Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

How does the utility umbrella item work?
It nullifies the effects of rain and sun against the user. For example, Water and Fire moves don't get boosted power in their respective weathers against Pokémon holding the umbrella (which is why Blissey holds it in Ubers.) I believe it also nullifies stuff like Chlorophyll and Solar Power completely.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
it negates the effects of weathers boosting effects for attacks. So if rain is up for example and your opponent clicks scald, the damage modifier that rain applies to water moves doesn't take effect if you're mon is holding the item.
ty was under impression that it also negated the negative effects of weather on your own moves (i.e using water moves in sun or fire moves in rain), after testing i guess it doesn't

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Who's the best double Hazard setter for Hazard Stack Hyper Offense?
If by double Hazard you mean Stealth Rock + Spikes, then Mew is probably the Pokemon you should use. You can use Taunt alongside with these two moves to prevent the use of Defog or shut down slower Hazards setters and Explosion in order to safely switch-in one of your breakers once you're done with setting your Hazards.

Shuckle is technically the best user of Stealth Rock + Sticky Web (I don't even remember if there is an other one), but I would recommand not using it, and more generally not using a team that rely on Sticky Web because of the number of fast Heavy Duty Boots users who will just mess up your team (things like Weavile and Zeraora for instance).

Hope this answer your question.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
If by double Hazard you mean Stealth Rock + Spikes, then Mew is probably the Pokemon you should use. You can use Taunt alongside with these two moves to prevent the use of Defog or shut down slower Hazards setters and Explosion in order to safely switch-in one of your breakers once you're done with setting your Hazards.

Shuckle is technically the best user of Stealth Rock + Sticky Web (I don't even remember if there is an other one), but I would recommand not using it, and more generally not using a team that rely on Sticky Web because of the number of fast Heavy Duty Boots users who will just mess up your team (things like Weavile and Zeraora for instance).

Hope this answer your question.
Thanks that answers it. I wanted to know about Stealth Rock + Spikes (edited my initial post now to avoid any confusion)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Does the damage calculator have a dark mode? If yes, how do I activate it? Looking at this thing at night is painful

Also, where do I ask about stuff like this? I know this is the wrong area but I really don't know where else to go

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
what are the most commonly used toxapex spreads nowadays?
Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald / Toxic / Light Screen
- Recover
- Haze

This spread lets you survive three Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Dragapult after Stealth Rock and an Earth Power from Timid Nidoking from full, with the rest maximising physical bulk for Weavile and Urshifu-R. Toxapex's spread is very customisable depending on team composition, however.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald / Toxic / Light Screen
- Recover
- Haze

This spread lets you survive three Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Dragapult after Stealth Rock and an Earth Power from Timid Nidoking from full, with the rest maximising physical bulk for Weavile and Urshifu-R. Toxapex's spread is very customisable depending on team composition, however.
I've seen many spreads more or less geared towards special defense in teams scattered around the rmt, team builder lab and bazaar threads, but I wanted to have a fairly common benchmark for defense investment specifically, so thank you for the example.

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
What is the most common spread for Clefable nowadays and what does it do?
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 331-391 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 177-208 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Dragapult Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

calm mind sets often run speed for corviknight & rest in hp/def, while unaware sets run max physdef to blanket check most physical setup sweepers

Katy

Banned deucer.
I saw this post this month: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-3539.3672210/post-8942200 and I was wondering why Entei was not ranked in the VR. Victini is in B+ iirc, and boots Entei does not strike me as significantly outclassed by Victini. Being better against Lando-T and Heatran, two of the best and most common mons in the meta seems like a good enough niche to me.
Entei wasn't good enough to be in the OU VR, as all its niches got better filled by other Fire-types it had to compete with, such as Victini, Volcarona, Heatran. They have either a better offensive typing and a wider movepool to profit from or a better defensive utility, in the cxase of Heatran. Entei didn't really jump in the OU metagame as a threat as its small(er) movepool and less utility meant, it wasn't a pick at first hand to consider in when teambuilding. Entei might be a fun-pokemon on some teams, but it needs heavy support after it loses its Heavy-Duty Boots, in which it has not the wallbreaking power, which it usually had with Choice Band, but Choice Band means, it has to give up a necessary itemslot to stay alive for longterm, as entry hazards are very difficult for Entei to play around. It needs a good help here, as Victini on the other hand has U-turn to pivot out from unsafe matchups and Heatran, due to its part Steel-typing is neutral to Stealth Rocks as example.

Hopefully that helped :)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Maybe not the place for it but where do you learn about the current meta? Haven't played since DPP and I'm pretty lost
I would advise hopping on Pokemon Showdown and playing games with teams you find on the forums or in the OU room (their sample teams are good for beginners). You should also read up on the viability rankings and even metagame discussion threads in order to learn more from players themselves, but nothing compensates for firsthand experience.

Maybe not the place for it but where do you learn about the current meta? Haven't played since DPP and I'm pretty lost
lurk the OU forum- some great resources such as the vr, metagame discussion thread, sample teams, etc. if you want to build after picking up a basic snapshot of the metagame i recommend checking out projects such as pokemon matchmaking, good cores and victim of the week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)