Metagame SM ZU NP Stage 1.0: It’s Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, first post here! Also keep up with the good job ZU people, this tier is becoming popular much faster than expected and is becoming super interesting with all these drops in komala, swanna, abomasnow, shiftry etc etc.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about ZU yet to say if I'm pro or against a shiftry suspect. However I would like to share some thoughts about tiering, that might be regarded as odd by certain people.

To start with I'm very, very often pro-suspects and pro-bans. However, I learned after spending 1 year in PU that lower tiers change really quickly, because of tiershifts that mess it up all (not this time tho, the only relevant loss is tangela, which already faced competition from gourgy, especially because gourgy can defeat bulky komala's and tank flamethrower from evire much more easily than tangela). On one hand, I would like to say: don't be so eager to suspect mons, there are many meta adaptations to come from the ZU playerbase's creativity, and this meta is all but old and clearly understood. On the other hand, I would like to say: was the time spent in ZU with stoutland, rotom-frost, liepard, lycanrock worth it? They all rose by usage (iirc), not by suspects+bans. I'm used to Pu where many broken/unhealthy mons tend to stick around for longer than they should, although it is understandable given that everytime something is banned, something else replaces it. I absolutely respect the decisions taken by the ZU council (not resuspecting throh for example), but I don't know how to feel about the Rotom-F suspect in particular, and about the arguments brought during the suspect: seriously, how is "grumpig+torterra force rotom to play 5050s?" an argument? Nobody sends a torterra vs an icetype unless they really don't need the turtle that much. That weren't 5050s at all.

That's why I think Xayah is right when they say that pokémons shouldn't be looked at in a vaccuum. That works in OU, where the available defensive mons allow people to say "ok X is walled/hard checked by Y and Z, so X is fine". In lower tiers, ZU included, offense are dominant playstyles (regular offense and bulkyoffense mainly), so many mons turn out not being broken because they are too slow/dont find enough switchin opportunities/can't do their job perfectly because of opposing offensive pressure; that's why I agree once again with Xayah about shiftry, and agree even more about using rapidash more, since it's a really nice offensive check, able to switch into shiftry.

Still, I feel like some pro-suspect shiftry points are being slightly overlooked, both in pro- and anti- suspect posts:

-shiftry's wallbreaking capabilities. It's not because shiftry runs SD that it is supposed to be a sweeper. It's a mixed wallbreaker, and SD is an added (and amazing bonus) that isnt necessary at all for it to be good. That's why all the chat about SD shiftry sweeps, while not irrelevant at all, may go the wrong way. If shiftry was a dedicated physical sweeper, it would be using seedbomb and not leafstorm. (I only talked about mixed shiftry here, not Z-hurricane, nastyplot etc).

-Knock off's utility. I strongly believe knock off is one of the best and most busted moves in the game along with stealth rock and spikes, due to being the strongest physical darktype attack+removing items+being learned by a shitload of pokémons. So yes, as pointed out in pro-suspect posts (sorry, all the posts are long and I can't remember who said what since all posts were of good quality and fairly detailed), knock off is a huge factor imo to take into account; even if shiftry doesn't sweep, even if it doesn't wallbreak (unlikely tho), it will always remove items. The biggest problem is that these items tend to be.... eviolites (togetic, busken, monferno, machoke to name a few). And unlike tangela which remains an excellent wall and pivot WITHOUT its eviolite, most ZU nfe mons are.. not so great without their evio. They will still stop shiftry, but are gonna suffer a lot more for the rest of the game. All knock absorbers cannot take repeated hits, and can just be destroyed by a LO leafstorm (mawile with its negative spdef, silvally-fight/dark/water don't enjoy leafstorm+stealth rocks at all, etc).

-Suckerpunch. On paper, sucker is easy to play around, especially because shiftry is slow and doesn't want to die. So, in theory, it will be clicking sucker vs faster threats. But how it that bad for shiftry? It just racks up more SR damage on switching mons, and since it is mainly a wallbreaker, it contributes to whittling the foes down to support a teammate's lategame sweep.
edit; In particular, pokémons like rapidash, swanna, pinsir don't like switching in on rocks just to check a shiftry that might as well switchout into a safe mon. Morning sun/roost plays are not ideal either and are just passive (and somewhat risky) plays which show how dangerous shiftry is.

If you take into account that 1) shiftry can remove items while denting opposing mons 2) these items tend to be eviolites or items that aren't supposed to be knocked 3) that the top offensive mons, such as komala, evire, swanna have a bad defense stat, making them prone to suckerpunch 4) that shiftry can run a myriad of set variations (grassiumZ/darkiniumZ mixed SD; nastyplot; Z-hurricane; sub+3 atks; subSD; specs; whatever) , I think it starts to look like a serious candidate for a suspect test, especially since tangela left. If you look at other toptiers...komala is slow, has a bad defense stat and can be checked with golem/gourgeist; electivire is quite predictable, and checked by many mons, including the two former ones; swanna is a tough one too, but still weak to rocks, frail, RKed by any scarfer/anything faster, and well, can be walled if you want to (muk, licky, pyuku, togetic for example), or checked by AV/spdef komala, scarf vire... The best high-ranked checks to shiftry I can think of are silvally-fight, combusken, rapidash, pinsir, which are all relatively frail/easily worn down, and can all just straight-up lose to a surprise Z-move.

Since the meta is likely to change in the coming weeks/months, and that shiftry is frail and has to be examined via playing/replay-watching since it is checked offensively usually (hard to imagine an entire game with shiftry in you head unless you watched the game), I will not make up my mind, especially when I remember Aurorus in 2018 PU (almost broken, turns out it is fine) or Dodrio/Jellicent dropping in PU (seemed tough mons, but they were too pressured offensively), still the incredible diversity of shiftry sets, its access to speed control (suckerpunch), knock off, and all the tools/items it needs to do whatever it wants without finding reliable counterplay in opposing teams, will probably make me lean towards pro-suspect in the future.

Sorry for this goddamn long post, thanks for reading, should it be only one paragraph!

Last edited:
Wailord is possibly unused potential in zu, for it's incredible bulk and ability to ignore taunt with oblivious, this mon is serverly underrated in usuage and deserves a smogon set
this is my set i have created
Wailord @ Leftovers/Rocky helmet
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Scald
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
and the specially defensive variant
Wailord @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
im pretty sure there is other way to modify this set, but it brings homage to the gen 3 days ruled by bulky waters

Being one of the highest base attack stat pokemon in ZU, banette is met with relatively low usage, so I devised a set to combat this issue and bring this puppet into the spotlight
one of banette's most glaring weaknesses is it's speed, so I tackled this problem head on and devised a scarf set to eliminate this problem, making it faster than a maxed ev jolly floatzel
along with it's high attack stat, banette's ghost typing allows it too phase rapid spin from forretress and jump kick from sawsbuck
Banette @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk/Insomnia/Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adament Nature
- Phantom Force/Shadow Claw
- Gunk Shot/Shadow Sneak
- Trick/Knock Off
- Pursuit/Knock off/Sucker Punch
I made sure if you were too trick a entry hazard lead, you had a form of proirity to sustain, but other than that
phantom force allows for a very powerful stab, but shadow claw takes away the 2 turn requirement in place of 20 points less damage
gunk shot is a powerful poison type move for fairy types that resist your stabs, but can be replaced for stab shadow sneak
trick is almost necessary for times you can cripple a status mon, but can be put in place for knock off that can remove life orbs and choice items to cripple a mon's stats
pursuit is good for trapping a psychic type attempting to switch out against the powerful Banette
anyway that is my thoughts on banette

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there, seems like you're new to Smogon and I appreciate you getting into the tier. You should check the rules of this forum as well as Smogon's Global Forum Rules since double posting is not usually allowed and your content can be improved.

Wailord is possibly unused potential in zu, for it's incredible bulk and ability to ignore taunt with oblivious, this mon is serverly underrated in usuage and deserves a smogon set
this is my set i have created
Wailord @ Leftovers/Rocky helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
and the specially defensive variant
Wailord @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
im pretty sure there is other way to modify this set, but it brings homage to the gen 3 days ruled by bulky waters
I encourage you to check out the ZU Viability Rankings because Wailord is unranked and although bulky Waters such as Pyukumuku and Mareanie are susceptible to Taunt, they provide much better utility and cover more threats. In addition, your post fails to articulate why someone would use Wailord over Lickilicky, who also has incredible bulk and Oblivious to block Taunt. It also does not mention that the only relevant Taunt user that this set beats is Bulk Up Taunt Floatzel, which is arguably one of its worse sets (side note: Taunt NP Simisear w/ Grass Knot, Mold Breaker SD Taunt Fraxure, and Taunt Servine beat Wailord regardless). Stop by the ZU Discord or PS! room if you have any questions or just want to learn the ropes of the tier.

Being one of the highest base attack stat pokemon in ZU, banette is met with relatively low usage, so I devised a set to combat this issue and bring this puppet into the spotlight
one of banette's most glaring weaknesses is it's speed, so I tackled this problem head on and devised a scarf set to eliminate this problem, making it faster than a maxed ev jolly floatzel
along with it's high attack stat, banette's ghost typing allows it too phase rapid spin from forretress and jump kick from sawsbuck
Banette @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk/Insomnia/Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adament Nature
- Phantom Force/Shadow Claw
- Gunk Shot/Shadow Sneak
- Trick/Knock Off
- Pursuit/Knock off/Sucker Punch
I made sure if you were too trick a entry hazard lead, you had a form of proirity to sustain, but other than that
phantom force allows for a very powerful stab, but shadow claw takes away the 2 turn requirement in place of 20 points less damage
gunk shot is a powerful poison type move for fairy types that resist your stabs, but can be replaced for stab shadow sneak
trick is almost necessary for times you can cripple a status mon, but can be put in place for knock off that can remove life orbs and choice items to cripple a mon's stats
pursuit is good for trapping a psychic type attempting to switch out against the powerful Banette
anyway that is my thoughts on banette
Banette is also unranked because it really fails to do anything noteworthy or effective in the current metagame. Aside from the low Speed. Banette is easy to check offensively and switch into which makes it a bad pick in this metagame. Moreover, "Spinblocker" isn't a relevant role for teams because of the popularity of Defog and the fact that Komala/Sandslash/Avalugg naturally pack a way to cripple Ghosts (i.e Toxic or Knock Off). Lastly, back when Banette was ranked at D or somewhere in the Cs it ran Life Orb in order to break better, make use of its coverage, and be able to fire off priority attacks against faster threats like Mr. Mime. While a Choice Scarf lets it pop unsuspecting Pokemon, it really restricts Banette's ability to break and makes it easier to play around.

If you have any questions feel free to use the SQSA thread.

Even though it is out classed in every single way by raichu, Dedenne has a fun little niche in ZU, but thats about it, Starf berry cheek pouch raise a random stat by 2 stages, this repeated can turn into a sweep, note on the word can
this stratagy can be phased really easily with roar, killed by moves that bypass substitute, and murdered by multi-hit moves, adding insult to injury, it's speed teir is mediocre at best outspeeding the 100 mark, but thats about it, so use at your own risk
Dedenne @ Starf Berry/Petaya Berry
Ability: Cheek Pouch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recycle
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Even though it is out classed in every single way by raichu, Dedenne has a fun little niche in ZU, but thats about it, Starf berry cheek pouch raise a random stat by 2 stages, this repeated can turn into a sweep, note on the word can
this stratagy can be phased really easily with roar, killed by moves that bypass substitute, and murdered by multi-hit moves, adding insult to injury, it's speed teir is mediocre at best outspeeding the 100 mark, but thats about it, so use at your own risk
Dedenne @ Starf Berry/Petaya Berry
Ability: Cheek Pouch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recycle
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Dedenne, while not directly outclassed by anything due to unique traits such as Cheek Pouch and its secondary Fairy typing, faces immense competition from other Electric-types. Believe it or not, a lot of our Electric-types such as Electivire and and Silvally-Electric learn and commonly run Ice coverage moves such as Ice Punch and Ice Beam. Even ones that don't such as Raichu still outclass Dedenne due to the reliability of Nasty Plot over Recycling berries. Furthermore, Dedenne's unique traits such as Cheek Pouch is never justifiable for the noticable drop in power and severe lack of bulk compared to our other Electric-types. Lastly, these kinds of posts don't initiate any sort of competitive metagame discussion and rather just randomly posts a set in hopes that it'll stick. As 5gen mentioned before, this thread is not the appropriate place to make this kind of post. If you would like to make a formal nomination on our ZU Viability Rankings, check out this thread. We'd recommend you do extensive testing with Dedenne, provide adequate replays proving its usefulness, and other additional evidence to support any nominations you may have. Welcome to ZU!

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon

Due to recent metagame trends such as how we EV our Silvally types, the popularity of Muk + Shiinotic teams, and a handful of other reasons I'm going to withdraw my original statement on being Pro Suspect for Shiftry. On paper, Shiftry is an overwhelming monster that should check the entire meta but in practice, it doesn't always perform as well.

I would instead like to shift the discussion to a Pokemon that I've used a lot in the weeks prior. A pokemon that encompasses over half the teams I have in my ZU builder. No, don't worry it's not our purple ripped balance glue mon, Machoke nor is it everybody's favorite Choice Scarfer Electivire. I'm instead talking about Abomasnow.

Rexblisar-Sprite aus Pokédex 3D Pro

I've been using Abomasnow for quite a while now and I've been more than pleased with how perfectly it performs on every team I put it on. I've essentially only used it as a Choice Specs user due to Electivire being the go-to splashable Choice Scarfer. Despite this, I've noticed an inherent success with other sets as well such as Swords Dance variants with Life Orb or Ho3n's Icy Rock Hail Setter. In addition, Abomasnow has one of the greatest offensive typings in the meta as well as access to priority and an astounding amount of coverage. Abomasnow's base stats are nothing to scoff at either as it boasts some of the best defensive stats for any breaker in the tier. These reasons allow Abomasnow to run a plethora of potentially game-changing sets depending on the matchup.
Rexblisar Animationsframe #31

Danke, Rexblisar!

Rexblisar-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In this post I'm going to talk about my outlook on the current metagame and my perspective on the lack of S-rank Pokemon. My opinion is not definitive and my word isn't the truth, so take it how you will.

From what I have seen in the community and in the VR thread, a portion of the playerbase feels that certain A+ Pokemon such as Shiftry and Swanna deserve to be in S-rank due to their effectiveness, splashability, and versatility. However, I would argue that the metagame is at an incredible place and that there really is no Pokemon that stands above the rest. Although I believe that Komala deserves to be S-rank, that belief is not very strong. Komala is A+ now and I totally understand how it has fallen off as people prepped for it more and more and the lack of Tangela helped push the meta into a more offensive direction (imo). Personally I feel that the same cycle would happen to Shiftry and Swanna and any other Pokemon from A+ that becomes S because the metagame is at an equilibrium. To be blunt, the metagame lacks any unhealthy elements and is fully capable of limiting the Pokemon in A+ from getting any better.

To me, that's what holds back having an S-rank at the moment (that there is no single most defining mon imo). In a nutshell, each of the top Pokemon in the tier have their strong points and their limitations, which is true for any Pokemon, but in the context of S-rank we really have to analyze how a Pokemon functions in the metagame and how the metagame functions around it. For example, Shiftry got talk about being unhealthy and potentially meta-defining because of the rise of its checks, how Silvally formes would run creep for it, and Shiftry's offensive prowess (Knock Off and Sucker being amazing+set diversity). However, that is simply a natural process any metagame goes through; a metagame develops around the good Pokemon so I don't agree with the notion that prepping for Shiftry is any worse than prepping for the other A+ ranks. By the same token, the same can be said for Swanna at the moment who has fantastic sets and fits on various archtypes but has key flaws such as the popularity of Scarf Evire and how it needs the right set to be effective. For me it's like ZU went through this cycle with CB and Bulk Up Knock Off Komala and then Pinsir to a lesser extent and now is just another cycle.

I also feel this logic applies to why special wallbreakers such as Specs Abomasnow are increasing in viablity. It's not a surprise that special wallbreakers thrive in a more physically based metagame and that specifically, Bronzor drops off in viablity so Specs Abomasnow gets better and Pokemon such as Mareanie benefit since they have a more favourable position in the metagame. It's all a cycle until we get some drops that shake up the meta.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
In this post I'm going to talk about my outlook on the current metagame and my perspective on the lack of S-rank Pokemon. My opinion is not definitive and my word isn't the truth, so take it how you will.

From what I have seen in the community and in the VR thread, a portion of the playerbase feels that certain A+ Pokemon such as Shiftry and Swanna deserve to be in S-rank due to their effectiveness, splashability, and versatility. However, I would argue that the metagame is at an incredible place and that there really is no Pokemon that stands above the rest. Although I believe that Komala deserves to be S-rank, that belief is not very strong. Komala is A+ now and I totally understand how it has fallen off as people prepped for it more and more and the lack of Tangela helped push the meta into a more offensive direction (imo). Personally I feel that the same cycle would happen to Shiftry and Swanna and any other Pokemon from A+ that becomes S because the metagame is at an equilibrium. To be blunt, the metagame lacks any unhealthy elements and is fully capable of limiting the Pokemon in A+ from getting any better.

To me, that's what holds back having an S-rank at the moment (that there is no single most defining mon imo). In a nutshell, each of the top Pokemon in the tier have their strong points and their limitations, which is true for any Pokemon, but in the context of S-rank we really have to analyze how a Pokemon functions in the metagame and how the metagame functions around it. For example, Shiftry got talk about being unhealthy and potentially meta-defining because of the rise of its checks, how Silvally formes would run creep for it, and Shiftry's offensive prowess (Knock Off and Sucker being amazing+set diversity). However, that is simply a natural process any metagame goes through; a metagame develops around the good Pokemon so I don't agree with the notion that prepping for Shiftry is any worse than prepping for the other A+ ranks. By the same token, the same can be said for Swanna at the moment who has fantastic sets and fits on various archtypes but has key flaws such as the popularity of Scarf Evire and how it needs the right set to be effective. For me it's like ZU went through this cycle with CB and Bulk Up Knock Off Komala and then Pinsir to a lesser extent and now is just another cycle.

I also feel this logic applies to why special wallbreakers such as Specs Abomasnow are increasing in viablity. It's not a surprise that special wallbreakers thrive in a more physically based metagame and that specifically, Bronzor drops off in viablity so Specs Abomasnow gets better and Pokemon such as Mareanie benefit since they have a more favourable position in the metagame. It's all a cycle until we get some drops that shake up the meta.
I agree that the meta is a whole lot more focused on offense, but is still balanced and fine as is. ZU has an absurd amount of viable wallbreakers at the moment, and there’s validitiy in running like 4 set up sweepers on a team, even without screen support. Still, there’s enough there to build checks for these attackers, and nothing stands out as broken or unhealthy.

It is absolutely just another cycle and is no doubt stable enough. I do believe though that a lot of the viability rankings aren’t implicitive of the meta at the moment, but I also understand the naivety and anecdotle evidence with this claim.

If anything, I do think there is a huge leap in the restrictions that the A rank mons put on teams. The B rank and lower mons usually suffer a big oppertunity cost when using them versus an A rank mon. To me that sounds more appropriate for C and D rank mons, not as high as B. And this is mostly a problem with teambuilding, because while teambuilding is easy, a lot of the checks I need to build for revolve around the same A rank mons filling that spot.

The devil’s advocate here is that there totally are a good amount of A rank mons to build from (29, compared to OU’s 30). Again, there will always be niches for the lower tiered mons and thats not an issue. So I don’t believe this is a problem with the meta either.

For the most part, my observations lead me to believe that this meta allows all playstyles to work, with a skew towards offense. Nothing broken or worrysome at the moment.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
As I agree for the most part with 5gen's post about how cycles can occur for metagames which may highlight and subsequently dropoff some threats for the most part, as we have seen in the past with Bulk Up Komala, MarZor Balance, Floatzel, etc... I cannot ignore the consistency of threats such as Shiftry and Swanna upon how much restriction they apply on the team builder, especially when paired together. We have seen the rise of checks especially for the former of course, with notable examples being Machoke, faster Silvally formes, Shiinotic, Slack Off Monferno, and even more niche stuff like Berry Granbull. However the problem I still see with all these checks is how easy they can be to wear down due to either a lack of reliable recovery or just because they can be cripple via Knock Off or status from Shiftry and Swanna respectively. It is important to note these two as they pair extremely well with eachother and for the most part take advantage of each others checks quite exceptionally. Now they aren't given the most easiest time switching in of course, but can still take advantage of the more passive threats needed to check one of the two with examples being Bronzor, Mareanie, Machoke needing to use Rest, Defensive Fightvally etc... and can start applying immense pressure from there.

Now I am not suggesting that we necessarily need to look at either Swanna or Shiftry specifically, but I cannot ignore the huge advantage offense has right now with the plethora of options it has to apply pressure with very little counteraction. Balance and stall are still usable of course, but given how easy Offense can be to break these type of styles they almost become unfavorable to run for the most part. I do hope something gets looked at down the line, whether it be a suspect or potentially bringing something down from ZUBL, but I wanted to give a view of the metagame from my perspective.

I only recently started playing pokemon again and the ZU community has been great. Now i think Abomasnow is looking pretty suspect right now. Versatile, powerful, and not a whole lot of mons in the tier can switch in into his attacks. Sure it can be easy to revenge kill but

Due to recent metagame trends such as how we EV our Silvally types, the popularity of Muk + Shiinotic teams, and a handful of other reasons I'm going to withdraw my original statement on being Pro Suspect for Shiftry. On paper, Shiftry is an overwhelming monster that should check the entire meta but in practice, it doesn't always perform as well.

I would instead like to shift the discussion to a Pokemon that I've used a lot in the weeks prior. A pokemon that encompasses over half the teams I have in my ZU builder. No, don't worry it's not our purple ripped balance glue mon, Machoke nor is it everybody's favorite Choice Scarfer Electivire. I'm instead talking about Abomasnow.

Rexblisar-Sprite aus Pokédex 3D Pro

I've been using Abomasnow for quite a while now and I've been more than pleased with how perfectly it performs on every team I put it on. I've essentially only used it as a Choice Specs user due to Electivire being the go-to splashable Choice Scarfer. Despite this, I've noticed an inherent success with other sets as well such as Swords Dance variants with Life Orb or Ho3n's Icy Rock Hail Setter. In addition, Abomasnow has one of the greatest offensive typings in the meta as well as access to priority and an astounding amount of coverage. Abomasnow's base stats are nothing to scoff at either as it boasts some of the best defensive stats for any breaker in the tier. These reasons allow Abomasnow to run a plethora of potentially game-changing sets depending on the matchup.
Rexblisar Animationsframe #31

Danke, Rexblisar!

Rexblisar-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
I agree Specs Abomasnow is good. Maybe too good. Not too many mons can switch into a specs blizzard and most mons that can get giga drained or focus blasted. Even Specially Defensive behemoths such as assault vest Komala and Lickilicky can get 2HKOd with SR. It´s also surprinsingly good as a lead because snow breaks sturdy and sashes. So yeah versatile and almost impossible to switch into smells like it could get banned.

Now onto stuff i´ve been using i found Choice Scarf Dugtrio an interesting alternative since it can outspeed pretty much everything including the premier scarf user Electvire and EdgeQuake has enough coverage so you can run some suicide alternatives like Memento or Final Gambit in the final slot (i use both but not sure if that is a good idea yet). Basculin can be though to deal with since even pokemon that resist Liquidation take up to 40% damage, meaning with prior damage they can fall prey to it and Aqua Jet. Also strong priority is always apreciated.

Also i agree Knock Off is sort of a problem since many defensive threats rely on Eviolite for bulk and it´s such a splashable and spammable move.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I just wanted to say that I just started building and playing seriously in ZU, and I feel like swanna in particular is truly S-rank worthy. Like, ok you can check it with prio or scarfers or spdef komala/licky or bronzor or mareanie, but 1) all of these mons either lose to physical or special swanna (Z moves). If you are using offense or bulky offense you will not be using a balance core like marzor and for example have gourgeist/golem/komala, which just lose to swanna, and I've found swanna much more annoying than the other mons (electivire is obviously checked by golem/gourg ; shiftry isnt that fast and struggles vs fightvally/monferno/shiinotic , although this is niche). Swanna is like, perfect coverage, unpredictable, destroys offense due to its incredible speed tier and ability to bluff sets (Z special? scarf? physical or special scarf? physical? physical with Z mirror move? etc). So even with a balance team I tend to use spdef mareanie because I'm more scared of special sets which are the best imo, but counterplay is quite limited and is usually "offensive pressure" and "dodge hurricane". If at least we could outspeed the white duck with electivire or dragonvally, things would be easier. So i'm not worried about swanna in the tier, it can be handled, but that's a S-level threat imo which is above the rest of A+ ranks.

Also one last argument, swanna is immune to tspikes (and stickyweb), which makes it even better vs mareanie builds which can make up for the lack of good checks to certain breakers like shiftry/obama/golem/beheeyem/whatever by putting them on a timer via toxic spikes. And if you're gonna take the HO route with webs, swanna will be the first thing you will be preparing for.

Regarding shiftry I don't mind keeping it in A+, there are many viable niche mons able to check it, but that might not be enough given how versatile shiftry can be, a bit like zygarde in OU which went through cycles where it was checked by tangrowth and so started using Z-drake, then Z-irontail for the bulus, then glare for M-latias/clefables etc. Shiftry can do the same with moves like hurricane, explosion or other techs, but usually shiftry likes having both knock and sucker since its the optimal combo vs all playstyles. Swanna is just super fast and can run whatever item and moves it wants, so I focused more on it than shiftry.

Also having something in S that some people will not see as better than A+ isn't such a problem, as long as it's a clearly good mon with no real drawbacks (which I think is the case for swanna). Usually I would rather have X mon in S rank and Y mon in A+ and hear people say "oh that's not faire for Y, it's as good as X" than keeping both in A+ because of "justice "or whatever.

So I'm pro Swanna for S.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So for those of you who've seen me in the room over the last few days this won't come as a surprise, but I wanna talk about the one mon in ZUBL I think we can free without breaking our meta.

Exeggutor was banned at literally the first possible opportunity for us, namely at the very start of SM Beta. At that time, it was on the forefront of two of the very best playstyles, Sun and Trick Room, and was definitely broken. I agree with banning it back then, despite not even being around at the time, as even after it was gone both of those playstyles were way too strong, with things like Victreebel working in Sun's favor and Crabominable + Ursaring for Trick Room. However, those times have long since passed and TR and Sun have both fallen off heavily, both niche status at the moment.

So let's take a look at those playstyles and what Exeggutor would do them. First, Sun. Currently, Sun teams usually consist of 2-3 setters (things like Golem, Volbeat, Carbink), 2 Chlorophyll users (most commonly and in my opinion optimally Leafeon or Sawsbuck and special Shiftry), and one Fire-type (usually Rapidash or Simisear, though Monf/Busken see some use). Eggy would, obviously, take the place of one of the Chlorophyll users and generally be paired with (physical) Shiftry, as the two of them are quite good at breaking apart defensive cores. Eggy also provides Sleep Powder support, which is nice. However, I highly, highly doubt it would break the playstyle. For starters, it doesn't outspeed any popular Scarfers bar Komala if that counts, which is a big issue. A weakness to Sucker Punch and Ice Shard is also quite a problem. Actually, in general, Exeggutor is weak to many of the same things Sun is already weak to (Abomasnow, Z-Rain Swanna, very fast Scarfers, etc) while not breaking anything in particular that Sun currently can't (except for like... fat Monferno? but pretty sure Sun had ways around that already). Basically, Eggy Sun is a 'win more, lose more'-style: yes, it helps Sun rofl-stomp its good matchups, but Sun already does that and Eggy doesn't help any in the bad matchups.

So on to Trick Room. On TR, Exeggutor has very direct competition from Beheeyem, and I'm not so sure it's significantly better. Yes, it offers a second STAB type and Sleep support, but in return it has no coverage moves at all and Giga Drain is weak, leaving it to rely on Leaf Storm instead, which is ass. I think the choice between Eggy and BEM is subjective and won't make the playstyle significantly better. As for using them both at one team, that's certainly possible, but it makes the playstyle's weakness to Shiftry even more apparent and that's just not good at all.

In my opinion, Exeggutor would not break either of the playstyles it broke before, so it should not remain banned for that reason. But of course, the meta has changed, and maybe it would be broken regardless? After all, it is a scary breaker, with 125 Special Attack and a 130 BP STAB move. And yes, it is indeed a very scary breaker. Unfortunately, its typing is pretty bad, as its STAB moves are resisted by any Steel-type, and the only real coverage it gets is Hidden Power (not even Shadow Ball), meaning the most it can do to something like Bronzor is 35-40 with Specs HP Fire. Because of that, I don't think it puts more pressure on defensive teams than something like Abomasnow does (which, by the way, does get Shadow Ball). And, obviously, offensive teams really don't care about a 55 Speed mon with 7 weaknesses, 6 of which are common, that also often locks itself into moves like Leaf Storm or HP Fire if it is Specs (although LO Sleep Powder 3 Attacks is def better).

Other Eggy sets include Harvest with pinch or Colbur berries, but the lack of boosting item leads me to believe those won't be overbearing whatsoever, as well as SubLeech, which I can see the concern about due to it being good against bulkier builds, but the meta is much more offensive at the moment so I doubt it'd be too much. And of course, its sweeper sets in OTR and Sunny Day, but the latter fails to outspeed any common Scarfers while the former competes with OTR BEM without getting too much in return, leaving me to believe it's not significantly better than our current sweepers.

Finally, let's take a look at our current meta. It is generally unarguable that our top 5 mons are Swanna, Shiftry, Komala, EVire, and Golem (not necessarily in that order). The first three of those are all obviously trouble for Eggy: two of them OHKO with a STAB move, and the third has a faster U-turn. EVire is alright, but it's still a Scarfer that outspeeds it in Sun and forces it to remain healthy. And lastly is Golem, which sounds like a mon Eggy can abuse, and it kind of is, but Ada Stone Edge does 60-70 and it often runs Sucker Punch, which is again bad. The presence of offense is also a big issue for it, as that is just not a good matchup for it at all.
As for what it offers, there are a couple good things it does. Firstly, it offers a breaker that competes with Abomasnow and Shiftry, which is nice to make them a bit less everywhere. It gives a boost to two niche playstyles in Sun and TR, which offers diversity without breaking them (imo), it is a Psychic-type breaker that doesn't have to rely on a coverage move to nuke Shiftry (Specs Leaf Storm does 80-90) and lastly, and this is very important, it offers Sleep support! Ever since Tang left, we have had no real Sleep inducers, and I think getting a mon that can run it more easily will allow mons that struggle to set up otherwise, like Huntail and maybe even Eevee, to have the support that they love so much.

All in all, I think Exeggutor would not only be not broken, it would also be a healthy addition to our metagame. In the games that I have played with it (no replays because I am dumb), it wasn't overbearing at all, even against teams not specifically built for it, so I am very interested in suspect testing Exeggutor to drop down and really want to hear what the rest of the community thinks!

If anyone wants to play an Exeggutor game, hmu on PS

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
So for those of you who've seen me in the room over the last few days this won't come as a surprise, but I wanna talk about the one mon in ZUBL I think we can free without breaking our meta.

Exeggutor was banned at literally the first possible opportunity for us, namely at the very start of SM Beta. At that time, it was on the forefront of two of the very best playstyles, Sun and Trick Room, and was definitely broken. I agree with banning it back then, despite not even being around at the time, as even after it was gone both of those playstyles were way too strong, with things like Victreebel working in Sun's favor and Crabominable + Ursaring for Trick Room. However, those times have long since passed and TR and Sun have both fallen off heavily, both niche status at the moment.

So let's take a look at those playstyles and what Exeggutor would do them. First, Sun. Currently, Sun teams usually consist of 2-3 setters (things like Golem, Volbeat, Carbink), 2 Chlorophyll users (most commonly and in my opinion optimally Leafeon or Sawsbuck and special Shiftry), and one Fire-type (usually Rapidash or Simisear, though Monf/Busken see some use). Eggy would, obviously, take the place of one of the Chlorophyll users and generally be paired with (physical) Shiftry, as the two of them are quite good at breaking apart defensive cores. Eggy also provides Sleep Powder support, which is nice. However, I highly, highly doubt it would break the playstyle. For starters, it doesn't outspeed any popular Scarfers bar Komala if that counts, which is a big issue. A weakness to Sucker Punch and Ice Shard is also quite a problem. Actually, in general, Exeggutor is weak to many of the same things Sun is already weak to (Abomasnow, Z-Rain Swanna, very fast Scarfers, etc) while not breaking anything in particular that Sun currently can't (except for like... fat Monferno? but pretty sure Sun had ways around that already). Basically, Eggy Sun is a 'win more, lose more'-style: yes, it helps Sun rofl-stomp its good matchups, but Sun already does that and Eggy doesn't help any in the bad matchups.

So on to Trick Room. On TR, Exeggutor has very direct competition from Beheeyem, and I'm not so sure it's significantly better. Yes, it offers a second STAB type and Sleep support, but in return it has no coverage moves at all and Giga Drain is weak, leaving it to rely on Leaf Storm instead, which is ass. I think the choice between Eggy and BEM is subjective and won't make the playstyle significantly better. As for using them both at one team, that's certainly possible, but it makes the playstyle's weakness to Shiftry even more apparent and that's just not good at all.

In my opinion, Exeggutor would not break either of the playstyles it broke before, so it should not remain banned for that reason. But of course, the meta has changed, and maybe it would be broken regardless? After all, it is a scary breaker, with 125 Special Attack and a 130 BP STAB move. And yes, it is indeed a very scary breaker. Unfortunately, its typing is pretty bad, as its STAB moves are resisted by any Steel-type, and the only real coverage it gets is Hidden Power (not even Shadow Ball), meaning the most it can do to something like Bronzor is 35-40 with Specs HP Fire. Because of that, I don't think it puts more pressure on defensive teams than something like Abomasnow does (which, by the way, does get Shadow Ball). And, obviously, offensive teams really don't care about a 55 Speed mon with 7 weaknesses, 6 of which are common, that also often locks itself into moves like Leaf Storm or HP Fire if it is Specs (although LO Sleep Powder 3 Attacks is def better).

Other Eggy sets include Harvest with pinch or Colbur berries, but the lack of boosting item leads me to believe those won't be overbearing whatsoever, as well as SubLeech, which I can see the concern about due to it being good against bulkier builds, but the meta is much more offensive at the moment so I doubt it'd be too much. And of course, its sweeper sets in OTR and Sunny Day, but the latter fails to outspeed any common Scarfers while the former competes with OTR BEM without getting too much in return, leaving me to believe it's not significantly better than our current sweepers.

Finally, let's take a look at our current meta. It is generally unarguable that our top 5 mons are Swanna, Shiftry, Komala, EVire, and Golem (not necessarily in that order). The first three of those are all obviously trouble for Eggy: two of them OHKO with a STAB move, and the third has a faster U-turn. EVire is alright, but it's still a Scarfer that outspeeds it in Sun and forces it to remain healthy. And lastly is Golem, which sounds like a mon Eggy can abuse, and it kind of is, but Ada Stone Edge does 60-70 and it often runs Sucker Punch, which is again bad. The presence of offense is also a big issue for it, as that is just not a good matchup for it at all.
As for what it offers, there are a couple good things it does. Firstly, it offers a breaker that competes with Abomasnow and Shiftry, which is nice to make them a bit less everywhere. It gives a boost to two niche playstyles in Sun and TR, which offers diversity without breaking them (imo), it is a Psychic-type breaker that doesn't have to rely on a coverage move to nuke Shiftry (Specs Leaf Storm does 80-90) and lastly, and this is very important, it offers Sleep support! Ever since Tang left, we have had no real Sleep inducers, and I think getting a mon that can run it more easily will allow mons that struggle to set up otherwise, like Huntail and maybe even Eevee, to have the support that they love so much.

All in all, I think Exeggutor would not only be not broken, it would also be a healthy addition to our metagame. In the games that I have played with it (no replays because I am dumb), it wasn't overbearing at all, even against teams not specifically built for it, so I am very interested in suspect testing Exeggutor to drop down and really want to hear what the rest of the community thinks!

If anyone wants to play an Exeggutor game, hmu on PS

Eggy is an interesting case. I admittedly wasn't around for when it was just terrorizing the tier, but based on what I know I feel like today's meta wouldn't have too many issues handling it.

Overall I'm pro suspect. I think that Eggy would fill a unique niche in our meta that wouldn't be super overbearing and should be powerful while also being relatively easy to deal with.

It's a unique and flexible Pokemon that is also very capable of denting pretty much the entire tier thanks to that monstrous Special Attack, but it also has a few very exploitable weaknesses that would let it be taken care of.

Now, the only thing that's making me potentially scared of Eggy in ZU is one of those exploitable weaknesses.

The only Pokemon that consistently beats Exeggutor is...the already very common Shiftry.

Eggy in ZU would vault Shiftry into an incredibly valuable position of being the only Pokemon to check every conceivable Eggy set (except for one very gimmicky one I discuss later on in the paragraph). It outspeeds it in the Sun because of Chlorophyll. It can use it's STAB Dark type moves to OHKO Eggy. Exeggutor also cannot OHKO Shiftry unless it A) Hits it with HP Fire in the Sun or with Specs equipped B) is packing HP Bug or C) Sludge Bomb. (Thanks Tsareentje for pointing that one out) That's also assuming the Shiftry player switches in, which they are unlikely to do if they are intelligent. Shiftry revenge kills every Eggy set with ease (and can even switch in with good prediction), unless its a Harvest Colbur Berry set with HP Bug/Sludge Bomb for some reason.

I'm slightly worried that Eggy being allowed in the tier would vault Shiftry to the point of being almost mandatory. I think it's the best mon in the tier right now, so this for me is slightly scary.

I don't think it's a big enough deal to outright stop an Eggy suspect test. Far from that, I think Eggy could be an interesting addition to the tier. It's just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I find Exeggutor to be an undeniably good addition to our meta, being a very nice addition to sun and trick room teams, while carrying a nifty specs set, none of which being centralizing forces in their own right.

I find myself being very Pro-Suspect, as during some test matches, not once did i find Egg to be pressuring on teambuilding or overwhelming in practice, even with teams that aren't specifically prepared for it, and it finds itself being quite lackluster in matches as well, since it has to be scared of so many common moves.

I don't have much to say here, other than that exeggutor would be nice to have in ZU, hope we see a suspect soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)