Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Are the spreads on Melmetal's analysis page still the ones used for its sets? If not, what are the spreads it usually uses? Specifically, what's the highest speed that Melmetal tends to run?
12 Speed to hit 107 to outcreep Toxapex without investment which only hits 106, is a considerable benchmark and an important one. And yes the spreads didnt change that much, they're pretty uptodate!

How do you deal with DD dragonite?
I typically see bulky or max max with ice punch on ladder
It feels like I need to have my offensive checks out at all times or sac half of my team

It feels like I need to have my offensive checks out at all times or sac half of my team
Toxapex is a hassle for Dragonite being able to take hits rather easily while being able to remove stat buffs with Haze and remove Heavy-Duty Boots with Knock Off. Corviknight itself is another issue as any variant lacking Fire Punch cannot deal much back in return as Corviknight just stalls out and wears it down with Earthquake.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Personally I've been using toxic Lando and Corvi stall to deal with Dragonite, then just keep intimidating it over and over. A full hp Lando can actually survive ice punch so if I switch in on the dd, I can toxic it then stall with Corv

Toxapex is a hassle for Dragonite being able to take hits rather easily while being able to remove stat buffs with Haze and remove Heavy-Duty Boots with Knock Off. Corviknight itself is another issue as any variant lacking Fire Punch cannot deal much back in return as Corviknight just stalls out and wears it down with Earthquake.
I was aware of both of those mons being good vs dnite, but they both sap a lot of momentum whenever they come in
I was looking for maybe a more offensive answer that can come in and threaten dnite out (if it even exists lol), without inviting in something like slowbro
Or perhaps some kind of strategy for dealing with dnite that I've overlooked

I was aware of both of those mons being good vs dnite, but they both sap a lot of momentum whenever they come in
I was looking for maybe a more offensive answer that can come in and threaten dnite out (if it even exists lol), without inviting in something like slowbro
Or perhaps some kind of strategy for dealing with dnite that I've overlooked
If you want something like that, I guess banded weavile ice shard KOs dragonite if its multiscale is broken, so you could uturn out to it and it isnt passive; but banded weavile is a bit inflexible and very rocks weak so you need to take that into account

Hello I was team building and what are the last two moves on Grimmsnarl after screens? Do you have any suggestions for EVs?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hello I was team building and what are the last two moves on Grimmsnarl after screens? Do you have any suggestions for EVs?
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spirit Break
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

I personally run this. You can slot in Twave over Taunt as well but you let defensive mons do whatever they want without Taunt.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spirit Break
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

I personally run this. You can slot in Twave over Taunt as well but you let defensive mons do whatever they want without Taunt.
Thanks AM

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
2 questions, what does the new offensive Buzzwole set look like? And what is a good mon for a core with Three attacks + Thunderwave Melmetal?
CC / Ice / Leech Life > EQ > PJab / Roost with 241 speed or more and rest in HP and attack (adamant). I would calc bisharp, weavile, kartana, and non choice band urshifu to determine more specifics depending on your team. HDB or RH are viable items.

I would try Fsight + Teleport Slowking or Wish Clefable with Melmetal and an effective form of speed control

To add onto what Finch said Dragapult is a great partner with Thunder Wave + 3 Attacks as it enjoys the ability in breaking majority of Dragapult’s switch-ins and can spread status for Dragapult to possibly run Hex. In return Dragapult gives it speed control and also can bring in Melmetal in safely with U-Turn while pressuring many checks of Melmetal like Zapdos and Slowbro.

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Hello I'm new here in this thread but I wanted to ask, what can sun teams use to check Kyurem reliably? SInce I'm kinda forced to run Torkoal Heatran and Landorus since theyre so good and provide so much role compression, but all 3 get smacked by Kyurem lol. Any ideas?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hello I'm new here in this thread but I wanted to ask, what can sun teams use to check Kyurem reliably? SInce I'm kinda forced to run Torkoal Heatran and Landorus since theyre so good and provide so much role compression, but all 3 get smacked by Kyurem lol. Any ideas?
Usually they run a Blissey or Clefable with Teleport to get momentum for the Fire types and Venusaur. These Pokemon can help -- alongside the Fire types to ease prediction. It is also worth noting that Landorus is not a necessity on Sun and you are not going to be able to check/counter everything with these types.

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Usually they run a Blissey or Clefable with Teleport to get momentum for the Fire types and Venusaur. These Pokemon can help -- alongside the Fire types to ease prediction. It is also worth noting that Landorus is not a necessity on Sun and you are not going to be able to check/counter everything with these types.
Thank you! I like how Clefable sounds since it can knock off items (like opposing heatran's lefties)

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Appreciate it. Since we're on the topic already, what would be good replacements for Landorus?
Depends on what you're looking for. Sun teams tend to use Torkoal for SR, so if you want a Defogger, I would advise trying Corviknight to cover a lot of crucial resistances, give you a Steel type, and still check Grounds like Landorus-T. Mandibuzz is also a good replacement if you are worried about Dragapult, Aegislash, and long-term Grasses. Landorus-T is still an option, but it is by no means a staple on this archetype of team.

If you mean more in general rather than on Sun in particular, Garchomp and Hippowdon are alternative SR Grounds and the same pool of Defoggers plus Zapdos and Tornadus-T can also suffice on that end.

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Depends on what you're looking for. Sun teams tend to use Torkoal for SR, so if you want a Defogger, I would advise trying Corviknight to cover a lot of crucial resistances, give you a Steel type, and still check Grounds like Landorus-T. Mandibuzz is also a good replacement if you are worried about Dragapult, Aegislash, and long-term Grasses. Landorus-T is still an option, but it is by no means a staple on this archetype of team.

If you mean more in general rather than on Sun in particular, Garchomp and Hippowdon are alternative SR Grounds and the same pool of Defoggers plus Zapdos and Tornadus-T can also suffice on that end.
Much appreciated those are some solid options, I'm a fan of sun teams so I'm gonna try both Mandi and Corv.

What are some ways to beat FS with stall/semi stall without using Shedinja?

I’m trying to build a stall team rn and I’m trying to minimize match-up RNG according to usage stats. It definitely needs a way to consistently beat Future Sight and I need some ideas to do that without using Shedinja because it opens up weaknesses to sand and stuff.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader

I’m trying to build a stall team rn and I’m trying to minimize match-up RNG according to usage stats. It definitely needs a way to consistently beat Future Sight and I need some ideas to do that without using Shedinja because it opens up weaknesses to sand and stuff.
This is a question that is impossible to answer in general. There are innumerable possible combinations; not even the most durable and well-constructed stall team can assure coverage against everything and if this was possible, it would be used in every single game without exception. This is a far cry from reality.

The best way to combat Future Sight + [insert complimentary physcial attacker] is to have ways to apply pressure, carrying durable multi-purposed Psychic resists like Mew, Slowbro, and Mandibuzz, and to punish them in exchange for punishing you. Bulkier teams can afford to do this, but fuller stalls cannot always do so. Full stall has a whole laundry list of issues right now, which does include this.

i personally love playing full stall, and running protect on a mon that takes future sight well seems to work decently for me. you see their mon use FS, you switch into your protect mon as they switch and then protect. while you still take sight damage, you dont get the double whammy. I personally use blissey for this as i can spare the slot there, but there are several possibilities. this way the only future sight threat is watershifu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)