Icicle Crash averages 73, and still doesn't have perfect Accuracy itself.

For context Triple Axel averages about the same as a Critical Hit Icicle Crash.

Although Triple Axel is a contact move, which Icicle Crash isn't. A Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn would almost kill you from full health if it switches into Triple Axel.

I kinda missed a few valuable weeks for OU, but why is Magnezone good at killing Ferro and Corv now? I thought the big problem with Mag was it's unreliability for killing steels.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I kinda missed a few valuable weeks for OU, but why is Magnezone good at killing Ferro and Corv now? I thought the big problem with Mag was it's unreliability for killing steels.
Magnezone was always able to do this, but Pokemon that benefit from having these Steel-types removed, like Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Kartana are on the rise, Skarmory which Magnezone can trap has become more popular, and a Steel-type Magnezone can't trap, Magearna, is gone.

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Body Press
- Toxic
- Iron Defense
This Zone set will consistently trap Ferrothorn, with +4 Body Press securing the OHKO, while also being able to trap Corviknight and Skarmory consistently. It also provides additional defensive utility against mons like Weavile and Bisharp, trapping the latter and killing with Press.

hey what is this magnezone set speed meant to outspeed.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

hey what is this magnezone set speed meant to outspeed.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
The spread's a little dated, but the idea is that you're outspeeding max speed Conkeldurr, which realistically doesn't exist right now; if you're looking for a decent iron defence zone spread, I'd check out the spread that IPF posted since that hits a lot more relevant defensive benchmarks rn.

Katy

Banned deucer.
is there a good spdef corviknight set i can use?
:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird / Iron Head / Body Press​

This might be a spread to look into, if you aim to have it more specially defensive. It avoids an 2HKO by Choice Specs Tapu Leles Psychic, and it can avoid a 2HKO by Dragapults Choice Specs-boosted Shadow Ball after Stealth Rocks damage. It can also tank a Fire Blast by Tankchomp really well.

hope that helped :)

Is this metagross set viable in OU?
Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

I wanna try it on screen team

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

probably not, you still won't KO slowbro, hippo, zapdos, mandibuzz, etc at +2 and you never break much if they do not hit weakness policy

there are other strong steel types for HO teams honestly

Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

I think Metagross is pretty unviable all things considered in the current meta game. It's main issue is power as it is really helpless against steels outside of banded coverage which can be exploited easily . It also struggles against the regen mons or general physical walls like Hippo and Mandi.

That being said if you are set on running it on screens then you can try cheese options like Cosmic Power Body Press but unfortunately it doesn't get Stored Power. I would suggest some block cheese strat if their weren't a million pivot mons in the tier. You can probably rob someone and get a sweep with the former set maybe in about 50 or so games but then again most probably not.

Another option I think you can enjoy is CB Explosion as it is disgustingly powerful and can lure some mons like -

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Explosion vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 551-649 (139.8 - 164.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Explosion vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Garchomp: 393-463 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Explosion vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 405-477 (106 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Explosion vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 416-490 (108.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It is still not as strong as you want it to be as Bro, Hippo, Tang, Mandi and all those other mons take around 70-90% it is still a lot but not an OHKO. You can check some threat like Lele, Kyurem, Rilla etc. with it's typing and great natural bulk. You can also use Bullet Punch to have some insurance. It can also prevent Defog while doing decent damage to Corvi-

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Explosion vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 172-202 (43 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

But don't get it twisted. What Finchinator said is completely true. It is not viable and there are a whole lot better steel options like Bish. I solely wrote this considering that you were a fan and wanted to use it. It is not shockingly bad so you won't cripple yourself too bad by bringing it. I would personally suggest Banded Boom on Screens if you really want to use it and get some use out of it's bulk and latter sacrifice it as necessary and get Semi Reliable game to game use out of it.

But to your original Question, that set would struggle to beat defensive mons and is still kinda slow even at +2. I would firstly suggest to change to Jolly to outspeed Scarf Kart at +2. This type of set CAN sometimes work and sweep once in a blue moon . But it is the kind of set which you MAKE put in work, meaning it just is carried by your team and is GIVEN the kills or chances to sweep. It is not the kind of mon that can pull it's weight. It is not going to be a particularly great addition to your team. You would not miss it even if you remove it from the team.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is giga impact a viable move to use for kartana? Over something like sacred sword or smart strike. I use the adamant scarf set for reference.
If you use Giga Impact, you should be doing that with the Swords Dance set, this is the best way to break past defensive Zapdos, but it comes at the opportunity cost of Kartanas coverage. And Giga Impact itself on a Scarf set is very redundant and not recommended. Giga Impact however was great in the previous generation of OU with Normalium Z to avoid the recharge after the use.

I personally wouldn't use Giga Impact this gen, its too redundant and rips off Kartanas entire potential and is more or less only a very fringe lure for Zapdos, but the opportunity costs outweight the advantages.

I guess you could go Power Herb + SD Giga Impact to break through a few checks.

this would be a great idea if the game worked that way

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)