(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

cant say

Rest + Snore sounds viable enough to use and I like the fact that it goes through subs. I'm seriously considering running Rest + Snore on my Sylveon now and testing it out.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah ok I'm cool with claiming victory. If anyone's man enough to try out Rest+Snore Mega Altaria then let me know how it goes as I'm legitimately curious!

I've been a bit stuck for mons for this as interest seems to be a bit low and I think it's due to some Pokemon only having very few viable options to post about (whereas you have ~700 Pokemon to choose from in Victim of the Week to counter something, which leads to a bit more creativity). I've decided to look into the OU usage stats see what's overly popular here but not so much here. Something that popped out to me is the massive difference between Heatran usage in OU and here, and so I thought that it would be a good candidate for The Next Best Thing. What interesting role do you see Heatran filling in the Battle Spot Singles metagame?

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Endure + custap + explosion, waiting to be released

Heatran @ Custap Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Endure

cant say edit: Endure is a Transfer-only move for Heatran, thus it cannot be used in ORAS Battle Spot (which requires Pokemon to be caught / hatched in a gen VI game)

Last edited:
Just Because

Heatran @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Earth Power / Flame Charge
- Will-O-Wisp / Flame Charge
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

With High Bulk And High Special Attack I Thought Weakness Policy Was A Cool idea

Flame Charge Was For More Innovation And Speed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body Nevermind, Flash Fire it is
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Spe / 252 SpDef
Nature: Calm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Iron Defense
- Flamethrower/Lava Plume/Fire Blast

So. Look at this godly set, lmao. You may be wondering: WHY TF WOULD YOU RUN FLAME BODY OVER FLASH FIRE. That's where the first part of the innovation comes in, my frens :] I chose Flame Body over Flash Fire mainly to attempt to burn the opponent if I haven't Toxic'd them already. Flame Body, if I burn the opponent, helps with crippling the opponent's team and it helps with making stall ezpz. Second part of innovation: Iron Defense. Reason = Stallllllllllllll Issssssss Lifeeeeeeee. Iron Defense raises Tran's defense by 2 stages, which helps with killing my opponent via Toxic :3. In the last slot, I just chose Flamethrower > Lava Plume cause I don't need burns anymore as I have toxic. Flamethrower does more damage and it's 100% accurate. You could use Heat Wave or Fire Blast but Fire Blast has low accuracy and hardly any PP which isn't that good for stall. An Heat Wave, knowing the RNG will miss constantly :]

Das ist all. :3

Last edited:

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Torment-tran

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA (A bulkier spread is probably better. Season Heatran's EVs to taste.)
Nature: Modest
- Torment
- Protect
- Magma Storm / Lava Plume
- Substitute / Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

Heatran has been blessed with a great defensive typing with good defensive bulk. For most Pokemon that can hit Heatran with good damage, they only have one move that does so. Case in point: Garchomp can't touch Heatran without Earthquake, ditto for Lando-T, Rotom-W can't do too much to Heatran without Hydro Pump... The list goes on. Basically, Heatran uses Torment on the switch in (Pokemon like Garchomp and Rotom-W love to switch in on Heatran). It then uses Protect when the opponent uses its only move that hits Heatran. Then, Heatran proceeds by using Magma Storm to trap the opponent and get some residual damage (Lava Plume is a good alternative that provides a good burn chance). Alternate between Protect and a different move to slowly whittle down the opponent.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

The only cool thing I could think of. This Heatran aims to lure in and kill physically bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Azumarill, Suicune, Swampert, Hippowdon and Mega Slowbro by either Substituting or damaging them on the switch-in with Fire Blast or Earth Power, and then finishing them off with a surprise Solar Beam. Substitute eases prediction considerably when you're not sure whether or not their Heatran check is switching in, or if you predict a Yawn to come out from their Swampert or Hippo. The EVs maximise Heatran's damage output while allowing it to outspeed neutral 0 Spe Rotom-W, as well as the 85 Spe group that includes Suicune and Cresselia.

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 51-60 (24.6 - 28.9%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 136-160 (65.7 - 77.2%)
A pretty low roll to OHKO but Suicune will be considerably damaged

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 180-214 (89.1 - 105.9%)
Any prior damage will result in a KO - this calc has a 37.5% chance to outright knock it out

252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 60-72 (29.4 - 35.2%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 178-210 (87.2 - 102.9%)
A guaranteed OHKO if it eats a Fire Blast on the switch - even if it misses then chances are it will attempt to Belly Drum

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 328-388 (158.4 - 187.4%)
hahahaha

252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 135-160 (62.7 - 74.4%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon in Sand: 100-118 (46.5 - 54.8%)
Apparently Sand dampens the damage from Solar Beam :o the more you know haha. Either way Solar Beam results in a reliable KO once Hippo is in range

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 144-170 (91.7 - 108.2%)
50% chance to OHKO - can't switch into Fire Blast. Look out for speed invested Rotom - probably smarter to Substitute if you think one is coming in

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 237-282 (106.7 - 127%)

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

The only cool thing I could think of. This Heatran aims to lure in and kill physically bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Azumarill, Suicune, Swampert, Hippowdon and Mega Slowbro by either Substituting or damaging them on the switch-in with Fire Blast or Earth Power, and then finishing them off with a surprise Solar Beam. Substitute eases prediction considerably when you're not sure whether or not their Heatran check is switching in, or if you predict a Yawn to come out from their Swampert or Hippo. The EVs maximise Heatran's damage output while allowing it to outspeed neutral 0 Spe Rotom-W, as well as the 85 Spe group that includes Suicune and Cresselia.

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 51-60 (24.6 - 28.9%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 136-160 (65.7 - 77.2%)
A pretty low roll to OHKO but Suicune will be considerably damaged

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 180-214 (89.1 - 105.9%)
Any prior damage will result in a KO - this calc has a 37.5% chance to outright knock it out

252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 60-72 (29.4 - 35.2%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 178-210 (87.2 - 102.9%)
A guaranteed OHKO if it eats a Fire Blast on the switch - even if it misses then chances are it will attempt to Belly Drum

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 328-388 (158.4 - 187.4%)
hahahaha

252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 135-160 (62.7 - 74.4%)
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon in Sand: 100-118 (46.5 - 54.8%)
Apparently Sand dampens the damage from Solar Beam :o the more you know haha. Either way Solar Beam results in a reliable KO once Hippo is in range

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 144-170 (91.7 - 108.2%)
50% chance to OHKO - can't switch into Fire Blast. Look out for speed invested Rotom - probably smarter to Substitute if you think one is coming in

252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 237-282 (106.7 - 127%)
this set is godly in OU, lure in water types, bop them with solar beam ezpz. nice set dude n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)