SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Crobat, specifically with Taunt (which all Crobat should run) is the best counter currently in the tier. Obviously Sleep Powder is annoying but it’s pretty rare and outside of that, I’m yet to see a Venusaur set properly threaten a Taunt Crobat.

The set I would suggest running is Brave Bird / Taunt / Roost / U-Turn or Super Fang, with max Attack and Speed and a Jolly nature. The best item for this is Flyinium Z, but if you have another Z user then Sky Plate or Black Sludge can work. I suppose if you are really looking for the perfect counter then you could run Safety Goggles, but this is useless when you’re not playing Amoonguss or Sleep Powder Venu.

Sorry, but which is the most common curse mega-venusaur set.
Curse is not really common. SD is probably more popular, but even then its outclassed by other wall breakers in the tier. But if u really want to run curse, here is a set.
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful/Sassy Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Power Whip/ Giga Drain/ knock off
- Synthesis
Sassy is if u want to use giga and Careful is if u want power whip or knock off.

Is Scizor good on stall teams? If no, what would be a good defogger and slow U-turn user? Do I even need a slow U-turn user? If Scizor is good, what set should I use? Is this set good?
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog

Is Scizor good on stall teams? If no, what would be a good defogger and slow U-turn user? Do I even need a slow U-turn user? If Scizor is good, what set should I use? Is this set good?
Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
That Scizor set could be run on stall teams I guess. Slow u-turn isnt really necessary on stall as momentum is not at all required on stall. For stall the defoggers are usually togekiss (Heal bell support also), M Altaria, crobat, or even Rotom-H. However Scizor could be a viable option on stall with the right support.
Edit: Forgot to mention Moltres is also an option but cant be the only defogger cause of its 4 times weakness

Last edited:
That Scizor set could be run on stall teams I guess it. Slow u-turn isnt really necessary on stall as momentum is not at all required on stall. For stall the defoggers are usually togekiss (Heal bell support also), M Altaria, crobat, or even Rotom-H. However Scizor could be a viable option on stall with the right support.
How do I know if which of those defoggers is the best for my team?

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
Since pivoting ain't necessary on stall replace U-turn with like X-Scissor

Why's Entei ranked above Arcanine in viability currently? (I figured it was more of a simple question, so I didn't ask it in the viability thread)

Entei has more HP, and a bit more stats in a few other areas, and a better STAB to abuse in Sacred Fire. They both have Extreme Speed (albeit Entei's hits a bit harder), but Arcanine is a clear winner in terms of movepool and abilities - yet it's ranked a full viability tier lower, and I don't quite get why. I didn't get a real answer from the UU room when I asked there, so I figured I'd ask here.

Why's Entei ranked above Arcanine in viability currently? (I figured it was more of a simple question, so I didn't ask it in the viability thread)

Entei has more HP, and a bit more stats in a few other areas, and a better STAB to abuse in Sacred Fire. They both have Extreme Speed (albeit Entei's hits a bit harder), but Arcanine is a clear winner in terms of movepool and abilities - yet it's ranked a full viability tier lower, and I don't quite get why. I didn't get a real answer from the UU room when I asked there, so I figured I'd ask here.
Arcanine and entei are both not good defensively. Rotom-H is a much better defensive fire type. It has acess to defog as well as ground immunity. Then entei has access to sacred fire which has a 50% chance to burn. That puts its miles ahead of Arcanine. Also Infernape can do the same thing offensively as Arcanine, but just way better. While Entei has a niche due to sacred fire that can make it so it is justified to run over infernape sometimes. Infernape is still prefered over both of them, but Entei is definitely a better option than arcanine offensively

Viability isn't an exact measure of how good something is, but rather how effective it can perform its role(s) in the current metagame.

Arcanine finds itself pretty much in the basement of UU's viability because everything it can accomplish is done better by something else. As an offensive, physical Fire-type, Entei's access to Sacred Fire makes it a superior option (great burn chance, spammable, no recoil on an already SR-weak Pokemon). Talonflame and Darmanitan also have aspects going for them that Arcanine doesn't (Gale Wings+Flying-type STAB or better movepool+higher attack stat respectively). Defensively, Rotom-H and Moltres are generally superior options due to their dual typing and access to Defog. Being able to combine those niches is what sets their defensive sets apart from Arcanine.

Personally, I've come to know Arcanine as a gimmick and it's typically only found on low ladder. Of course, with enough support it would be funcitonal, but you're much, much better off using something else listed above.

Hope this helps.

I noticed Mega Glalie is on the viability rankings. What advantages does it have over Mamoswine or Kyurem does it have to warrant being on the tier list (albeit really low on it)?

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I noticed Mega Glalie is on the viability rankings. What advantages does it have over Mamoswine or Kyurem does it have to warrant being on the tier list (albeit really low on it)?
The main advantage it has over Mamoswine and Kyurem, who both have better typing, is its ability to be an Offensive Spiker. Glalie can force switches as Ice type is generally a fantastic offensive typing and spike on those switches. It has access to a variety of coverage moves to help support that purpose, such as Freeze-Dry, HP Fire, Earthquake, and Refridgerate-boosted Explosion, all of which pressure the opponent and makes it hard for them to remove hazards. It also has access to Taunt, preventing Defoggers like Empoleon from getting rid of spikes. It also has a better speed tier than the other two, but is ranked pretty low as it takes up the valuable Mega slot, and generally finds itself having trouble deciding which 4 moves to use, as well as pure Ice typing being atrocious defensively.

Hey, I've recently gotten back into battling for the first time since Gen 4. I've been playing Gen 7 UU because it reminds me of Gen 4 OU a lot and I'm more familiar with what threats there are etc.

I have a team I've been tweaking, and I've got a middle of the road record with it (39-30), including tweaks along the way. I'm looking to get some help with it, where should I post to ask that. I can do an RMT but I don't know if thats the best place or if there is somewhere else thats more appropriate to get some tips on improving the team.

Hey, I've recently gotten back into battling for the first time since Gen 4. I've been playing Gen 7 UU because it reminds me of Gen 4 OU a lot and I'm more familiar with what threats there are etc.

I have a team I've been tweaking, and I've got a middle of the road record with it (39-30), including tweaks along the way. I'm looking to get some help with it, where should I post to ask that. I can do an RMT but I don't know if thats the best place or if there is somewhere else thats more appropriate to get some tips on improving the team.
Go to the UU room on showdown or RMT. they’re your best places for general tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)