Resource SM Monotype Good Cores

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Defensive Water Core water got some really interesting Pokemon this generation and one of them is toxapex which is just very good defensively. So following is a defensive core that can also be used on semi stall teams.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite /Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest /Slack off
- Psyshock
- Scald

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Scald

The slowbro+toxapex core is really hard to break as they both have regenerator and cover each others weakness pretty well. Swampert is used for electric immunity and stealth rock. This is a great defensive core that is a pain to play against. The aim of this core is to gradually worn out the opposing team through toxic spikes,stealth rock and stall.
•Slowbro can pivot in most physical attacks in conjunction of its pre-mega ability which is regenerator. Slowbro is great as a win condition late game as few things can stop it from sweeping once it has few calm minds under its belt. Psyshock hits special walls hard once few calm minds are up. Scald is the water stab and the chance to burn opposing Pokemon making slowbro more tanky on the physical side. Rest can be replaced by slack off. Non mega slowbro can also be used with leftovers.
•Toxapex is the other member of this core that acts as a glue to the team and is the sp.def Pokemon can switch in most special attacks very easily. Toxapex has regenerator which adds more to its already 50/152/142 bulk. Toxic spikes is used to gradually worn out opposing teams. Haze is used so that toxapex isn't a set up fodder to opposing Pokemon. Scald is just a pure evil move to fish for burns! Recover is used for immediate sustain and to stall things out in tandem with toxic spikes.
•Swampert adds to the team a crucial electric immunity and stealth rock support which is great to keep many types pressured with stealth rock. Physically defensive swampert can tank a lot of things and can phaze out opposing Pokemon with roar and rack up residual damage. Earthquake is used for electric types that can easily threaten this core,earthquake also hits decently even when uninvested. Scald is for fishing burns.

Threats
•Strong wallbreakers like hoopa unbound can really put a dent and a stop to this team by using the appropriate moves.
•Grass types: Grass has always been a pain for defensive and stall mono water teams even if you run sap sipper azumarill as mega Venusaur can still kill it with poison stab.However using Sap sipper azumarill on a defensive water team is a must as it improves match up vs grass types/moves.
•Stallbreakers: Stall breakers like Gliscor,Sableye can easily put a stop to the stall with taunt.
Support pokemon
•Alomomola: Wish support.
•Azumarill:Grass immunity(Sap sipper)
•Defog/Rapid spin support. Empoleon,Tapu fini,Mega blastoise(if non mega slowbro)
Let's begin shall we. You tried to give two different sets in one for Slowbro/Mega and ended up just giving incomplete sets for both options. Please decide on which set you want to use, preferably Mega Slowbro since it is a Defensive Core and there is no other Defensive Mega to use, and only focus on that, plus be sure to put down the actual full, i.e. Rest and Sleep Talk, Iron Defense and Calm Mind, etc. Also please change your EVs for Slowbro to either 232 Def / 24 SpD with a Bold Nature ~or~ 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Bold Nature. The first is pretty standard for Slowbro spreads because it allows to take special hits better and the second is the OU spread that works pretty well with Calm Mind Mega Slowbro. For Toxapex put Toxic as an option next to T Spikes and for Swampert add Yawn as an option for Scald. Normally Yawn would be better used for Balance/Offensive teams, however because you have CM Bro as a set right now, it wouldn't hurt to have a free turn of set-up. Assuming you do go with Mega Bro, please remove Mega Blastoise from teammates. I would also suggest adding Lanturn as a very good teammate for Electric immunity because it helps manage the massive output Electric teams have. Make these changes and I'll look over it again.
Hope you don't mind Alpha, but since I'm on mobile I stole your core template :P

Balance Bug Core
Not a whole lot has changed for Bug since last gen except for the introduction of one, key Pokémon: Araquanid. This little wonder offers bug a legit water and fire resist on top of decent (if one-dimensional) offensive presence. I made a balance bug team around this new addition.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technitian
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch / Knock off
- U-turn / Knock off / Toxic

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
Calm / Careful Nature
- Scald / Liquidation
- Toxic / Mirror Coat
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance / Will o Wisp
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain / HP Ground / Bug Buzz
This is just a basic Balance Bug defensive core you can use to build off of. It features defensive Mega-Scizor, who is one of the greatest blanket defensive checks in the game, with it's near-ironclad defensive typing and reliable recovery. Defog and Roost are mandatory, but your choice of other two moves can range from Bullet Punch to Knock off to Uturn.

Araquanid offers a water and fire resist and special defensive bulk to cover volcarona and Scizor's main weaknesses while pestering with scald / liquidation. Mirror Coat is an option to keep offensive Celesteelas in line, along with other threats.

Volcarona offers a secondary specially defensive bulwark to contend with electric, in particular. Roost is mandatory, but one can run quiver dance + 2 attacks or even Will o Wisp.
Threats
•Strong wallbreakers like hoopa unbound or Lando-I can really put a dent and a stop to this team by using the appropriate moves.
•Electric: Powerful Electric wallbreakers will surge this core if not stopped.
•Set up: Powerful boosting threats are very hazardous for this core, such as Charizard-X.

Support pokemon
•Armaldo / Forretress: Hazard and Rapid Spin Support. Red Card Forretress is an excellent panic button for opposing set up.
•Galvantula: A way of offensively dealing with opposing threats and hazard setters as well as pivoting. Sticky Webs are always good to have.

I'll revise the EVs a little once I get back to my computer, I just wanted to get this out there.
I really don't think Max Defense / Bulk Mega Scizor is all too viable simply because you lose a lot of versatility in coverage and limit what your core can handle threat wise. I'd just say changing this into your RMT's EV spread or something of the like would do. Araquanid is fine. What are the 84 Speed EVs for on Volcarona? I can't see any threat that would require you to have a Speed of 257. Please make it designed to specifically speed creep something, whether its invested base 70s, neutral base 70s, etc. Last thing, why do you have soooo many slashes. I get that you can pretty much run whatever you want, but ideally only really necessary moves should be listed, not everything that happens to be viable for said Pokemon. Make these changes and I'll review again.
Balanced Flying Core
With Celesteela being added to the Flying type, Balanced Flying has a new and improved Skarmory as the teams physically defensive backbone. While Celesteela can't cover the field with rocks teammates such as Landorus-I can and bring the team a nice Electric immunity. Lastly and most importantly the teams specially defensive defogging wall, Zapdos is introduced to the core. Without further ado, here is the core!

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela is the teams premiere Ice and Rock type switchin. This allows Flying to take neutral damage to those supereffective types. Celesteela also provides great team support with Leech Seed and Toxic which allows it to widdle down the opponent's health and simultaneously recover health back through Leech Seed for itslef or the team. Protect is a great move on Celesteela as it allows it not only to scout moves from the opponent such as Choice locked recovery but also its great passive recovery and allows Celesteela to chip down the opposibg team. Finally Heavy Slam is mainly to hit annoying Ice and Rock types that threaten the team while also providing great coverage for fairy types.
Zapdos provides the team with a decent defensive pivot while also having the ability to clear hazards such as Stealth Rocks from your side of the field. Zapdos can stall out Electric teams due to its great typing allowing it to take neutral damage to electric types. Since most of Electric is Specially oriented Zapdos has an easy time switching into most electric type attacks. Volt Switch helps the team slowly gain momentum and pivot into an appropriate teammate to take on the foe. Zapdos then has the option of using Toxic to wear down the foe further and or to use heat wave to wear down steel and ice types further.
Landorus-I is the core offensive presence and stealth rock setter. Due to Celesteela effectively replacing Skarmory there us no obvious Stealth Rocks and Landorus-I brings an offensive presence allowing it to setup rocks on the switch out. Earth Power is Landorus-I's main stab and helps Flying deal with annoying electric and rocks types while taking care of Fire, Steel and Poison type pokemon. Rock Slide was the second move I decided to use was to help me cover Ice and Flying types while hittong Ground resistant Fire types for Supereffective damage like Charizard-Y and Rotom-Heat. Lastly Focus Blast was practically mandatory as it helps the team take down pokemon such as Heatran, Kyurem-Black, Lapras, and bulky normal types such as Porygon2 and some other annoying threatning pokemon to the flying monotype.

Good Teammates
- Charizard Y is a great wallbreaker with Drought and Fire Blast it can tear through any unresisted specially defensive wall. Charizard-Y can also stop sand and rain which severely threaten flying. Focus Blast hits again bulky normal types, ice, steel, rock and dark types. Defog can provide the team with a secondary pokemon to helo clear Stealth Rocks off the field or Roost can preserve Charizard-Y to help it wallbreak longer into the battle.

- This also can help deal with annoying threats such as Paralyzing any nondark type setup sweeper and can cover many different types with coverage. It can also offer strong late game setup sweeper and cleaner with Nasty Plot. Coverage moves it can run are Thunderbolt, HP [Ice], Grass Knot and Focus Blast.

- Dragonite can work as a teams setup sweeper or Choice Banded cleaner. Outrage is strong stab that can help the team break through opposing teams. Extreme Speed is Dragonite's most reliable move that allows it to work as a great late game setup sweeper. Superpower, Fire Punch, and Earthquake are all viable options on banded dragonite. Dragon Dance prefers Outrage, Extreme Speed and Earthquake. Dragonite can also break special walls down for Landorus-I and Charizard-Y.

- Assault Vest Tornadus can form a nice core with Zapdos making a voltturn core. Hurricane can cover Flying, Grass and Bug types and confuse opposing pokemon. Tornadus-Therian's moveset can be customized around the teams need with options of Superpower, U-turn, Knock Off and Heat Wave.

- Togekiss aka the teams rely on hax mon. With access to moves such as Thunder Wave, Roost, Nasty Plot and Air Slash; Togekiss can fully shut down slower teams by flinching them to death, acting as a cleric pokemon or simply outspeed most of the unboosted metagame with a choice scarf.

- In gen 7 mantine was blessed with the 2 utility moves in Defog and Roost. Mantine can provide the team with another toxic user, can provide the team with another defog user or can haxs the opposing team with 100% 30% chance to scald burn. Mantine overall is another great Special wall that flying has access to. Water Absorb can also help the team take on annoying water types and no longer makes the keldeo+terrakion core a pain for flying as Celesteela is a tech for Stone Edge from Terrakion and Mantine can absorb any scald or hydro pump keldeo can throw.
For Zapdos please change the EVs to 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe so that you can effectively Speed Creep up to Max invest Magearna. Other than that you're good.
Offensive Water Core With the introduction of Gen 7,some old and forgotten Pokemon got new abilities and one of them is pelipper. Pelipper this Gen has got drizzle. It is an amazing ability that makes water moves more stronger,it also help Pokemon like kingdra to become a beast in rain and sweep. The core of pelipper+kingdra+Azumarill works really well and is a great offensive core to put opposing teams on their toes.

Pelipper @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn/Hurricane
- Roost

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon/HydroPump

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

•Pelipper with eject button is used so that crucial rain turns are not wasted and kingdra can start demolishing teams with its rain+specs boosted moves.Pelipper has decent physical bulk and it can check Pokemon with either scald or hurricane. It is also a decent hazard remover with access to defog and a reliable recovery in roost. U-turn can be used on the above set to gain momentum as the opponent switches out.
•Kingdra pairs up very well with a drizzle Pokemon so that it can abuse its ability swift swim. Specs kingdra in rain achieves a lot of ohko on opposing Pokemon. It also 2hkos Pokemon that resist its water Stab. Some calculations:
Specs Kingdra Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 159-187 (49.2 - 57.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
Specs Kingdra Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 221-261 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Specs Kingdra Surf vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 241-285 (62.7 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The calculations above are just to give a general idea of how strong kingdra is in rain aided by specs. Draco meteor is 130 bp move that has a lot of ohko potential on opposing Pokemon. Draco meteor helps to get past opposing grass,water and dragon Pokemon.Ice beam is used so that it is easier to sweep vs dragon types. Ice beam also helps against bulky grass types. In the 4th slot,flash cannon is used as fairy types are much more prevalent this generation. Flash cannon can be replaced by hydro pump for some insane move power.
•Azumarill is a strong physical wallbreaker that is really hard to switch into,except dedicated physical walls. 176 speed and adamant nature helps azumarill to outspeed uninvested base 70 speed Pokemon. Normium z with belly drum is used so that azumarill can set up belly drum easily and sweep as belly drum in conjunction with normium z fully heals the user first before deducting hp for belly drum. Aqua jet is a priority move that makes up for its low speed and azumarill can sweep with aqua jet alone once belly drum is set. Play rough is for opposing Pokemon that resist its water stab and vs fighting,dark,dragon types. Superpower is used to deal with annoying ferrothorn.
Threats
•Mega venusaur: Mega venusaur is a nightmare for most mono water teams to face as it has immense bulk as it lets it shrug off the attacks with synthesis and giga drain.
•Electric Pokemon: Things like tapu koko and surge surfer raichu can demolish this core rather easily.
•Defensive teams with dedicated walls can be a trouble for this core as they can shrug off attacks with their bulk. However this can be mitigated by employing smart switches and plays to keep defensive teams on its toe.
Support Pokemon
•Gyarados: It deserves a special mention as its substitute dragon dance and bounce set helps to check grass types like mega venusaur admirably.
•Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
•Starmie: Great speed. Access to rapid spin and can be a secondary rain setter for the team.
•Seismitoad: Offensive stealth rock support from Seismitoad as well as electric immunity is something to consider while building swift swim team since mega swampert is not released.
•Mega Sharpedo: Mega Sharpedo pairs well with this core as it can clean up very easily late game and is a good wallbreaker in general.
Pelipper should have Leftovers as an option before Eject Button and switch Hurricane and Defog. Hurricane should be standard on Pelipper because it provides a powerful STAB grass coverage move. U-turn is technically better than Defog as well because it makes your weather setter a pivot option which is incredibly useful for managing momentum and not losing too much HP on your weather abusers. Flash Cannon should not be an option for Kingdra and please put Dragon Pulse before Ice Beam as an option. Azumarill should have Knock Off as an option over Superpower. Make these changes and you're good.
Balanced Water Core The following is a core of Mantine and Swampert.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog/Mirror coat
- Air Slash/Haze/Toxic

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar/Protect/Toxic

OverviewMantine has always been a good defensive Pokemon with a very good special defense at base 140,however mantine lacked a form of sustain other than rest and its inability to take physical hits well. However Gen 7 proved to be a boon for the kite fish Pokemon,as it got +20 boost in hp and a sustain in the form of roost. Combining all this has increased the viability of mantine. Speaking of the core,mantine works really well with swampert as mantine is x4 weak to electric moves and x2 weak to rock moves,while swampert is immune to electric moves and takes resisted damage from rock moves. With the good special bulk of mantine,it can take grass moves aimed at swampert. Both the Pokemon not only support each other but also provide utility to the whole team in form of hazard,hazard removal and phazing.
•Mantine: The given set above is a standard bulky set with 200 sp.def Evs and a calm nature greatly increasing its special bulk. 60 defense Evs are used so that it takes hits slightly better on the physical spectrum,rest Evs in hp. Roost is used for longevity and it lets mantine take special hits repeatedly. Scald is a stab move to do some chip damage and burn opposing Pokemon,further improving the bulk of mantine. It is also a decent defogger as it can threaten many stealth rock setters with its stab scald. Haze can be used so that mantine can stop set up sweepers. Mirror coat is an option too as mantine can ko Pokemon with it. Air slash helps against grass types especially when the opposing Pokemon resists water stab. Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing walls and to stop sweeps.
•Swampert: Physically bulky swampert set is used,252 def and a relaxed natures allows swampert to take hits from non choice banded Pokemon. 240 hp Evs are used to hit a leftovers number and 16 Evs in attack so that it still hits decently with earthquake. Stealth rock is used to rack up residual damage while earthquake is a stab move that hits pretty well even with little investment.Scald is the other stab move with a chance to burn and thereby increasing its utility. Roar may be used to phaze out opposing Pokemon and to rack up residual damage at the same time. Toxic can also be used in the 4th slot to stop annoying walls and to spread status around which greatly helps in wallbreaking. Protect can be run to scout opposing Pokemon.
Threats
•Dragon types like kyurem black cab be a problem for this core as it can deal good amount of damage to both the Pokemon. This is where protect on swampert helps to scout for its moves if it is choice locked.
•Grass types like mega venusaur and tapu bulu are huge threats to this core and are difficult to play against however checks to both will be listed below.
•Pokemon that have access to both electric and grass type moves can be problematic as it comes down to precise prediction and sometimes it cannot be predicted.
These are some of the threats to the core,if you feel like there are more threats to this then please feel free to tell me.
Teammates
•Volcanion: Helps against grass types. Can check tapu bulu with a scarf set.
•Greninja:Helps to check mega venusaur with extrasensory. Starmie does the same job and is a good offensive rapid spinner if defog is not used on mantine.
•Mega Sharpedo/Gyarados
•Azumarill-Dragon immunity+ wall breaking capabilities.
•Keldeo
First, please explain what the EVs are for specifically. Saying they are for "taking hits nicely" or "doing a little extra damage" isn't a good enough reason to mitigate EVs in such a way. Real in-game situations need to be accounted for. Mantine's moves are fine, though if there weren't as many /'s that'd be better. Swampert shouldn't have Protect as an option and Yawn/Toxic should be options over Scald. Will review once changed.
Offensive Fairy Core

Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, & Magearna

Magearna @ Fairium Z

Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Shift Gear
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer/Leech seed/Bulk Up/Megahorn

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling gleam
- Volt Switch

Basically, this core has amazing synergy. Switch Bulu into ground attacks aimed at Koko & Magearna (between the resist and grassy terrain you take almost nothing). Switch Magearna into poison type attacks aimed at Koko and Bulu, or steel attacks as needed. All three of these pokemon can exert a lot of offensive pressure. Bulu and Magearna are naturally bulky and difficult to kill, and Koko is fast and has volt switch.

I don't think my sets are complete, or even that good, so honestly there is a lot of potential for improvement. But I think their synergy is undeniable and will only get better as the sets improve. That aside, here is my reasoning for the sets I'm using now and how I use them:

• Get Magearna into something that doesn't threaten it by swtich/volt switch and go for shift gear. Z-Fleur Cannon is your nuke that doesn't lower your special attack, and if you can get a kill with it you can go for another kill with Fleur Cannon and be back to neutral. Flash cannon is an amazing secondary STAB on fairy, and wins VS a lot of types. It's worth noting that Fleur Cannon is stronger than SE HP Fire unless Fleur Cannon is resisted, or HP Fire is 4x effective.
  • Bulu is great because of terrain boosted STAB horn leech, making it very difficult for anything that can't KO it to get rid of it. Even with life orb this thing just does not die. (Also it's probably the best switch in to opposing Tapu Koko that fairy has). Stone edge is for zapdos and fire types, as well as providing extra flying coverage if Koko can't handle it. Super power is for steels. The fourth slot feels really open to me -- wood hammer, leech seed, bulk up, megahorn, etc.
  • Koko can do ton of damage with volt switch through out the game while staying healthy for a final sweep. I'm using specs which is honestly a little crazy, but a lot of monotype teams do not have a ground type, or have one that is slower and dies to HP ice. And specs volt switch from Koko seriously dents stuff. You can even use U-Turn over volt switch to ensure a safe switch. Taunt & grass knot are also options.

• Magearna & Bulu's shared fire weakness can be covered with Azumaril. I use band so I don't need to worry about it's health as much. It also helps that both of them are bulky enough to take a few hits from non STAB fire attacks. Klefki screens can help even more. The fire matchup is tough in general as it resists fairy, grass, steel, and even HP fire and ice.
  • This core doesn't really have anything to hit electric, and there aren't many team options to help with that without Mega Diancie.
  • Even though 2/3 of this core and 4/6 of the team I'm using are neutral to steel it's still an uphill battle for sure. Excadril can be especially threatening
I'm not sure why you're running HP Fire on Magearna and not Focus Blast since both either do practically the same in most applicable situations or Focus Blast out damages. The only Pokemon I could see this helping with is Mega Scizor, but you already take neutral from BP so why the specialized coverage? Remove Megahorn from Tapu Bulu because with Grassy terrain there's pretty much no reason to not just run Wood Hammer. Also remove Leech Seed. Not sure what HP Ice is for on Tapu Koko, and I think HP Fire would be better suited here. Add Taunt as an option. After that you should be good.

Alpha-Harpreet and Dece1t, you two need to decide which one of you is submitting this core. If it's Alpha, please make the changes that Stun suggested. If it's Stun, I'll review it again.

I really don't think Max Defense / Bulk Mega Scizor is all too viable simply because you lose a lot of versatility in coverage and limit what your core can handle threat wise. I'd just say changing this into your RMT's EV spread or something of the like would do. Araquanid is fine. What are the 84 Speed EVs for on Volcarona? I can't see any threat that would require you to have a Speed of 257. Please make it designed to specifically speed creep something, whether its invested base 70s, neutral base 70s, etc. Last thing, why do you have soooo many slashes. I get that you can pretty much run whatever you want, but ideally only really necessary moves should be listed, not everything that happens to be viable for said Pokemon. Make these changes and I'll review again.
The EVs on Volcarona were for outrunning Greninja and Tapu Koko at +1, although I had the fine-tuning off (was on mobile). 124 is what you need to outspeed them two (as well as base 70s neutral speed 80s). I'll adjust them.

Defensive Mega-Scizor definitely supports the core better as otherwise you get 2HKOd by the likes of scarf staraptor or physical Koko: it's more reliable although puts more weight on Araquanid and Volcarona to handle special threats.

If you want me to use my RMT spread for Mega-Scizor, should I also change Araquanid to AV, as that's a lot of the reason why I can afford to run mixed defensive on Scizor and Volcarona.

I will remove the excess / slashes with the repost.

I'm not sure why you're running HP Fire on Magearna and not Focus Blast since both either do practically the same in most applicable situations or Focus Blast out damages. The only Pokemon I could see this helping with is Mega Scizor, but you already take neutral from BP so why the specialized coverage? Remove Megahorn from Tapu Bulu because with Grassy terrain there's pretty much no reason to not just run Wood Hammer. Also remove Leech Seed. Not sure what HP Ice is for on Tapu Koko, and I think HP Fire would be better suited here. Add Taunt as an option. After that you should be good.
Fixed the Bulu set & added Taunt for Koko. HP Fire on Magearna was specifically for Mega Scizor just because it's such a threat to fairy teams, and I'd rather have to switch Magearna into it than something like Koko. I will add focus blast as the first option, but is it worth leaving HP fire as a slash? Getting rid of Scizor is really nice.

What is HP fire on Koko meant to hit? HP Ice does OHKO or 2HKO many ground types (Lando, Lando-T, Garchomp, are all OHKOed/OHKOed after rocks, Gliscor is 2HKO), and eliminating them lets you volt switch freely which is really helpful with this set. Personally if I were going to change that to anything it would probably be grass knot to hit hippo and swampert harder.

What is HP fire on Koko meant to hit? HP Ice does OHKO or 2HKO many ground types (Lando, Lando-T, Garchomp, are all OHKOed/OHKOed after rocks, Gliscor is 2HKO), and eliminating them lets you volt switch freely which is really helpful with this set. Personally if I were going to change that to anything it would probably be grass knot to hit hippo and swampert harder.
Ferrothorn and a excadrill are hit hard by HP fire, and otherwise wall and switch in on Koko pretty easily. Excadrill in particular is incredibly hazardous for Fairy to give free switch ins on.

I agree Grass knot is worth running, but I think you could actually drop dazzling gleam to run it, as fairy STAB isn't that valuable to fairy teams.

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balanced Dark Core

Tyranitar @ Babiri Berry /Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 56 SpA / 120 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge /Rock slide
- Fire Blast /Crunch /Pursuit

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet /Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic /Taunt /Brave bird/U-turn

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 212 HP / 132 Atk / 44 Def / 120 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Gunk Shot/ Poison jab
- Fire Blast /Stone edge/Rock slide

The classic Core of Mandibuzz and tyranitar is blessed this Gen with a new addition which is Alolan muk. A-Muk as you all know has fantastic typing in dark/poison which makes it neutral to fairy type attacks and hence it is a check to fairy types this generation on mono dark teams as A-Muk with its high sp.def can switch into fairy type moves with relative ease and use its poison stab moves.
Tyranitar has always been a premier and a very viable rock setter on mono dark teams as it has very good utility options too. The evs listed above lets tyranitar be bulky on the special side at the same time having the bulk to check a lot of things in the current metagame,such as magearna.Leftovers may be used as a form of gradual recovery . Babiri berry is a better option to run as with the evs and babiri berry tyranitar can check scizor and ohko offensive variants of scizor with fire blast.
+6 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Babiri Berry Tyranitar: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 44 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Babiri Berry Tyranitar: 295-348 (73 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 268-316 (78.1 - 92.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
The set above is a utility set and is mostly used as a lead to set up stealth rock which is essential for dark teams to pressure bug and fire mono teams,Cripple opposing Pokemon with thunder wave which makes it easier for teammates to kill. Stone edge is used to hit opposing bug types hard that are a threat to mono dark team such as volcorona.Stone edge may be replaced by rock slide as it achieves the same ohko on both volcorona and charizard Y. It is merely a preference of power vs accuracy. Fire blast is used in the 4th slot to hit hard/dent opposing steel types such as skarmory,ferrothorn,fortress and deter scizor switch ins. Fire blast may be replaced by crunch for a strong dark type stab move, as it hits decently hard even with no investment. However crunch may be replaced by pursuit to trap and weaken opposing Pokemon as they switch out.
Mandibuzz is the only viable defog user on mono dark teams and thanks to it high physical bulk,it makes a presence on almost every dark team. Mandibuzz with its flying/dark typing and good physical bulk is an important check to bug and fighting types. Due to its bulk mandibuzz can switch in on most non banded attacks. As for the move set; rocky helmet is used to punish physical attackers with damage as they make contact. Mandibuzz has access to recovery in the form of roost which makes it an ideal rocky helmet user combined with its high physical bulk. Leftovers is an option too if you prefer mandibuzz to not wore down easily. Mandibuzz has the ability overcoat which it immune to powder and spore moves,Which makes it immune to tyranitar's sandstream and with its ability overcoat mandibuzz can easily check breloom(threat for dark teams) as it immune to spore. Foul play is used to punish physical set up sweepers that try to set up. Foul play enables mandibuzz to check scizor,Gyarados,Dragonite etc which can plough through dark teams. Defog is used in the next slot as mandibuzz is an excellent defensive pivot and can defog in the match a lot of times due to the combination of its bulk and recovery in roost. As mentioned earlier mandibuzz is the most viable and reliant hazard remover that mono dark has. Roost is used in the third slot of recovery as it helps mandibuzz to maintain its longevity in the battle to check threats. In the last slot brave bird may be used,allowing mandibuzz to check fighting types such as keldeo,heracross etc. Taunt may be used over brave bird as mandibuzz is relatively fast for a defensive Pokemon and it can taunt stop slow/bulky set up sweepers and walls. However toxic is an option too to cripple walls and bulky water types and stalling it out with roost. U-turn is an option too in the last moveslot to allow maintaining momentum especially when paired with u-turn hydreigon as it forms a good u-turn core. Tyranitar and A-Muk can switch in to most special attacks aimed at mandibuzz.
A-muk with its good special bulk and a typing in poison/dark becomes an excellent switch in for fairy type moves for mono dark teams. A-muk is no slouch offensively either as it has 105 attack which is very good combined with knock off and gunk shot,it does good damage for a defensive Pokemon. The set above shown is an Assault vest set as it enables A-muk to switch in most fairy type moves with relative ease. A-Muk can then retaliate with its poison stab moves. A-muk has 105 hp and 100 sp.def which makes it very bulky on the special side. Knock off and pursuit are amazing STAB options,the former move allows it to remove items of opposing Pokemon and has a utility purpose where as the latter move allows it to trap and damage Pokemon as they switch out. Combined with its ability poison touch,knock off and pursuit has 30% chance of poisoning the targets which helps in wearing down opposing Pokemon. Gunk shot and poison jab are very good poison stab. Gunk shot has more power,less accuracy, less pp and 30% chance to poison however poison jab has less power compared to gunk shot but pjab has 51% chance to poison when taking its ability poison touch into account. Fire blast is an option to use However if fire blast is used then 44 spa evs with a neutral sp. Atk nature must be used as it allows A-Muk to 2hko max sp.def mega scizor and standard ferrothorn,both of which wall and can set up otherwise. Fire blast can be replaced with stone edge or rock slide as it allows A-muk to check big threats for dark such as volcorona and other fire types such as charizard Y.
Threats:
•Wallbreakers such as landorous-I can easily demolish this core as it 2hko every member of the core. Mandibuzz is 2hko by focus blast and tyranitar and A-muk are also 2hko by earth power respectively.
•Fighting types are a threat however Mandibuzz can tank most physical attacks aimed at the core. Terrakion deserves a mention as a threat as its ability justified makes it harder to check and mandibuzz can't switch into stone edge after rocks.
•Magearna: Magearna with its steel/fairy typing makes it tricky to check it as A-muk can only do some minor damage with fire blast as magearna has good bulk.
Good teammates:
•Hoopa-unbound: A good fighting check and a great wallbreaker in general is an ideal teammate for this core.
•Greninja: Great speed and good special attacks with its plethora of coverage moves makes it a great partner to have on mono dark team. Its Ash-Greninja form is very powerful with its priority water shuriken.
•Bisharp: Steel stab helps against fairy types and is a good set up sweeper too.
•krookodile: Scarf moxie set is a good cleaner to have on the team.
•Hydreigon
•Weavile
•Mega Sharpedo

Last edited:

iLlama

Balanced Dark Core

Tyranitar @ Leftovers/Chople berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge/Rock slide
- Fire Blast/Pursuit

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird/Taunt/Toxic

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak/Brick break/Fire blast
- Gunk Shot /Poison jab
- Pursuit

The classic Core of Mandibuzz and tyranitar is blessed this Gen with a new addition which is Alolan muk. A-Muk as you all know has fantastic typing in dark/poison which makes it neutral to fairy type attacks and hence it is a check to fairy types this generation on mono dark teams as A-Muk with its high sp.def can switch into fairy type moves with relative ease and use its poison stab moves.
Tyranitar has always been a premier and a very viable rock setter on mono dark teams as it has very good utility options too. 252 hp and 252 sp.def ensures that tyranitar is very bulky on the special side which lets it pivot into special attacks with ease. Leftovers is used as a form of recovery gradually. Chople berry is also an option to run on tyranitar as it can live non-stab fighting type moves and cripple the opposing Pokemon with Thuder wave. For example: Tyranitar lives scarf focus blast from gardevoir and cripples it with thunder wave. Calculation:
252 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar: 124-146 (30.6 - 36.1%)
Tyranitar also lives secret sword from scarf keldeo to cripple it with thunder wave if chople berry is item:
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyranitar: 254-302 (62.8 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The set above is a utility set and is mostly used as a lead to set up stealth rock which is essential for dark teams to pressure bug and fire mono teams,Cripple opposing Pokemon with thunder wave which makes it easier for teammates to kill. Stone edge is used to hit opposing bug types hard that are a threat to mono dark team such as volcorona.Stone edge may be replaced by rock slide as it achieves the same ohko on both volcorona and charizard Y. It is merely a preference of power vs accuracy. Fire blast is used in the 4th slot to hit hard/dent opposing steel types such as skarmory,ferrothorn,fortress and deter scizor switch ins. Fire blast However may be replaced by pursuit to trap and weaken opposing Pokemon as they switch out.
Mandibuzz is the only viable defog user on mono dark teams and thanks to it high physical bulk,it makes a presence on almost every dark team. Mandibuzz with its flying/dark typing and good physical bulk is an important check to bug and fighting types. Due to its bulk mandibuzz can switch in on most non banded attacks. As for the move set; rocky helmet is used to punish physical attackers with damage as they make contact. Mandibuzz has access to recovery in the form of roost which makes it an ideal rocky helmet user combined with its high physical bulk. Leftovers is an option too if you prefer mandibuzz to not wore down easily. Mandibuzz has the ability overcoat which it immune to powder and spore moves,Which makes it immune to tyranitar's sandstream and with its ability overcoat mandibuzz can easily check breloom(threat for dark teams) as it immune to spore. Foul play is used to punish physical set up sweepers that try to set up. Foul play enables mandibuzz to check scizor,Gyarados,Dragonite etc which can plough through dark teams. Defog is used in the next slot as mandibuzz is an excellent defensive pivot and can defog in the match a lot of times due to the combination of its bulk and recovery in roost. As mentioned earlier mandibuzz is the most viable and reliant hazard remover that mono dark has. Roost is used in the third slot of recovery as it helps mandibuzz to maintain its longevity in the battle to check threats. In the last slot brave bird may be used,allowing mandibuzz to check fighting types such as keldeo,heracross etc. Taunt may be used over brave bird as mandibuzz is relatively fast for a defensive Pokemon and it can taunt stop slow/bulky set up sweepers and walls. However toxic is an option too to cripple walls and bulky water types and stalling it out with roost. Tyranitar and A-Muk can switch in to most special attacks aimed at mandibuzz.
A-muk with its good special bulk and a typing in poison/dark becomes an excellent switch in for fairy type moves for mono dark teams. A-muk is no slouch offensively either as it has 105 attack which is very good combined with knock off and gunk shot,it does good damage for a defensive Pokemon. The set above shown is an Assault vest set as it enables A-muk to switch in most fairy type moves with relative ease. A-Muk can then retaliate with its poison stab moves. A-muk has 105 hp and 100 sp.def which makes it very bulky on the special side. Knock off and pursuit are amazing STAB options,the former move allows it to remove items of opposing Pokemon and has a utility purpose where as the latter move allows it to trap and damage Pokemon as they switch out. Combined with its ability poison touch,knock off and pursuit has 30% chance of poisoning the targets which helps in wearing down opposing Pokemon. Gunk shot and poison jab are very good poison stab. Gunk shot has more power,less accuracy, less pp and 30% chance to poison however poison jab has less power compared to gunk shot but pjab has 51% chance to poison when taking its ability poison touch into account. Shadow sneak is used to pick of weakened foes and A-muk has decent attack stat to use it. Shadow sneak may be replaced by brick break to do good damage to ferrothorn,bisharp and tyranitar on the switch. Fire blast is also an option to use However if fire blast is used then 44 spa evs with a neutral sp. Atk nature must be used as it allows A-Muk to 2hko max sp.def mega scizor and standard ferrothorn,both of which wall and can set up otherwise.
Threats:
•Wallbreakers such as landorous-I can easily demolish this core as it 2hko every member of the core. Mandibuzz is 2hko by focus blast and tyranitar and A-muk are also 2hko by earth power respectively.
•Fighting types are a threat however Mandibuzz can tank most physical attacks aimed at the core. Terrakion deserves a mention as a threat as its ability justified makes it harder to check and mandibuzz can't switch into stone edge after rocks.
•Magearna: Magearna with its steel/fairy typing makes it tricky to check it as A-muk can only do some minor damage with fire blast as magearna has good bulk.
Good teammates:
•Hoopa-unbound: A good fighting check and a great wallbreaker in general is an ideal teammate for this core.
•Greninja: Great speed and good special attacks with its plethora of coverage moves makes it a great partner to have on mono dark team. Its Ash-Greninja form is very powerful with its priority water shuriken.
•Bisharp: Steel stab helps against fairy types and is a good set up sweeper too.
•krookodile: Scarf moxie set is a good cleaner to have on the team.
•Hydreigon
•Weavile
Just to preface. I love your enthusiasm for submitting cores because it helps fill up all the needed types, but a lot of these posts are either incomplete or are not how the core is actually set up, mainly importable wise. I'm not saying not to submit cores, but really take the time to figure out the spreads and sets for each member of the core before submitting. Saves a lot of time and it leaves cores to people who predominantly use said types and sets. Anyways, let's begin. On Tyranitar, replace Chople Berry with Babiri Berry and change the EVs to any notable Sun and Moon Dark spread; i.e. 252 HP / 80 Def / 56 SpA / 120 SpD with a Relaxed Nature ~or~ 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Relaxed Nature. This spread allows you to better manage major threats within the current metagame, most notably Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Magearna, etc. Add Crunch as an option after Fire Blast and before Pursuit. For Mandibuzz, the order of moves in the last slot should be Toxic/Taunt/Brave Bird/U-Turn. Finally with Muk-Alola, remove Shadow Sneak and Brick Break and add Stone Edge/Rock Slide as options after Fire Blast. Its EVs should also be changed to a more standard spread for AV such as 212 HP / 132 Atk / 44 Def / 120 SpD with a Careful Nature. Make these changes and I'll review again.

OFFENSIVE CORE (BUG)

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Brutal Swing

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack

Standard offensive bug has gotten a couple of new things this meta, namely Araquanid and Buzzwole (some could argue Vikavolt). The core here foregoes Choice Band/U-Turn on Scizor to help secure a sweep. A lot of passive teams rely on status or specific checks to these mons, with SD/Baton Pass you make sure that Pinsir is healthy at +2. Of course Pinsir can find situations to boost on its own. Scizor puts a lot of pressure to certain types (Rock, Dragon, Ice) while Pinsir makes good matchups on mirror, Grass, Fighting and Poison.

Ideal partners are the usual stuff, spinner (Armaldo, Forry), something to take down steels (Hera, Buzzwole, Volcarona)

Last edited:
Offensive Ice Core

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 44 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Cloyster: Now cloyster is really one of the biggest threats ice has this gen and its a shame that people have opted for things like alola sandslash over it. With ninetails aurora veil it eats any physical hit and with its steel killer set it's a nice weapon that can be used for late game sweeps and it does its job almost all of the time vs steel with proper set up and a little damage on magearna and skar. It works even better with a stealth rock mon such as aurorus/piloswine or mamo of you want to use that set to break sashes and sturdy and allow for cleaner sweeps. Also setting up a cloyster vs ground is instant win the only mon that can damage it is exca but behind aurora veil its almost impossible to take out cloy once it starts.

Mamoswine: Now usually i wouldn't run scarf mamo but the need for a special kyurem's unprecedented this gen mainly because of the meta being 60% steel. Ice almost always needs a scarf mon and mamoswine covers fire extremely well with rock slide and eq also has kyurem b as earthpower support vs rotom heat and cloyster can tank most hits from a non boosted charizard especially if aurora veil is up.

Kyurem B: Special kyurem is undoubtedly better for ice this gen which has always needed strong special attackers after kyurem w ban. It has enough speed to outspeed most of the walls that it needs to break for cloy and mamoswine to sweep(toxapex, skarmory, ferrothorn, venusaur) as well as being an extremely good start vs many types vs fire torkoal ohko, vs fairy klefki damage or if they have a koko you might want to lead mamoswine to get an ohko if they stay in thinking rocks and going for taunt.

Good teamates for this core are alolatails, avalugg, aurorus, and piloswine.

Theory monning is great but i do have some vs steel replays if you want to see these three offensive threats in action.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-510123510
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-509293623
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-508876462

Offensive Ice Core

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cloyster @ White Herb
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Cloyster: Now cloyster is really one of the biggest threats ice has this gen and its a shame that people have opted for things like alola sandslash over it. With ninetails aurora veil it eats any physical hit and with its steel killer set it's a nice weapon that can be used for late game sweeps and it does its job almost all of the time vs steel with proper set up and a little damage on magearna and skar. It works even better with a stealth rock mon such as aurorus/piloswine or mamo of you want to use that set to break sashes and sturdy and allow for cleaner sweeps. Also setting up a cloyster vs ground is instant win the only mon that can damage it is exca but behind aurora veil its almost impossible to take out cloy once it starts.

Mamoswine: Now usually i wouldn't run scarf mamo but the need for a special kyurem's unprecedented this gen mainly because of the meta being 60% steel. Ice almost always needs a scarf mon and mamoswine covers fire extremely well with rock slide and eq also has kyurem b as earthpower support vs rotom heat and cloyster can tank most hits from a non boosted charizard especially if aurora veil is up.

Kyurem B: Special kyurem is undoubtedly better for ice this gen which has always needed strong special attackers after kyurem w ban. It has enough speed to outspeed most of the walls that it needs to break for cloy and mamoswine to sweep(toxapex, skarmory, ferrothorn, venusaur) as well as being an extremely good start vs many types vs fire torkoal ohko, vs fairy klefki damage or if they have a koko you might want to lead mamoswine to get an ohko if they stay in thinking rocks and going for taunt.

Theory monning is great but i do have some vs steel replays if you want to see these three offensive threats in action.

Could you explain the EVs you put for Kyurem and Cloyster? I'm having a difficult time understanding what exactly they do to benefit anything/help with any crucial 2KOs/OHKOs.

Could you explain the EVs you put for Kyurem and Cloyster? I'm having a difficult time understanding what exactly they do to benefit anything/help with any crucial 2KOs/OHKOs.
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

16 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 172-203 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

16 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 177-211 (58.2 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 343-406 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Toxapex: 164-195 (53.9 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Torkoal: 341-403 (99.4 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 304-359 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 232-274 (77 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 280-332 (79.5 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 336-396 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 352-416 (102.6 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

cloy has max speed to outspeed pmuch anything scarfed below 350(mostly terrakion) and kyub has enough speed to outspeed adamant excadrill and slower because people like to lead with exca a lot of the time v ground. kyub is there mostly to wallbreak and cloy for late game sweeping so a lot of these calcs aren't ohkoing.

Last edited:
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 192-226 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 161-190 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (not to mention you have Earth Power regardless)

(I won't go through every single one because the rest of them are obvious 2KOs as it is, with or without the weird investment you put in)

A lot of these EVs you have from what it looks like are absolutely pointless, unless with Kyurem you're creeping something, but you still haven't said at all, so I'm assuming you randomly put them there. With a lot of these, w/o the random investment you put it you still land the same 2KO's and OHKOs (with the exception of Skarmory, but that's still a 2KO regardless because of Sturdy). That being said, just change your EVs to the basic ones, there's really no point in having some of these. I also want to ask why you'd run White Herb on Cloyster over Focus Sash, and Rock Slide over Stone Edge on Mamoswine, those I really don't see much of a point of either. I'm not trying to be mean to you, but I implore you before you post a core, you should do some thorough research first to ensure what your posting makes sense and is optimal (for example, perhaps some important speed creeps, good offensive calcs that can make or break a 1v1 matchup/not ones that are already blatantly obvious and not needed).
White herb because cloy is usually behind an aurora veil when it sets up so losing those stats is pretty pointless especially since any decent players top priority v ice is rocks. Rock slide because the only reason to run it instead of superpower is for volcarona and char y. :I sorry aboutthe weird evs I usually take it by how each match i play in game and adjust afterwards especially with ice basic doesn't win games. If cloy wasnt specially invested some of these 20-30% differences could mean a game. I thought cores werent giving people an exact blueprint but an idea of where to start when building a new type and what the biggest threats on said type are.

thx for the criticism tho i'll try to make sure to have some researched evs for my mons next time i post a core :D.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Stun you could be a little nicer man. The guy obviously put a lot of time and effort into making and posting the core. You don't have to shoot him down by saying he needs to do more research before he posts in something like this. He did a fine job and while some of the evs can be tweaked, you don't need to make a paragraph explaining why using negative terms like "pointless." His cloyster set doesn't even look bad and it's given him good succes. Just because it doesn't have the same item or evs you run, doesn't mean it's bad. You really didn't need to post all that u did man, and it came off as really condescending.

Breeze Sea Ur core is fine man. You put good effort into making and and it has obviously given you good success. Your evs on kyu aren't even that bad and yeah, maybe there could be better options, but don't let that discredit your work. You did a fine job. Let someone actually in a position to correct you help you out.

+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 192-226 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 161-190 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (not to mention you have Earth Power regardless, Toxapex will not run both defenses, and usually it is this anyways)

(I won't go through every single one because the rest of them are obvious 2KOs as it is, with or without the weird investment you put in)

A lot of these EVs you have from what it looks like are absolutely pointless, unless with Kyurem you're creeping something, but you still haven't said at all, so I'm assuming you randomly put them there. With a lot of these, w/o the random investment you put it you still land the same 2KO's and OHKOs (with the exception of Skarmory, but that's still a 2KO regardless because of Sturdy, and Scizor, even though for a defensive spread you should really be calcing for Mega Scizor). That being said, just change your EVs to the basic ones, there's really no point in having some of these. I also want to ask why you'd run White Herb on Cloyster over Focus Sash, and Rock Slide over Stone Edge on Mamoswine, those I really don't see much of a point of either. I'm not trying to be mean to you, but I implore you before you post a core, you should do some thorough research first to ensure what your posting makes sense and is optimal (for example, perhaps some important speed creeps, good offensive calcs that can make or break a 1v1 matchup/not ones that are already blatantly obvious and not needed).
Not my thread and not trying to minimod but chill man the guy just wants to share his sets.

+2 76 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 384-456 (100 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 180-213 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 180 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 288-340 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

People that don't make custom spreads will probably use this Mega Scizor one, and his Cloyster guarantees the OHKO after Stealth Rock or any very minor chip. I think this is relatively fine. Ice has a hard time anyway, so I mean you might as well do what you can. If you're OK with the moves on the set lacking Rock Blast, Cloyster really doesn't need a fantastic amount of Attack to function. This set is clearly an attempt to counter what Ice struggles with, so if you're OK with using such a set, the EV spread makes a lot of sense since you still open up the option to beat Flying with SkarmDos both falling to Hydro Pump and Icicle Spear. This isn't C&C where every set needs to be standard. For C&C, we want standard sets that can be used by anyone, but this is Good Cores. These sets are clearly meant to be used together as a core.

This isn't my thread and I'm not in charge at all, but when I look at Good Cores, I don't expect to always see the absolutely standard sets. Why would I look here for that when I can check C&C analyses? His core makes a lot of theoretical sense: the sweeper supported by a powerful wallbreaker and a fast revenge killer to support the weaknesses. And I think looking at his replays, it has a lot of practical success too. The guy literally beat Prosaic using Steel on the ladder for crying out loud and he's in the 1600s with Ice. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you can say he doesn't research or know what he's doing. He's clearly doing something right.

One comment, though, for Breeze Sea you actually need 200 Speed EVs to beat Adamant Excadrill. 196 Speed EVs exactly ties with it!

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Dark Core.

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs /Ice fang
- Waterfall /Hydro pump

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt/Trick

This core is popularly found on hyper offense dark teams which have one Stealth rock setter which is used as a lead and 5 offensive Pokemon on the team to keep opposing teams pressured offensively. The core shown above is pretty simple and effective. Hoopa-u and sharpedo have good offensive synergy as hoopa-u breaks walls that allows for a mega sharpedo sweep while krookodile provides hazard in the form of stealth rock to pressure types.
•Krookodile: It makes up for a great Stealth rock lead as it possesses decent speed and has access to taunt with a very good ability in intimidate. Stealth rock is used to pressure types like bug,fire,flying. A very good point about krookodile is that is faster than most defog users and so it can taunt them before they defog. Earthquake hits hard with its 117 base attacks. Knock off helps against defensive teams and it is a very good utility move in general as it allows the removal of items from opposing Pokemon. Taunt is to stop opposing leads from setting up and clearing hazard. As for the item,focus sash is used so that it can always set up Stealth rock and retaliate with a move after setting rocks up.
•Mega Sharpedo: With gen 7 many Pokemon got new moves and sharpedo got psychic fangs in its arsenal which is boosted by its ability strong jaw. The set is pretty standard. Crunch is a stab move that hits obscenely hard thanks to strong jaw boost. It dents most of the neutral targets very hard. Psychic fangs is a move that is boosted by strong jaw ability and helps vs fighting,poison match ups. Ice fang can also be used in the place of psychic fangs as ice fang allows to hit dragon types such as hydreigon that take less damage from its other moves. Waterfall is the secondary stab used as dark+ water is a good combination offensively.Waterfall can be replaced by hydro pump to 2hko walls such as fortress and skarmory. If hydro pump is used then an alternate spread of 252atk/4spa/252 Spe with naive nature should be used preferably. Protect helps sharpedo get +1 speed boost effectively before it mega evolves,it also allows to scout for moves. Sharpedo mega appreciates the hazards on the opponents side to turn some 2hko into one hit knocks out. With its pre mega ability in speed boost,mega sharpedo is an amazing cleaner late game.
•Hoopa u: Hoopa unbound when equipped with a choice specs has the potential to two hit knock out every Pokemon in the meta using the appropriate moves. Specs make hoopa unbound really hard to switch into. Mega Sharpedo appreciates the wallbreaking of hoopa unbound as it allows mega Sharpedo to clean much easier during late game. Dark pulse and Psyshock are stab move that both hit very hard when equipped with a Choice specs. Psyshock allows hoopa unbound to hit fat walls such as chansey harder than any move.Some Calculations:
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 318-375 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Focus blast allows hoopa-u to dent and even ohko steel types and it is a very good move since it has a high base power but the accuracy is a let down. Focus Blast is used to hit Tyranitar on the switch, which is otherwise problematic for Hoopa-U, as well as eradicating or severely damaging Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Klefki. In the last slot thunderbolt can be used to hit bulky water and flying types such as azumarill and mandibuzz, however trick is an option to run in the last slot,allowing to cripple one of the Pokemon of the opponents team and the ability to switch moves as well as the opponents crippled Pokemon doesn't function as reliably as it would like.
Threats:
•Fighting Types: Fighting types like terrakion and breloom are huge threats as terrakion with a scarf outspeeds and ohko with a close combat where as breloom is problematic due to its technician boosted mach punch.
•Fairy types: Fairy types like magearna are troublesome for this core as it is tough to reliably revenge kill magearna due to its typing and it's solid natural bulk.Azumarill is also troublesome if it gets a belly drum up its essentially gg.
How to deal with threats:
For threats like scarf terrakion and breloom,physically defensive Mandi buzz can be used on the team as a defensive pivot as mandibuzz can ta nk stone edge and close combat from scarf terrakion. Mandibuzz certainly helps against breloom too since mandibuzz has the ability overcoat which makes it immune to spore.
For Fairy types bisharp is a good addition to the team as it can hit fairy types with its strong steel Stab move. Bisharp also pairs nicely with krookodile as bisharp's ability defiant can turn it into a monster if the opponent defogs the rocks set by krookodile.
Support Option:
•Alolan Muk: With its typing in dark/poison and good special bulk,it is a good check to fairy types and a good addition to the core.
•Greninja: Greninja with its high base speed,good coverage(gunk shot for fairies) and protean shenanigans makes it an ideal addition to the core.
•Sableye:Fighting immunity with prankster will-o-wisp to nerf physical attackers makes it a good partner for the core.
•Tyranitar: A very versatile Pokemon,it can run many viable sets thanks to its coverage and bulk.
•Hydreigon: A viable scarf user, an immediate speed control and revenge killer with its awesome coverage makes for a great Pokemon to have on the dark team.

iLlama

OFFENSIVE CORE (BUG)

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Brutal Swing

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack

Standard offensive bug has gotten a couple of new things this meta, namely Araquanid and Buzzwole (some could argue Vikavolt). The core here foregoes Choice Band/U-Turn on Scizor to help secure a sweep. A lot of passive teams rely on status or specific checks to these mons, with SD/Baton Pass you make sure that Pinsir is healthy at +2. Of course Pinsir can find situations to boost on its own. Scizor puts a lot of pressure to certain types (Rock, Dragon, Ice) while Pinsir makes good matchups on mirror, Grass, Fighting and Poison.

Ideal partners are the usual stuff, spinner (Armaldo, Forry), something to take down steels (Hera, Buzzwole, Volcarona)
Iron Plate BP, looking slick. I would say that max speed on scizor could be nice for avoiding taunt mons from messing up your pass, but otherwise nice core. Approved.
Offensive Ice Core

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cloyster @ White Herb
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Awesome core man. Nice to see Ice not only fairing well but succeeding in a Steel heavy meta, major props. Would love to see more replays of your team and participation in this thread as well. I do have one suggestion however, and that would be to consider putting your HP EVs on Kyurem-B into its Speed so you can outspeed max invested Base 80s, i.e. Hoopa-U. With many massive speed threats being banned and the meta settling in, that extra investment will come in handy when dealing with more matchups and when rising threats from ORAS begin to shine again. Approved.
Offensive Dark Core.

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs /Ice fang
- Waterfall /Hydro pump

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt/Trick

This core is popularly found on hyper offense dark teams which have one Stealth rock setter which is used as a lead and 5 offensive Pokemon on the team to keep opposing teams pressured offensively. The core shown above is pretty simple and effective. Hoopa-u and sharpedo have good offensive synergy as hoopa-u breaks walls that allows for a mega sharpedo sweep while krookodile provides hazard in the form of stealth rock to pressure types.
•Krookodile: It makes up for a great Stealth rock lead as it possesses decent speed and has access to taunt with a very good ability in intimidate. Stealth rock is used to pressure types like bug,fire,flying. A very good point about krookodile is that is faster than most defog users and so it can taunt them before they defog. Earthquake hits hard with its 117 base attacks. Knock off helps against defensive teams and it is a very good utility move in general as it allows the removal of items from opposing Pokemon. Taunt is to stop opposing leads from setting up and clearing hazard. As for the item,focus sash is used so that it can always set up Stealth rock and retaliate with a move after setting rocks up.
•Mega Sharpedo: With gen 7 many Pokemon got new moves and sharpedo got psychic fangs in its arsenal which is boosted by its ability strong jaw. The set is pretty standard. Crunch is a stab move that hits obscenely hard thanks to strong jaw boost. It dents most of the neutral targets very hard. Psychic fangs is a move that is boosted by strong jaw ability and helps vs fighting,poison match ups. Ice fang can also be used in the place of psychic fangs as ice fang allows to hit dragon types such as hydreigon that take less damage from its other moves. Waterfall is the secondary stab used as dark+ water is a good combination offensively.Waterfall can be replaced by hydro pump to 2hko walls such as fortress and skarmory. If hydro pump is used then an alternate spread of 252atk/4spa/252 Spe with naive nature should be used preferably. Protect helps sharpedo get +1 speed boost effectively before it mega evolves,it also allows to scout for moves. Sharpedo mega appreciates the hazards on the opponents side to turn some 2hko into one hit knocks out. With its pre mega ability in speed boost,mega sharpedo is an amazing cleaner late game.
•Hoopa u: Hoopa unbound when equipped with a choice specs has the potential to two hit knock out every Pokemon in the meta using the appropriate moves. Specs make hoopa unbound really hard to switch into. Mega Sharpedo appreciates the wallbreaking of hoopa unbound as it allows mega Sharpedo to clean much easier during late game. Dark pulse and Psyshock are stab move that both hit very hard when equipped with a Choice specs. Psyshock allows hoopa unbound to hit fat walls such as chansey harder than any move.Some Calculations:
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 318-375 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Focus blast allows hoopa-u to dent and even ohko steel types and it is a very good move since it has a high base power but the accuracy is a let down. Focus Blast is used to hit Tyranitar on the switch, which is otherwise problematic for Hoopa-U, as well as eradicating or severely damaging Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Klefki. In the last slot thunderbolt can be used to hit bulky water and flying types such as azumarill and mandibuzz, however trick is an option to run in the last slot,allowing to cripple one of the Pokemon of the opponents team and the ability to switch moves as well as the opponents crippled Pokemon doesn't function as reliably as it would like.
Threats:
•Fighting Types: Fighting types like terrakion and breloom are huge threats as terrakion with a scarf outspeeds and ohko with a close combat where as breloom is problematic due to its technician boosted mach punch.
•Fairy types: Fairy types like magearna are troublesome for this core as it is tough to reliably revenge kill magearna due to its typing and it's solid natural bulk.Azumarill is also troublesome if it gets a belly drum up its essentially gg.
How to deal with threats:
For threats like scarf terrakion and breloom,physically defensive Mandi buzz can be used on the team as a defensive pivot as mandibuzz can ta nk stone edge and close combat from scarf terrakion. Mandibuzz certainly helps against breloom too since mandibuzz has the ability overcoat which makes it immune to spore.
For Fairy types bisharp is a good addition to the team as it can hit fairy types with its strong steel Stab move. Bisharp also pairs nicely with krookodile as bisharp's ability defiant can turn it into a monster if the opponent defogs the rocks set by krookodile.
Support Option:
•Alolan Muk: With its typing in dark/poison and good special bulk,it is a good check to fairy types and a good addition to the core.
•Greninja: Greninja with its high base speed,good coverage(gunk shot for fairies) and protean shenanigans makes it an ideal addition to the core.
•Sableye:Fighting immunity with prankster will-o-wisp to nerf physical attackers makes it a good partner for the core.
•Tyranitar: A very versatile Pokemon,it can run many viable sets thanks to its coverage and bulk.
•Hydreigon: A viable scarf user, an immediate speed control and revenge killer with its awesome coverage makes for a great Pokemon to have on the dark team.
Approved.

When starting this thread the thought of needing to moderate chat or anything beyond helping with core submissions and such never crossed my mind, but I guess I was wrong. Dece1t, I appreciate your attempt to help with posts and making sure cores are viable and work well in the Gen 7 Monotype meta, but questioning a person's sets based purely off of them not being generic is ridiculous. Breeze Sea made this core to not only handle the current Monotype meta, but also Ice's and Monotype's worst matchup, period. His core and team overall has had an obvious amount of success and does exactly what it was designed to do. Just because a team, core or Pokemon is built without using the same generic sets that every player knows and uses does not mean they are not just as viable. That's exactly what this thread is for. Cores are designed to work in unison towards a common goal, whether it's wall-breaking, support coverage, etc. The only reason I respond to core submissions is because I want the core to get the most out of what it is built to do, not because I think the Pokemon set or movepool someone is using isn't what I use. If you want generic sets and spreads either go to Monotype Usage Statistics, Smogon Monotype Analyses, or Seo.'s teambuilder. Jokes aside, please refrain from this type of response or you will be asked to not participate in this thread.

For future reference to anyone who posts or responds to a core, please don't question another user's Pokemon knowledge. If you want to try your luck at roasting somebody with 6 posts, at least take it to Monotype discussion for everyone to see it and react or even just talk in pms. There's no need to bash people for not conforming to your ideas on how Pokemon sets should appear.

Eien and Wanka, appreciate the mature responses.

Last edited:
Iron Plate BP, looking slick. I would say that max speed on scizor could be nice for avoiding taunt mons from messing up your pass, but otherwise nice core. Approved.

Awesome core man. Nice to see Ice not only fairing well but succeeding in a Steel heavy meta, major props. Would love to see more replays of your team and participation in this thread as well. I do have one suggestion however, and that would be to consider putting your HP EVs on Kyurem-B into its Speed so you can outspeed max invested Base 80s, i.e. Hoopa-U. With many massive speed threats being banned and the meta settling in, that extra investment will come in handy when dealing with more matchups and when rising threats from ORAS begin to shine again. Approved.

Approved.

When starting this thread the thought of needing to moderate chat or anything beyond helping with core submissions and such never crossed my mind, but I guess I was wrong. Dece1t, I appreciate your attempt to help with posts and making sure cores are viable and work well in the Gen 7 Monotype meta, but questioning a person's sets based purely off of them not being generic is ridiculous. Breeze Sea made this core to not only handle the current Monotype meta, but also Ice's and Monotype's worst matchup, period. His core and team overall has had an obvious amount of success and does exactly what it was designed to do. Just because a team, core or Pokemon is built without using the same generic sets that every player knows and uses does not mean they are not just as viable. That's exactly what this thread is for. Cores are designed to work in unison towards a common goal, whether it's wall-breaking, support coverage, etc. The only reason I respond to core submissions is because I want the core to get the most out of what it is built to do, not because I think the Pokemon set or movepool someone is using isn't what I use. If you want generic sets and spreads either go to Monotype Usage Statistics, Smogon Monotype Analyses, or Seo.'s teambuilder. Jokes aside, please refrain from this type of response or you will be asked to not participate in this thread.

For future reference to anyone who posts or responds to a core, please don't question another user's Pokemon knowledge. If you want to try your luck at roasting somebody with 6 posts, at least take it to Monotype discussion for everyone to see it and react or even just talk in pms. There's no need to bash people for not conforming to your ideas on how Pokemon sets should appear.

Eien and Wanka, appreciate the mature responses.
Thx I was trying to find the right speed to bulk ratio for kyub

Offensive Normal Core

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Recover / Shadow Ball
- Conversion

This normal core utilizes Diggersby to break down walls and Porygon-Z to sweep after its appropriate checks have been eliminated. Choice Band Diggersby has very few switch ins; choice banded Frustration 2HKOs almost everything that doesn't resist it, with Earthquake hitting most of Frustration's resists for at least neutral damage. Fire Punch hits Skarmory and Celesteela, two notable resists to the Ground + Normal coverage, landing a 2HKO. Porygon-Z after Z-Conversion gains a +1 Stat boost in every stat, making it slightly bulkier, but also much more powerful. A choice of shadow ball and thunderbolt can be chosen, with each providing sweeps against specific types.

The EVs for these sets are relatively self explanatory; Diggersby runs Adamant to land critical 2HKOS and OHKOs that a Jolly Nature simply cannot accomplish. 4 Spd ensures that the download users in the tier, the Porygons, do not get a SpA boost. Porygon-Z runs maximum offensive EVs and a Timid Nature to outspeed Scarf Excadrill and Heracross after a Z-Conversion while maintaining its offensive power.

Overall, this core can be placed on Hyper Offensive normal builds and balanced normal builds alike. The offensive pressure ensures that momentum is not lost with either mon, while a balanced eviolite core can supply the core with proper team support (hazards) to aid both Diggersby at break walls and Porygon-Z at sweeping.

Offensive Trick Room Fairy Core

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
This is a fun little Trick Room Fairy Core I've been utilizing. The idea is to hit hard from both the special and physical sides while making use of momentum to keep from wasting TR turns.

Magearna is my primary TR setter, and can generate momentum using Volt Switch to get Bulu and Sylveon. It is also a powerful abuser in itself, hitting very hard with modest 252 SpA Fleur Cannon and nuking with Z-Fleur Cannon. Other options include Z-Focus Blast and Ice beam or T-bolt over Volt Switch. Life Orb can also be utilized, although it chips Magearna's ability to sustain defensive presence.

Tapu Bulu is my primary TR abuser, hitting absurdly hard with adamant grass STAB and sporting solid coverage in stone edge and superpower. Zen Headbutt is for hitting poison types, although Horn Leech is an option to help keep Bulu healthy against ground and water. Grassy Terrain halves EQ damage, allowing Bulu to help the entire team against ground. It especially helps cover Magearna's ground weakness, allowing it to tank earthquakes and offering the team passive recovery.

Sylveon is my secondary TR Abuser, hitting on the special side with powerful pixilate hyper voices. From their Shadow Ball rounds out the special coverage (hitting everything neutrally outside of Pyroar), and Psyshock giving you something to nuke poison. HP Ground is for Heatran, though you can run HP Fire if you wish to deal with steel (though it's kind of a lost MU anyways). It can sponge special attackers Magearna and Bulu fear like Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Earth Power, Air Slash: giving the core some defensive momentum.

Good Teammates for this core include Mimikyu (world's most reliable TR setter), Azumarill (steel neutrality and TR abuser), and Tapu Koko (excellent speedy pivot and special attacker for outside of TR).

Last edited:
Bulky Offensive Dragon Core
+
+
or

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake / Thunderbolt / Power Whip / Dragon Tail

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Surf / Thunderbolt

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

A bulky offensive core of Dragon-type I used for the most of Gen 6 and still use in Gen 7. It's supposed to help the team with taking incoming hits while still having moderate amount of offensive presence to fight back, as Dragon-type appreciates having a bulky backbone, but is not suited well for pure defense.

Garchomp: Arguably the best physically defensive tank Dragon-type has. The combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet punishes the use of some extremely spammable attacks against the Dragon-type team, such as Bullet Punch, Ice Punch and Play Rough (albeit while the latter two deal high damage to Garchomp in average, contact damage still often puts the users of said moves in revenge KO range). Decent overall bulk also lets Garchomp set Stealth Rock up and start the Dragon Tail phazing chain which can wear out the opposing team and make it easier for your cleaner to plow through. Garchomp's natural power also makes this set still decent at tackling Steel-type teams, which resist Dragon-type attacks, despite lower power compared to the fast offensive set. If Steel wasn't too much of a concern, Toxic could be a nice replacement to Fire Blast to make some extremely bulky Pokemon, like Porygon2, more managable for the team. The spread of 248 HP, 168 Def, 92 Spe lets Garchomp outspeed base 70 Speed Pokemon with Speed-positive natures, such as Breloom, Bisharp and Cloyster.

Goodra: One of the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the metagame and equipped with Assault Vest, Goodra can soak up from 2 to 4 supereffective special hits often (such as extremely strong special Dragon attacks once, survive two scarf Latios' Draco Meteors or two average STAB-boosted Ice Beams and Moonblasts), while having just enough power and coverage to strike back, or not giving its enemy the freedom of moves at worst (like tackling Togekiss and similar Fairy-types with Sludge Bomb to force it into Roosting very often and possibly enduring poisoning), providing you a free switch-in for your wallbreaker. Gooey lets it sacrifice itself to halt an opposing Outrage sweep, but Sap Sipper can be used instead if you have Choice Scarf Latios as a teammate, since it already handles the most of extremely fast Dragon-types. For other options, Goodra could use Draco Meteor + Dragon Tail combo, making it less dependent on coverage and providing secondary phazing. While Earthquake hits Heatran, Nihilego and specially bulky Magearna sets, Thunderbolt can be used to check Water-types better. Power Whip retains coverage on Water-types while dealing heavy damage to Water/Ground types and still hurting Tyranitar decently.
If you don't run physical coverage attacks or don't mind using Attack- nature, Goodra can go faster depending on your needs. For example, 48 Speed EVs let Goodra outspeed uninvested Tapu Fini while outpacing Pokemon in 187-200 Speed range, such as Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz, Azumarill and slower Heatran sets.

Latios: The male Eon twin has great Speed, power and Defog, letting him to remove troubling hazards for the core while possessing the high amount of offensive presense. Alternatively, his sister Latias can be used instead for the added Healing Wish support to recover the defensive backbone of the team, but make sure to get a decent special wallbreaker alongside Latias, as while Latios can serve as a special wallbreaker for the team, Latias can't do it well due to lower offense and having only two moveslots for attacks. As for Latios' moves, he can run Surf, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball or even Shadow Ball in place of Hidden Power Fire if you feel like Fire coverage is redundant on him.
Latios can opt for Soul Dew over Life Orb to preserve his health in expense of slight amount of power. In that case, set Latios' HP IVs back to 31. Latios can also run Choice Scarf set with Defog instead.
If you're opting for Latias and don't need her offensive presence much, you can use a support set with the spread of 252 HP, 4 SpA, 252 Spe with Timid nature holding a damage reduction berry (Haban or Roseli, for Dragon and Fairy-type attacks respectively) and moves like Defog, Healing Wish, Thunder Wave, Tailwind, and one attack such as Psyshock (for scarfed Nihilego mainly), Draco Meteor (the strongest move) or Ice Beam (goes the best alongside Thunder Wave, as it hits many Thunder Wave-immune Pokemon for good damage).

Wallbreakers and Choice Scarf users in general: This core is supposed to support them, so take advantage of it! Due to the similarity of many Dragon-type Pokemon and the way they can be run (one Pokemon can be either a wallbreaker or a scarfer depending on your style), it's hard to list some in particular, but some decent examples are Choice Band Dragonite or Kyurem-Black, a special wallbreaker like Hydreigon, and a check to Cloyster in Choice Scarf set for Latios or Choice Band Dragonite with Extreme Speed. At least one Choice Scarf user is mandatory as the core cannot deal with all the offensive threats by its own.

Feel free to point at grammatical mistakes if there are any.

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
Offensive Rock Core:

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic/ knock off /Infestation

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake /Poison Jab/X-Scissor/Zen Headbutt
- Quick Attack

Nihilego @ Choice Specs / Life orb
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass knot
- Thunderbolt /Hp fire /Psychic/Hp ice

The core is pretty simple to use, shuckle sets up hazards which enables terrakion and nihilego outspeed mon and hit them hard with their band and specs attacks respectively. Terrakion on the core deals with steel types that are problematic for rock mono teams, and demolishes walls with its banded attacks and nihilego steam rolls teams with its beast boost ability and its good 103 base speed which is further improved with sticky web support.

Shuckle
Shuckle provides the core with much needed hazard support in the form of stealth rock and sticky webs which enables terrakion and nihilego to score ohkos and outspeed mons with sticky web. As for the item, mental herb is used on shuckle as it gurantees at least one hazard if the opponent uses taunt and trick. encore is used to lock opposing pokemon into set up moves and gain momentum to the team. Encore is very good on shuckle as it is set up fodder due to its putrid offenses. In the last slot toxic may be used to cripple walls and put the opposing pokemon on a timer, however infestation traps and damages even poison types and that is an option to run too. Knock off may also be used in the last slot as it is a good utility move and certainly helps against walls to remove items from pokemon that are crippled without it.

Terrakion:
Terrakion when equipped with a band has absolutely no safe switch-ins and it deals with annoying wall for rock such as skarmory and celesteela:
*252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
*252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 205-243 (51.5 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Terrakion also decimates neutral targets with its strong fighting and rock stab moves. Sticky web enables terrakion to outspeed grounded pokemon and it acts like a psuedo scarf to it. Stone edge is the other stab move that hits very hard too and pretty much 2hkos anything that resists close combat:
*252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 153-180 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
*252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 39.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
Earthquakes hits mega metagross, jirachi harder than close combat without lowering the defenses of terrakion. Poison Jab is an option to run as it deals with fairy types like clefable and grass types without having to rely on shaky accuracy of stone edge. X-Scissor is an option to run as well to deal with grass and psychic types. Zen Headbutt may be used to deal with opposing fighting types that are a threat to rock mono team.Quick attack in the last slot enables to finish off weakened belly drum azumarill and is a priority move to finish off weakened pokemon.

Nihilego
The above mentioned set is an all out attacker set as nihilego can make use of its with its good speed(103 base) and a very good special attack. Power gem and sludge wave are mandatory stab move that hit hard with a specs boost. However life orb can be used as it allows to switch between moves. Power gem is go-to-stab move as rock has very good coverage offensively. Sludge wave deals with grass and fairy types and has a small chance to poison the foe. Grass Knot is used for Ground and water types as both of the types are fairly used in the current meta and can have a field day with rock monotype.In the last slot, thunderbolt can be used to hit bulky water types however hp fire may be used too to deal with steel types such as ferrothorn,scizor and mega metagross.Psychic is specifically to help out vs fighting types as fighting types usually have no hazard control support and once shuckle has set sticky web then nihilego can proceed to sweep late game with its beast boost ability, as it outspeeds everything outside of scarf terrakion and hawlucha on fighting with webs support. Hp ice is an option to run as well for ground as many pokemon have x4 weakness to ice and it will hit them much harder.

Threats:
Grass Types: Grass types such as breloom and mega venusaur are huge threats to the core. Breloom can spore and set sword dance and proceed to mach punch sweep where as sheer bulk of mega venusaur makes it difficult to stop it.

Water Types: Water types such as azumarill,sharpedo mega are threats to the core as the former can do an aqua jet sweep with belly drum where as the latter can proceed to sweep with its speed boost ability.

Steel Types: Steel types such as mega metagross and scizor are a huge threat as both them are very tricky to deal for rock mono.

Teammates
-Cradily
-Tyranitar
-Rhyperior
-Omastar

Last edited:
Balance Pivot Dark core

Dark is an extremely versatile type being able to use many offensive cores, but I prefer having at least two pivots that can cover each other's weaknesses quite well

Tyranitar@ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Trump'sFlyWall (Mandibuzz) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog

The only mon that really rivals tyrnaitar as a special wall on dark is alolan muk but in raw defensive presence tyranitar surpasses with sandstream enabling it to multiply its own special defense by 1.5 in sandstorm and unlike alolan muk with assault vest it is still able to use support moves such as stealth rock and thunderwave. It can switch into almost any special attack barring something like volcanion or landorus which is why I enjoy Hoopa-Unbound as a partner whether it be av or scarf depending on your team. Stone edge is a good stab that enables it to put pressure on flying types such as zapdos or char y that can r3k havoc without ttar. Thunderwave is mostly used either for parahax vs bulky mons to try and prevent recovery or it can be used to cripple a fast mon that may wreak havoc on your team late game. Twave also supports some of the slow attackers on your team to help them secure kos. Fire blast is simple enough in this steel-centric meta especially when ttar is going to lead most of the time, It does significant damage to things such as skarmory, ferrothorn, and celesteela to pressure them into making predictable moves.

Mandibuzz compliments tyranitar so well from being physical attacker to also being immune or nuetral to most of its weaknesses. Foul play is used because mandibuzz is usually the only mon on dark that can tank those boosted physical hits and foul play+rocky helmet vs an attack boosted mon usually cripples or kills whatever thinks it can take out mandi. U-turn grants amazing momentum and one of the primary reasons it's so great on a pivot dark team. You can wall something like a gyarados and safetly u-turn out of whatever the opponent switches into.

Good partners would be any effective offensive core that can cover eachother's weaknesses because dark can use a lot of mons. Ex: Gren+scarf krook+Hoopa u or Alolan Muk+Gren+ inceneroar/banded krook/mega doom if it ever gets released.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 102-122 (25.2 - 30.1%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 160-192 (39.6 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recover

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 128-152 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 136-162 (32.1 - 38.2%) -- 96.5% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 150-177 (35.4 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 8 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor-Mega: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-505408638 v poison

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-504654510 v steel

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-489134365 A few weeks old v fairy pre lele ban but still shows the importance of mandi+ttar

Not that many replays with these two but i did spend a lot of time using them. Defensive mandi+ttar is on all of my dark teams.

These guys are pretty basic but i dont see them getting as much use as i would think so i figured i'd share it on here for anyone wanting a base to start with dark. I've always believed the only manditory mon on any dark is mandibuzz.

Last edited:

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Balanced Poison Core

Salazzle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Oblivious
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Crobat @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Inner Focus
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

With Steel and Ground being the two worst match-ups for Poison this gen, this core aims at giving a way for Poison teams to beat those types with quite a bit of ease.

Salazzle, with a Choice Specs, is able to outspeed OHKO every unboosted Steel type, aside from Heatran, with Fire Blast. It also resists Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch, something which would otherwise threaten any Poison team. Hidden Power Ground allows it to lure in and OHKO Heatran that lacks an Air Balloon, the only reliable Fire switch-in on Steel teams. Salazzle is also able to get the same KOs with Flamethrower, if you would prefer accuracy instead.
Against Ground teams, Salazzle is able to heavily dent every viable Ground type with Fire Blast aside from Garchomp, Gastrodon, and Seismitoad, which in turn are checked by Mega Venusaur. That being said, Sand Rush Excadrill is something to watch out for.

Mega Venusaur's primary job against Steel teams is to check Choice Scarf Excadrill. Earthquake allows it to hit most Steel types, especially specially defensive Empoleon, Bisharp, and Excadrill, and can lure in and KO Heatran. The remaining Steel types are easily swept by Salazzle.
Against Ground teams, it is primarily a check to Gastrodon and Seismitoad. While Mega Garchomp is somewhat checked by Crobat, Mega Venusaur is able to dent the remaining team with Giga Drain, especially Hippowdon, allowing for Salazzle to clean later on due to the lack of sand.

With Choice Scarf Excadrill being a threat to Poison teams, defensive Crobat takes the third spot in the core. It provides the core with the essential hazard removal it needs, and acts as a secindary defensive backbone. It helps deal chip damage against Excadrill, and can readily switch into Iron Head, while Mega Venusaur checks it if it is locked into Rock Slide. After a bit of damage, Excadrill is then put in range of any source of priority on the team.
Although it is able to check Choice Scarf Excadrill, Choice Band is a different story. Its is 2HKOed by Iron Head, and with the chip damage from Rocky Helmet and Brave Bird, Excadrill is once again put in range of any source on priority on the team, namely Sucker Punch from either Nidoking or Skuntank.

Nidoking and Nidoqueen may act as secondary Steel checks with Earth Power and Fire Blast, and are able to set rocks to break Magnezone's and Skarmory's Sturdy.
Skuntank, Alolan Muk, and Drapion are able to switch into Psychic type moves that the core is weak to. Skuntank and Muk are able to then threaten with priority in Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, while Skuntank and Drapion are able to trap threats with Pursuit. Drapion and Alolan Muk are able to use Knock Off, removing Choice items and Leftovers, helping Salazzle clean much easier later on. Skuntank is also able to remove hazards with Defog.
Scolipede is able to clean weakened Fire, Ice, Psychic, and Steel teams on its in with Megahorn, Superpower, Earthquake and Rock Slide. It is also able to outspeed every notable threat after two Speed Boosts, especially Sand Rush Excadrill.

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Crobat: 112-133 (30 - 35.6%) -- 34% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Crobat: 140-166 (37.5 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Crobat: 184-217 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Crobat: 230-272 (61.6 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 89-105 (24.6 - 29%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 444-524 (147.5 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 344-408 (86.4 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 336-396 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 306-360 (86.9 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 273-322 (65 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Bulky- Offensive Fighting Core

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Kommo-O @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
This is a nice bulky-offensive core I've been using for my fighting team with moderate success (1550 is the highest i could get, too much electric ;w;).

Cobalion is my SR setter, and general fairy and psychic check. It hits what it needs to hit, Fairies, hard with Iron Head. It can generate momentum using Volt Switch to get Kommo-O and Buzzwole in against threats it can't manage. T-wave stops threats like Mega-Metagross and Shift Gear Magearna from cleaning your team. Taunt is an option over Volt Switch to lead better and Shuca can be used to better manage ground types. I use Jolly Nature is cause you're using Volt Switch for momentum, not damage, and it isn't worth hurting your bulk or physical offense to boost it's damage.

Kommo-O is my primary special attacker, hitting absurdly hard with modest dragon and fighting STAB and sporting solid fire / steel coverage. Automatize lets you clean against dragon, electric, and other types given the right conditions, and unlike keldeo Kommo-O isn't walled by Slowbro, Toxapex, or Latias in the Psychic/Water match ups. Your coverage outside of stabs is either flamethrower or flash cannon, depending on whether you want to reliable kill the likes of scizor and ferrothorn or whether you want to have any presence against Fairy.

Buzzwole is my primary physical wallbreaker/attacker, sporting powerful bug and fighting STAB. It's main caveat apart from heracross is it's impressive physical bulk, which allows it to check threats like Belly Drum Azumarill and Band Excadrill while effortlessly switching in on Fighting and Ground moves other teammates fear. It also sports good coverage with the elemental punches, able to deck mons Heracross can't like Tapu Fini, Gliscor/Lando, and Mega-Garchomp (though hasty/naive mega-chomp outspeeds). Choice Scarf is an option, where you sacrifice power to clean, and earthquake can be run over T-punch if you want to better manage poison types.

Good Teammates for this core include Scarfers, to offensely check threats to the core. Sweepers like Breloom, Hawlucha, and Hitmonlee can also use the holes punched by our wallbreakers to clean late-game..

Edit: Fixed EVs and Mispel x-x
Edit 2: Fixed Moveset error. Should proofread my posts better.

Last edited:
Defensive Grass Core

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake / Leech Seed / Giga Drain / Sleep Powder

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect / Knock Off

This is a classic grass offensive core, utilizing 3 bulky grass types to set hazards and check most offensive threats. Combined, the three mons have no weaknesses, and thus can check each other's weaknesses.

Ferrothorn should be brought out often, as it can threated to Leech Seed, Set Spikes or just get off solid damage with Gyro Ball. However, its lack of recovery often forces it out on more powerful attackers. Cradily is the primary stealth rock setter, and can use Toxic to check offensive threats. Rock Slide is primarily for Volcarona, but can also hit Zapdos and Mantine for some damage. Venusaur's set is tailored toward steel, as Hidden Power Fire + Earthquake can 2HKO most steel types, outside of air balloon Heatran. Together, if the core remains healthy, Grass will consistently have a backbone to fall upon.

Teammates:
While this core is solid, it does have its shortcomings. Mega-Metagross, Scizor-Mega, and Landorus-I (carrying Psychic) can all bust through this core with the proper moves, and offensive checks to those threats are needed. Breloom can take out Scizor-Mega after it has been weakened by Venusaur. Celebi and Scarf Tapu Bulu can act as offensive checks to Landorus-I; Wood Hammer kills from Tapu Bulu, and Celebi takes close to nothing from Earth Power, Psychic, and Focus Blast. Dhelmise can spin off hazards and also prevent rapid spins.

Explanation for EVs:
Venusaur: 16 speed ensures that Venusaur does not get outsped by a maximum speed adamant Azumarill and also outspeeds other base speed 80s (such as Mandibuzz and No Speed Defensive Togekiss). The rest of the EVs are pumped into defense to deal with physical threats such as Scizor-Mega better.
Cradily: As Venusaur generally does not want to take Special Fire Moves, Cradily has most of its EVs put into Special Defense to tank special hits better. In addition, the special defense gives the best chance for living Volcarona Bug Buzzs, and thus serves as the primary check to Volcarona on grass teams.
Ferrothorn: The EVs for Ferrothorn are a bit odd, yet they serve to check Metagross-Mega and Kyurem-Black. 40+ defense ensures that Ferrothorn lives Ice Punch (or any other move barring Hammer Arm) and Hammer Arm after rocks, while 216 SpD is used to take Kyurem-Black ice beams.

Calculations:
+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 225-265 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 151-178 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 204-244 (72.5 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 342-404 (90.9 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (this just shows that grass has a bad time with volcarona)
0 Atk Cradily Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 388-460 (124.7 - 147.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Ferrothorn: 146-173 (41.4 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 40+ Def Ferrothorn: 81-96 (23 - 27.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
(81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96)
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 40+ Def Ferrothorn: 214-254 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(214, 218, 220, 222, 226, 228, 230, 232, 236, 238, 240, 242, 246, 248, 250, 254)

254 + 96 = 350 < 352 (Ferro's HP)

(Was going to go in depth on each one, but then I realized how many threats there are)

(Ground)

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Water Stall

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald / Protect
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

great synergy. works perfect on water stall, and is capable of checking most obvious threats to water stall, like Mega Charizard Y and Tapu Koko. Lanturn provides heal bell support for Azumarill and allows easy pivoting. if you're not running scald on Lanturn watch out for thundurus-I with Volt Absorb as you'll have to rely on toxic + protect to wear it down. toxapex is there to take on pretty much any physical attacker. you could also run baneful bunker on this over tspikes, if you're using mantine in your team, but tspikes in general is fantastic to go with this core since it's passive as fuck and combined with protect on both lanturn and azumarill it works even better. teammates for this core would obviously be swampert for sr support, maybe scarf keldeo as a revengekiller for pokemon like hoopa-u and friends, and mantine for defog since spikes really messes up this core. it's also very reliant on scald burns to work so good luck with that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)