Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I got to the late 1600s and 1700s but I need advice on laddering since I’m tilting
As someone who has been struggling in this near exact range because of tilting, the best advice I can give is identify when you're starting to tilt. When you finally see the signs that you're getting tilted, finish your current battle and take a few hours or days break. The last thing you want is to play this or any game when you're tilted because you are more prone to making bad decisions. I learned this the hard way in dota 2. So, take note of when you are starting to lose it. For me, when it gets to the point where I slam my table, I just block showdown on my browser and not play for a week

I’ve noticed some problems I have. I hesitate to defog after I set up hazards cuz I want to wear down the opponents team, but I end up sacking my defogger early. Another thing is I panic when Lando Toxic’s or Torn Knocks something. Lele is a pain in the ass to play around, cause if I switch into Tran or Ferro I get F-Blast’d to the face, if I don’t I risk losing a mon. I’m also scared of Ferro’s Leech Seed. If I try to go into Clef or my own Ferro, it gets spikes up for free. If I try to defog them, or I bring out something like Tran, Ferro clicks Leech Seed and Knock. So how do I deal with this mindset?
With the defog and hazards conundrum, I've just been solving this based on my team and the enemy's. If the other guy's team is more vulnerable to hazards than mine, then I won't defog. This is where the sack defog comes into play. If what I said earlier is true, then you are not gonna want to defog most of the time so feel free to sack your defogger but if you really need it because you have something like band Weavile with scarf Blacephalon, then don't unless you really need to. I just find that it would really depend on how much hazards would affect your team

With the Lando toxic, there's next to no guaranteed way to deal with it without Ferrothorn or Corviknight. You can be ballsy and send your steel type in against Landorus but the above two are usually the safest ones since they don't mind eq that much. From my experience, the best way to figure out if Lando is gonna click eq or not is by seeing how free eq is against my team. If it's not free, like 80% of the time, that Lando is not gonna eq. Of course, this is still a gamble but then again, we're literally playing a game where the fate of the battle lies in the hands of a 70% hurricane

For Tornadus, you really can't do anything to stop this. The only true way to stop Tornadus from spamming knock off is by putting Zapdos on every single team. Yes, Zapdos might still lose its boots but Torn cannot do the one thing it is supposed to do, spam knock off and u turn. A paralyzed Tornadus is pretty much dead weight but this isn't the most ideal. I find that the best way to deal with this obnoxious knock off spammer is by having at least one mon that doesn't really mind losing its item like metal birb, who has roost, and metal durian, who can infinitely annoy you with leech seed

On Lele, it's usually the same reason as Lando. Essentially, how desperate would that Lele be to use focus blast? Would it have only limited chances to do so because of offensive or hazard pressure? If yes, it's probably gonna focus miss but if not, it's probably gonna go for its stab. While that can end up being guessing games, regenerator mons is usually the safest answer for this. If Lele goes for focus miss then your regen mon is probably not gonna die to it ever but if it goes for stabs, then you'll be able to respond accordingly. Of course, you can't always put a regen mon on your team so what I've been personally doing is simply checking how my team matches up against Lele. If Lele can punch a hole by clicking focus miss, it would probably want to do that first chance it gets but if not, then its usually gonna try to wear down my team

That's the thing about Ferrothorn. If it's on the field, it will find a way to annoy you no matter which pokemon you have. Unless you have you're own durian to even the spikes game, the only other way would be taunt. My personal favorite is using trapper Fini. That mon pretty much exists to remove Ferrothorn from existence but again, this ain't ideal because you're not gonna put Fini on every team. I guess the best way to deal with this thing is by offensive pressure like low kick Weavile or flamethrower Garchomp. Durian has no recovery so you might as well exploit that but you are gonna be leech seeded at least once. Essentially, don't be afraid of leech seed. That's what Ferrothorn does and the reason why it's so damn obnoxious

Lastly, the advice I have for that mindset stuff you mentioned is don't tilt. Since you mentioned tilting, you are probably starting to tilt and that can cause you to have that mindset. But if you're not tilting, it usually comes down to the state of the game. Based on experience alone, there are two things that can help what move you should choose. First is how free is a certain move to spam and two, how much is a specific mon still needed against your team. For example, if you have a Lele + Melmetal team, the other guy will want their Ferrothorn as healthy as possible so they're probably gonna spam leech seed whenever they get the chance. In the end, there's no guarantee. All you can really do is accept the fact that Tornadus would possibly knock off your entire team and that Ferrothorn will drive you insane. Once you accept that these shit happens, it usually becomes easier to deal with

I got to the late 1600s and 1700s but I need advice on laddering since I’m tilting. I’ve noticed some problems I have. I hesitate to defog after I set up hazards cuz I want to wear down the opponents team, but I end up sacking my defogger early. Another thing is I panic when Lando Toxic’s or Torn Knocks something. Lele is a pain in the ass to play around, cause if I switch into Tran or Ferro I get F-Blast’d to the face, if I don’t I risk losing a mon. I’m also scared of Ferro’s Leech Seed. If I try to go into Clef or my own Ferro, it gets spikes up for free. If I try to defog them, or I bring out something like Tran, Ferro clicks Leech Seed and Knock. So how do I deal with this mindset?

One more thing. I tried running Trick Clef with Pult or Melm but I am unsure of what Clef checks other than Pult and Buzzwole. Also what spread does Clef run these days, the Strategy Dex spread seems outdated.
If you're having trouble or want some tips, you can always try to put up an RMT.

Tapu Lele is almost always choice locked, so if it clicks Moonblast or Psychic, you could switch into a Steel type. Most Lele tend to run FBlast, so if it hasn't moved yet, you might want to double into something that resists Fighting moves. A solid counter for Lele is Corviknight which doesn't care much about Focus Blast, yet you have to be aware of Lele with Thunder.

I think most Clefable in the meta are usually Calm Mind ones or Wish + Protect support. Obviously there are many different sets that you will see around like Unaware utility ones. Actually Clef checks so many mons especially with its insane abilities. If you have trouble with your Lando getting Toxic'd, you can run a Wish + Protect + Aromatherapy one to act as a Cleric for your team.

Don't worry if your mon gets Knocked Off, as that's very common. You should use the Knock Off as an advantage. For example, if you're locked into FBlast on Lele, and Torn comes in and Knocks Off, you can use another move, and if a steel switches in, you get an easy FBlast. Although getting Knocked Off isn't always ideal, for example in the end game when you would need your Scarf, you shouldn't panic.

Regarding weavile's ice stab, is it viable to run icicle crash over triple axel to have a more spammable stab or are there important mons that weav can threaten only with triple axel?

Curious about something. Future Sight's buff to 120 BP seems to have been back in Gen 6. Did anything else mechanically change to make the move more useful, or does it just happen that meta trends have made users of it more viable this gen than in the past?

Regarding weavile's ice stab, is it viable to run icicle crash over triple axel to have a more spammable stab or are there important mons that weav can threaten only with triple axel?
I mean Triple Axel is useful to break through sashes and Substitutes, so it is better at threatening certain mons. Icicle Crash is for flinching ur opp down and avoiding Rocky Helmet damage, but Triple Axel is generally better.

Curious about something. Future Sight's buff to 120 BP seems to have been back in Gen 6. Did anything else mechanically change to make the move more useful, or does it just happen that meta trends have made users of it more viable this gen than in the past?
The fact that Future Sight pairs well with one of the best Fighting types in the meta, Urshifu-R makes it so deadly. Especially since the most common Future Sight users are the Slowtwins, which are such good pivots in the game, checking many things. Not only that, it helps greatly against wallbreaking and wearing down mons like Heatran and Ferrothorn. It definitely is more viable this gen than in past gens, since Weavile is the most common Dark type, which can easily be forced out so that it doesn't take the Future Sight hit.

From what I understand, CAP's Equilibra played a part in bringing Future Sight to prominence. Equilibra was designed to explore the then-unexplored potential of Doom Desire, and it was so incredibly effective that it had to be nerfed. This in turn inspired people to take what they learned about delayed attacks and try to apply it to vanilla gameplay.

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
what spread and moveset does rocks tankchomp use? the one in the analysis can't pop balloon tran so it looks obsolete

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
what spread and moveset does rocks tankchomp use? the one in the analysis can't pop balloon tran so it looks obsolete
You can just replace toxic with rock slide or aqua tail. The only notable targets that toxic hit are Landorus and Slowbro but since Garchomp isn't gonna be killing them with a tank set, you can use one of the two I mentioned. Aqua tail is the superior option as it mauls Heatran but rock slide is also a decent choice so you don't lose to offensive Zapdos. Also, that spread isn't obsolete. The speed evs and nature is to outrun Nidoking, which is gaining popularity these days. Alternatively, you can go with 56 speed without +spe nature to outrun modest Heatran. Although you will need +spe nature if you wanna outrun timid ones

Why the hell is Starmie in NU after having a niche in OU for the first 7 gens? Also, does Weavile and A. Ninetales make a solid core?

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Why the hell is Starmie in NU after having a niche in OU for the first 7 gens? Also, does Weavile and A. Ninetales make a solid core?
Starmie wasn't viable last generation in OU, and its dropoff is partly for the same reason as a lot of others: changes to the tiering cutoff resulting in less mons in each tier.

Weavile and Alolan Ninetales can work together on Aurora Veil hyper offense, but I wouldn't suggest running three Ice-types on a hail team.

2HP

Banned deucer.
If we want to get technical about this, there is actually a giant counter to both:
:ss/amoonguss:
although there's more than many reasons not to run this in OU so I wouldn't personally try to find a perfect counter. landot is the best catch-all check to these electric types that actually isnt passive. if you're looking for something more interesting, tapu bulu has strong matchup against zeraora and is still perfectly capable of checking koko once or twice if necessary, while nidoking counters koko pretty hard and can sort of put the zeraora user in a bad position where knock off is the only thing that's not giving nidoking a free switch (and you dont want to do that). chomp + ferro is a pretty good core that handles both. rillaboom is actually a good offensive check to both and can switch into either once or twice, but definitely not a reliable and durable answer.

as I said, the difference is very slim and not strict at all. the progression from most defensive to offensive is balance - bo - offense, with the slimmest of differences being between balance and bo. both team archetypes have 1 speed control, 1 primary breaker and 3-4 defensive backbone. bo takes a slightly more offensive approach with the defensive backbone with pokèmon like melmetal and zapdos compressing defensive and offensive capabilities. balance usually takes a more defensive, hazard/knock off/uturn slow approach with mons like ferrothorn, defog tornt and stuff like that. offense is more evidently attack oriented with obligatory speed control + scarf + 1/2 breaker + 2/3 bulky pivots with offensive capabilities. your typical cb beat up weavile team is a pretty solid offense build.

very much on topic, i see demon mew being more useful on more offensive teams because they need to drag their counters (weavile above all) out of the game with lures and stuff like that before they lose to it. weavile being consistently top 5 in usage and being pretty good lategame with its boots sd set makes it paramount that you remove it as soon as possibile, which is usually better achieved on offensive teams with lures like colbur slowbro, flame body heatran, yache berry garchomp and stuff like this.

hi! specs gengar is very difficult to support because it's weak and also usually outsped by every common offensive pokèmon (you got your scarf kartanas and leles, your dragapults, weaviles, zeraoras, etc). you definitely want a more offensive build as gengar not only is a glass cannon but its also pretty good at doubling up pressure against shared checks, which means a good start for a specs gengar build is pairing it with specs dragapult and a ghost resist and then going from there with an offensive ghost spam team. if you're asking why use gengar over blacephalon, first of all good question. secondly, gengar is that bit faster to actually matter because kartana is right in the middle of both, but gengar also requires less strict defog support and has a very handy stab sludge wave to decimate fairy types such as tapu fini and clefable which pult really appreciates.
I see.I was trying to put together a semi bulky offensive core around it including AV Tornadus and Room-W that could help Knock/Burn and chip pokemon that Gengar has trouble killing like SpDef Heatran/Toxapex/Tornadus but was unable to figure out a solid defensive backbone to round up the team. I will give it another try because I really want to use Gengar before I call it a failed experiment.Thank you very much for your input!

Has stall gotten better recently? High ladder spams it and the no.1 on the ladder also uses it. With developments over the past few months to counter anti-stall strats like Light Screen Pex for Future Sight or running Torn on stall for certain mus. As well as Tran running Toxic less which makes it easier to play around with Gastro.

And what is my counterplay to Light Screen Pex if my team relies on Future Sight + Breaker to deal with stall.

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
And what is my counterplay to Light Screen Pex if my team relies on Future Sight + Breaker to deal with stall.
get another breaker lol

stall has gotten better at punishing these bos that rely entirely on fs to break (or offenses using BO-breakers like blacephalon/volcanion/nidoking) which is why it's still viable. you answered your own question

Despite the available resources and my personal efforts to get better at teambuilding, I'm not too good at it. This is frustrating because I feel I would be better at and enjoy teambuilding a lot more if I was more independent and informed. Yet, I feel I lack the understanding, experience, and mentorship to do so. I'm not naturally good at many things, as some are, which means that it is a skill I need to build up to.

So, I have three questions for more experienced players:​

1. How did you learn how to teambuild?

2. Do you have any guidelines for specific building styles you follow?

3. What resources do you use when teambuilding? (If any?)

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Despite the available resources and my personal efforts to get better at teambuilding, I'm not too good at it. This is frustrating because I feel I would be better at and enjoy teambuilding a lot more if I was more independent and informed. Yet, I feel I the lack understanding, experience, and mentorship to do so. I'm not naturally good at many things, as some are, which means that it is a skill I need to build up to.

2. Do you have any guidelines for specific building styles you follow?

3. What resources do you use when teambuilding? (If any?)
1. I played hundreds of games (thousands at this point cause pepperidge farm meme and my join date) and when I wasn't playing I was watching/talking with other people who are active and or are better players/builders than me/ I was. The building makes more sense when you can actually apply it to what normally happens in a game.

2. Keep a mental note of how you'll check the normal sequences/mons/lines in whatever metagame you're playing. I think a big rookie mistake lot of newer/inexperienced people tend to make is they only cover a specific mon and they don't take into account specific sequences that happen. Checking Kartana for example isn't taking into account Kartana clicking Knock Off on your steel, then Magnezone trapping it to help Kartana clean later. Teambuilding is easier when you apply point 1 more. Unless you're preparing for a tournament no need to overthink builds. Most everything is just a rehash of something from past generations, just different mechanics and lines involved.

3. Replays and other peoples teams. I have enough experience to put two and two together and these days I don't normally use things like the VR/Smogdex with the exception of old gens. Replays and peoples teams gives me an idea of what others are running on a regular basis and gives you a good baseline to apply to your own building, the VRs not so much because they're normally outdated due to the nature of how current gens evolve, and are subjective to the group of people who are running it. It's good for a basic checklist B and up but that's about it, and VRs tend to be more accurate once a gen becomes an old gen as a smaller group of people have input.

There are tons of garbage teams in RMT for current gen stuff but the ones that have higher ladder ELOs are helpful for information as well. Just sponge info basically.

i really enjoy nihilego as a pokemon and see it's somewhat viable in OU this gen. i don't see any sets for OU though. i would imagine it's using meteor beam or is choiced, but i don't know what's doing well. can someone post a few sets and maybe a sample team?

i really enjoy nihilego as a pokemon and see it's somewhat viable in OU this gen. i don't see any sets for OU though. i would imagine it's using meteor beam or is choiced, but i don't know what's doing well. can someone post a few sets and maybe a sample team?
Below is the most common set used in OU, the Meteor Beam sweeper set. EVs set so that after it gets a kill, Beast Boost gives Nihilego a +1 Spe boost on top of the +1 SpA boost from Meteor Beam. The coverage you want is up to you, with some movesets opting to sub a moveslot for Stealth Rock.

Meteor Beam Sweeper
:ss/Nihilego:
Nihilego @ Power Herb :power herb:
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt (Etc.)
- Power Gem (Etc.)

:poke ball: Sample Teams :poke ball:
Here are some sample teams with this set:
:ss/nihilego::ss/zapdos-galar::ss/kartana::ss/celesteela::ss/garchomp::ss/tapu fini:
Felix Meteor Beam Offense
https://pokepast.es/49a1c9cc8d106a1c

:ss/Magnezone::ss/tornadus-therian::ss/landorus-therian::ss/tapu fini::ss/nihilego::ss/melmetal:
Nihi + CM Fini + ID Zone
https://pokepast.es/cb14ac2eb8bfaabe

:ss/nihilego::ss/necrozma::ss/celesteela::ss/landorus-therian::ss/kartana::ss/Zapdos-galar:
Triple Meteor Beam Spam ft anti-Lando core
https://pokepast.es/e0453186d815e54a

:ss/nihilego::ss/tapu lele::ss/magnezone::ss/weavile::ss/slowbro::ss/landorus-therian:
Nihilego Offense (Specs Nihilego)
https://pokepast.es/7f74a0b4bff10cf8

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Despite the available resources and my personal efforts to get better at teambuilding, I'm not too good at it. This is frustrating because I feel I would be better at and enjoy teambuilding a lot more if I was more independent and informed. Yet, I feel I lack the understanding, experience, and mentorship to do so. I'm not naturally good at many things, as some are, which means that it is a skill I need to build up to.

Before doing any battle, I usually check the vr. You are pretty much gonna have an idea of what each mons does based on typing and stats alone. You are never gonna have that clear of an idea about each movepools because unless you check it out, you can never be too sure what moves a mon does. For example, up until recently, I didn't even know Melmetal gets fucking ice beam. When checking the vr, your goal should be to try and make good guesses on what role each pokemon can do. After that, start by building some teams, even if they are complete horseshit. You have two goals in this is. First is to confirm your guesses from earlier about a mon's role. The second is finding which playstyle suits you best. I find the second one to be very important as unless you are very good at varying playstyle, you will make errors far more frequently if you use one that you are not comfortable. For me, this is anything that isn't a balance or bo team. I'm not comfortable with ho teams so I don't make nor use them unless the rng forces me to derank to >1300 elo

In short, figure out what each mon in the vr does and figure out what type of playstyle you prefer. A good place to start is by building a team with whoever is your favorite mon that is ranked highest in the vr

AM already answered the other two questions and I don't really have anything to add to them so I'll just put my advice on the first question

Has stall gotten better recently? High ladder spams it and the no.1 on the ladder also uses it. With developments over the past few months to counter anti-stall strats like Light Screen Pex for Future Sight or running Torn on stall for certain mus. As well as Tran running Toxic less which makes it easier to play around with Gastro.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ts-in-post-3539.3672210/page-176#post-9153840

This is my answer to a very similar question asked by another user. High ladder players understand trends to stay on top and, if stall is becoming more used on ladder, it's probably because regular teams are less prepared for it because the general meta trend is out-offensing your opponent's offense. This is an extremely broad angle for analysis, of course. Metagame developments are more intricate than how I laid them out.

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
Hi, this might be a stupid question, but is Doom Desire/Future Sight/Wish/U-turn jirachi viable?

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Doom Desire
- Future Sight
- U-turn
- Wish
(evs kind of random atm)

Should I use just Future Sight, just Doom desire, or use a different mon for future sight stacking with CB urshifu-R?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)