Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I missed several gens of pokemon.

I'm trying to make a team on Showdown with a Kleavor in it and it seems that all possible formats don't allow it. Some say it doesn't exist in gen 8 and I looked it up and apparently its from gen 8 .

I'm really confused, can anyone tell me what tier Kleavor is allowed in on Showdown?
It hasn't been released in SV yet, only appearing in Legends: Arceus (which is technically Gen 8). Until Home drops, it's only legal in NatDex formats, since it's currently not obtainable in any flagship main-series game (e.g. SV, SS, etc.).

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I missed several gens of pokemon.

I'm trying to make a team on Showdown with a Kleavor in it and it seems that all possible formats don't allow it. Some say it doesn't exist in gen 8 and I looked it up and apparently its from gen 8 .

I'm really confused, can anyone tell me what tier Kleavor is allowed in on Showdown?
Hey welcome!
To answer your question unfortunately Kleavor or other Hisui pokemons are not released and cant be used in any generation 9 or 8 metagames as they were first introduced in Pokemon Legends of Arceus which is something inbetween and its own thing without a metagame and actual battles. They will be accessable in Generation 9 OU with Pokemon home update but until then the only Hisuian Pokemon that can be used is Hisui Zoroark which was released with a raid event in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet. You could use Kleavor technically tho in randbats, if i remember correctly u can get any hisui version there if you are lucky. You could also use them in 1 format called Metronome Battles and they can also be used in different Showdown servers than the official one like https://play.radicalred.net/ but a bunch of other unofficial but cool pokemons can be found there like different forms of pokemons and such.

OK I see. As I say I haven't played pokemon in a while and only found out Kleavor even exists yesterday (!)

A good feature on Showdown would be a pre emptive list of formats any given mon is allowed in.
Showdown is amazing, but a bit confusing at times. I find I have ideas for teams only to end up cutting half of it out and spending 15 minutes clicking on each format and praying that they're allowed, eventually finding myself playing a totally different format and team than I had originally intended. while I'm not bothered about winning or losing, I do want to see how (x idea - let's say, a copy of an in game gym leader or rivals team - or say, a team of all the legends or starters from a certain gen - that kind of thing) would play out in practice, and more often than not its banned in some way and I end up doing something completely different, (that I'm usually not as enthusiastic about.)

I also find a discrepancy between when I validate on teambuilder then when I search for a battle. It just said my team was valid for gen 9 Nat dex any thing goes, then I went to battle and there was several things not allowed in it. Quite confused!! The list of formats/tiers on teambuulder also look different to the ones when you search for a battle.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The list of formats/tiers on teambuulder also look different to the ones when you search for a battle.
to answer this part it’s because there are only a pool of ladder formats you can ladder or “battle” in. Those other formats you’re seeing are ones you can challenge players to outside of the ladder, for example lower tier old gens. Not every format you can build in has a ladder where you can play a random opponent which is why the teambuilder and opp challenge windows show more options than the ladder formats you can choose from.

Are there other users of Stored Power besides Polteageist that can take advantage of Psychic Terrain? Preferably one that's bulky, if any.

Are there other users of Stored Power besides Polteageist that can take advantage of Psychic Terrain? Preferably one that's bulky, if any.
Hatterene is a good pick with good bulk, Magic Bounce, and getting a STAB boost on Stored Power. Armarouge is another good pick as it can get Speed boosts from Weak Armor or get an immunity from Flash Fire, it also is now the only pokemon to get Expanding Force which is 120 BP on Psychic Terrain but you if you’re running Stored Power it’s not going to be worth it to double up on Psychic STABs and Expanding Force is much more consistent anyways. Those are probably the best options that get Psychic STAB in OU atm.

Last edited:
My apologies for spamming this thread up, but is Alomamola a decent physical deterrent/wish passer on a non-stall team? How about as a partner with Hatterene? Mainly looking to help against Kingambit, no matter what form it takes

My apologies for spamming this thread up, but is Alomamola a decent physical deterrent/wish passer on a non-stall team? How about as a partner with Hatterene? Mainly looking to help against Kingambit, no matter what form it takes
Friend ask as much as you like to, thats what this forum is for. Alomomola is an excellent pokemon in and outside of Stall, if you like it use him as much as u want cuz he is great. It tends to be a key pokemon in more defensive teams and the reason is cuz of the enormous amount of healing it can provide with the 16 pp Wish. You see Recover PP was nerfed this generation to 8 pp so having a pokemon with such large base HP passing reliably healing to everyone means u can have aton of longevity compared to others. Plus all the other good things the fish can do, regenerator cores, chilling water to be a good physatker check or even whirlpool trap, Alomomola is great and can be used with Hatterene, Great Tusk, Dragapult, Ting lu which doesnt have reliable recovery on its own etc.

Oh thanks, this helps quite a bit! Trying not to over extend, and the phish seems perfect! Might even have it Tera Poison in the backseat, just in case I need to remove tspikes!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Oh thanks, this helps quite a bit! Trying not to over extend, and the phish seems perfect! Might even have it Tera Poison in the backseat, just in case I need to remove tspikes!
You don't have to worry about over extending at all. If anyone's gonna get upset someone keeps asking questions, they should just fuck off because this thread is dedicated to helping players understand the metagame. As the other guy said, that's what this thread is for

I'm looking for an offensive pair of pokemon to compliment the core of Curse Dondozo, Bulky Talonflame and The Clod. I have Meowscarada/Amoongus penciled as a 4th to Spike/Toxic Spike and Knock Off/Spore but open to suggestions.

Note - I refuse to use Gholdengo that thing is an abomination to my eyes.

I'm looking for an offensive pair of pokemon to compliment the core of Curse Dondozo, Bulky Talonflame and The Clod. I have Meowscarada/Amoongus penciled as a 4th to Spike/Toxic Spike and Knock Off/Spore but open to suggestions.

Note - I refuse to use Gholdengo that thing is an abomination to my eyes.
1679572432885.png

I think Kingambit appreciates this core alot and provides a ghost / draco resistance needed for it to be completed. Clodsire support it vs all spatkers so u can keep the gambit healthy and not as a switchin to spatk hits. Talonflame rly supports it against physdef mons like Tusk and Ting lu and Meowscarada can provide spikes support aswell as possibly Low Kick to lure opposing gambits. Zoroark Gambit tusk does similar job, tusk + talonflame for complete hazards protection so u can make the most with illusion Low Kick / grass knot lures. You have the option to trade tusk vs tusk too so u can free up your gambit with that core. Finally Pult provides much needed utility options like twave hex support and speed control.

Last edited:
Another question... it's a hard one to search for and best to outreach to a community . I'm trying to build a team based on swords and one based on cannons/guns.
I want 6 of each at least for a proper team. People with better knowledge than me, please help! I'm only mostly familiar with the first 4 gens, still learning about stuff from after then.

Scyther (obviously, where the idea came from)
Kabutops, Sirfetchd, Zacian

Any others? I'm thinking Pinsir, Kricketune, Scizor, Gligar/Gliscor, and Sneasel/Weavile and possibly Marowak.
Some of these are a bit of a stretch and it's becoming very bug- heavy.
Its just a fun gimmick team, so even weak monsters are fine, but it's obviously better if it's not all weak to one move or type.

Cannons/Guns we have Blastoise, Genesect, Octillery, Galarian Slowbro, Kingdra.
Again one type heavy, Water, and it's only 5 anyway. Are there any other cannon or sword(/weapon) pokemon I'm missing?

Another question... it's a hard one to search for and best to outreach to a community . I'm trying to build a team based on swords and one based on cannons/guns.
I want 6 of each at least for a proper team. People with better knowledge than me, please help! I'm only mostly familiar with the first 4 gens, still learning about stuff from after then.

Scyther (obviously, where the idea came from)
Kabutops, Sirfetchd, Zacian

Any others? I'm thinking Pinsir, Kricketune, Scizor, Gligar/Gliscor, and Sneasel/Weavile and possibly Marowak.
Some of these are a bit of a stretch and it's becoming very bug- heavy.
Its just a fun gimmick team, so even weak monsters are fine, but it's obviously better if it's not all weak to one move or type.

Cannons/Guns we have Blastoise, Genesect, Octillery, Galarian Slowbro, Kingdra.
Again one type heavy, Water, and it's only 5 anyway. Are there any other cannon or sword(/weapon) pokemon I'm missing?
For Swords, you have Ceruledge, as well as Gallade or Iron Valiant. Both of those definitely help with the average power level. Outside of gen 9, you have samurott, as well.

As far as guns? There's Clawitzer, who definitely does not help with your Water problem, as well as Forretress, who does. Armarouge doesn't appear to have a gun, but its signature move, as well as its animation, clearly show it firing a blaster shot. Going into NatDex, you have options like Magmortar, Toucannon, and (in spirit) Inteleon.

I'm sure there's more i'm forgetting, but hopefully some of these help you with what you're looking for!

e: Dragapult also matches the guns theme - its head is literally a stealth bomber, and dragon darts is it launching Dreepy to attack.

Last edited:

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
What EVs do you usually run on Orthworm? I know the classic max Def/max Hp and the max SpDef/max Hp sets, but is there any other popular variant?

What EVs do you usually run on Orthworm? I know the classic max Def/max Hp and the max SpDef/max Hp sets, but is there any other popular variant?
No not rly, the most popular / what people mostly run is max max either defense hp or spdef hp. You could do alittle bit of atk like 20 atk to have about 62% chance to ohko valiant in 1 heavy slam after rocks. you could also do Sassy or Relaxed nature with 0 IVs in speed so u are slower than min speed Corviknights which means they uturn into whatever before u shed tail so u get to decide what pokemon to go into so thats popular and beneficial.

Aight, so did you know you can play showdown on your phone? Really? I'm the only one finding this out? Just me? Literally just me?

My wacky dual terrain team is fun, but I'm very vulnerable to setup sweepers. There the one thing I'm having trouble with, and will get torn apart by a Skeledirge or Volcarona. Is there a mom in particular that shits on those types? Preferably a bulky one that appreciates protection from earthquakes and priority, and one that can keep Kingambit in check.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Aight, so did you know you can play showdown on your phone? Really? I'm the only one finding this out? Just me? Literally just me?

My wacky dual terrain team is fun, but I'm very vulnerable to setup sweepers. There the one thing I'm having trouble with, and will get torn apart by a Skeledirge or Volcarona. Is there a mom in particular that shits on those types? Preferably a bulky one that appreciates protection from earthquakes and priority, and one that can keep Kingambit in check.
So you're asking for something that matches up well with Volcarona and Skeledirge
Something that has bulk
Immune or Resistant to EQ
and can take on most priority moves

Very short list to be quite honest especially since Volc and Skele are problematic when it comes to what they tera to.

I think Ceruledge does a decent job if you Tera Bug / Fairy (Flash Fire), It will prevent Skele from setting up on Torch Songs / Wisping, you will have problems taking Hex / Shadow Ball but your best measure is Tera to Bug / Fairy and force it to Tera as well so you can start abusing Bitter Blade, some idea with Volc, best thing is to take on Wisps / Fiery Dances and abuse Bitter Blades / Bulk Up

:Ceruledge:
Ceruledge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Bitter Blade
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt

I can't think of anything else that does all that well, it's pretty tough.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Lol I spent half of my time in High School playing mons with my friend
Unaware Clodsire literally hard counters Skeledirge and Volc, but even Water Absorb Clod with Toxic is good enough. Toxapex is another great option that can come in with its massive bulk and just click Haze and Toxic. Garg is a fantastic Special wall that sits forever on those two, can click Salt Cure and can Tera Water and use Body Press to deal with Kingambit. Ceruledge is also very good, and it's more suited for Hyper Offense. Oh, Dondozo as well, it's very good against Sweepers if you invest some EVs into its SpDef, and you can run Body Press and Liquidation to hit all three of them super effectively.

Last edited:
Thanks, the both of you! Unaware Clos is looking sexy, and I might do for some cheeky Counter shenanigans...

So you're asking for something that matches up well with Volcarona and Skeledirge
Something that has bulk
Immune or Resistant to EQ
and can take on most priority moves
Ah, I don't think I explained myself well. I plan on having either grassy or psychic terrain up as part of my team play, so they'll benefit from a resistance to EQ in particular most of the match, but later on, after most of the enemy team have been worn down, psychic terrain will be up putting a leash on priority. I'm not too much worried on the priority immunity, but grassy terrain would effect the defensive quarterstone most (they can afford to be a little eq weak, but I shouldn't expect to utilize eq myself).

Reactions: YNM
What would be a decent alternative to usage-based tiering when evaluating the viability of a Pokemon when usage and player activity isn't high? this is mostly specific to smaller showdown servers with fakemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)