Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Checking Kartana for example isn't taking into account Kartana clicking Knock Off on your steel, then Magnezone trapping it to help Kartana clean later. Teambuilding is easier when you apply point 1 more.
to narrow in just a bit on this example, a simple solution one might think of would be to run another kartana check that isn't trappable by magnezone or doesn't lose to magnezone. short of that, however, in the event that isn't possible what conceptual teambuilder adjustment would one ,use, say, to make sure shed shell corviknight will actually be able to check Knock Off Kartana in the long run? is it running another lure for magnezone?

What do any of these Roserade EV spreads accomplish? I saw them while looking through the 1825 usage stats and I'm kind of curious.
  • 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 Spe with a Bold nature
  • 168 HP / 124 SpA / 216 Spe with a Timid nature
  • 252 HP / 48 Def / 52 SpA / 156 Spe with a Timid nature

Last edited:
What just happened to Mandibuzz? Literally an hour ago I saw nothing about it and now it’s S tier? I don’t have an opinion on the decision since I’m still pretty new to competitive Pokémon. I just wanted someone to explain to me why the decision was made.

What just happened to Mandibuzz? Literally an hour ago I saw nothing about it and now it’s S tier? I don’t have an opinion on the decision since I’m still pretty new to competitive Pokémon. I just wanted someone to explain to me why the decision was made.
Check the date

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The tier moves quickly, but not as quickly as a Weak Armor Mandibuzz after taking a Bullet Seed.

Weavile had Triple Axel in IoA. How come in Crown Tundra its meta defining, but in previous metagames like IoA or even Pre-DLC it is like C tier? Was it due to Urshifu-SS outclassing, was it simply not explored until Crown Tundra? Or was it both? Theoretically with the lesser power levels of the older metagames of SS, Weavile would’ve also be S rank no doubt.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Weavile had Triple Axel in IoA. How come in Crown Tundra its meta defining, but in previous metagames like IoA or even Pre-DLC it is like C tier? Was it due to Urshifu-SS outclassing, was it simply not explored until Crown Tundra? Or was it both? Theoretically with the lesser power levels of the older metagames of SS, Weavile would’ve also be S rank no doubt.
Urshifu-S, Magearna, Cinderace, etc. held it back while the prominence of Ghost types and Landorus-T allowed for it to be a great fit now. It also was underexplored for a long time.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
What are the ev spread, moves and variants of offensive Clefable?
Most of the time offensive Clefable is just Calm Mind Life Orb Clefable. I would run full HP and full Def for the spread (really not convinced about Spa Invested Clef as the physical bulk allows you to setup on a lot of mons). As for the moves, Soft Boiled, CM and Moonblast are must have and the last move can either be Tbolt/Thunder for Pex, Flamethrower for Steel types or even Focus Blast if you want to lure Heatran (but Thunder may be better overall and you can fish for para against Tran on switch in).

What are the ev spread, moves and variants of offensive Clefable?
To add on what ironwater Said. Bulk in General is the way to go and in addition to the moves he stated Thunder wave is also a viable option as it cripples many of Clefs checks and turns heatran into set up bait if its not carrying flash cannon as 6+ moonblast will eventually eradicate it anyway. Thunder wave also lets clef be useful through a game if you cant find set up Oppurnities but in general You want coverage as it lets you lure and kill off mons like Ferrothorn quicker.

Overwise if you dont want a calm mind variant. Modest life orb with 3 Attacks + Softboiled works as a great lure but does need some outside support to work or a team that can slow pivot it in regularly.

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
Buzzwole @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- whatever
- Roost

depending on the role u want it to have, there are a lot of things u can do with it. offensive sets like this one usually aim to outspeed the 253 modest tran tier and a bit extra, but i've seen up to max max jolly and max ada with speed for lando and less hp. it really just depends on how fast u need to be and what additional defensive support u have alongside

I'd like to ask about Trick Room.

Been doing some testing, so far I like Alola Marowak, as it's impressive wallbreaking abilities reach scary heights with SD and has great coverage to boot.

I think Galarian Slowbro is a good fit as well as it adds some more consistency to it, not purely relying on Quick Claw to outspeed threats

Stakataka I really like as it's a bulky setter that also can apply some offensive pressure

On the latter note, I find Porygon-Z to be a good wall with pivoting through teleporting and Trace has some nice utility, allowing me to switch into Flash Fire Heatran- Magama Storms and set up trick room if they lack taunt, and also reflecting intimidate back on to Lando-T's. It's also an excellent Shadow Ball switchin, which the teams need as I realize it's very easy to end up running multiple psychics/ghosts on these kinds of teams. It feels like a near-staple.

I've been liking Crawduant on these types of teams, as it's a stallbreaker that can also switch into Shadow Ball/ take some dark type moves in a pinch and murders offense under trick room

Cresselia I feel like is a staple mostly due to Lunar Dance and it's nice defensive abilities.

Other picks I've been experimenting with are Whimsicott, it has a nice utility set as it learns Trick Room, Memento, and Encore. Not sure if it's ideal though. I've struggled with Dark types with it ironically due to them being largely invulnerable to it's Prankster moves.

Lastly, I've been trying Rungerius as I wanted a ground type, and it can function a similar role to Stakataka. In this slot I've also tried things like Swampert to ease the heatran matchup.

Edit: Golurk is also really good

Any thoughts on making Trick Room decent? The biggest obstacles I've faced are Heatran, Dragapult, and Weavile, Bisharp and to a much lesser extent Urshifu but with maintaining the momentum and utilizing your pivots/walls they can be played around.

Last edited:
What primary set did Kyurem ran to get banned?
I'm just confused on what it ran since it had so many sets
While individually each Kyurem set was considerably strong, no one set was responsible for it getting banned. The variety of its sets and their consistency, in addition to the pressure that checking all of these sets put on teambuilding, eventually proved to be too much for the tier. You can find the sets it used (here), and if you need more information on the subject you're more than welcome to visit the older sections of the metagame discussion thread and the Kyurem suspect test thread.

Last edited:
While individually each Kyurem set was considerably strong, no one set was responsible for it getting banned. The variety of its sets and their consistency, in addition to the pressure that checking all of these sets put on teambuilding, eventually proved to be too much for the tier. You can find the sets it used (here), and if you need more information on the subject you're more than welcome to visit the older sections metagame discussion thread and the Kyurem suspect test thread.
Thanks this will be very helpful

What kind of teams distinguish whether someone should use a bulky volcarona set or an offensive volcarona set? Should one always be used over the other?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)