SM OU Teambuilding Competition Round 12: Alakazam (Building Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Team 9 i guess. I honestly dont like any of these teams if not for the fact each one either gets blown back by something relatively used (team 8 is chary food for example while half these teams click x the moment volcarona clicks quiver dance) or the fact the sets are whack. I feel like a good representation of mew wouldve been building upon a decent offense with the RP set but then again mew seems overrated with the buff anyways. The pinsir idea seemed nice but was killed when you started using stuff like fini to support it as opposed to something that can remove hazards and maintain momentum.

Going to close voting here, the winner of this round is Team 8, which belongs to Amir, congrats!
This round, the task is to build around
Mega Charizard Y and
Dugtrio.
I've been using these two Pokemon together a lot recently and they function so well together. Dugtrio is able to trap Pokemon like Heatran, Nihilego, and Chansey which makes Zard Y's job easier to just click Fire Blast the entire game when it can. I think Mega Charizard-Y is one of the most underrated Pokemon we have right now.

Building Phase will end Monday, February 13th.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

I've been using this core for like a month and this is the most succesful team I built with it so I figured I'd post this. Charizard-Y teams usually follow a similar skeleton especially when paired with Dug and this is a very solid example imo. I'm using Flamethrower Modest Zard-Y because I want it to smash Stall and the low PP of Fire Blast makes it easier to stall out for Stall. Focus Blast isn't 100% mandatory imo because Dug traps Tyranitar and Heatran. So far I've tried HP Electric to improve the rain MU beat the occasional Mantine you can't trap and 1v1 Toxapex more easily on Stall. After deciding to build around this duo I knew I needed an electric check that didn't lose to Koko and a Defogger so I added Tapu Fini first as the Defogger and main water resist. Tangrowth was added next to check electrics mainly and act as a pivot. So far I needed rocks and a ground immunity that didn't lose to Z-Fly Landorus so I went for a Landorus of my own with HP Ice for opposing Landos. Finally I wanted some Speed control and something that could take advantage of the pressure Zard and Dug put on Steel types. Tapu Lele fits nicely here and eventhough its Scarf set has its flaws such as not outspeeding base 100's at +1, I already had Stone Edge Dug for Volcarona and Lando+Fini for Zard-X Salamence and the rare Dragonite.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
[/hice]

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.
Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

So the theme of the competition is Charizard Y and Dugtrio. It is a pretty good core imo as Dugtrio reliably traps Pokemon Charizard has trouble with. So pretty standard Charizard set. Flamethrower was chosen over Fire Blast for better accuracy and Good PP. Modest was chosen over Timid nature for more power. Focus Sash Dugtrio is better for trapping and revenge killing. Reversal helps with Chansey that may wall Charizard and it has tremendous power in low HP. Stealth Rock was given to Dugtrio as it can find time to lay out and my team don't have Pokemon for Stealth Rock. Hazard Removal is absolutely necessary due to Charizard's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Tapu Fini imo is currently the best hazard remover in the tier. Tapu Fini is also great as it handles common Water types my team is weak to such as Keldeo, Greninja without Gunk Shot and Mega Gyarados and thus helps Tyranitar and Landorus-T. I needed Pursuit support from Tyranitar to trap Latios. It also benefits from Landorus's ability to sponge U-turn from Pheremosa. I needed a pivot to bring Charizard in safely. So Landorus-T was added. It also acts as backup check to Garchomp and Zygarde in case Tapu Fini was defeated. Chose the offensive set as my team was lacking a wincon. Rockium Z helps killing Skarmory, Rotom-W and Celesteela. For the last slot I needed a switchin to Tapu Koko which is pretty common and can 6KO my team with stab and coverage. Ferrothorn was the perfect fit, as it also gives me additional hazard support with Spikes which it can easily setup. This helps my hard hitting team some 0HKOes and 2HKOes. Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn helps me mitigate the poor speed of the team outside of Dugtrio. So this team may look weak to Hyper Offense, but it can be played around carefully.

So can we start this weeks challenge again since this suspect test just pooped on these team builds and use zard + trio later( if trio survives)

Red Blood, Black Clothes, White Bones.

Considering how offensive this core is I decided to build a Full Offense based around Triple Fire core. Thanks to Dugtrio I can eliminate the counters of CharY, Volcarona and Heatran. Whirlpool + Taunt Fini was added because i can't only rely on Dugtrio because i needed something to bait the special sponges such as Chansey who hardly could expect a set like this. I put Nature Madness over Moonblast and Scald because I needed instant damage on Chansey and the counters of Volcarona and Charizard Y. Heatran was added to stallbreak and trap some special sponges, i use it with Chople Berry to tank Focus Blasts from Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele and Charizard Y. This way I can weaken or kill them. Scarf Landorus T was added because I needed a Ground Resist who wasn't weak to hazards and because I needed a Revenge Killer that can give me momentum in game.
Hope you understand, my english is bad.

Heavenly Divine (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam

DeadmanStanding (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sludge Wave

Crucify Me (Volcarona) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

To Kill A Hooker (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Evil Empire (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Divine Division (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
Is there gonna be a replacement for duggy since it's probably and certainly gonna be banned?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Considering the verdict wouldnt be out 3 weeks minimum in a competition that only lasts a week at most I dont think its a big deal. Its not like we havent done these competitions in the past where something eventually got banned making a past team unusable.

F*ck balance, f*ck stall

Starts off with core of zardy and and dug, you already know what this does. Dug also happens to trap magearna, alolan muk, ttar, which frees up hoopa to fuck teams up. zard==>hoopa is the easiest chansey double of all time and then something dies. av magearna brings in the bulky mons like tran, tangrowth, ferro, for either dug/two breakers to do work. i hate using fini cuz she's boring but she's the most reliable defogger and covers entire metagame. same can be said of lando but it provides another slow u-turn to bring in threats. dark is the only move you'll ever need on hoopa so i threw on both knock off and also hyperspace fury. then slap focus punch on that bitch to stunt on your opponent. focus blast isnt really needed on zard because of dug so flame charge provides the opportunity to late game sweep against faster teams. hp-ice on lando so as to not lose to zygarde.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 84 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Even tho ttar + charY is better Keldeo is there because I wanted to build around things that pressure common rockers like Lando / Ferro / Heatran etc. since Charizard pressure all hazard removal Fini / Phero. It was originally Z-Hyper Beam but sub + cm is better. scarf drill was added because Fini is bad (scarf drill is bad too) and I couldn't make space for spin phero. Fini adds no offensive pressure. It also revenge's scarf Lele which phero cannot do unless it is also scarf; which doesn't run rapid spin. Koko was added as lure for things like chansey and tyranitar. Taunt allows you to annoy stall heavily. It also forces mega zard x to evolve which means you can trap it with Dugtrio. Ferro was added as a glue for Ash Gren / Metagross / Koko and things of that nature. Dugtrio obviously traps Chansey for Zard which allows you to 6-0 stall with the addition of Koko / CM Keld. If you run into Double Dance Lando click x

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Screech
- Reversal

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
F*ck balance, f*ck stall

Starts off with core of zardy and and dug, you already know what this does. Dug also happens to trap magearna, alolan muk, ttar, which frees up hoopa to fuck teams up. zard==>hoopa is the easiest chansey double of all time and then something dies. av magearna brings in the bulky mons like tran, tangrowth, ferro, for either dug/two breakers to do work. i hate using fini cuz she's boring but she's the most reliable defogger and covers entire metagame. same can be said of lando but it provides another slow u-turn to bring in threats. dark is the only move you'll ever need on hoopa so i threw on both knock off and also hyperspace fury. then slap focus punch on that bitch to stunt on your opponent. focus blast isnt really needed on zard because of dug so flame charge provides the opportunity to late game sweep against faster teams. hp-ice on lando so as to not lose to zygarde.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Modest Nature
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 84 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
Why are you Sand Veil Dugtrio...

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Charizard - Duggy HO

Team :
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Screech
- Memento

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Energy Ball

Description :
  • Starting with the initial core of charizard-y and dugtrio we all know how that works, nothing much switches into zard and what does (chansey, heatran) gets trapped by dugtrio. Since this team focuses on having an offensive play-style, we have deviated slightly from the usual sets. Charizard carries hp electric since heatran and tyranitar are managed by duggy, so that even mantine isn't a safe switch-in, and we have memento on dugtrio so that landorus-t doesn't get off an easy rock polish/swords dance on dugtrio. This can obviously be replaced by reversal but imo duggy manages to chip chansey decently with screech + earthquake and it's kind of necessary to maintain momentum in general.
  • Next up I knew I wanted cm twisted spoon lele as my stall breaker, due to psychic surge being OP as ever, shed shell is an option if you are too afraid of opposing dugtrios, but this team has multiple win-cons, so its decently manageable. Also, since no HO is complete without pheromosa, so we have scarf phero next to have a good cleaner late game and most importantly outspeed scarf garchomp which is annoying to say the least.
  • Now till now we lacked a hazard remover, so latios was added next up. Specs helps it achieve a 2hko on fini with psychic and draco is basically a nuke as always. This also gives us another way to lure bulky stuff(for example on higher ladder I started seeing a couple of shed shell blisseys over chanseys) by tricking specs and basically rendering them useless.
  • And finally I wanted another win-con + something that makes my stall match-up even better(as HO vs stall is kind of pendulum, basically a single turn decides the match, whatever way it goes), so I just slapped on a z-rain dance manaphy, which is again great as most of it's counters are either dealt by zard/lele or trapped by duggy.

Behold a ground spam team:

Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, not a lot of pokemon can switch into it safely, but there are quite a few pokemon that can annoy MZardY to no end and they are:

1. Chansey
2. Garchomp
3. Zygarde
4. Toxapex
5. Salamence

Out of those pokemon, Screech Dugtrio can deal with Chansey, wreck toxapex and provided it switches into full health, it can weaken both Garchomp and Toxapex for a sweep so it is a very fun partner to mega zard y.

Of course, Duggy and Zard need a defogger since they are so weak to SR that it is not even funny, so here comes Tapu Fini, AKA the best defogger in the tier also possessing a very nice typing synergy with zard and duggy.

Ever heard of Tapu koko? ever heard of Protean Greninja? Ever heard of a lot of strong special attackers that can wreck this 3-pokemon-team? Out comes magearna to saves your skin, possibly the best special wall in the tier that can fit on offensive teams.

Now every good team must have a good stealth rocker, the choice was obvious to me, landorus-t forms a very fun defensive core with magearna and tapu fini, I opted for the defensive route to increase its ability to deal with the annoying physical dragons that can threaten this team.

Now this team sounds almost complete, A very strong wallbreaker, a strong defensive core of lando-t/tapu fini/magearna, everything is made to support our beloved wallbreaker, now I need one last pokemon, opposing Zard Y, MegaGross and set up sweepers can be annoying to face, also every good mega zard y team needs a pokemon that can abuse the wallbreaking abilities of mega zard y to sweep late game, here comes garchomp which fits a lot of roles wrapping up this team, it functions as:

1. Check to both Mega Zard Y and MegaGross
2. A way to deal with set up sweepers
3. A late game-sweeper
4. A scarfer sitting at a very good speed tier
5. Ground spam with both Lando-T and duggy
I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Some set notes:
1. Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge as its most targets anyway are 4x weak pokemon in which the accuracy matters more.
2. Toxic is preferred as a panic button to deal with walls on Duggy but Stone Edge can also work as an EdgeQuake covers which can be helpful in many occasions, there's also sucker punch which is.. sucker punch
3. While Dragon Pulse may seem like a weird choice on Zard Y, let's keep in mind that Focus blast's two targets (Heatrap and Ttar) get wrecked by duggy and they are checked / countered by most pokemon in my team anyway, I've slashed it with focus blast as an option to use as DPulse can deal nice damage to the dragons threatening this set.
4. Ancient Power sounds like a very gimmicky choice at first, but it really helps with beating opposing mega zard ys, mantines and dragonites (even though those are rare, but the point is in beating mega zard y which can wreck my team), anyway I've slashed it with both Fblast and Dpulse as other choices

[hide = Importable]
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Screech
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Toxic

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 248 HP / 230 Atk / 4 SpA / 28 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

[/hide]

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
wish these teams were a little more interesting, kinda boring seeing fini slapped alongside hazard weak mons when there's still plenty of viable alternative hazard removal options available. and yea, fini being the water resist isn't that good an idea at all.

also the only teams that actually have rapid spin users use defog latios on the team and the other uses ada scarf drill smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)