Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is Hyper Offense viable in the meta? With the addition of Bisharp, playing around scarf Jirachi got easier and UU already had plenty of strong offensive threats with Terrakion, Polteageist, Mamoswine, Lycanroc, Indeedee, etc.

Is Hyper Offense viable in the meta? With the addition of Bisharp, playing around scarf Jirachi got easier and UU already had plenty of strong offensive threats with Terrakion, Polteageist, Mamoswine, Lycanroc, Indeedee, etc.
Yes Hyper Offense is more than viable rn. The current meta is definitely favouring faster/more aggressive playstyles like Webs, Voltturn, Screens, etc. All the Pokemon you've listed above work fine on said playstyles. There are obviously a lot more threats like Keldeo or Mimikyu that fit on these playstyles too.

Hey first post in a while.

What’s up guys?

*qaurantine perhaps entertaining nonsense*

Anyone else enjoy setting themselves a nice set up over their bath tub?
You get in your tub. Candles on. Your Pokémon blue poster on the bathroom wall. Then you open that laptop and to showdown in while your feet are suspended in water. You have full range of freedom. You open up your laptop and the screen stares at you pixels of Pokémon yearning you to jump on showdown, you staring back at that screen with the exact same intensity. You do your ritual. Get yourself zoned. You’re ready, you hop on Showdown.
Looking back at your screen with *choice of music
Loom blaring through your ears*.
You put your headphones on. And then you click play into a luxury night of Pokémon showdown.

on a more serious note can somebody plz help me fix my team? I’m really trying to start get intoUU. I’ve been an OU player On and off forever. My team went 6-3 but there were a couple matchups I really hated including sun. Could anyone help use my team and fix it! Much love for anyone who works with my teams and I’ll get you back

Team: https://pokepast.es/d18191d98dc85aec

replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1170865879-d57kob47xili70i1jage7ut92q33igapw
(This one is better)

im Harizzzz

Last edited:
Hey first post in a while.

What’s up guys?

Anyone else enjoy setting themselves a nice set up over their bath tub?
You get in your tub. Candles on. Your Pokémon blue poster on the bathroom wall. Then you open that laptop and to showdown in while your feet are suspended in water. You have full range of freedom. You open up your laptop and the screen stares at you pixels of Pokémon yearning you to jump on showdown, you staring back at that screen with the exact same intensity. You do your ritual. Get yourself zoned. You’re ready, you hop on Showdown.
Looking back at your screen with *choice of music
Loom blaring through your ears*.
You put your headphones on. And then you click play into a luxury night of Pokémon showdown.

on a more serious note can somebody plz help me fix my team? I’m really trying to start get intoUU. I’ve been an OU player On and off forever. My team went 6-3 but there were a couple matchups I really hated including sun. Could anyone help use my team and fix it! Much love for anyone who works with my teams and I’ll get you back

Team: https://pokepast.es/d18191d98dc85aec

replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1170865879-d57kob47xili70i1jage7ut92q33igapw
(This one is better)

im Harizzzz
The RMT forums are a much more ideal place for something like this or hopping over into the UnderUsed Discord to get feedback in our teambuilding channel. Overall, this team honestly looks pretty good. You're bound to have matchups that you'll struggle with like a potential Sun team or Polteageist being a big one. You can't really fix that without resorting to Rindo Krook or using something like Mimi here, but bad matchups are inevitable to happen. Celebi doesn't seem all that necessary here and could be replaced for Kyurem if you wanted. It maintains the check to Rotom formes but gives you something that is going to pressure Jirachi more proactively. If you want more detailed feedback do check out the other options I linked above.

With Zoroark currently in RUBL, what use does it have in UU? Recently, I've been using a Nasty Plot LO set that hits really hard, and allies like Lucario(who shares a few moves in their movepools)make good allies as it make the opponent think they're facing a normal mon.

Why is Secret Sword preferred over Aura Sphere / Focus Blast on Keldeo? I'm thinking it's for CM Rachi but I'm not sure.
Secret Sword breaks through specially defensive foes easier. I'd say the main ones being that you can OHKO SpD Tyranitar and break past foes like Umbreon and Araquanid easier. Aura Sphere does have its upsides in OHKOing Cobalion without needing a boosting item and getting past Gastrodon/Seismitoad easier. Outside of these matchups, it's just weaker than Secret Sword is all. I personally don't see much reason to use Focus Blast when bulkier Water-types like Milotic and Vaporeon have fallen off so much. The extra dmg output at the cost of accuracy isn't favorable in many scenarios. I'd say you could run Aura Sphere on sets like Choice Scarf if you wanted to break through foes like phys def Washtom and Gastrodon easier, but on sets like Choice Specs, you can overwhelm these checks regardless. I hope this answers your question.

With Zoroark currently in RUBL, what use does it have in UU? Recently, I've been using a Nasty Plot LO set that hits really hard, and allies like Lucario(who shares a few moves in their movepools)make good allies as it make the opponent think they're facing a normal mon.
Zoroark is pretty niche and hard to pull off effectively. Your best bet is probably NP sets with LO or Boots, the latter helping you disguise yourself better because of hazards. Zoroark's main issue is its Speed tier holding it back against the musketeers like Cobalion and Keldeo. It also has some minor 4MSS with wanting Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. You could probably make this Pokemon work with a bit of effort given it doesn't face competition as a special Dark-type aside from Shiftry, which is exclusive to sun. It's a Pokemon that probably needs more exploration in UU.

Zoroark @ Life Orb / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast / Sludge Bomb

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Idk if this is the right place to ask but is it possible for any user to submit analysis for certain pokemon and get it approved? I have an analysis in mind of Golurk (aka Godlurk) but idk if I should post it.

Idk if this is the right place to ask but is it possible for any user to submit analysis for certain pokemon and get it approved? I have an analysis in mind of Golurk (aka Godlurk) but idk if I should post it.
Golurk is currently in the process of being written but if you have comments you would like to share about it or any analyses in the future you can do so in this thread https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-uu-c-c-discussion-thread.3660567/.

E: If you wish to write an analysis you can reserve one from here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-uu-reservation-index-v2.3668358/ as long as the Pokemon is available on the reservation list

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Now that Alolan Marowak has dropped, is Golurk now outclassed? I would think that it still has advantages such as a stealth rock resistance and higher speed but I'm not too sure.

Now that Alolan Marowak has dropped, is Golurk now outclassed? I would think that it still has advantages such as a stealth rock resistance and higher speed but I'm not too sure.
They do different things. Alolawak is a breaker/TR cleaner. Golurk is a rocker that also functions as a wallbreaker that checks Terrakion, Lycanroc-Dusk, as well as Fighting types in general.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
as Sickist said they do different things, although in recent times rocks golurk is pretty rare. Golurk is mainly used as an assault vest pokemon lately, it’s bulk let’s it pressure some stuff like noivern, rak, and heliolisk while it’s fast enough to pressure defensive walls.

wak is much more powerful but has a rocks weakness and less bulk, mandating a lot more team support for it. So far it’s mainly been run with trick room + teleport slowbro/king to maximise its opportunities, this can be standalone on an otherwise normal team or more completely semi or full tr teams which have gained quite a lot of tools lately to make them a valid form of cheese offense.

Why are the Toxtricity forms tiered together? They have different moves and abilities.
Because they have the same stats and are not different enough to legitimate to be tiered differently. I mean they just have 1 move which defers in their movepool and the ability is useless in solo (Plus / Minus).

I was looking at what UUBLs we have left after Chansey was unbanned and wondered if there was anything in the pipeline for Gyarados to be re-released? Or was there already a recent council decision that I missed?

I was looking at what UUBLs we have left after Chansey was unbanned and wondered if there was anything in the pipeline for Gyarados to be re-released? Or was there already a recent council decision that I missed?
It was voted on here two months ago after we got massive changes to the tier. The likelihood is none of the Pokemon that have been voted on will be looked at again until the second DLC hits. I'm sure the council might look at some of these UUBL Pokemon again if the Pokemon we get makes them more manageable.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I want to create an offensive team centered around hazard stacking, but I'm not sure how to build it. Any tips?

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
I want to create an offensive team centered around hazard stacking, but I'm not sure how to build it. Any tips?
Some stuff you'll want to include,

:froslass: :klefki: :roserade: - Spike setters, Roserade is particularly nice for its great matchup versus removers in general and ability to cripple Noivern with Sleep Powder, which offensive teams can have some difficulty with. Klefki is a nice option too for its ability to check Zarude and Noivern and just generally pass around status.

:rhyperior: :cobalion: :krookodile: - Rocks setters, ones like these in particular can offer some useful defensive utility for your team, Rhyperior can provide a nice Noivern check, Coba can provide Krook check with Balloon / Lycan check with Chople and useful pivoting for offensive teammates with Volt Switch, Krookodile can check some annoying mons for offense like Bisharp/Doublade, Taunt defoggers like Washtom.

:cobalion: (SD) :mamoswine: :terrakion: :obstagoon: :starmie: :heliolisk: - Wallbreakers that can take advantage of your hazards. Won't go through them all individually but these are some good examples. Some nice stuff some of these can do include Mamoswine knocking off boots from slowtwins, and starmie providing removal that you'd otherwise struggle to fit onto an offense team.

:doublade: :talonflame: :mimikyu: :sharpedo: - Late game cleaners that can abuse spikes. Doublade and Talonflame can provide some nice defensive utility if you choose to go that route, Doublade especially with the Coba/Lycan check, Talonflame gives you a nice Fairy resist and can also act as more of a wallbreaker if you prefer and can check the Steel types Roserade struggles with, Mimikyu provides a powerful offensive check to lots of threats like Keldeo / Lycanroc / Noivern through Disguise, shark is just generally a really good late game cleaner atm.

:noivern: - Noivern in general is such a powerful option to give you natural speed control and pivoting for your breakers, and you'd be hard pressed not to include it on a hazard stack atm imo unless you specifically are using Talonflame. S Rank mon that gives you so much in any matchup.

:milotic: :bisharp: - Not at all necessary, but if you choose to include them Milotic/Bisharp are unique options that provide powerful anti Defog tools, Comp Milotic in particular is a really cool option atm imo because it gives you a really really solid answer to Noivern that you kinda struggle to fit more then moderate checks like Rhyp / CM Sylv to on these teams otherwise, and is a terrifying breaker with Comp boosts. Bisharp is just a nice wallbreaker/cleaner in general if you can remove stuff like Coba/Keld, and super dangerous to fat teams rn.

Example team for you from my builder (just a 5 minute thing i threw together the other day so you can do a lot better than this) -

:roserade: :sharpedo: :rhyperior: :sylveon: :doublade: :talonflame: - https://pokepast.es/bf27b97ab1e4c7d1

Looking for ideas on a Sharpedo build. If running "speed boost" ability is protect or substitute better for setting up? I'm new to Smogon and Competitive. Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!

Looking for ideas on a Sharpedo build. If running "speed boost" ability is protect or substitute better for setting up? I'm new to Smogon and Competitive. Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!
Hi! Welcome to Smogon, hope you enjoy UU! I don't have much experience with Sharpedo, but Protect is the better option on Sharpedo overall, as it doesn't require an amount of HP to setup, and cannot be bypassed by sound moves. Protect also enables you to nab free Speed Boosts vs revenge killers, such as Mienshao. It should be noted that Speed Boost is Sharpedo's only viable ability in the UU tier. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us in the UU community through this thread, in the UnderUsed room on Pokemon Showdown! or on the UU Discord Server. Have a good day/night!

Thank you for the quick response! What are you thoughts on the below moveset (Physical Attacker).

Protect
Crunch
Ice Fang
Earthquake or Psychic Fang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)