Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Reposting this here cause I haven't gotten a response on the VR:

What does Latias do to warrant a C+ rank on the VR? Is it because of Healing Wish or bulkier sets to set it apart from other Dragons? Same goes for Glowbro & Geezing, I have no idea what their niches are at this point.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Reposting this here cause I haven't gotten a response on the VR:

What does Latias do to warrant a C+ rank on the VR? Is it because of Healing Wish or bulkier sets to set it apart from other Dragons? Same goes for Glowbro & Geezing, I have no idea what their niches are at this point.
Latias has the benefit of Healing Wish and supportive tools so on certain structures it can give a teammember a secondary life again, preferrably a strong wallbreaker or sweeper for the lategame aspect. Its bulk is also reasonable 90 def and 130 spdef, wich is pretty solid considering when it wants to go for a calm mind set with stored power and weaskness policy on certain hyper offensive team structures. It can fullfill this role pretty decently with the pretty solid overall bulk and a decent spatt and a good speed tier.

Glowbro and Geezing are still ranked due to the very fringe niches they provide, with the former using a Nasty Plot set and it can even opt itself to the annoying quick draw and quick claw set if you will. The latter can still check some pokemon in the metagame which are prevelant such as Rillaboom, Hawlucha, and it can check Urshifu-R, Dragapult and Tapu Fini as well. Its capable of removing their Boosts with haze and has Aromatherapy as well, to give it support for its teammates. But both of them fit only on certain builds if you build around them, Geezing as example is better for bulkier builds, due to the massive supportive movepool it can give its partners, builds such as balance and semi-stall are good in which Geezing can warrant a provideable niche.

hopefully that helped :)

Eeveekid10

Whether to uturn or eq the heatran?
1.Is there an LGPE format which allows ''Awakening Values''(AVs)
2.(This is a question I had from april but I didnt really ask anyone, I am kinda new to smogon too)
Why was hail banned from NU and the lower tiers(I know it had some of the powerful abusers like asandslash and arctovish, but I wanted to know the exact reason), also I am unable to find the thread mentioning the hail ban from NU and PU

Edit: Thank you Smogon Username abhi

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
What is 24 Speed EVs on Heatran run for? I can't actually find anything you outspeed with it.
It is for creeping other Heatrans basically, like lets say someone uses only 16 or 20 EVs in specially defensive Heatrans spread with 24 you can outcreep it. Its the same interaction with Reuni and Pex creeping each other or Melmetal having 12 Speed EVs to creep pex by 1 point 107 compared to 106. It also outruns by a mile other threats like Iron Defense Magnezone, which can be pretty handy as well.

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1.Is there an LGPE format which allows ''Awakening Values''(AVs)
2.(This is a question I had from april but I didnt really ask anyone, I am kinda new to smogon too)
Why was hail banned from NU and the lower tiers(I know it had some of the powerful abusers like asandslash and arctovish, but I wanted to know the exact reason), also I am unable to find the thread mentioning the hail ban from NU and PU
Im afraid this isnt the place to ask those questions,

Refer to the SM SQSA Thread (im guessing this is where LGPE questions go since there isnt a separate thread for LGPE), and the NU SQSA thread.

What's a good spread for Toxapex right now in the meta?
Alternatively:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald / Toxic / Light Screen
- Recover
- Haze

This spread lets you survive three Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Dragapult after Stealth Rock and an Earth Power from Timid Nidoking from full, with the rest maximising physical bulk for Weavile and Urshifu-R. Toxapex's spread is very customisable depending on team composition, however.

How is Shedinja used to combat future sight for stall teams? I was under the impression that Wonder Guard and Protect don't work on Future Sight. Was that changed this generation?

Hi all! Is max/max physically defensive Clefable a thing in the metagame nowadays? What are the most common spreads for defensive Clef, both Unaware and Magic Guard?

Hi all! Is max/max physically defensive Clefable a thing in the metagame nowadays? What are the most common spreads for defensive Clef, both Unaware and Magic Guard?
Unaware typically is 252/252 physically defensive with a calm mind aromatherapy set on stall/stall-ish teams, because many threatening set up sweepers that Clefable can check are physical attackers (see chomp, dnite, kartana, etc). Plus, it can setup calm mind which makes special attacks much easier to stomach in a boosting 1v1 with threats such as other magic guard calm mind clefables or tapu koko.

I would consider some speed evs for mirror matchups and outspeeding mons that try to speed creep it as well

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
what are the best mons on which to build atm? (anti meta)
Yeah Volcanion is a cool one, especially with the decrease in usage of Slowking.

Other Mons I can think about are:

:nidoking: This thing used to be a threat to reckon in OU, but it fell down in Usage and kind of disappeared. Most people are not prepared to face it and it beneficits a lot from the low usage of special walls like Blissey and Slowking. This mon can easily force progress against a lot of teams if you manage to switch in it safely on the field.

:aegislash: Spamming Shadow Ball is really good in OU and if Dragapult can be sometimes hard to wall, Aegislash is almost all of the time hard to wall. Sure it's not fast and can't pivot, but it has a great defensive typing and defensive stats in shield form and can destroy most defensive cores with its specs set.

:mamoswine: Mamo has a very good dual STAB and hits decently hard. Someone made a great RMT featuring it a few hours ago and explained whey this mon is a great anti meta tool. Here it is: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ense-peaked-1-2023-ft-mamo-fat-dnite.3690167/

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
what are the best mons on which to build atm? (anti meta)
Many great options atm, I’ll list a few I been playing around with a lot recently.

:blacephalon: with both blissey and ttar going down in usage this mon has little to no switchins. Not to mention many people opting to use spdef pex and clef as their “ghost resists”. It’s able to tear through many defensive cores with its specs variant, scarf is also very good vs HO builds.
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Overheat

:rotom-heat: is one of the more reliable arctozolt checks right now with access to painsplit. It can also opt to go for the classic np discharge set or a more support variant with defog/toxic. Not to mention it serves as a great defensive check vs koko, dnite, and rillaboom although it does hate taking knocks.
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot/Toxic/Defog
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Pain Split

:victini: I don’t think vic is the greatest option right now with weavile and urshifu surging in usage but pairing this demon with fsight support allows you to break most fat cores. Switching into this mon even without fsight is also very hard to do with its access to a 180 bp stab move, bolt strike, glaciate, scorching sands, and energy ball.
Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Glaciate/Energy Ball/Scorching Sands
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Last edited:
Yeah Volcanion is a cool one, especially with the decrease in usage of Slowking.

Other Mons I can think about are:

:nidoking: This thing used to be a threat to reckon in OU, but it fell down in Usage and kind of disappeared. Most people are not prepared to face it and it beneficits a lot from the low usage of special walls like Blissey and Slowking. This mon can easily force progress against a lot of teams if you manage to switch in it safely on the field.

:aegislash: Spamming Shadow Ball is really good in OU and if Dragapult can be sometimes hard to wall, Aegislash is almost all of the time hard to wall. Sure it's not fast and can't pivot, but it has a great defensive typing and defensive stats in shield form and can destroy most defensive cores with its specs set.

:mamoswine: Mamo has a very good dual STAB and hits decently hard. Someone made a great RMT featuring it a few hours ago and explained whey this mon is a great anti meta tool. Here it is: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ense-peaked-1-2023-ft-mamo-fat-dnite.3690167/
Thanks my bro :D

Try Volcanion — it has few reliable switch ins and has gained traction recently.
Ok thanks man !

Many great options atm, I’ll list a few I been playing around with a lot recently.

:blacephalon: with both blissey and ttar going down in usage this mon has little to no switchins. Not to mention many people opting to use spdef pex and clef as their “ghost resists”. It’s able to tear through many defensive cores with its specs variant, scarf is also very good vs HO builds.
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Overheat

:rotom-heat: is one of the more reliable arctozolt checks right now with access to painsplit. It can also opt to go for the classic np discharge set or a more support variant with defog/toxic. Not to mention it serves as a great defensive check vs koko, dnite, and rillaboom although it does hate taking knocks.
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot/Toxic/Defog
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Pain Split

:victini: I don’t think vic is the greatest option right now with weavile and urshifu surging in usage but pairing this demon with fsight support allows you to break most fat cores. Switching into this mon even without fsight is also very hard to do with its access to a 180 bp stab move, bolt strike, glaciate, scorching sands, and energy ball.
Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Glaciate/Energy Ball/Scorching Sands
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
Ok cool, i've heard of rotom-h, its a really cool mon atm, with which mons would you pair it ?

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
Is Defog Rotom-Wash any good? Also which mons are generally the best forms of hazard removal in the tier?

Thanks in advance.
defog rotom is solid on more offensive teams, switches into lando/tran and can punish most of the other hazard setters in the tier with wisp/hydro

ive found that defog lando (because it beats tran and can switch into almost every other rocker) and fog corv (because of pressure & defensive typing leaving it only really vulnerable to tran) are the most consistent and viable options

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey what is the viable rillazone magnezone set?
Depends if you want to get Ferrothorn, or definitely kill corv and don't just leave it at like 10%- usually it's the former so
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic/Substitute/Teleport
if you dont care about ferro

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)