Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Art by Datsplashtho
Welcome to the SQSA thread! As the title implies this thread should be used to post your simple questions and in turn receive relatively simple answers to them. If you wish to ask questions in regards to Smogon as a whole then please refer to this thread and any in-game questions should be taken to Orange Islands. Feel free to ask any question here no matter how basic they are, just as long as it is related to competitive Pokemon and abides by the below rule. When responding to someone's question please quote their post in order to avoid any confusion for both the questioner and those reading this thread in hopes of having the same question answered.

As a general rule of thumb:

• Don't use this thread to ask questions about whether an ability or Pokemon should be banned. Likewise, refrain from asking all questions about what if 'X' Pokemon were to drop from OU. This is not what the purpose of this thread is for, please refer to the metagame thread for these kinds of discussions.

Last edited:
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place- I was an idiot and accidentally bred a shiny Impidimp with its HA Pickpocket. I totally glossed over the ability-didnt even realize it-I was just so focused on getting the actual shiny. Is there any viable set with Pickpocket or am I screwed and should release it and work towards another viable one? it took me about two weeks worth of hatching a bit every day to get this, so I'm really not looking forward to repeating the process! I know it's not really viable in OU, but is there any set at all that can make this work?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place- I was an idiot and accidentally bred a shiny Impidimp with its HA Pickpocket. I totally glossed over the ability-didnt even realize it-I was just so focused on getting the actual shiny. Is there any viable set with Pickpocket or am I screwed and should release it and work towards another viable one? it took me about two weeks worth of hatching a bit every day to get this, so I'm really not looking forward to repeating the process! I know it's not really viable in OU, but is there any set at all that can make this work?
Hey, Grimmsnarl is OU, so we can't really use it down here. Also, we're not really the place to help with in-game questions. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure prankster is heavily integral to its sets. Grats on the shiny, though.

Hey, Grimmsnarl is OU, so we can't really use it down here. Also, we're not really the place to help with in-game questions. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure prankster is heavily integral to its sets. Grats on the shiny, though.
Thanks! Although its pretty useless it looks like. Not sure if its even worth keeping at this point.

D IN YOUR A

Banned deucer.
Hello.

What Pokemon do you think will form the top 3 most used Pokemon in the first usage stats?

Kind regards.
D IN YOUR A.

Hello.

What Pokemon do you think will form the top 3 most used Pokemon in the first usage stats?

Kind regards.
D IN YOUR A.
If I were to take a guess then I would assume: Gengar, Kommo-o, and Polteageist based on the impact these Pokemon have had and how much people have expressed their opinions about them. Gengar was gifted with Nasty Plot this gen while Kommo-o has a new signature omniboost in Clangerous Soul making both great wallbreakers and sweepers. Polteageist is a recent addition this gen but having access to Weak Armor + Shell Smash, paired with Stored Power and Dynamax has given it a very strong presence in the UU tier. I hope this answers your question, though don't take this as guaranteed.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hello.

Kind regards.
D IN YOUR A.
I would seconnd the above, but I suspect obstagoon would possibly be 3rd instead of polteageist, due to its breaking power, splashability and decent versatility between sets such as taunt + 3 attacks, scarf, and bulk up + 3 attacks, while polteageist tends to only fit on very offensive teams.

Kommo-o also has massive set versatility with clangerous soul sets, taunt + 3 attacks, taunt + rocks, rocks + 3 attacks, defensive and specs, while being able to fit on p much any team from HO to Fat Balance/Semi Stall, and i suspect it probably would get #1 usage.

D IN YOUR A

Banned deucer.
Dear Twilight and Estarossa.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. It was quite interesting. I would like to ask another question now. Do we know how many Pokemon will be in the cut off for the usage stats before RarelyUsed begins?

I thank anyone who could assist me in advance. I look forward to your responses.

Yours faithfully,
D IN YOUR A.

Dear Twilight and Estarossa.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. It was quite interesting. I would like to ask another question now. Do we know how many Pokemon will be in the cut off for the usage stats before RarelyUsed begins?

I thank anyone who could assist me in advance. I look forward to your responses.

Yours faithfully,
D IN YOUR A.
No, it is too early to determine this and all questions regarding Pokemon that could drop to a lower tier or from OU shouldn't be asked here as it will lead to too much speculation. Please refer to this post to see when usage stats will be released for UU Beta.

Has anyone thought of using Accelgor with a Throat Spray/Bug Buzz set?
I heard Throat Spray is a consumable item so would an Unburden ability work with it as well?

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Accelgor with Bug Buzz + Throat Spray is something doable for sure.
Throat Spray is used after Bug Buzz which means Accelgor goes to +1 SpA and +2 Speed after that.

I've been using a bulky set of Accelgor with Throat Spray !
Accelgor @ Throat Spray
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes / Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain

Enough speed to outspeed 100 BS Pokemon like max speed Mew and everything into the bulk and special attack otherwise. Sludge Bomb is nice to punish Fairy-types but it also raises Accelgor's special attack if it uses it with Dynamax.

Last edited:
What would yall think some of the most prominent fighting types in the tier could be? By the looks of things, there is quite a variety when it comes to them, from potent spinners like the Tyrogue family, to hard hitters and trick room fits like Pangoro and Sirfetchd, potential stallbreakers like Grapploct, versatile mons like Machamp etc. Ive been having some decent success with Bewear.

While Moody is banned (again) i still wanted to know what was the EV spread of the infamous Glalie set. The one below is what showdown recommend to me but given that showdown recommended sets isn't always optimal what is the optimal EV spread?

Glalie @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Protect
- Disable

Also i wanted to ask the same about Octilerry given that while not as deadly as Glalie is still broken anyway so i might as well. Again the one below is the recommended showdown set and while i don't know what is the proper Moody Octilerry set i just make one based on the one Glalie has. Run 4 SpA for Ice Beam or 4 SpD for T-Wave.

Octillery @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA or 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Substitute
- Ice Beam/Thunder Wave

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While Moody is banned (again) i still wanted to know what was the EV spread of the infamous Glalie set. The one below is what showdown recommend to me but given that showdown recommended sets isn't always optimal what is the optimal EV spread?

Glalie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Protect
- Disable

Also i wanted to ask the same about Octilerry given that while not as deadly as Glalie is still broken anyway so i might as well. Again the one below is the recommended showdown set and while i don't know what is the proper Moody Octilerry set i just make one based on the one Glalie has. Run 4 SpA for Ice Beam or 4 SpD for T-Wave.
Glalie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Freeze-Dry
- Disable
- Protect

that's the set I used.

What would yall think some of the most prominent fighting types in the tier could be? By the looks of things, there is quite a variety when it comes to them, from potent spinners like the Tyrogue family, to hard hitters and trick room fits like Pangoro and Sirfetchd, potential stallbreakers like Grapploct, versatile mons like Machamp etc. Ive been having some decent success with Bewear.
To keep this reply short the most used Fighting-type right now is Kommo-o, which has a lot of versatility in the meta with offensive rocks, defensive rocks, its omniboost set etc. Other Fighting-types like Sirfetch'd and Bewear have been used a decent amount too. But given your question is related more towards speculation please look through this thread as well as the metagame thread to help answer your question and feel free to take your discussion there too.

How are people dealing with (dynamax) Haxorus, particulary on defensive teams? Mold Breaker Earthquake beats Weezing's Levitate so that doesn't work...

How are people dealing with (dynamax) Haxorus, particulary on defensive teams? Mold Breaker Earthquake beats Weezing's Levitate so that doesn't work...
If you are using a bulky Fairy-type (
) then it is important to keep it healthy enough to avoid dropping to a +1 Poison Jab, it is also worth noting that Max Ooze is significantly weaker than Poison Jab if it chooses to Dynamax making Haxorus easier to revenge kill. Galarian Weezing is the exception here but it can survive one Earthquake and even a Max Quake from +1 Haxorus to get off a Wisp or Strange Steam. Dynamaxing your own Fairy-types in response is also a great way to stop it sweeping. Status plays a big role in wearing down Haxorus also, so prioritizing keeping Toxic Spikes up will be important. Finally,
this boi eats any hit and revenge kills with Avalanche so I recommend trying it out.

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Max Wyrmwind vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope this helps ^^

If you are using a bulky Fairy-type (
) then it is important to keep it healthy enough to avoid dropping to a +1 Poison Jab, it is also worth noting that Max Ooze is significantly weaker than Poison Jab if it chooses to Dynamax making Haxorus easier to revenge kill. Galarian Weezing is the exception here but it can survive one Earthquake and even a Max Quake from +1 Haxorus to get off a Wisp or Strange Steam. Dynamaxing your own Fairy-types in response is also a great way to stop it sweeping. Status plays a big role in wearing down Haxorus also, so prioritizing keeping Toxic Spikes up will be important. Finally,
this boi eats any hit and revenge kills with Avalanche so I recommend trying it out.

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Max Wyrmwind vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope this helps ^^
Thank you, that's a great response. Really appreciate it.

So looking at the early usage stats for UU I wonder what niches these guys in particular have, if any, or if they're just noob traps:

| 21 | Coalossal | 7.182% |
| 34 | Claydol | 5.939% |
| 39 | Eldegoss | 5.243% |
| 41 | Morpeko | 5.163% |

Claydol's probably a case of Dexit cutting a lot of its competition and checks but I'm curious about the others.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
So looking at the early usage stats for UU I wonder what niches these guys in particular have, if any, or if they're just noob traps:

| 21 | Coalossal | 7.182% |
| 34 | Claydol | 5.939% |
| 39 | Eldegoss | 5.243% |
| 41 | Morpeko | 5.163% |

Claydol's probably a case of Dexit cutting a lot of its competition and checks but I'm curious about the others.
Can't specifically talk on the other 3 particularly, but I've ended up using Claydol a little bit. While it is a case of Dexit cutting a lot of entry hazard removal options, Claydol is one of the few spinners that can effectively pressure Doublade properly due to Earth Power, while the newly buffed Teleport allows it to keep up some momentum, which is really useful for it. (It can also pressure weezing in order to keep tspikes away too unlike eldegoss/tsareena).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Claydol has a niche thanks to its ability to threaten Doublade but it's still really passive.

I've seen a ton of Coalossal but other than the fact that it's a decent zard check I'm not a big fan. People do like things with hazards + spin, though.

Eldegoss suffers from a terrible movepool and an inability to do more than mildly annoy most spinblockers.

Morpeko, though... I expected it to be terrible, like most of the Pikaclones, but it's actually surprisingly good! Good speed tier (and gets even faster thanks to Wheel) and its disappointing offensive stats are made up for by a high base power STAB and every coverage move you could ever possibly want. It struggles a bit against bulkier teams but overall I've found it to be a decent offensive threat.

Looking at the early usage stats for UU Alpha, I wonder why these two (Inteleon and Duraludon) are being used THIS much and if they have a legitimate niche of some sort, or if they're just overhyped noobtraps.

| 13 | Inteleon | 8.872% |
| 19 | Duraludon | 7.420% |

Inteleon I can maybe see why beacuse of its good offenses and nice speed stat, but I'm curious about Duraludon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)