Resource SM OU ULTRA Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Went through and cleaned up many of the cores - we focused on deleting the bad ones rather than adding new ones, as we'd like these cores, to, y'know be Good Cores.

This means we are definitely missing cores, so feel free to contribute Good Cores that synergize well and have top metagame threats over the next few days - we'll be watching it closely as we update the thread the next few days.

Speaking of 'we', the lovely Eternam will be my cohost for this thread going forward.

Finally, and the biggest point, we have included SAMPLE sets for all the cores; you can click the name to find the samples.

Keep in mind these are SAMPLES - there are certainly other sets you can run on these cores. Because this thread is very much in a transitional state during this week, please hold back on giving feedback in this thread on the sample sets. Thanks for your cooperation.

Enjoy!

+

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

or

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

This balanced core focuses on Kartana's ability to break through bulkier - and sometimes offensive - teams. Ferrothorn is able to provide stellar support to Kartana, by providing it with fantastic utility in the form of Spikes, Leech Seed and Knock Off (to name a few). The former gives Kartana more breathing room to sweep / wallbreak whilst the latter cripples certain Kartana checks, including the likes of Celesteela and Zapdos. Ferrothorn also provides useful defensive utility against faster 'mons such as Tapu Koko, Ash Gren and Mega Latios, which would otherwise OHKO Kartana thanks to its poor special defense.

will update this post later, time restrictions

Reactions: BM
Offensive Core: Specs Ash-Greninja + CM Fairium Z Tapu Koko

+

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

These two work phenomenally well together when they pressure their shared checks. Ash-Gren sets down the Spikes and racks up chip damage with Dark Pulse. Meanwhile, Tapu Koko's Hidden Power Fire blasts a hole through Ferrothorn, and +1 Twinkle Tackle does a massive amount of damage to AV Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, especially after Spikes.

Here's an example replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724072143.

With Tapu Koko taking the opposing Bulu down with it, Ash-Greninja had a clear path to clean up late game.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is technically in the archive but it's only there kinda as an extra for Tapu Bulu+Kartana, so I thought I'd give it a standalone entry:

Kartana @ Grassium Z / Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR 208 Atk / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off / Defog
- Swords Dance / Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf / Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch / Substitute
Magnezone + Kartana is a potent core that aims to remove problem Pokemon for non-Fightinium Kartana, namely Celesteela, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory (albeit more rarely in the case of the latter), as well as providing a buffer versus opposing Kartana if Magnezone opts to run Scarf. I don't really need to go into much more detail on this 'cuz the core's super self-explanatory, so I'll save you the reading time.

Also gonna sub one more:

Volcarona @ Psychium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic / Hidden Power Ground / Substitute

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk (OR 31 Atk)
- Psyshock (/ Surf / Earthquake)
- Draco Meteor (/ Surf / Earthquake)
- Defog
- Healing Wish
Latias is a nice partner for Volcarona as it provides Healing Wish support, which is valuable as it means that the Volcarona player can be reckless early- and mid-game, allowing it to break while taking hits without worrying about being unable to clean up later. In addition, Latias provides Defog utility, which is important for any Volcarona team for what should be obvious reasons. Finally, it is able to function as a pretty decent means of weakening Heatran if it carries Surf/EQ, being able to switch into it early-game to boot thanks to its typing+good natural special bulk. Volcarona also uses common Latias switch-ins like Gears/Celest/Scizor for setup fodder and can one-shot even SR Mega Tyranitar unboosted after Stealth Rock if it carries Buginium. All in all, nice core; generally would recommend just sticking to dual STABs on Latias but am just listing Surf/EQ for the sake of covering all bases.

Balanced/Defensive core: Wish Jirachi+Utility Rotom-W

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect/Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Stealth Rock is an option over Protect on Jirachi that offers even more utility but comes at the cost of some of Jirachi's longevity. I don't recommend using it unless you're using this core on an offensive team that doesn't need to keep Jirachi alive as long and/or doesn't have many other options for Stealth Rockers.

Rotom+Jirachi is amazing support for teams that appreciate having WishPass, bulky pivots, and/or a consistent Defogger. Jirachi covers Rotom's main issue, it's lack of reliable recovery, as well as forming a VoltTurn core, in addition to having pretty great defensive synergy with Rotom too. Rotom can eat most Fire and Ground type attacks that bother Jirachi and Jirachi can take most relevant Grass attacks for Rotom. Will-O-Wisp cripples alot of switch-ins to both Pokemon, such as Zygarde, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Medicham. This core doesn't do much offensively, as it is built to support the rest of your teammates, but it can pretty easily check some common offensive threats like Landorus-T and Tapu Lele. Because of this, you obviously need an offensive presence. Some great partners for this are Mega Pinsir, which appreciates the slow pivoting, WishPass, and most importantly, having a consistent Defogger, Offensive Landorus-T (either Flyinium or Rockinium, depends on the team) to provide Stealth Rock support and lure threats to this core and it's teammates, and Tapu Bulu, which provides even more passive recovery and tones down Earthquake damage to Jirachi, and appreciates WishPass.

TLDR: This core provides amazing support for offensive and balanced teams alike and has great defensive synergy.

teachable

Banned deucer.
Balanced/Defensive core: Mega Sableye + Doublade + Tapu Bulu

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Toxic
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Hi all, greetings from RU. I like building in OU and w/ the popularity of Lucha+Tapu, Mega Cham, and Kartana, I wanted to try out Doublade since it'll beat any Lucha/Mega Cham set and beat most Kartana sets (albiet we don't like getting knocked, so this is mostly a scarf check). I'm familiar with Doublade from RU, so I know the things it dislikes most are its lack of recovery, hazards, and getting knocked. Mega Sableye handles Knock Offs + Hazards + most special hits, and in turn enjoys having a solid check for physical attackers like the ones listed above + stuff like Bulu + Scarf Lele. CM Lele kinda rips this core apart, Bulu helps remedy that w/ checking most Lele sets while giving Doublade some passive recovery + another Knock switch in, in a pinch.

edit: Doublade needs Pursuit somewhere on its moveset tbh, I changed my set.
edit2: Change doublade's moveset depending on the rest of your team, some combo of Sacred Sword/Gyro Ball/Shadow Sneak/Toxic/Pursuit/Swords Dance.

s/o EviGaro

Last edited:
Tapu Bulu + Mega-Tyranitar

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Sassy Nature
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
Its not hard to see why these two function well together. Grassy Terrain is great under bulky Mega-Tyrantiar, halving Earthquake damage, which is particularly great with a spread of 248 HP / 84 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe and Sassy to OHKO Defensive Landorus-T with Ice Beam, this spread can also take a Kartana Sacred Sword and Alakazam Focus Blast, while these two are checked by Bulu anyway, it gives an idea of the bulk we playing with here. Passive recovery also works really well, particularly as this spread has crazy bulk and is a reliable rocks setter, threatening a lot of Defoggers who fear a Stone Edge and Pursuit trapping them, any Tyranitar appreciates recovery though. In general Dark STAB is just really spammable; the standard Fire Punch variant also works really well to hit steel types if you don’t want to take Superpower on Tapu Bulu. The two have good type synergy too, resisting the others quad weakness, with Bulu also covering Water, Ground and Grass types (notably Ash-Greninja and Kartana lacking Smart Strike), and Tyranitar putting in work against Flying and Fire-types (notably Heatran and Z-Fly Landorus). As with a lot of cores Magnezone pairs nicely to make the Steel matchup a lot better, frees Tyranitar to run Ice Beam and Tapu Bulu to potentially run Stone Edge. This core is pretty customisable, almost any T-tar/Bulu set would work together, in my opinion these two sets go well best together.
Edit: Updated HP EVs

Last edited:
Tapu Bulu + Mega-Tyranitar

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Sassy Nature
EVs: 84 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
Its not hard to see why these two function well together. Grassy Terrain is great under bulky Mega-Tyrantiar, halving Earthquake damage, which is particularly great with a spread of 248 HP / 84 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe and Sassy to OHKO Defensive Landorus-T with Ice Beam, this spread can also take a Kartana Sacred Sword and Alakazam Focus Blast, while these two are checked by Bulu anyway, it gives an idea of the bulk we playing with here. Passive recovery also works really well, particularly as this spread has crazy bulk and is a reliable rocks setter, threatening a lot of Defoggers who fear a Stone Edge and Pursuit trapping them, any Tyranitar appreciates recovery though. In general Dark STAB is just really spammable; the standard Fire Punch variant also works really well to hit steel types if you don’t want to take Superpower on Tapu Bulu. The two have good type synergy too, resisting the others quad weakness, with Bulu also covering Water, Ground and Grass types (notably Ash-Greninja and Kartana lacking Smart Strike), and Tyranitar putting in work against Flying and Fire-types (notably Heatran and Z-Fly Landorus). As with a lot of cores Magnezone pairs nicely to make the Steel matchup a lot better, frees Tyranitar to run Ice Beam and Tapu Bulu to potentially run Stone Edge. This core is pretty customisable, almost any T-tar/Bulu set would work together, in my opinion these two sets go well best together.​
Hey really cool core I'm looking forward to trying it out. Just to let you know, you left off the 248 HP EVs in your importable version of the set for Tyranitar.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion

a cool balance core comprised of 2 self-sufficient win conditions. gliscor finds switchin opportunities vs scizor checks like heatran and toxapex. it also knocks off defensive pivots like landorus-t, zapdos, and celesteela which makes it easier for scizor to wear them down. scizor handles stuff like tapu bulu, tangrowth, and weavile.

this one's pretty simple. magnezone traps steels like celesteela, scizor, and kartana to make gliscor's life easier. there's really not much more to it than that. the only other thing i can think of is that gliscor happens to be a pretty good check to grounds like landorus-t and zygarde, so you usually don't get punished too badly for locking magnezone into stuff like thunderbolt or hp fire which can be nice in some situations, i guess.

mew is a pretty sturdy stealth rocker. gliscor pairs nicely with its ability to soak up knock off or toxic from stuff like tornadus-t, heatran, clefable etc. mew's volt/uturn can easily be will-o-wisp if you don't want to run 2 attacks. i personally find myself to be using this core most often on bulky offense where i'd rather have mew grabbing momentum to bring in a wallbreaker like weavile or medicham, but that's really just personal preference. gliscor could even run a defog set here and that would work out fine.

gastrodon is a pretty good pokemon right now so I'll post some defensive cores with it

heatran is a great stealth rocker that loves coming in into most grass types that are generally gastrodon's switchins so it can setup sr and annoy the opposite team with magma storm. it also checks other stuff like tapu lele, m-scizor, clefable and toxapex while gastrodon takes on things like tapu koko and greninja.

quite similar to heatran + gastrodon, celesteela and gastrodon work well together as celesteela finds a lot of opportunities to start annoy things with leech seed + protect against gastrodon's answers like tapu bulu and ferrothorn since it force out them, while gastrodon can take on things like heatran, tapu koko, zapdos, magearna, etc. it can also toxic the likes of tangrowth so it's easier to wear them down with celesteela.

https://pokepast.es/129aa47475fe5cfb

Lures are getting famous, right? So why not a tran lure. Volcarona w/o HP ground is walled by tran, which steela takes care of while providing a switch in to mega pinsir / etc. Steela invites magnezone too which is a set Up Fodder for volcarona, most Celesteela answers can't stand a chance vs Volcarona, so it works out. Thanks for reading. Celesteela can also use lefties trading for a mind game vs opposing trans.

Leo edit: dont double post please
60+ Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 324-384 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I would not say run 60 Atk Adamant steela
But it should be EV d to At least KO tran after rocks / leech damage

Last edited:
Offensive core: Hidden Power Fire Latios-Mega + Swords Dance Kartana

Recently, Latios-Mega is a really good Pokémon, beating most common cores including Toxapex, Heatran, etc.. while still breaking throught Magearna, Tyranitar and other stuffs. By sacrifiing Draco Meteor for Hidden Power Fire it can lure to knock out or weaken enought common Kartana walls like Scizor-Mega or Ferrothorn to let it sweep.
Thunderbolt can be played instead to weaken Celesteela, having a high chance to 2HKO it, and Skarmory, less common yet. If you decide to run Thunderbolt, I think Grassium Z is the best Z-Move to use because Thunderbolt + +2 Sacred Sword beats standard Celesteela, not taking Leftovers into account.
Of course, +2 Z-Sacred Sword beats these threads but it permit to keep it for an other Pokémon, and permits to sweep even if there are two threads to Kartana, as long as one is weakened.
Magnezone can still be run with this core, but you should run Draco Meteor on Latios then. Choice Scarf Kartana can be run too.
Latios-Mega Thunderbolt vs. standard Celesteela: 196-232 (49.3 - 58.4%)
+2 Kartana Sacred Sword vs. standard Celesteela: 203-239 (51.1 - 60.2%)

Latios-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. standard Scizor-Mega: 300-356 (87.4 - 103.7%)

Latios-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. standard Ferrothorn: 204-244 (57.9 - 69.3%)
Kartana Sacred Sword vs. standard Ferrothorn: 192-228 (54.5 - 64.7%)

Latios-Mega Earthquake vs. standard AV Magearna: 160-190 (44 - 52.3%)
+2 Kartana Sacred Sword vs. standard AV Magearna: 224-264 (61.7 - 72.7%)

Balanced core: Hidden Power Fire Latios-Mega + Signal Beam Reuniclus

Like I said in the previous core, Latios-Mega is a very good Pokémon at the moment, and Hidden Power Fire + Earthquake is a good lure to help some Pokémon, and Reuniclus belongs in this category of Pokémon. Latios-Mega beats common Reuniclus counters like Scizor-Mega or Tyranitar, 2HKOing it with Earthquake after one Stealth Rock. And even if Tyranitar does not die, for instance if it wears the Tyranitarite, giving to it a huge bulk, enought to lives after two Earthquakes, it is now in range of Signal Beam, which permits to Reuniclus to beat Hoopa-Unbound, which is a thread to this Psychic Spam core. Latios does not need to weaken Celesteela for Reuniclus because it can not disturb Reuniclus. This is true for Ferrothorn too.

Last edited:

teachable

Banned deucer.
hey, until doublade is ranked y'all getting lit doublade cores :)

So, what does Doublade suffer from? Special attack weakness, mainly losing to ash ninja, and dislike knock offs. Tyranitar and Gastrodon attempt to remedy both of those things, while helping check the stuff that threatens them like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Hawlucha, etc. Overall it's a unique and fun core, I recommend you try building with it :)

here's a team I made with it, try it out its fun!

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Last edited:

So, what does Doublade suffer from? Special attack weakness, mainly losing to ash ninja, and dislike knock offs. Tyranitar and Gastrodon attempt to remedy both of those things, while helping check the stuff that threatens them like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Hawlucha, etc. Overall it's a unique and fun core, I recommend you try building with it :)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748586589 - fuckingd ecimating stall, long and fun skillful game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748590582 - beating balance really easily
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748592493 - highlights how bad the TR matchup is for this team, maybe someone can fix!

[hide = import]
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
[/hide]
Looks like a rly fun core but I think that rocks mega tar would work better with this core instead of Z move ttar as it offers more defensive utility in general(the spread ur using is for rocks mega tar btw, not reg tar).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748586589 - fuckingd ecimating stall, long and fun skillful game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748590582 - beating balance really easily
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-748592493 - highlights how bad the TR matchup is for this team, maybe someone can fix!

[hide = import]
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
[/hide]
remove the spaces in the hide tag lol. i don't think non-ranked mons will be added to cores. The balance replay is very bad, you only KO two Pokemon, the dude keeps Magnezone in against Mega-Latios for some reason and he hard switches Latias into Ttar wtf. Also Shedinja/Slowbro/Tornadus stall is horrific, the dude played so badly, and you lose in the other replay so I don't really see why you bothered to post them at all.

teachable

Banned deucer.
Looks like a rly fun core but I think that rocks mega tar would work better with this core instead of Z move ttar as it offers more defensive utility in general(the spread ur using is for rocks mega tar btw, not reg tar).
It is rocks mega tar? o.o

remove the spaces in the hide tag lol. i don't think non-ranked mons will be added to cores. The balance replay is very bad, you only KO two Pokemon, the dude keeps Magnezone in against Mega-Latios for some reason and he hard switches Latias into Ttar wtf. Also Shedinja/Slowbro/Tornadus stall is horrific, the dude played so badly, and you lose in the other replay so I don't really see why you bothered to post them at all.
fixed

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Gastrodon has been rising in usage due to its ability to check a ton of common threats, namely Tapu Koko, Zapdos Magearna, Greninja, Mega Latios, and Heatran. Gastrodon can handle Fire- and Electric- types that annoy Celesteela, and in return, Celesteela handles Grass- and stronger physical attackers that threaten Gastrodon. Celesteela is also immune to Toxic, which is the easiest way to cripple Gastrodon. You're going to want a way to handle TSpikes in order to not cripple Gastrodon as well as anything that can setup behind a sub (MLatias, Zygarde, & so on).

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Gastrodon has been rising in usage due to its ability to check a ton of common threats, namely Tapu Koko, Zapdos Magearna, Greninja, Mega Latios, and Heatran. Gastrodon can handle Fire- and Electric- types that annoy Celesteela, and in return, Celesteela handles Grass- and stronger physical attackers that threaten Gastrodon. Celesteela is also immune to Toxic, which is the easiest way to cripple Gastrodon. You're going to want a way to handle TSpikes in order to not cripple Gastrodon as well as anything that can setup behind a sub (MLatias, Zygarde, & so on).
Hi! I find pretty cool your participation, but this core is already posted.

Tapu Bulu & Zapdos

Overview: This is a pretty good core that finds its way into most of my recent teams; Tapu Bulu takes on so many annoying special attackers such as Tapu Lele, Ash-Greninja, and Tapu Koko all in one slot whereas Zapdos covers the threatening Hawlucha, Mega Pinsir, and countless other physical attackers. It is by no means the best core out there, and it does require at least one more partner to round things off, which leads me to my next topic.

Team Options: Heatran is a great pick as an excellent method to deal with Fire-types that can pose a threat for only the aforementioned two, and we all know how great its synergy with Tapu Bulu is. Something for Tyranitar such as Hippowdon is also a great idea. Vincine also fits very well with these two, appreciating the support from Tapu Bulu and being a solid win-condition that synergizes quite well with both Tapu Bulu and Zapdos.

Golem-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Toxapex @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

I figured I would post a core with the newly ranked Golem-Alola. In this core, it is paired with Eject Button Toxapex which is here to help Golem to trap Steel-Types. It can come in on Magearna's Volt Switch, Heatran's Magma Storm or M-Scizor's U-turn for example, and eject button out into A-Golem to claim a kill. Similarly to Magnezone, this core is best paired with pokemons that appreciate Steel-Types removed such as M-Latios, Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

I also wanted to post a core with Staraptor which newly got ranked. This core is pretty self-explanatory: Choice Scarf Staraptor is a pretty strong wallbreaker with its strong STABs in Brave Bird and Double-Edge which really appreciates Magnezone's ability to trap and eliminate Steel-Types. They also form an effective Volt-Turn core with Staraptor being abe to let Magnezone in on Steel-Types thanks to U-Turn.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 192 HP / 68 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 112 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost

Tornadus-Therian and Gliscor form a pretty potent core which is seen very frequently on Balance builds (mostly hazard stack ones). SD Gliscor is a very dangerous breaker, pretty effective at breaking through common balance cores such as Clefable + Ferrothorn (+ Heatran) and also offers defensive utility in switching pretty comfortably on pokemons like Lefties Heatran, Tyranitar, Landorus-T and non Ice-Punch M-Mawile. Gliscor really appreciates Tornadus' ability to pivot and let it in against pokemons like Heatran, as well as its ability to cripple mons with Knock Off and remove hazards when they become too annoying. This core fits very well on hazard stack teams as it's easier for Gliscor to break with hazard support. They also appreciate trappers like Weavile and Tyranitar to trap things like opposing Tornadus-T, Lati@s, Zapdos and M-Medicham.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 192 HP / 68 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stun Spore

This is, again, a pretty simple and self-explanatory core. Tornadus-T and Amoonguss form a Regen core which is pretty cool to maintain the team's longevity. They also offer a pretty good type synergy as Amoonguss can take on Electric Types like Tapu Koko which Tornadus-T dislikes, and Tornadus-T can take on things like Landorus-T, M-Pinsir and Gliscor to an extent. A possible option is Toxic on Tornadus-T which cripples pokemons like M-Latias, Gastrodon and Zapdos.

teachable

Banned deucer.

here's another really good Balanced core I've been messing with, once again featuring Doublade :). This isn't just a gimick, this core has faced up really well against lots of OU threats and I really hope it lets people see the real versatility of Doublade in OU.

Doublade acts as this team's Kartana/Lucha/Bulu and a soft Lele check, check while providing utility to the core with its great movepool to cripple switch ins/switch outs via toxic/pursuit/sacred sword. Nidoqueen is our Koko/Clefable check, being able to comfortably live any attack from it and OHKO it back with Ice Beam with the EV's provided. It additionally acts as our Scizor check and a soft Kartana check should Doublade get weakened while additionally beating Zapdos should you opt to run EP instead. Altaria acts as our Ground immunity and Heatran + Zard X/Y checkcheck, in addition to acting as a Knock Off switch in and an additional Kartana check. You can potentially run Swords Dance on Doublade to use it as an additional win and also check Sub + Bulk Up Lucha, but I think these moves work best with the core at a start; you can teambuild to remove one of them. Roar also works on Nidoqueen and helps a bit in the Screens match up.

LMK what you think, dOUblade is good :3.
here's some replays of the core in work, I hadn't switched to Flamethrower yet sadly.

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Toxic

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 84 Def / 144 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

Last edited:
The Face of Balance!

Being fat balance builds so common right now, this core is a really good representation of the state of the metagame and the playstyle. This three guys have insane type sinergy, offensive and defensively, and together form a fantasy core of Fairy-Steel-Dragon. First member is Clefable, in its most common fashion right now: Wish Passer and Rock Setter, all we know what this mon is doing in the metagame checking dangerous shit like M-Medicham and Zygarde, annoyances for Heatran. Next member is Heatran in its offensive stallbreaker side: Firium Z + Toxic/Taunt breaks almost any variant of stall lacking Gliscor, and still provides great defensive value checking some Tapu Lele and Magearna sets, also checks M-Scizor, Ferrothorn and Celesteela, common annoyances for Clef and M-Lati, and the shit that allows the core run such Heatran set is the great Wish support from Clefable. Finally, CM Stored Power M-Latias provides a pretty strong wincon and also a check for things like Keldeo, Focus Blast M-Charizard Y, Landorus-T and Gliscor, while also taking advantage of Heatran's breaking power to clean up games with CM. Strong core, which shows us the stage of the metagame and the power of balance right now.

A minor nitpick is the fact that Roost+3 moves M-Latias also works here, but I feel CM Stored Power is threatening as hell if you don't have a strong counter like Ttar.

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt / A Coverage Move

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Heatran @ Firium Z / Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Last edited:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Mega Slowbro is pretty anti-meta right now and is a really good partner with Heatran. Mega Slowbro takes on many of the Pokemon that Heatran is weak to such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Mega Medicham, and Hawlucha, to name a few notable ones. In return, Heatran helps a lot with Grass-types like Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss which Mega Slowbro struggles against. It's also nice for Steel-types that can pressure Mega Slowbro like Ferrothorn and Magearna. Pair this core with a Grass-type like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, or Tapu Bulu to help against Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko and this core can easily shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)