Metagame SM RU - RU Alpha Discussion - Month 2

What are you looking forward to in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After playing this meta a lot I just want to talk about a couple of mons that have stood out to me as excessively powerful and probably broken. There are certainly many others that are probably too much for this tier and as the tier is still in the alpha stage this makes sense.

I know that I'm stating the obvious here but Crawdaunt is completely silly. We all know from last gen that its damage output is crazy, its STAB combo is excellent and its access to aqua jet allows it to take on offensive mons without needing a high speed stat. With swords dance as well, it has the ability to break through almost every wall in the tier easily.

Currently, there are only three mons in the tier that are seen regularly that resist crawdaunt's STABs. These are Toxicroak, Kommo-o and Chesnaught. Out of those 3, only kommo-o and chesnaught can switch in somewhat consistently but I wouldn't even call these mons counters. By virtue of knock off being one of its stabs, Chesnaught's recovery is cut in by half once it comes in and loses its leftovers, thereby making it easier to wear down. After this, all Crawdaunt needs is Chesnaught to be left at half hp for it to break through with a +2 crabhammer.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 183-217 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 169-199 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This means that any stall team is really going to struggle to take crawdaunt on if it fails to get a burn or toxic early on in a match.

As already mentioned though, Crawdaunt can very easily put pressure on offensive and balanced teams with its massive aqua jet. Crawdaunt forces so many switches that a bold player may be able to get swords dances off in many situations. If a player does manage to do this then the only offensive mons that can take priority hit well seem to be kyurem, celebi, toxicroak, kommo-o and a couple of others.
Finally, as Trick room seems to be fairly popular at the moment, crawdaunt definitely seems to be the most threatening mon on those kinds of teams. Its huge power, ability to run adamant and its access to aqua jet make it unbelievably useful to a trick room player and can often sweep through teams easily.
This mon is completely fucked and needs to go as soon as possible in my opinion.

The other mon that I find broken in this meta is slightly unexpected but still crazy is kyurem.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire / Toxic
- Roost

I've used this set extensively and all I can say is that it's easily one of the most useful mons on any team. The first thing you notice when you look at Kyurem's base stats is its 130/130/95 offensive stats which are obviously excellent. When you consider the fact that it has access to high powered STABs such as ice beam and draco its damage output is clearly amazing. But to me, what makes this mon too good for the tier is its 125/90/90 defensive stats and reliable recovery. Despite being rocks weak, this mon is consistently able to come in, take a hit, deal a lot of damage and recover up. As an offensive mon with this much power, it shouldn't be allowed to tank many of the best offensive mons in the tier.

The other thing which makes kyurem so threatening is its versatility. Sub Toxic, Sub 2 attacks, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs all have their own niche and each can take on the checks to a different set.

As I said, obviously this tier is still in its alpha stages and it's probably too early to be really thinking about what should be banned, especially as there are so many to consider at this stage. These two mons have just really stuck out to me as silly for the tier, the next big one being politoad.
Crawsaunt is just so dumb for fat teams to deal with. A LO 4 attacks set with ice beam as a coverage move snipes stall's only real answer (chestnaught). While without SD it cannot break Alomomola and Suicune, it still does like 40-50 to both of those Pokemon, forcing them to recover and essentially giving you free switches. This thing needs to go ASAP.

Last edited:
dra.png

Dampa is actually criminally underrated and deserves much more attention. The particular set I have been using that I've liked is defensive calm mind. It is actually pretty bulky and can setup on a shitload of threats like Entei, Crawdaunt (I'll get to how you check this), Aerodactyl, Crobat, Chandelure, Celebi (if not nasty plot), Arcanine, Araquanid and Rotom-Heat (off the top of my head).

The set is max HP and max defence with a bold nature to maximize physical bulk and consequently setup opportunities against the aforementioned attackers. I like to run hyper voice plus flamethrower because the only real Pokemon that wall it include Diance, Chandelure and Rhyperior; those moves provide nearly perfect neutral coverage on their own. Hyper voice is much more spammable than dragon pulse due to the lack of any real immunities, but you can run the latter to setup on Chandelure (which you wall). For the item slot, you can either run no item to better take on Crawdaunt. Alternatively, you can run Normalium Z or Dragonium Z if your team has no z move user. Normalium-Z is particularly helpful to blow back a Togekiss or Florges at +1 who would otherwise take you on, so I prefer it. Roost is needed to help with setting up and serving as a pivot, and finally flamethrower is there to hit steel types. Anyways, here is the set I use, expect replays and a full team soon!
Drampa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice / Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
View attachment 77232

Dampa is actually criminally underrated and deserves much more attention. The particular set I have been using that I've liked is defensive calm mind. It is actually pretty bulky and can setup on a shitload of threats like Entei, Crawdaunt (I'll get to how you check this), Aerodactyl, Crobat, Chandelure, Celebi (if not nasty plot), Arcanine, Araquanid and Rotom-Heat (off the top of my head).

The set is max HP and max defence with a bold nature to maximize physical bulk and consequently setup opportunities against the aforementioned attackers. I like to run hyper voice plus flamethrower because the only real Pokemon that wall it include Diance and Rhyperior; those moves provide nearly perfect neutral coverage on their own. Hyper voice is much more spammable than dragon pulse due to the lack of any real immunities, but you can run the latter to setup on Chandelure (which you wall). For the item slot, you can either run no item to better take on Crawdaunt. Alternatively, you can run Normalium Z or Dragonium Z if your team has no z move user. Normalium-Z is particularly helpful to blow back a Togekiss or Florges at +1 who would otherwise take you on, so I prefer it. Roost is needed to help with setup and finally flamethrower is there to hit steel types mainly. Anyways here is the set I use, expect replays and a full team soon!
Drampa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice / Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Flamethrower
Cool set, seems prety effective in the current meta! One possible modification that could be effective is running CM / Roost / BoltBeam, since most mons don't have the privilege of running that kind of coverage. Drampa's movepool is so absurdly good.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, I was wondering if this set could works :

Tyrantrum @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Head Smash
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake

Z-Hone Claws works like Sword Dance + an accuracy boost. Hehehe, you got it: it guarantees to spam a freaking strong STABed Head Smash with 100% accuracy and no recoil thanks to Rock Head. Also, it benefits to Iron Tail while EQ complete the coverage (Ground/Rock/Steel is a cool one, walled by a few things like Bronzor).

I was thinking about building around it with Web support + a Ghost mon as a spinblocker (Galvantula + Jellicent ?), because it gets easily RK'd due to its low speed.

What is your opinion about it ?

Chainsaw (Vikavolt) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power[Ice]/Energy Ball

This things been surprisingly effective for me so far. Absolutely preys on a lot of fatter threats and, surprisingly enough, provides some minor defensive synergy due to its typing against things like Lucario. Speed EVs are enough to outspeed Alo by one point. I've seen way, way fewer Gligar than I expected so Energy Ball can probably work over over HP ice to blow back shit like Swampert, but you 2HKO that with Buzz anyway so whatever.

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

I don't really see anyone else using this, which to be honest is completely understandable because Crawdaunt exists. However despite being a lot weaker overall plus lacking secondary STAB and thus having a way harder time killing fat waters, I've still had some ok results from this thing. The main draw to this thing is the actually usable speed tier for boosting against offense and Ice Punch, which means gatr can kill some fun things at +1 like Roserade and support Bat, things that while not appreciating daunt's +2 aqua jet can still take it

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 8 Def Roserade: 551-650 (171.6 - 202.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 247-291 (65 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 447-528 (119.8 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolteon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power[Grass]/[Ice]
- Signal Beam/Shadow Ball

This I don't think is actually underrated at all, but it's just really god rn lol. Things are in general really offensive right now and this thing deals with that really well, and defensive teams are heavily dependent on bulky waters so it doesn't falter too much against those. Its a nice Swellow check for offense too which is always really nice. Shadow Ball gets better neutral coverage but Signal Beam blows Celebi back which is more useful a lot of the time. The main issue this thing has right now is in its movepool though, it kinda gets crushed by a different ground type depending on which hidden power it has and really has nothing else in its movepool to hurt them. It also can never really hurt Kyurem, which in my opinion probably the most "broken" thing we have (I honestly think its manageable, but people love to be like 'zomg its a uu mon in ru, its obviously broken!!1!11!'

Also for the love of God please stop using Ice Shard on Donphan

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Chainsaw (Vikavolt) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power[Ice]/Energy Ball

This things been surprisingly effective for me so far. Absolutely preys on a lot of fatter threats and, surprisingly enough, provides some minor defensive synergy due to its typing against things like Lucario. Speed EVs are enough to outspeed Alo by one point. I've seen way, way fewer Gligar than I expected so Energy Ball can probably work over over HP ice to blow back shit like Swampert, but you 2HKO that with Buzz anyway so whatever.

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

I don't really see anyone else using this, which to be honest is completely understandable because Crawdaunt exists. However despite being a lot weaker overall plus lacking secondary STAB and thus having a way harder time killing fat waters, I've still had some ok results from this thing. The main draw to this thing is the actually usable speed tier for boosting against offense and Ice Punch, which means gatr can kill some fun things at +1 like Roserade and support Bat, things that while not appreciating daunt's +2 aqua jet can still take it

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 8 Def Roserade: 551-650 (171.6 - 202.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 247-291 (65 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 447-528 (119.8 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolteon (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power[Grass]/[Ice]
- Signal Beam/Shadow Ball

This I don't think is actually underrated at all, but it's just really god rn lol. Things are in general really offensive right now and this thing deals with that really well, and defensive teams are heavily dependent on bulky waters so it doesn't falter too much against those. Its a nice Swellow check for offense too which is always really nice. Shadow Ball gets better neutral coverage but Signal Beam blows Celebi back which is more useful a lot of the time. The main issue this thing has right now is in its movepool though, it kinda gets crushed by a different ground type depending on which hidden power it has and really has nothing else in its movepool to hurt them. It also can never really hurt Kyurem, which in my opinion probably the most "broken" thing we have (I honestly think its manageable, but people love to be like 'zomg its a uu mon in ru, its obviously broken!!1!11!'

Also for the love of God please stop using Ice Shard on Donphan
I really, really don't like Choice Specs on a Pokemon like Vikavolt personally. The entire point of it is to break through defensive teams, locking yourself into one of your stabs (or even worse, your coverage move) allows for the exact opposite of that by some smart plays on your opponent's part, especially if they have an electric immunity and a bug resist. A good alternative is using LO + Roost (over volt switch potentially). People forget this thing gets Roost lol. It actually has an amazing movepool. I really agree about this thing's defensive potential though, it has an interesting typing where it resists fighting and steel (and is immune to ground!) and that's a really cool thing to have on bulkier teams, its access to roost only strengthens that.

I'm really interested in how Feraligatr will end up being also. It looks absolutely fucking amazing but we also have Crawdaunt and Bruxish and I don't know why I would choose any of them over the other.. on paper I think Crawdaunt is a better nuke with choice band or SD and Gatr is the better set up sweeper with dragon dance, and bruxish is just outclassed by both, but I really don't know for sure.

I think Jolteon's a bit underrated though, I feel like it always had that status of being a Pokemon that's solid on paper but in practice is just oh so very slightly underwhelming, and also for whatever reason I always think it's a noob-friendly Pokemon where only inexperienced players use it and the experienced players think it sucks... that's how I always felt about it last generation anyway, but this gen I feel like it's a lot better because of threats like Crobat, Talonflame, and other things like Alakazam that Jolteon outspeeds and does good damage to. It's just a slappable offensive mon that could be a good cleaner/offensive pivot/revenge killer. Immunity to electric is nice also.

And finally, I think Ice Shard donphan gets hate for absolutely no reason honestly. It's a good filler move because if you're going for the usual spin/eq/knock off set and need a 4th move, it's often reserved for one of SR, Toxic, Roar, or something like Head Smash or whatever. Personally I feel its team-dependent, I had a team that needed none of those filler moves so I put in ice shard and it's a fine move as a last-ditch or to finish off really weak enemies. It's not horrible, it's entirely up to personal preference or the team to decide what final move to use for Donphan imo.

Last edited:
I really, really don't like Choice Specs on a Pokemon like Vikavolt personally. The entire point of it is to break through defensive teams, locking yourself into one of your stabs (or even worse, your coverage move) allows for the exact opposite of that by some smart plays on your opponent's part, especially if they have an electric immunity and a bug resist. A good alternative is using LO + Roost (over volt switch potentially). People forget this thing gets Roost lol. It actually has an amazing movepool. I really agree about this thing's defensive potential though, it has an interesting typing where it resists fighting and steel (and is immune to ground!) and that's a really cool thing to have on bulkier teams, its access to roost only strengthens that.

I'm really interested in how Feraligatr will end up being also. It looks absolutely fucking amazing but we also have Crawdaunt and Bruxish and I don't know why I would choose any of them over the other.. on paper I think Crawdaunt is a better nuke with choice band or SD and Gatr is the better set up sweeper with dragon dance, and bruxish is just outclassed by both, but I really don't know for sure.

I think Jolteon's a bit underrated though, I feel like it always had that status of being a Pokemon that's solid on paper but in practice is just oh so very slightly underwhelming, and also for whatever reason I always think it's a noob-friendly Pokemon where only inexperienced players use it and the experienced players think it sucks... that's how I always felt about it last generation anyway, but this gen I feel like it's a lot better because of threats like Crobat, Talonflame, and other things like Alakazam that Jolteon outspeeds and does good damage to. It's just a slappable offensive mon that could be a good cleaner/offensive pivot/revenge killer. Immunity to electric is nice also.

And finally, I think Ice Shard donphan gets hate for absolutely no reason honestly. It's a good filler move because if you're going for the usual spin/eq/knock off set and need a 4th move, it's often reserved for one of SR, Toxic, Roar, or something like Head Smash or whatever. Personally I feel its team-dependent, I had a team that needed none of those filler moves so I put in ice shard and it's a fine move as a last-ditch or to finish off really weak enemies. It's not horrible, it's entirely up to personal preference or the team to decide what final move to use for Donphan imo.
Really good points on everything, especially on Vikavolt, LO roost may be the way to go honestly. I think phsy def is a think too on bulkier teams but i havent really seen it or used it at all so im not really informed enough to comment. Im still kinda in disagreement on donphan because out of all those moves you listed literally all of them seem way more useful than getting a tiny amount of chip that revenges like... things at 10% and i guess flygons at like half health (i like stone edge personally because i keep seeing itemless acro bats who think they can switch in) but to each their own.

You actually made me really curious about bruxish though, it kinda seems stuck in between daunt and gatr, where one nukes stall and the other can sweep offense and bruxish is sort of in the middle where it can kinda sort of do both but not nearly as well so its not really worth using? Idk if someones had success with it and wants to inform me of how little I know please do lol

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Thanks for your answer, Lord Death Man !

Talking about Jolteon, I wonder if a Z-Celebrate set could be more interresting than the LO one ?

Jolteon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I think it's quite easy for Jolteon to set-up, especially on defensive mons (beware about Suicune w/ Roar).
I'd go Modest first: after all, what could RK a Jolteon with 359 speed at +1 ?

It's even surprisingly bulky at +1 (remember that Jolteo has 65 HP/60 DEF), here some calcs :

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 164-195 (60.2 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 109-130 (40 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 218-257 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Absol-Mega Sucker Punch vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 129-153 (47.4 - 56.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

Thanks for your answer, Lord Death Man !

Talking about Jolteon, I wonder if a Z-Celebrate set could be more interresting than the LO one ?

Jolteon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I think it's quite easy for Jolteon to set-up, especially on defensive mons (beware about Suicune w/ Roar).
I'd go Modest first: after all, what could RK a Jolteon with 359 speed at +1 ?

It's even surprisingly bulky at +1 (remember that Jolteo has 65 HP/60 DEF), here some calcs :

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 164-195 (60.2 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 109-130 (40 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 218-257 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Absol-Mega Sucker Punch vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 129-153 (47.4 - 56.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
This set is not worth your Z-move, Life orb and specs are better in most cases as you need immediate power. You do just as much damage as a specs set and that allows you to use volt switch. When you use your Z-move for a set that only works in say 1 out of 10 games you are wasting a lot of potential on someting very situational.
Also I have no idea what this calc means: +2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 218-257 (80.1 - 94.4%) --
guaranteed 2HKO. do both players just decide to set up in a Crawdaunt vs Jolteon 1v1?

Bottom line is, Jolteon does not need the Speed boost, Attack boost and can only use the defensive boosts in very rare situations.
Special attack boost is the same as specs and that does not require any set up, this is why I strongly recommend not using this set.

Hi people. I'm fairly new to RU and have recently taken an intrest in the teir. I wanted to share my HO I've been using in games against friends and on ladder. I went 28- 3 with it and it got me to 4th (ladder is kinda wack rn so Ik that doesn't really mean anything). It's a fun team that uses one of my favorite mons in Crawdaunt which is stupid good.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Tailwind

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes / Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psych Up / Encore

(Kek) Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aura Sphere / Trick
- Fire Blast

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Basically u wanna get hazards up n if ur lucky a tailwind. Once tailwind is up there are very few mons that can switch into Crawdaunt and if u get an SD up ur opponent is in a bad spot. Fairly easy team to use all u gotta do is play real aggresive and it's kinda weak to Darmanitan but it can be played around. The Metagross evs might seem a bit wierd but I wanted to outspeed Jolly Crawdaunt because crawdaunt can be a lil annoying. Psych up and encore are pretty interchangeable but at the end of the day it comes down to preference. I hope u guys like the team and have fun with it!

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
So, two mons I've had a lot of fun pairing together and are generally pulling their weight:

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

This thing has saved me a few times. Waterium Z makes it essentially a Knock Off shield against stuff like Mienshao, Donphan and Physical Tornadus, while avoiding the ohko from +2 Mega Absol and beating it back with Hydro Vortex. The Z-move is also a safeguard against the likes of Lucario and Flygon, which can setup on Scald and bet on the obvious burn not happening (though you need more previous damage on Flygon). Even better however, is the trick immunity. Slowbro always had some issue, particularly on CM sets, dealing with mons tricking it a scarf/band and thus making it not much more than a pivot for the remainder of the game, while it is built to be a wincon. Waterium-Z thus had some clear advantages in my experience, and while the lack of passive recovery is sometimes awkward, the fact that this is already my switch-in to Mienshao amongst others means Knock Off is extremely likely during the game.

The speed investment is just to outspeed some creep around the base 30 stuff, like opposite Bros, Kings, Reuniclus and Escavalier. The added SpD investment is questionable, but I liked it for two z-moves in particular, Special Lucario and Venomoth.

some calcs:
252 SpA Venomoth Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 68 SpD Slowbro: 330-390 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Lucario All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Slowbro: 345-406 (87.5 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Slowbro Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 229-271 (81.4 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Slowbro Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Absol-Mega: 259-306 (95.5 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Recover

... I know.

If you've been in the RU room, you know I hate Donphan, you know I hate Defog, and Spikes are my favourite thing since mid-Oras. Alpha's removal has, in my mind, so many issues. While Donphan is a decent spinner and will regularly do its job, it struggles in my mind against some common rocker like Swampert, Celebi, Nidoqueen, or spikes Roserade. The vulnerability to spikes - and especially toxic spikes - was also a concern.

Cryogonal's bulk is still nowhere near spectacular, especially on the physical side, but the buff can come in clutch, like living LO Jet from Crawdaunt after rocks, Freeze-Dry is a godsend against Swampert/Slowbro, especially the former as it can't do much back. The special bulk is surprisingly effective, allowing it to switch into Celebi/Nidoqueen/Roserade and 2hkoing back with the investment shown. Also, it laughs at Togekiss. Until this shows T-Wave, in which case you're allowed to rage at life and you will lose to it with everything. Oh, and it levitates! That's huge for a spikes dominant meta, and even moreso in a Klefki dominant meta, as you're not forced to switch into it quickly and eat a toxic, you have a little more breathing room with its spikestack.

It's still walled to hell and back by fire/steel types, and Mienshao is uh oh, but that's why I strongly recommend Knock Off on it. Also, this illustrates why Slowbro is a really good partner for it. Just watch out for Scarf Heracross, Chandelure and Band Escavalier... Also, the EVs in speed creep base 100 with a positive nature, and defensively are useful for LO Zam, as it gives you a good chance of living both Psyshock and Focus Blast. Thanks to EonX on that spread, and thanks to DTC for being like "No bulk, really?".

Calcs!
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 32 HP / 64 Def Cryogonal: 273-321 (88.3 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 144-172 (46.6 - 55.6%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
196 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 204-240 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
With January coming to a close, I thought I would compile a "threat" list of Pokemon I faced; this is not a list of necessarily the most common Pokemon you will face on the ladder or in room tours, but rather the list of the most threatening. There are some common Pokemon (cough lycanroc guzzlord) that are not on this list, because I do not see them as big threats.

The metagame is incredibly offensive, so what you will see on the list are Pokemon that:
- hit hard by themselves (i.e. Alakazam, Entei, Crawdaunt)
- offer defensive utility against common threats (i.e. Alomomola, Bronzong, Chesnaught)
- set up hazards or aurora veil (i.e. Galvantula, Klefki, Ninetales-Alola)
- remove hazards and/or aurora veil (i.e. Crobat, Donphan, Cryogonal)
- set up field effects like weather or trick room (i.e. Politoed, Torkoal, Cresselia)
- can take out multiple Pokemon very easily under field effects (i.e. Victreebel, Kabutops, Crawdaunt again)
- can sweep effectively with little set up (i.e. Haxorus, Kommo-o, Feraligatr)
- are fucking bullshit (i.e. Togekiss, Venomoth, more Crawdaunt)

If you think a Pokemon should be added/removed, let me know! I am sure I missed something or overhyped something else (go Crabominable!)

Hopefully this list will become much shorter soon.
Absol-Mega
Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Alomomola
Araquanid
Arcanine
Bronzong
Celebi
Chandelure
Chesnaught
Cloyster
Crabominable
Crawdaunt
Cresselia
Crobat
Cryogonal
Darmanitan
Diancie
Donphan
Doublade
Dragalge
Durant
Entei
Escavalier
Espeon
Feraligatr
Florges
Flygon
Froslass
Galvantula
Gardevoir
Glalie-Mega
Gligar
Goodra
Hawlucha
Haxorus
Heliolisk
Heracross
Honchkrow
Jolteon
Kabutops
Klefki
Kommo-o
Kyurem
Lucario
Ludicolo
Metagross
Mienshao
Milotic
Moltres
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Ninetales
Ninetales-Alola
Politoed
Porygon2
Reuniclus
Rhyperior
Roserade
Rotom-Heat
Rotom-Mow
Salazzle
Seismitoad
Shaymin
Slowbro
Slowking
Snorlax
Suicune
Swampert
Swellow
Talonflame
Togekiss
Torkoal
Tornadus
Toxicroak
Umbreon
Uxie
Vaporeon
Venomoth
Venusaur
Victreebel

Last edited:
How is Vaporeon better than Alomomola in this meta? It fares better against Rain I guess, but Mola outclasses it otherwise.

Also Doublade could get a mention because it beats quite a lot of shit and is a defensive mon that has at least SOME offensive presence. It was still viable in ORAS UU even with shit like Darmanitan and Entei, and that's the case here too.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I don't really think Vaporeon is better, but Vaporeon can at least roar out the very dangerous set-up sweepers that Alomomola lets set up for free, such as Haxorus, Lucario, Hawlucha, Heracross, Feraligatr, Suicune, etc. where Mola can, at best, Toxic the ones without sub/rest or Knock Off Suicune's leftovers (or fish for a burn). It also has heal bell which is a niche in of itself.

Vaporeon's (much) stronger Scald also 2hkos Absol if it tries to set up in your face, while Absol fails to kill from full. I do think he just accidentally omitted Mola, though, since its listed as a defensive threat in the above despite not being on the threatlist.

I don't think it outclasses so much as Vaporeon fills a mostly empty void between Mola/Suicune/Milotic, for when you need wish + roar/heal bell on your bulky water.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

These are two Pokemon that actually work quite well together, but don't seem to get talked about much. Obviously the new Dragons make Tyrantrum not as strong as it used to be, but it's still an incredibly powerful Choice Band user that can still net multiple kills each game when played properly. It has to predict a little more with the influx of fat Ground and Fairy-types, but it's still stupidly powerful and heavily pressures Steel-types since its the only type that resists the dual STAB combination. And that brings me to Venomoth, the God. Venomoth is absurdly powerful right now and although it dies to much of the priority running around in the tier right now, have fun walling this thing off once CB Tyrantrum has laid its hands (head?) on your Steel-types. Z-moves give Venomoth a HUGE buff in power against specific Pokemon that threaten it defensively. I believed it was talked about a while ago in the thread, so I won't talk much more about it. It would suffice to say that this is why you run Roar Chesnaught (among other reasons)

Venomoth (M) @ Buginium Z / Poisonium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Tyrantrum (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Superpower

You can turn Tyrantrum to Choice Scarf, but it feels kind of slow for a Scarfer in this meta and Venomoth generally works better as a sweeper rather than a wallbreaker. You could opt to run Roost or Sub over Sludge Bomb on Venomoth, but having Poison STAB allows Venomoth to deal with Fairy-types, namely Togekiss.

With January coming to a close, I thought I would compile a "threat" list of Pokemon I faced; this is not a list of necessarily the most common Pokemon you will face on the ladder or in room tours, but rather the list of the most threatening. There are some common Pokemon (cough lycanroc guzzlord) that are not on this list, because I do not see them as big threats.

The metagame is incredibly offensive, so what you will see on the list are Pokemon that:
- hit hard by themselves (i.e. Alakazam, Entei, Crawdaunt)
- offer defensive utility against common threats (i.e. Alomomola, Bronzong, Chesnaught)
- set up hazards or aurora veil (i.e. Galvantula, Klefki, Ninetales-Alola)
- remove hazards and/or aurora veil (i.e. Crobat, Donphan, Cryogonal)
- set up field effects like weather or trick room (i.e. Politoed, Torkoal, Cresselia)
- can take out multiple Pokemon very easily under field effects (i.e. Victreebel, Kabutops, Crawdaunt again)
- can sweep effectively with little set up (i.e. Haxorus, Kommo-o, Feraligatr)
- are fucking bullshit (i.e. Togekiss, Venomoth, more Crawdaunt)

If you think a Pokemon should be added/removed, let me know! I am sure I missed something or overhyped something else (go Crabominable!)

Hopefully this list will become much shorter soon.
Absol-Mega
Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Alomomola
Araquanid
Arcanine
Bronzong
Celebi
Chandelure
Chesnaught
Cloyster
Crabominable
Crawdaunt
Cresselia
Crobat
Cryogonal
Darmanitan
Diancie
Donphan
Doublade
Durant
Entei
Escavalier
Espeon
Feraligatr
Florges
Flygon
Froslass
Galvantula
Gardevoir
Glalie-Mega
Gligar
Goodra
Hawlucha
Haxorus
Heliolisk
Honchkrow
Jolteon
Kabutops
Klefki
Kommo-o
Kyurem
Lucario
Ludicolo
Metagross
Mienshao
Milotic
Moltres
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Ninetales
Ninetales-Alola
Politoed
Porygon2
Reuniclus
Rhyperior
Roserade
Rotom-Heat
Rotom-Mow
Salazzle
Seismitoad
Slowbro
Slowking
Snorlax
Suicune
Swampert
Swellow
Togekiss
Torkoal
Tornadus
Toxicroak
Umbreon
Uxie
Vaporeon
Venomoth
Venusaur
Victreebel
I got to say thats a pretty accurate description you've made of the current meta. and I agree with that threatlist you have made up.
(haven't seen Crabomiable in action yet but i do believe it could be a threat under trick room.)

Even tho the list will probably change (drastically?) in a few days I'd still like to add a few mons that I feel like still deserve a spot on that list.
I wont go in to deep on why. Most of them are either self-explenatory or have been discussed enough already either here or in the RU chat room.

Mon's who definetly deserve a nomination on that list:
Swampert; very easy to lure with a Grass type attack, but still a very reliable Stealth Rocker and a decent switch in to Darmanitan and Sacred Fire
from Entei. Yes, this mon is most likely to rise in a few days, but it wouldnt be fair not mentioning it.
Heracross; yes the Choice Scarf set is overshadowed by Scarf Mienshao but Heracross is a mon that can work with multiple sets and and roles. You
can use it as a wallbreaker with incredible power if you go with Guts, Flame Orb and if necessary SD. Eventough Scarf Heracross is overshadowed it
still has a niche over Mienshao in the form of its ability Moxie.

Sleeper mons (IMO) that arent on the list yet:
Dragalge; A plain simple nuke with the combination of Adabtability and Draco Meteor. It has also acces to the always usefull Toxic-Spikes
Shaymin; overshadowed alot by Celebi at the moment but still has a niche over it in the form of Seed Flare.
"The SpDef drops from Seed Flare could mean that what once was a check ain't a check anymore" - LDM
Yanmega; Eonx has already said enough about Yanmega but Yanmega can either choose to give its attacks an extra bump in power with Tinted Lens or to
go speedy gonzales with Speed Boost causing priority to be extra valuable in a game. Both abilities make Yanmega really usefull for offense
Talonflame; How much this mon has fallen from grace this gen... But after seeing this mon being used by multiple people and having faced it myself I
still believe this mon is a threat to be reckoned with especially how offensively oriented this tier is and the most common flying resist I've seen
are either metagross or klefki. After it loses its Gale Wings it still has enough speed to outspeed a large portion of the meta including Swellow.

do whatever you feel like with them but i do feel like they are threatning enough to be on that list.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Swampert is already on the list and to be honest I just completely forgot about Heracross lol, that mon should have definitely been on there.

I agree with Shaymin, even though it is overshadowed by Celebi it does have some useful traits (mostly Seed Flare and not being weak to Pursuit) and it is a Pokemon that is threatening enough by itself to warrant placement. It is a strong Pokemon, possibly underappreciated in some aspects. Seed Flare's accuracy has never been kind to me when I use it though. Talonflame is a mon I considered and used a decent bit. I think it is very strong but I withheld it from the list because you really don't see that many of them. With that being said, the Supersonic Skystrike and Natural Gift Swords Dance sets are both strong right now. I added both of them to the list.

I am waiting to hear more about Yanmega and Dragalge. Yanmega is from a lack of experience; I have seen almost none and want more feedback on it before I post anything. Dragalge is a Pokemon that I think is just out of favor right now. I have used it and I tend to find it tough to bring in at times. If anyone else wants to weigh in on these mons I would appreciate it.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Dragalge is pretty good. If you want to differentiate it from other Dragons, you use Toxic Spikes and make sure you capitalize off the advantages you get with its unique typing, as in being a Dragon that isn't scared of fairys and can check Fighting-types (kinda). Toxic Spikes are also fairly nice right now, which people can still find the time to be weak to despite the presence of the Nidos..

It hits pretty hard even with no special attack investment thanks to Adaptability and can check quite a few things like Chandelure, Suicune (if using Haze), Roserade, special rain and sun sweepers, electrics, and doesn't fold to Fairys and can check Fighting-types like Herracross and Mienshao somewhat decently, etc. It's basically like Mega Steelix in ORAS where it could switch in on a ton of different Pokemon and nuke something with its STABs or take that time to get hazards up. I'd say it's more than viable and is a fairly good Pokemon overall.

On an unrelated note, given the amount of Pokemon UU has banned over the past month, we can expect RU Alpha Month 2 to experience quite a few changes, so look forward to that until we go into Beta in March. It's also nice to see everyone positively contributing to this thread, and I hope to see everyone in Beta while we wait out the storm for just a little bit longer.

Hello! So recently I have taken some interest in RU and a particular mon that I've enjoyed using so far is Snorlax. CurseLax is just absolutely amazing atm, especially once all the fighting and steel types (and Chandelure, have yet to really notice any other relevant ghosts) have been eliminated. It's amazing just how much abuse it can take on the special side of things as well.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Body Slam/Return
-Sleep Talk/Earthquake

It's honestly so easy to switch into something super passive with this thing and just start hitting things with Body Slam to wear down switch-ins. Now I listed Return and Earthquake as alternative options on this set. Imo Return works well if you have paralysis support as then you don't really the paralysis chance (although it could still help against things). Earthquake also works over Sleep Talk if you have a Heal Beller on your team as it stops it from being completely vulnerable to Chandelure and most Steel types. Another set that I did want to bring as well is Band.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
(EV spread stolen shamefully from EonX's offensive tank set.)

Anyways, Band Snorlax gives bulky offense a very powerful wallbreaker that can punch holes as well as sponge special hits. Return + Earthquake hit most things hard, Fire Punch is mainly there for Bronzong and Pursuit checkmates most Psychics as well as Chandelure. An alternative option on this set somewhere is Facade, allowing it to not be crippled completely by status. Would provide calcs but mobile sucks, so I'll post them later. I'm truly surprised that not a lot of people have actually talked about this set yet.

Pairing Snorlax with Spikes is amazing as well. Anyways that's all I really wanted to talk about.

Also ik there's no telling but if Mienshao does leave as a few people have said then it won't be a huge buff but Snorlax will be better. :)

E: Lol completely overlooked Doublade and Sableye, Sableye is pretty problematic for Snorlax in general.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Dragalge (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Scald

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 216 Def / 188 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play
- Moonlight

This is a pretty fun defensive core that covers a lot of common Pokemon in the meta right now. You might want to invest in a slightly sturdier Fighting resist for some obvious reasons, but these three complement each other quite well. As a couple of people have mentioned, Toxic Spikes Dragalge is quite good right now and it's quite good at spreading status between Toxic Spikes and Scald. Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave still hit pretty hard with STAB and Adaptability boosts. Sludge Wave is still used so Chesnaught can't attempt to set up Spikes.
Next up is Alomomola, which is a Pokemon that should speak for itself honestly. Although plenty of things have changed so far in RU Alpha, one thing has stayed the same; Alomomola is still the best Wish passer in the tier thanks to its typing, stats, and Regenerator. Scald and Knock Off allow Alo to annoy most switch ins and Knock Off in particular is useful to allow Toxic Spikes to wear down opponents quicker. The EVs focus on Alomomola's physical bulk by hitting a Leftovers number and jump point with the rest going into Special Defense to still take resisted hits reasonably well.
Lastly is Umbreon. Umbreon is a fun Pokemon on defensive teams as its one of the few reliable answers to the Nidos on such teams. Its ability to check Celebi is also much appreciated as its the only common-Grass-type that Dragalge can't safely check. Heal Bell is mandatory for any team focusing on a defensive core and Umbreon is very reliable as a cleric. Wish and Foul Play are other obvious moves for Umbreon and Wish forms a double Wish-passing core with Alomomola. The last move is a little strange, but considering Alomomola is great at scouting and Wish passing as it is, I decided to put Moonlight to allow Umbreon to focus more on healing itself immediately since Alomomola can pivot into many choiced attackers that might try to take advantage of Umbreon. The EVs just outspeed stuff creeping around Alomomola and maximize special bulk on Umbreon.

Some of you have been asking how to use Golisopod, with good stats and priority he does seem nice. His ability can be great and at times less helpful, this is why Golisopod is really hard to use and has a huge skill curve meaning it takes some time to get good with him. I quickly build a team around Golisopod and to my surprise it actually put in great work. Id recommend using a Sitrus Berry or a Life Orb on this Pokemon.
Dropping the team here if you guys want to try him out on ladder or vs friends.

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 200 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Beam

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Celebi @ Grassium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Toxic

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Now that I think about it - one mon that I haven't seen talked about is Emboar. On the surface, this thing seems very good at abusing Z-moves in many ways, anything from general wallbreaking (what it was known for last gen) - to punishing it's would be bad MUs on the switch. Here are a bunch of set's I've just theory crafted:

Emboar_XY.gif

Emboar @ Firium Z
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

Emboar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Fire Punch
- Bulk Up
- Substitute

Emboar @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge

Emboar @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpA
Brave Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hammer Arm
- Scald
- Sucker Punch

Emboar @ Electrium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Grass Knot
- Earthquake

Tbh I doubt that's even scratching the surface. You can probably run a Z-crystal over a common choice item, and bluff that way (or something). I expect only the greatest from our favorite chubby pork belly!

Now that I think about it - one mon that I haven't seen talked about is Emboar. On the surface, this thing seems very good at abusing Z-moves in many ways, anything from general wallbreaking (what it was known for last gen) - to punishing it's would be bad MUs on the switch. Here are a bunch of set's I've just theory crafted:

View attachment 77613

Emboar @ Firium Z
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

Emboar @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Fire Punch
- Bulk Up
- Substitute

Emboar @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge

Emboar @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpA
Brave Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hammer Arm
- Scald
- Sucker Punch

Emboar @ Electrium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Grass Knot
- Earthquake

Tbh I doubt that's even scratching the surface. You can probably run a Z-crystal over a common choice item, and bluff that way (or something). I expect only the greatest from our favorite chubby pork belly!
Doesn't Z-Head Smash have less power than normal Head Smash because of Reckless? Or does it factor in the Reckless boost?

Also lol Grassium Z could be a thing- checks bulky grounds excluding the Nidos as well as all the waters, and Wild Charge can't do the first thing. Also, its kind of outclassed as a real offensive fighting type atm by things like Mienshao and Lucario, but it definitely does have some merit because of its bulk.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Doesn't Z-Head Smash have less power than normal Head Smash because of Reckless? Or does it factor in the Reckless boost?

Also lol Grassium Z could be a thing- checks bulky grounds excluding the Nidos as well as all the waters, and Wild Charge can't do the first thing. Also, its kind of outclassed as a real offensive fighting type atm by things like Mienshao and Lucario, but it definitely does have some merit because of its bulk.
Reckless is a 1.2x Bonus (so 180BP), whereas Z-Head Smash (Continental Crush) is 200BP because of how powerful HS is to begin with. Also, think of the Electrium Z set vs RegiMola... oh boy...

Finally, what if Luke/Mienshao get booted to UU again? Lucario seems a little too powerful for the tier IMO atm, and there must of been a reason Shao' ended up in UU last gen and never dropped...

hm...

EDIT: the debut of Fightium Z Emboar ft. AV Komala and Mega Glaile!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rualpha-528686589

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)