Singles Break that Core (Week 17: Hippowdon + Lucario + Dragonite) ~ VOTING (post #395)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I love this core, still one of my favorites because Hydreigon is cool. And so is Aegislash so it's a win-win! Going to be pretty standard and put Blaziken up, but with a small twist.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 52 Atk / 244 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- Protect

No matter how you use Blaziken, it's a cool answer to this core. Hates dealing with King's Shield when it's Mega but Life Orb Blaziken avoids that issue completely since Overheat avoids contact and still OHKOs in Shield Forme. The only thing Life Orb has to watch out for is Scarf Hydreigon though since unlike Mega Blaziken it can't outspeed Scarf Hydreigon at +1 even if it runs 252 Speed. That being said this issue can be subverted if Blaziken comes in against Aegislash first, so it's still capable of beating out the core if it runs Scarf Hydreigon and will always beat other variants 1v1 (unless you run into one of the 5% of Rocky Helmet Hydreigon). Mega is cool and usually more popular because of that cool Speed but Life Orb deserves some attention here. Also because HP Ice Blaziken is a god.

244 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 179-213 (107.1 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 237-281 (141 - 167.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And for those curious about the rare Rocky Helmet variant:

52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hydreigon: 166-198 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast

Nominating Volcarona to tackle this core!
It’s not exactly good at switching into either mons, but does well when it comes in freely.
Modest Scarf Hydreigon fails to OHKO with Draco Meteor, other sets will not outspeed it.
Aegislash fails to OHKO with anything, while Volcarona threatens to OHKO with Fire Blast (assuming no Fire Miss).

Offensive Calcs
252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 221-265 (132.3 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 174-211 (104.1 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs
252+ SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 114-135 (70.8 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 134-160 (83.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 105-125 (65.2 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

With an amazing offensive and defensive typing, Belly Drum Azumarill shuts this core down completely. It can come in on any of Hydreigon's moves, on a predicted King's Shield, or on a free switch. Gets Belly Drum off, everything dies. Attack lowered by King's Shield? No problem - still OHKO's Aegislash at +4.

R.I.P. Calcs
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 1836-2160 (1099.4 - 1293.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 194-230 (116.1 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 99-117 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 144-170 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
OH MAN. HydraSlash is my go-to core on the Battle Spot even today.

but one of the biggest threats to me when I was running it was:

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Timid Nature
252 S.Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Solar Beam
Focus Blast

It seems that Charizard X is so high on the rise that people are forgetting that Y is stupid strong in his own right.

Flamethrower alone can cleanly OHKO Aegislash with the Sun Boost. No need to play risk with Fire Blast or Overheat, and no need to play games with Kings Shield.

As for Hydreigon, only a Draco Meteor from a Life Orb or Specs set can have a chance to OHKO Zard-Y, so you can survive any hit from the Scarf set and bop him in return, as for other sets, you get to go first and destroy him before he even lets off a hit.

But be warned, you can't OHKO Hydreigon with Dragon Pulse alone, you can pick off a weakened one with it. if you wanna smash through Hydreigon in one go, you have to go with Focus Miss Blast.

Offensive Calcs:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Sun: 192-228 (114.9 - 136.5%) -- GOOD NIGHT SPOOKYSWORD
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 174-206 (103.5 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs:
252+ SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 106-126 (68.8 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 75-88 (48.7 - 57.1%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

There's no core I can't break

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb

Garchomp sounds the perfect pokemon to breakthis core : both his 2 STABS hit super effectively hydreigon and aegislash, respectively.
Chomp does not fear King's shield : If he uses EQ, his attack does not drop, and you can easily predict it and set your SD up !
Why Rock Tomb ? Well, there's only one reason : Hydreigon and aegislash aren't the only pokemon in the game, we need to hit and drop the speed of the whole metagame !
Outrage can be used, but is very risky because of king's shield...
You can also use a rocky helmet, a lum berry, or a life orb on chomp... But the focus sash's the best choice, it allows garchomp to resist Hydreigon's draco meteor and then get rid of him...
Be careful though, without a life orb you won't OHKO hydreigon, so you'll need prior damage. Moreover, don't hit aegislash if you're not boosted, a Weakness policy-boosted Shadow ball will be lethal. But if you manage to set up, you just destroy the core.

Do we really need calcs ?

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 288-338 (88.6 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 230-272 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 183-216 (51.2 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Oh this one's simple.

Mandibuzz @ Sitrus Berry / Rocky Helmet
Bold, 244 HP, 12 Def, 252 Sp. Def
Ability: Overcoat

- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Snarl

Didn't bother to get creative on the spread; it's just a lazy mixed bulk spread.
Specs Hydreigon can't 2HKO with Sitrus Berry, lesser variants hardly manage to tickle her.
Aegislash is no threat, at all, unless we're talking about some Toxic Stall madness. In which case, replace Roost with Rest, or Toxic with Taunt.
Snarl will consume Weakness Policy, even behind a Sub, and leave Aegislash at +2 Atk / +1 Sp. Atk. Even with such a large boost, Aegislash can't inflict enough damage to actually defeat Snarl -> Roost loops, and if it switches, well, you have an itemless, Subless, unboosted Aegislash with no harm done to Mandibuzz.
Foul Play annihilates Aegislash, and King's Shield means literally nothing. It also stops Mandibuzz from being Swords Dance / Dragon Dance bait, and can be further bolstered by Rocky Helmet for Kangaskhan, Garchomp, etc.
Snarl also keeps Calm Mind/QD setups at bay, negating Sp. Atk boosts as they come.

Toxic is pretty open, it allows Mandy to kill Hydreigon faster and offer residual damage. U-Turn could also be used, damaging Hydra, or counter-switching when it flees after it cripples itself with DM / realizes how truly fucked it is.
Roost lets Mandibuzz wall the core for a very long time, and is pretty much required on any and all buzzard sets.
Overcoat makes Sand/Hail support irrelevent, and gives you a Spore sponge.

Does one have to OHKO/2HKO both mons to "break" the core, or is walling them + killing them both over a few turns adequate?
Will call dibs on non-mega TTar if Mandibuzz is unsuitable.
I don't see a BS Singles viability thread anywhere so whether or not Mandibuzz is a viable wall or not is a total toss-up.

Oh this one's simple.

Mandibuzz @ Sitrus Berry / Rocky Helmet
Bold, 244 HP, 12 Def, 252 Sp. Def
Ability: Overcoat

- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Snarl

Didn't bother to get creative on the spread; it's just a lazy mixed bulk spread.
Specs Hydreigon can't 2HKO with Sitrus Berry, lesser variants hardly manage to tickle her.
Aegislash is no threat, at all, unless we're talking about some Toxic Stall madness. In which case, replace Roost with Rest, or Toxic with Taunt.
Snarl will consume Weakness Policy, even behind a Sub, and leave Aegislash at +2 Atk / +1 Sp. Atk. Even with such a large boost, Aegislash can't inflict enough damage to actually defeat Snarl -> Roost loops, and if it switches, well, you have an itemless, Subless, unboosted Aegislash with no harm done to Mandibuzz.
Foul Play annihilates Aegislash, and King's Shield means literally nothing. It also stops Mandibuzz from being Swords Dance / Dragon Dance bait, and can be further bolstered by Rocky Helmet for Kangaskhan, Garchomp, etc.
Snarl also keeps Calm Mind/QD setups at bay, negating Sp. Atk boosts as they come.

Toxic is pretty open, it allows Mandy to kill Hydreigon faster and offer residual damage. U-Turn could also be used, damaging Hydra, or counter-switching when it flees after it cripples itself with DM / realizes how truly fucked it is.
Roost lets Mandibuzz wall the core for a very long time, and is pretty much required on any and all buzzard sets.
Overcoat makes Sand/Hail support irrelevent, and gives you a Spore sponge.

Does one have to OHKO/2HKO both mons to "break" the core, or is walling them + killing them both over a few turns adequate?
Will call dibs on non-mega TTar if Mandibuzz is unsuitable.
I don't see a BS Singles viability thread anywhere so whether or not Mandibuzz is a viable wall or not is a total toss-up.
There is one, but it's basically dead. IIRC a new one is in the works. Tagging PikachuCandyツ because Mandibuzz.

There's no core I can't break

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb

Garchomp sounds the perfect pokemon to breakthis core : both his 2 STABS hit super effectively hydreigon and aegislash, respectively.
Swords dance allows Chomp to set up easily on Aegislash's King's Shield.
Why Rock Tomb ? Well, there's only one reason : Hydreigon and aegislash aren't the only pokemon in the game, we need to hit and drop the speed of the whole metagame !
Outrage can be used, but is very risky because of king's shield...
You can also use a focus sash, a lum berry, or a life orb on chomp... I just love the rocky helmet, which allow Chomp to deal 54 heavy percent damage to Kangaskhans !
Be careful though, without a life orb you won't OHKO hydreigon, so you'll need prior damage. Moreover, don't hit aegislash if you're not boosted, a Weakness policy-boosted Shadow ball will be lethal. But if you manage to set up, you just destroy the core.

Do we really need calcs ?

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 288-338 (88.6 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 230-272 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 183-216 (51.2 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
What about scarf hydreigon or weakness policy aegislash? Sorry but this does not break that core at all.

There is one, but it's basically dead. IIRC a new one is in the works. Tagging PikachuCandyツ because Mandibuzz.
Aegislash gets head smash if i recall correctly what can demolish Mandibuzz.

Aegislash gets head smash if i recall correctly what can demolish Mandibuzz.
Both Hydreigon and Aegislash learn it actually. :P
Only OHKO's if it's LO or boosted, and I do admit that LO/WP are not exactly obscure on an Aegislash though.
Hydreigon 2HKO's with LO + Mild Head Smash, factoring Sitrus.

252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 12+ Def Mandibuzz: 164-194 (75.9 - 89.8%)
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 12+ Def Mandibuzz: 180-214 (83.3 - 99%)

I've seriously never seen an Aegislash run it, and Roost stalls it to nothing while Aegislash King's Shields or kills itself via recoil + Foul Play damage (and possible Rocky helmet, but I'm not counting that).
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 12+ Def Mandibuzz: 90-107 (41.6 - 49.5%) [Roosting]

Yes, Mandibuzz is that obnoxiously bulky. :P

What about scarf hydreigon or weakness policy aegislash? Sorry but this does not break that core at all.

Basically, you can set up a SD on Aegislash, who does NOT OHKO chomp, then OHKO him. I've said it, so please can you just read the post before saying anything ? But a scarfed hydreigon can be annoying... you can still low down his speed on the switch using rock tomb or run a focus sash to resist the DM... That's edited !

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thought I'd nominate a token transfer-only mon since we can currently use them. This guy is pretty good, just OHKOes both things real easy. Scarf Draco Meteor is very annoying and allows Aegislash to pick it off with a Shadow Sneak, but the chances of a Hydreigon holding a Scarf are the same as an Aegislash not having Shadow Sneak on its set (25%).
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (102.9 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 234-276 (139.2 - 164.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252+ SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 141-166 (85.9 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 36-43 (21.9 - 26.2%) -- 6.9% chance to 4HKO
edit: forgot to mention that Azumarill is a really common third mon used with the core. Sludge Wave does 99% min to non-Assault Vest Azu's which means it destroys the core, as well as its most common back up

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This week my vote goes to Psynergy and his Blaziken, dubbed as the king of Fighting-types in BS by NOVED himself.
Aegislash really can’t afford to play mind games with Blaziken, as it could potentially carry BP + SD which could end really badly if you spam King’s Shield.
Scarf Hydreigon is really annoying, but if Blaziken ends up KOed somehow you could still setup with your sweeper at the back to take advantage of the -2.
HP Ice rounds off the set really nicely for those Garchomp and Salamence who would really love to come in on Blaziken otherwise.
Last but not least, Blaziken has access to Rock Slide! Just like his fellow starter Sceptile you could even lure in Talonflame for that sweet OHKO :]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm voting for bobochan's Volcarona here. Not only does this thing scare the shit out of the core (assuming Fire Blast hits), it also has Giga Drain for hitting Azumarill with (a really common third mon with this core). Azumarill cannot switch in as any combination of Bug Buzz / Fire Blast + Giga Drain KOes (except the 23% that use Assault Vest). Aqua Jet also does just under 90% so even with the Life Orb recoil on the switch in it can't pick Volcarona off (leaving Volc with a sliver of health, but Giga Drain gets you back to about 30-35% as you KO). If you're lucky you can even get a Flame Body burn off on it. If for some reason you're at +1 and they don't use Aqua Jet then Giga Drain OHKOes....

If you wanna be really pedantic then you could move the 4 HP to SpD and use a 28/29 HP IV (giving 159 HP) to minimise the Life Orb recoil, but gives Azumarill a 6% chance to KO Volc with Aqua Jet after 1 round of Life Orb recoil.

Blaziken is also really good at dismantling this core, has HP Ice to hit the Dragons etc, has Superpower for Kangaskhan (50% KO chance), and is effectively faster thanks to Protect + Speed Boost, but it sucks against Azumarill.

I didn't say it in my nom but third-mon Azumarill is another reason I did Lando, Sludge Wave OHKOes and he tanks an Aqua Jet pretty well (unboosted maxes at 66%, Band maxes at 99%!)

Voting for bobochan this week. Volcarona just loves seeing this core on team preview if both of them lack Head Smash. Once it gets a Quiver Dance up, it's pretty hard to stop it too if you lack a Talonflame. Not too hard to fit on teams, No mega slot, and its cool design are all great reasons to use Volcarona. Beating this core single-handedly is just the icing on top of the cake.

I vote for bobochan. Blaziken is pretty solid too if not for the fact that choice scarf Draco Meteor OHKO.

252+ SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blaziken: 159-187 (102.5 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Volcarona seems a little safer.

hmph. I vote bobochan because aegis can ks and then switch out to hydreigon on overheat and then play around vs ken like that and eventually whittle down and eliminate blaziken. hmph I knew I shoulda nominated mega blaziken with a different set to deal with the issue! shoutout to Psynergy for nearly getting us chicken fans the W this week tho!

Yes, i explained my pick for volc by arguing against blaziken because I wanted to pick blaziken. Deal with it >:(

I can vote for other people, yes?

I'm voting TeamJohto.
Yes, it eats your Mega Slot, but is Char-Y ever a wasted Mega slot?
Gives no fucks about Aegislash (only hope is Rock move behind a Sub), Mixed Hydreigon is a threat, sure, but mixed Hydra a threat to pretty much everything that isn't a Fairy type. Does have Roost if getting wore down is a problem, and literally anything lacking Flash Fire is afraid to switch into it. Doesn't have the immaculate bulldozing prowess of QD but eh.

Volcarona is awesome too though, easily the second favorite (including my own buzzard lol).

Well a clear winner has already been established, but I've always been underwhelmed by Volcarona in practice vs in theory.

so my vote goes to Psyenergy. I've come across mixed attacking Blaziken more often than ever now simply to deal with Aegislash. Forcing me to carry a super bulky water type just to sponge that overheat and pray the stat drop was enough to save me (it doesn't).

and without any means to outpace blaziken's speed outside of a scarf, Hydreigon eventually just loses the speed war and falls like most others.

bobochan cause volc really shits on the core, and being a special attacker is cool cause it doesn't have to play around with king shield or the helmet hydrei set. Also volc can kinda set up on aegi too if it wants which is p nice, you can outspeed scarf hydrei after that point.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna have to vote for bobochan's Volcarona

Volcarona's Speed and STABs allow it to decimate Hydreigon and Aegislash without having to worry besides the rare Head Smash Choice Scarf Hydreigon (I actually like that thing but I don't see it too often lol). I was very close to choosing mixed Blaziken, but I'm giving Volcarona the edge here because it can Quiver Dance up on a lot of Aegislash. Let me tell you: A Volcarona with a Quiver Dance under its belt is extremely frightening, and actually pretty difficult to wall if you don't have Chansey! It also happens to be among the few Fire-types that Suicune is sorta scared of, since Quiver Dance forces non CM Suicune to pray for Sheer Cold to save it from boosted Giga Drains.

Also, I sorta want to highlight that Volcarona is one of those non OU Pokemon that happens to do a lot better in battle spot than OU. Threats such as as Aegislash, Hydreigon, and Cresselia, and Stealth Rock being easier not being as omnipotent, lead to a metagame that is a lot more favorable to Volcarona than others. In fact, you often see Volcarona showing up on teammate stats!

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bobochan wins this week's break that core with Volcarona! Alder would be proud.

This week we look at two of the most common and versatile special attackers in the metagame: Gengar and Thundurus!

Don't think this is the same thing as week 1 where you just simply need to throw a special sponge to beat this core. These two have many different sets that are all viable, and you must remember that when these two are a core of a team they have a good chance of running stuff to beat Pokemon that normally stop them individually. I'm curious to see what you guys are able to come up with!

Happy posting!

Last edited:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 HP

Stone Edge/Ice Punch
Outrage
Roost
Dragon Dance

Thanks to multiscale, Dragonite can take an HP Ice from Thundurus or an icy wind from Gengar and just set up to destroy both in return.

Lum Berry is to make Thundurus lose a turn trying to let off a prankster Thunder Wave, then you can cleanly OHKO it with Stone Edge. Ice Punch will OHKO after a Dragon Dance boost, but that gives Thundurus 2 chances to Thunder Wave your ass, I'd rather be done with him on turn 1.

Roost is there to bring your multiscale back if you feel threatened by another Super Effective move.

For Gengar, +1 Speed on fully invested Jolly dragonite is outspeeding Mega Gengar by just the slightest of margins, but that's good enough. Then outrage just ruins his day, Mega or non-mega.

Dragonite will have trouble with the Perish Trapper Mega Gengar, but honestly, everything will have trouble with it. But since you're outspeeding Mega Gengar after setup, you can bust through a substitute and KO it before the Perish Count drops to 0.

Offensive Calcs:
+1 252 Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 189-223 (140 - 165.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Dragonite Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 156-184 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 88-104 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- Guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Gengar Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 78-92 (46.7 - 55%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)