Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

For suspect tests, is it required to play all 50 games with the Pokemon being tested or not?
Firstly, you are not even required to use the mon itself in the suspect. You can vote if you meet the games and GXE requirements with a new alt with the suspect tag.

Secondly, you don't require all 50 game. If you reach 84% GXE, then you merely require 30 games. The entire GXE/no. of games required will be given in the suspect test page.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Best counters to SubRoost Kyurem? Been having a lot of trouble with it lately.
Blissey can check it, however Kyurem has the HP give so a Substitute isnt broken that easily, Tyranitar with the specially defensive set with Rock Blast can help in this case, however it dislikes switching into multiple Earth Powers. Other options are faster attackers such as Dragapult with Draco Meteor, as Infiltrator bypasses Sub and lets it kill Kyurem. Other faster attackers such as Garchomp can help with Scale Shot, however i would not recommend it using it on a Kyurem behind a Sub, as you'll lose your Garchomp otherwise by a subsquent attack coming from a Kyurem.
Specially defensive Clevable with Calm Mind can also help here, as Kyurem has trouble breaking past it, once Clefable gets on going; and Clefable in general is more specially defensive currently. Galarian Slowking with an Assault Vest can also help with Future Sight and its STABs / coverage to help versus Kyurem. Scizor can also help with pressuing it with Bullet Punch and a more specially defensive spread.

In general there is counterplay to it, but all of these Pokemon either can't switch-in directly or can't check it that reliably. In overall playing around Sub+Roost Kyurem and pressuring it offensively is the best way, as Sub+Roost Kyurem dislikes a very agressive way towards it, as agressive play lets it getting up Substitutes not that easy.

Hope that helped :)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What's the ev spread that is used by Ferro, Pex and Corv these days and what do they accomplish? Also, are there any specific spreads if any of those three want to go physical or specially defensive?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have or know of a good VinCune+TSpikes team I can steal? I tried building one w/ Nidoqueen bc I wanted to use Queen but what I ended up with sucked ass bc I'm not comfortable building TSpikes structures, let alone with a low rank mon.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Does anyone have or know of a good VinCune+TSpikes team I can steal? I tried building one w/ Nidoqueen bc I wanted to use Queen but what I ended up with sucked ass bc I'm not comfortable building TSpikes structures, let alone with a low rank mon.
One option could be this build: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trainer-academy-workshops.3675841/#post-8707429
It got build with plenty of aknowledged people and first and foremost Ox the Fox, i am pretty sure if you change the structure a little bit, and adjust it to nowadays metagame standards it'll turn out well and playable for you.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What's the ev spread that is used by Ferro, Pex and Corv these days and what do they accomplish? Also, are there any specific spreads if any of those three want to go physical or specially defensive?
These Pokemon all run a plethora of different spreads depending upon the team. We are a bit more PDef Corv and SDef Pex in general rn, but there’s still a good range. When in doubt, default to analysis or proven team spreads I would say. However, there’s no universal spread for any of these Pokemon.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Oh, follow up question, I've been seeing in some posts about Corv going about max hp, a hundred sixty something def and eighty something spd. I can't remember the exact values but it was something close to that one. What does this ev spread accomplish?

Also about Ferrothorn where I believe a little over a hundred seventy in spd while the rest in hp and defense. What this do?

Lastly, on Pex, what item does it use? Is it still black sludge or is there something else?

I saw this in the metagame thread
'Smogon doesn't ban Pokemon to increase the viability of a bunch of lower-ranked mons.'
My question is, why not? ik the aim is to create a balanced metagame but, once the meta is balanced to a point where most ppl are satisfied, why not ban to make the meta more fun? (assuming ppl want that ofc)

Oh, follow up question, I've been seeing in some posts about Corv going about max hp, a hundred sixty something def and eighty something spd. I can't remember the exact values but it was something close to that one. What does this ev spread accomplish?

Also about Ferrothorn where I believe a little over a hundred seventy in spd while the rest in hp and defense. What this do?

Lastly, on Pex, what item does it use? Is it still black sludge or is there something else?
Pex pretty much always uses Black Sludge because it provides recovery and discourages people from trying to Trick it a choice item. Regenerator mitigates a lot of chip damage, meaning HDB aren't super necessary. Those defense values are certainly meant to take a certain amount of hits from specific targets, but idk which ones.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I saw this in the metagame thread
'Smogon doesn't ban Pokemon to increase the viability of a bunch of lower-ranked mons.'
My question is, why not? ik the aim is to create a balanced metagame but, once the meta is balanced to a point where most ppl are satisfied, why not ban to make the meta more fun? (assuming ppl want that ofc)
You literally just said it yourself. Smogon aims to create a balanced metagame but it doesn't have to be fun, which is good because fun is a very subjective word. Some people like the current metagame, others don't like myself

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is the Healing wish Latias HO still viable? If so can someone help me build a solid team with it (which HO it fits best into, which pokemon appreciate HW etc.)

Healing Wish Latias can still function. But it needs a lot of support and is barely used these days. But I personally would argue that this can still function to Healing Wish Pokemon like Bisharp, Scizor, Rillaboom, Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, Weavile, Volcarona, Garchomp back up. They would definitely appreciate of Healing Wish to get another go, as they are all highly threatening by themselves. However, Latias is - as stated above - a very awkward case, as it faces a lot of highly common issues currently.

If you go for it I would make it as bulky as I could, with 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe and a Timid nature, so it has the bulk to serve as a Healing Wish-support. Roost / Recover and Healing Wish should be staples on the set, and Leftovers the item choice. Alternatively, and probably the better choice could be a Choice Scarf with Healing Wish, as you don't have to fear the many faster attackers coming at your way, before Latias could even do something. The spread could stay the same so it is as bulky as possible.

hope that helped! :)

You literally just said it yourself. Smogon aims to create a balanced metagame but it doesn't have to be fun, which is good because fun is a very subjective word. Some people like the current metagame, others don't like myself
This doesn't answer the question
I asked 'why not ban to make the meta more fun? (assuming ppl want that ofc)'
I know what smogon aims to do with bans, my question was why not do it differently if people want that.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I know what smogon aims to do with bans, my question was why not do it differently if people want that.
Uh what? How does it not answer? You asked 'why not ban to make the meta more fun' and I told you that fun is subjective

What exactly do you mean by 'differently'? You some sort of complex ban?

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Simply put, fun is subjective, what one person finds to be an enjoyable metagame may be another persons hell. Competitiveness is a much more objective measure, and there is fun in a competitive metagame as well. Is a game fun when your opponent has broken sweeper X and you couldn't do anything about it? Or is it fun when there's an evenly matched game, with the better player coming out on top more often than not?

Not everyone wants "that". The higher-ups do playerbase surveys on occasion, and the most recent one seemed to indicate that people think the metagame is pretty good right now. Right now, the talk of the town is a potential suspect for Zamazenta-Crowned, which is a bit crazy, but people really want it, so here we go.

I'm gonna make a bold assumption about why you were motivated to ask that question and say that while Toxapex is an abomination of game design and is living proof that the word "balance" likely isn't even Game Freak's vocabulary, it's in a game that has been power-crept to near the point of absurdity. In several past generations, it certainly would have been Ubers material. As is, though, Pokemon is by nature a very sink-or-swim game. There are very few who have remained on top for the whole of their existence, as if one cannot handle what is "in" at the moment, one is sure to sink.

It's likely that your favorite has some niche in a lower tier, even if OU is far too harsh an environment for them. Sadly, some are doomed to a life in Untiered purgatory; for example, Mr. Rime is incredibly fun to use due to his absurdly large movepool, but his typing and stats leave much to be desired and effectively using him in OU is nigh impossible. He's not even on the viability rankings for any tier except for the other metagame Inverse.

You know, I feel like I was going to make a point of some kind, but I lost focus and ended up slipping into flowery prose like I usually do when going off on a tangent like that. I switch between elegant prose and casual banter at the drop of a hat; reading my thoughts must be incredibly jarring...

Would throat spray+sap sipper azu be a extremely surprising gimmick set? I remember catching some9ne off guard with it in nat dex but I wonder if it can work in ou especially with rillaboom everywhere.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Would throat spray+sap sipper azu be a extremely surprising gimmick set? I remember catching some9ne off guard with it in nat dex but I wonder if it can work in ou especially with rillaboom everywhere.
I think, while your set is creative and has definitely a thought process behind that, it is still rather unviable as it faces too many issues. Azumarills best niche, in which it shines on, is its Belly Drum set with Huge Power, and that is still not on many teams, not even on hyper offense is it seen that often.
Although, if you aim to run that set, I would configurate the set differently, this could be an example of it:

:azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic / Rest

If you want to check Rillaboom with a non-standard set. EV spread and nature is costumizable depending on the needs of the rest of your team and what you want Azumarill to do.

Last edited:
I think, while your set is creative and has definitely a thought process behind that, it is still rather unviable as it faces too many issues. Azumarills best niche, in which it shines on, is its Belly Drum set with Huge Power, and that is still not on many teams, not even on hyper offense.
Although, if you aim to run that set, I would configurate the set differently, this could be an example of it:

:azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

If you want to check Rillaboom with a non-standard set. EV spread and nature is costumizable depending on the needs of the rest of your team and what you want Azumarill to do.

thank you so much! have a great day! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)