Resource Simple Questions & Simple Answers [ZU edition]

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OP mostly taken from LC’s version by Coconut

If you have a question that can be asked and/or answered in one post, please ask it here.

When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  1. Make sure that your post is relevant to ZeroUsed.
  2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  3. Do NOT ask for anything that could be considered illegal. This includes anything related to hacking, Action Replay, ROMs, and 3ds hacking.
  4. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands. This subforum is for competitive discussion only. Asking about specific breeding moves and why a certain illegality exists is okay though.

I could have sworn I saw a discussion on PR about allowing “bad” things that were in low tiers last gen to start in low tiers upon their release instead of waiting 5(6?) months for them to filter down, did that go anywhere? I don’t know how you guys don’t go totally insane waiting 6 months on top of every release date to see new mons filter down.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I could have sworn I saw a discussion on PR about allowing “bad” things that were in low tiers last gen to start in low tiers upon their release instead of waiting 5(6?) months for them to filter down, did that go anywhere? I don’t know how you guys don’t go totally insane waiting 6 months on top of every release date to see new mons filter down.
Not sure what you mean here. The way things work up until all the DLCs are released are monthly tier shifts rather than having to wait 3 months for each tier shift.

5gen

jumper
What's been stopping ZU from being a main tier?
Hey. In a nutshell it's mainly popularity and the size of our player base. By popularity I'm referring to general activity such as the activity levels of our forums/ladder/room/Discord and so on. ZU also does not have a large player base, so we do not see high levels of demand. That being said, in gen 7 we grew tremendously, and heading into gen 8 we can capitalize off that.

What are some checks to BD Eiscue that people have been trying out?
Now I’m not that experienced in the tier, but when I asked the same question in the ZU room once these were the checks I was given.

:ss/pyukumuku:
Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soak
- Toxic
- Recover
- Block

:ss/cufant:
Cufant @ Eviolite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Whirlwind

:ss/klang:
Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Gear Grind
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Last edited:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but did ZU just lose all of these mons?

Tier Shifts are out!

Dusknoir moved from ZU to PU
Gourgeist moved from ZU to PU
Pyukumuku moved from ZU to PU
Silvally-Bug moved from ZU to PU
Silvally-Electric moved from ZUBL to PU
Dusclops moved from ZU to PU
Mareanie moved from ZU to PU

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Why is Dusknoir Untiered?
Dusknoir did not reach the minimum usage in the past month to stay in PU, so it dropped to ZU.

Specifically to the metagame, you'll find that ZU–and by extension PU–has better options in bulky Ghost-types like Cofagrigus, Jellicent, Trevenant, and more. Dusknoir simply has too much competition and not enough unique traits nor valuable stats to make it stick out.

If you want to ask specifically why it's not used in PU, feel free to check out their forum :)

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
How good is Kingler in ZU, and what teammates are best suited for his role as a wallbreaker/cleaner?
It's been somewhat average as it competes with the faster Basculin as an offensive Water-type. Kingler is best suited as wallbreaker / cleaner like you mentioned as it differentiates itself from Basculin with setup moves like Swords Dance and Agillity and coverage like Superpower, Knock Off, High Horsepower, and Rock Slide. There's some situations where Kingler can clean after only a single Agility and the correct coverage, but given that it has to choose between what it can hit, it may struggle with Ferroseed, Jellicent, Qwilfish, and Cramorant. It also will always have trouble with really bulky walls like Cofagrigrus, Poliwrath, and Pykumuku. There's also the issue regarding its mediocre Speed and bad special bulk, which allows Rotom, Rotom-C, and Vanilluxe to pressure it heavily before setting up

Try to pair it with special attackers and stallbreakers like Drampa, Magmotar, and Skunstank to help with physical walls. You can also try using support like Dual Screens Uxie to make up for its poor special bulk, as well as pivots like Alolan Persian and specially offensive Silvally-Dragon that can get Kingler in safely against walls like Clefairy and Carbink that it's able to break. Defensive Water-types like Poliwrath, Pykumuku, Cramorant, and Qwilfish all can't deal with Electric-types like Rotom, which pretty much targets all of Kingler's defensive checks bar Ferroseed, so make sure to have Superpower on Kingler when you use it with Rotom. Lastly, entry hazards can make or break Kingler's sweeping attempts, so have teammates like Rhydon, Qwilfish, and Miltank that can provide hazards and make sure it secures more OHKOs when sweeping; for example, EDIT: Garbodor needs the chip damage from both Stealth Rock and Spikes for High Horsepower to have a chance to OHKO it from full. Silvally-Ghost and Ferroseed only need SR chip damage for Kingler to likely OHKO.

A big takeaway is to build with teammates that compliment whatever coverage you decide to run on Kingler. I talked about some examples for some of these attacks and they should work well with Kingler in those situations. Feel free to explore other options in our VR that can fulfill similar roles

Last edited:
Simple question: Why isn't ZU an official Smogon tier?

Although ZU is not considered an official tier, it is the most strict tier because it does not accept any Pokemon from the above tiers. ZU was born in the 7gen and players can select Pokemon considered Untiered (except the ZU-banned Pokemon). With each new generation, we see new Pokemon being placed in one of the above tiers or directly thrown in the Untiered list (e.g., Boltund, Cramorant). Another possibility is that these new Pokemon outclass old Pokemon residing in the lowest tiers, causing them to be Untiered due to a domino effect (e.g., Skuntank, Garbodor). Look, in the 1gen we had only OU and UU (i.e., 2 tiers apart of Uber and LC); the 2gen introduced the NU tier (i.e., 3 tiers); the RU was introduced in the 5gen (i.e., 4 tiers); and PU was formalized in the 6gen (i.e., 5 tiers). That being said, is not the time to discuss the creation (actually formalization) of a brand new tier? If you followed me until now, let's check the number of Untiered Pokemon since the 5gen (I'm considering both species and forms): BW 125, XY 110, SM 201, SS 192. As you can see, the number of Untiered Pokemon has a growing tendency unless new tiers are formalized or Game Freak cuts the Dex. The ZU tier has about 97 usable Pokemon, so let's suppose that ZU is formalized. In this scenario, the Untiered list would have 192-97 = 95 Pokemon, and the "new-ZU" would be accountable to discuss these remnant Pokemon.

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
this is a bit of a nitpick, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

with that said, is it okay if you guys remove the old zu sets of gallade and turtonator on the smogon strategy dex? they’ve both been banned for a while. furthermore, you can add them to the ban list on zu’s page if you wanna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)