SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felixx

I'm back.
I know, but Own Tempo is better than Oblivious. Still sucks and I wish it had its hidden ability, but it is what it is. If I decide to go Slowbro (shouldn't Hyper Training fix the IV issue?) it won't even matter because Mega Slowbro always has Shell Armor
Regen is actually what makes slowbro so good since it pivots into stuff without wasting turns recovering, you only mega evolve when you absolutely need the physical bulk or you're going for a CM sweep, honestly just breed another slowbro and keep the shiny one as a novelty mon that just looks good

Why does the UU analysis for Raikou make no mention of Inner Focus? Not only is it not discussed on its sets but it's not even listed as a possible ability. Wouldn't it be superior to Pressure?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does the UU analysis for Raikou make no mention of Inner Focus? Not only is it not discussed on its sets but it's not even listed as a possible ability. Wouldn't it be superior to Pressure?
Making your opponent waste more PP is far more useful than (not) getting flinched by _______ (ambipom?).

But more realistically, you can't use Inner Focus without not using stuff like Aura Sphere, which just isn't worth it. Pressure is alway superior.

I need something that checks Hydreigon/Manetric while not being a mega and also being super threatening to offense teams (fast and strong). Does such a mon exist ?_?

edit: Scarf Terrak I guess. Would rather not use a choice item mon but it'll do.

Last edited:

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
Nihilego ?

vs Scarf Hydrei:
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 102-120 (28.4 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 163-193 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

vs Specs Hydrei:

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 246-289 (68.5 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 151-178 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

vs Manec:

252 SpA Manectric-Mega Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 120-142 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Better than Terrak Scarf to check Hydrei and Manec and he's not slow at all

Just want to say that there is a LOT of mons that perform just as well as or better than they do in their actual tier:
Jellicent, which sits at a mediocre C+ in NU, is B- in UU
Rhyperior, a mon from RU, shares a decent rank of B+ between the aforementioned tier and UU
Rotom-C and Rotom-H, both from RU, have rankings of B+ and B- respectively in both RU and UU, while Rotom-H’s rank in UU can
potentially rise in the next update
Decidueye, which sits at C in RU and is debated to have an even lower rank, is B- in UU.
Another mediocre grass type from RU is Tsareena, which is ranked C+ in RU yet is ranked at a solid B in UU.
Moltres is an honorable mention, which is ranked at an already good A- in RU but B+ in UU, which is just one rank shy of its performance in RU. Same goes for Doublade, which is ranked B+ in RU but B in UU.
The majority of these mons unfortunately receive little usage in UU. Why is there (ironically) so many under used mons in UnderUsed?

Last edited:
Just want to say that there is a LOT of mons that perform just as well as or better than they do in their actual tier:
Jellicent, which sits at a mediocre C+ in NU, is B- in UU
Rhyperior, a mon from RU, shares a decent rank of B+ between the aforementioned tier and UU
Rotom-C and Rotom-H, both from RU, have rankings of B+ and B- respectively in both RU and UU, while Rotom-H’s rank in UU can
potentially rise in the next update
Decidueye, which sits at C in RU and is debated to have an even lower rank, is B- in UU.
Another mediocre grass type from RU is Tsareena, which is ranked C+ in RU yet is ranked at a solid B in UU.
Moltres is an honorable mention, which is ranked at an already good A- in RU but B+ in UU, which is just one rank shy of its performance in RU.
The majority of these mons unfortunately receive little usage in UU. Why is there (ironically) so many under used mons in UnderUsed?

Because the metagames are different. UU and RU have different mons on top. And that means that stuff can become better in certain metagames.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Metagame dynamics are really hard to explain. Is like trying to observe how an animal tries to adapt to certain environment. Sometimes it can thrive on said environment or it cant due to potentisl threats to its life. Thats exactly how it is for many pokemon in lower tiers. While some pokemon in RU are super dominant in here it doesnt have to be case cause the tier can be more naturally prepared to deal with it, so they cant thrive as easily. Plenty of stuff from lower tiers work in here, but to a lesser degree for reasons mentioned before.

Rhyperior and Doublade are similar in rankings cause they shine as pokemon that act like a Glue for teams. Like a lando-t, offering nice defensive and offensive capabilities to face a multitude of threats.

But why are so many mons not used in UU as much as they are in their home tier if they have equal or greater viability in UU than they do in their home tiers?

But why are so many mons not used in UU as much as they are in their home tier if they have equal or greater viability in UU than they do in their home tiers?
I think I was able to decipher this, so I'll take a stab at it. I'll use Decidueye as an example, because there's a tie-in to the current suspect test.

Right now Decidueye is one of the better checks to Breloom the UU metagame has access to right now, which is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for its viability in UnderUsed. Its decent special bulk and access to Roost give it a few opportunities to come in on other notable threats in the current metagame (like Mega Manectric, Mega Slowbro, kinda sorta Latias, etc), heal up, and either threaten to trap them or pick them off with Sucker Punch. It's not absurdly useless, but it's not fantastic either. I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the RU metagame, but there appears to be an increased presence of Fire- and Normal-types in the S through B+ rankings. Having Mandibuzz and Shaymin as two of the best Pokemon in the metagame probably doesn't help Decidueye's case either: it can still perform the same roles as it does in UU, but it won't do so as well because of the increased population of Pokemon Decidueye doesn't beat. There isn't exactly a one-to-one correlation between viability and usage: metagame trends and dynamics, something MrAldo touched on, provide Decidueye with a slightly more favourable metagame environment in UU than what it has in RU. Because Decidueye accomplishes a niche (checking Breloom better than most things) in UU, it's warranted a rank. The significance of that niche determines the rank.

Instead of focusing strictly on the letter grade of a Pokemon's viability, consider the collective of Pokemon in that tier. The VR isn't necessarily an "x is better than y" list, but a more relative ranking of how things perform in their metagame. The ranks are determined by offensive/defensive presence, what role they play in the metagame, and how much support is required for that Pokemon to fulfill its role. The RUVR does its community a disservice (imo) by not including some expanded form of a definition for what the Viability Rankings are. I've provided you the one from one of the original VR threads, as I still find these guidelines to be the gold standard for how rankings are established.

From FlareBlitz's original Viability Rankings guidelines said:
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are typically inferior to the Pokemon in the above ranks.
Keep in mind that the +/=/- rankings within a letter subset are just relative to those letter-ranked Pokemon. B+ and B- ranked Pokemon are still B Rank Pokemon, one's just slightly more viable than the other.

Actually no. Garchomp can run coverage moves such as Stone Edge that can ohko t o o g e e k i s s
Togekiss is still a good check nonetheless, offensive SR set gets walled by it and the scarf set has to predict correctly to hit it with SE. However, Garchomp isn't UU at the time being so, yeah.

Last edited:
Aye im not sure where to ask this, but does anyone have any consistent teams for the current meta? I couldnt find sample teams, and idk how relevant the bazaar teams are when accounting for recent tier changes and suspects.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Aye im not sure where to ask this, but does anyone have any consistent teams for the current meta? I couldnt find sample teams, and idk how relevant the bazaar teams are when accounting for recent tier changes and suspects.
I would wait for a few more days before looking for consistent teams for the "current" meta because tier shifts have been delayed due to issues with the usage stats, and should happen soon. If all goes as predicted, UU will lose Gliscor and receive Mega Diancie, Amoonguss and Mamoswine. This would make most recent teams outdated.

can we please quickban mega venu and mega diancie ok thanks
When the faulty tier changes happened and people used Mega Diancie in UU, they said that after testing it out for a bit, they realized that it's not super broken because the best Pokémon in the tier Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch and it has a bit of 4MSS

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
When the faulty tier changes happened and people used Mega Diancie in UU, they said that after testing it out for a bit, they realized that it's not super broken because the best Pokémon in the tier Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch and it has a bit of 4MSS
How long was that test, 1, 2, maybe 3 days at most? It's not good enough, not even close.

just quickban the new megas, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)