Pokémon Slowbro

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should mind your keyboard and by the way M-slowbro is really not M-Gengar, to be honest I can't say I have already tested him but from my (early) perspective I can't see how he would result in beeing unhealthy for the metagame.....
Because if not properly prepared for, not because its a threat to your team, because it's a threat to every team, then you click Forfeit. You have to have a pokemon dedicated to stopping MegaBro in order to break it down. There are answers to it, but if you want to take it out, you need those answers in order to do so. Theres a reason greninja started carrying Dark Pulse again.

Because if not properly prepared for, not because its a threat to your team, because it's a threat to every team, then you click Forfeit. You have to have a pokemon dedicated to stopping MegaBro in order to break it down. There are answers to it, but if you want to take it out, you need those answers in order to do so. Theres a reason greninja started carrying Dark Pulse again.
Correct me if im wrong...Wasnt GK stronger than Darkpulse against megabro?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Correct me if im wrong...Wasnt GK stronger than Darkpulse against megabro?
It is. Mega Bro weighs more than normal Bro so he takes 100 BP instead of 80 BP from a Grass Knot. Dark Pulse is obviously the better choice against usual Bro because of the flinch chance, but in case of Mega Bro, use GK

It's easy to take down if you catch it early enough. It's scared by strong grass, electric, dark, ghost, and big type attacks. If it hasn't set up yet it's easily 2HKO'd. Slack off sets lose to toxic and resttalk sets can even just lose randomly if sleep talk screws them.

It's easy to take down if you catch it early enough. It's scared by strong grass, electric, dark, ghost, and big type attacks. If it hasn't set up yet it's easily 2HKO'd. Slack off sets lose to toxic and resttalk sets can even just lose randomly if sleep talk screws them.
The thing is, no one is going to bring it in on an unfavorable match up provided they're a competent player. So, That's not how it should be looked at.

It's best not to rely on hax to beat a Pokemon (unless your Togekiss/Jirachi), so Dark Pulse Greninja still seems meh against a +2 Bro. Though after SR damage, it has a much better chance to 2HKO. Also, I forgot Mega Sceptile was a thing, whoops. :P
I've had that actually happen every time to me. T_T

I mean you NEED to be at full and get to +2 as Greninja comes in to win, IIRC. But ideally get rid of it first.

Honestly, one of the best spreads for the CM set IMO is 252HP/16Def/rest SpDef with a Bold nature. It gives you some needed special bulk to avoid important 2HKOs, especially after you get 1 CM. And you still have something like 440 defense.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I've had that actually happen every time to me. T_T

I mean you NEED to be at full and get to +2 as Greninja comes in to win, IIRC. But ideally get rid of it first.

Honestly, one of the best spreads for the CM set IMO is 252HP/16Def/rest SpDef with a Bold nature. It gives you some needed special bulk to avoid important 2HKOs, especially after you get 1 CM. And you still have something like 440 defense.
Just wanted to post this after I reread some post in the old ORAS Discussion Thread.

Original post was made by Zebstrika
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ns-nor-aegislash.3519695/page-92#post-5832649
People EV the Calm Mind set wrong imo. Mega Slowbro's Defense is so high, if you go 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD Bold, you'll be weaker on your special side than your physical...after three Calm Minds! But if you're gonna break Slowbro, you're not waiting until it has 3 Calm Minds; you send in your strongest special attacker and get to work after 1-2 Calm Minds. So don't put your EVs into Defense, also because EVs have a bigger percentage return if you put them in the lower stat (nature is a 10% boost either way, so you can keep a Bold nature). So 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD Bold makes it a lot more difficult to break Slowbro after just one or two calm minds:
Calcs shows that moves that were 2HKO, are still a 2HKO (M-Heracross Pin Missisle for example) but moves on the special side go from a 2HKO to a 3HKO at +1 (M-Gardevoir's Hyper Voice, M-Sceptile's and M-Venusaur's Giga Drain) so I think this spread deserves a spot in the OP

It took me a couple of tries to find a team without a Water-immune Pokemon or stupid Leech Seed lol, but I finally pulled this off.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180319714

Long story short, Iron Defense + Calm Mind Mega Slowbro is extremely annoying, especially when it has Dual Screen support. One of these days, I'm gonna build a full team around supporting this thing and see what it can do against real players, lol.

It took me a couple of tries to find a team without a Water-immune Pokemon or stupid Leech Seed lol, but I finally pulled this off.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180319714

Long story short, Iron Defense + Calm Mind Mega Slowbro is extremely annoying, especially when it has Dual Screen support. One of these days, I'm gonna build a full team around supporting this thing and see what it can do against real players, lol.
As amazing as this is, if it took a team without water immunities or leech seeds to pull this off, what are the chances that it's going to be possible in higher rated ladder games?

I think that even for sets that use Regenerator, the fact that it could also have Oblivious gives an incentive to NOT outright try to taunt a Slowbro is a positive effect. with that in mind, regenerator is too valuable to give up for me, since I can bluff oblivious early on. Especially if it's going to be a popular option.

OML that guy had howl arcanine, special mence and outrage lando. U probably could have swept him with a caterpie
Lol I know the guy was bad. That's why I said that I kinda want to build a full team around it to use against "real players." Of course I'd probably never beat a real player with a 2 Pokemon team of Klefki and Slowbro without a lot of luck. That replay was mostly a joke, but the underlying point is that Iron Defense + Calm Mind Slowbro can be really hard to stop once it gets going. If you throw in Dual Screens to give it an easy first couple of boosts, you can get insane damage calculations like this:

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. +2 252 HP / 4 Def Slowbro through Reflect: 90-110 (22.8 - 27.9%) -- approx. 47.3% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro through Light Screen: 78-94 (19.7 - 23.8%) -- possible 5HKO

There was someone in the Victory Road section that posted a more legit replay demonstrating this set, but it seems to have been deleted because I can't find it.

As amazing as this is, if it took a team without water immunities or leech seeds to pull this off, what are the chances that it's going to be possible in higher rated ladder games?
Pretty good, actually, assuming those are the only things I'd have to worry about. There's basically nothing with Water Absorb, Dry Skin, or Storm Drain that's commonly used at the upper end of the ladder, and the only especially common things that use Leech Seed are Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn. Of course, those aren't the only things that give Mega Slowbro trouble, that's just the things that got in the way when I was goofing around with that joke team (one of them had a Trevenant lol). The set can also have a lot of trouble with really strong super effective STAB moves if I'm not able to get a bunch of boosts quickly enough, as well as phazers if Slowbro isn't my last Pokemon. That said, a full team built around this team would probably include stuff like Gothitelle to trap and kill Leech Seed users/phazers/etc and maybe Memento support to make it even easier for Mega Slowbro to set up.

I see your point but to be fair the opposing player made some pretty poor choices throughout that match. Trying to blizzard slowbro with a mega glalie was where it started to go down hill for him
He actually didn't intentionally use Blizzard on Slowbro, I switched into him. I get your point though, the guy was bad, lol.

Has anybody tried a 252+ SpDef MegaCM Slowbro? Its SpDef stat is so low that any electric type can probably 2hko it especially after rocks even at +1. The SpDef investment might make it easier to set up Calm Minds. Even without any investment, Slowbro has 396 defense.

That's is more than max+ base 130 making it still much more bulky than CroCune while having a higher SpDef stat of 284 compared to Suicune's 266 without investment.

Here are some calcs:
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 168-200 (42.6 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 138-164 (35 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 164-194 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Sceptile Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 150-176 (38 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Mega Sceptile - Base 145 SpAtk)

Has anybody tried a 252+ SpDef MegaCM Slowbro? Its SpDef stat is so low that any electric type can probably 2hko it especially after rocks even at +1. The SpDef investment might make it easier to set up Calm Minds. Even without any investment, Slowbro has 396 defense.

That's is more than max+ base 130 making it still much more bulky than CroCune while having a higher SpDef stat of 284 compared to Suicune's 266 without investment.

Here are some calcs:
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 168-200 (42.6 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 138-164 (35 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 164-194 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Sceptile Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 150-176 (38 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Mega Sceptile - Base 145 SpAtk)
Huh, you actually avoid some pretty important 2HKO's (assuming no rocks). Do you still avoid the important 2HKO's on the physical side? If so, your spread is pretty darn solid.

Yeah, the cool thing about Mega Slowbro is that you can run a fully specially defensive spread and still have about 13.4% more physical bulk than physically defensive Slowbro, which is pretty impressive. That said, I might personally try to run a bit more physical bulk, but I'm not really sure what a good benchmark would be. Maybe 16 EVs and a Bold nature for that jump point with the rest thrown into SpD or something? Kind of arbitrary, but it would definitely be something to experiment with.

There are no bad sets, this is a purely preference mon and he is god tier.

252 defense bold is a great set in its own right and I personally love it. The types of teams that I build incorporate pivoting, fearless switching, and usually very delayed hazard removal (because good spinners still give very unfortunate free turns to the opponent). I don't always have a perfectly healthy slowbro to bring in late game, because in the midgame he's been abusing regenerator and fishing for burns.

Therefore I am not using calm mind to be able to survive hits against magnezone/rotom in the late game, I'm using it to pressure panic the opponent and get them to switch their own pokemons around to rack up hazards and chip damage. Usually a midgame single calm-mind to get a feeling for what answers they have (who is running toxic? who has electric/grass/dark coverage? who has taunt?) followed by either a scald fishing or just switching out and getting the regenerator. Only later, if I actually need it at that point, will I get the real boosting started.

You will miss those 252 defense EVs against strong uturns, +2 talonflames, thunderpunch metagross, life orb mamoswine, burnt conkeldurs, LO weaviles. When post regenerator your mega slowbro only comes in at 50% and takes hazards. It could be the difference between just LOLing at physical attackers and healing up, or dropping dead. Pre-game you have no idea what % you'll actually be when you come in against their physical sweeper for the 5th time. Every defense helps.

There are many ways to play with him and he his far and away my favorite mega. To each their own: fire blast is amazing, ice beam is amazing, rest vs slack off is an endless debate. But this is the set I use and it has been awfully successful, I highly recommend it. Don't theorymon so much about getting past greninjas, just use a porygon2 or a noivern or something and play smart.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Regenerator -> Shell Armor
248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Slack Off

Naturally I paired it with a cleric (sylveon) and something that pwns magnezone (rotom-h) and something that pwns rotom-w (celebi) and from there it was just managing hazards and dealing with the meta's threats (so I used porygon2 and tentacruel)

tl:dr 252 Def Bold is really fucking good

So please explain to me which type of teams would benefit the most from Crocune or CroBro.

And possibly if one of them is better than the other if there is such an answer (I would imagine Shell Armor being a better asset but then Pressure is pretty good too).

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this on Bulky Offense or Balanced/even tried a more offensive set with something like
-Scald
-Slack Off
-Psyshock/Grass Knot/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Thunder Wave
-Psyshock/Grass Knot/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Thunder Wave

That base 130 Special Attack Stat just seems too healthy to ignore--that and it's hard to justify this on Stall when Mega Sableye essentially gives you two Pokemon in one with only a single weakness. Where does MegaBro fit best atm? In a Post-Mega Salamence world?

New poster, long time lurker.

Something interesting about Slowbro is that with regenerator/rest/slack off, pretty good defences, and utility, his base form is pretty useful even without an item. Any chance that you could team him up with other mega pokes that are still pretty good outside of their mega forms for the chance of mind games and give you a bit more versatility?

sableye will always be good with prankster, and garchomp and T-tar is still pretty bulky and damaging.

Slowbro could still be a late game sweeper if you haven't mega'd other pokes, but if the other team counters him pretty hard you have a wild card by megaing other mon's (as soon as the other player sees no lefties on slowbro they will know he has a mega stone.)

Something interesting about Slowbro is that with regenerator/rest/slack off, pretty good defences, and utility, his base form is pretty useful even without an item. Any chance that you could team him up with other mega pokes that are still pretty good outside of their mega forms for the chance of mind games and give you a bit more versatility?

sableye will always be good with prankster, and garchomp and T-tar is still pretty bulky and damaging.

Slowbro could still be a late game sweeper if you haven't mega'd other pokes, but if the other team counters him pretty hard you have a wild card by megaing other mon's (as soon as the other player sees no lefties on slowbro they will know he has a mega stone.)
Slowbro's the best mon to be doing this with, but the others... eh. Sableye runs different sets depending on if it's Mega or not (CM Sableye is pretty bad without it), Garchomp would really like an item, as would TTar. Your best bet would probably be Offensive SD Scizor, since the sets share the same moves and do the same things, but you'd have to run regular Scizor EVs on it to avoid getting outrun by stuff like Heatran, which means that you would lose out on some of MScizor's bulk, so it's not perfect. I wouldn't use two mega stones on the same team, but if I did, it would be these two.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Amnesia
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off

So, what do you guys think about it? I see a lot of people using this after ORAS Launch.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Amnesia
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off

So, what do you guys think about it? I see a lot of people using this after ORAS Launch.
This isn't Gen 1, you know.

Anyways, no offensive boosts mean you're not hard to check, and stuff like Clefable, Mega Sableye, Crocune, and Zard X can setup on you easy.

I think that slowbro in particular definitely makes the idea of 2 wildly different megas on the same team a truly great option in ORAS. Even if you end up using the other mega and slowbro stays in base form, you get all the benefits like less knock off damage, immune to trick, keep regenerator, and megaevolving does not increase your spdef anyway and megaevolving also does not increase scald's burn chance. I'll agree with BlackLight and say that slowbro is definitely the best mega to pair up with another mega -- but it's hard to suggest what should be used alongside it. Something that retains plenty good viability even if it didn't use its mega form. I could see offensive scizor and DD ttar working due to somewhat nice type synergy they have, but I could also see, of all things, alakazam actually working pretty well who only needs the speed in certain situations and magic guard / trace have some abusable niches.

Maybe we can consider an AV Bro, i know that is a bit gimmick but he's so bulky on the special side and a very good movepool, allowing him to hit a lot of defensive threats:

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Max Special Attack with positive nature is necessary to OHKO 168 SDef Ferrothorn after sr:
252+ SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As i mentioned, his special bulk with the AV is relevand, allowing him to resist two DMeteor from LO tios and a TBolt from LO Thundurus, OHKOing him after the LO damage: 252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 260-306 (86.9 - 102.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Try him and give me an opinion^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)