Smogoff People's Moderator 2023 (i wonder who will win this year. probably big ashley again right. yea probably tbh)

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
jc.png

Friends, Romans, countryposters -- lend me your eyes! Or screen-readers, of course. The time has once again rolled around for us, the little people of Smogoff, to select our almighty leader, the People's Mod. Previously, this vote has been won by my good self and, well, nobody else... We shall see how the third iteration goes.

Here's what I had to say about the process last year:

"Here's what monkfish had to say about it last year:

"as is tradition, at the start of every year the people of Smogoff exercise their right to democratic rule. you should all be familiar with this protocol but here's a reminder:
  1. aside from the regular moderators of the forum, there is an additional People's Moderator (PM)
  2. the PM is nominated and voted for by the democratic body of the posters of Smogoff. restrictions on who can be PM are as follows:
    • the PM must have held a smogon account for over six months
    • the PM must have posted in Smogoff a minimum of 10 times in the past six months
    • the PM may never have been an actual smogon forum moderator, past or present
    • the PM must be nominated in this thread and must have won the popular vote in the voting thread (as yet uncreated)
  3. strictly speaking the PM has no 'power' on the forums. they cannot lock threads or delete posts. instead their power manifests as rule by consent: if the PM declares that a thread is locked, no democratically-supportive poster will further post in the thread. if the PM instructs a poster to delete or edit their post, the poster acquiesces to do so, out of respect for the office of the PM and the democratic process" (fish, 2021)"" (ashley, 2022)

This year, I have decided to throw an additional slight spanner into the works (mainly for my own amusement). In an attempt to hold up a mirror to the grotesque Americanisation of our culture, each candidate must self-declare, and must have a running mate. This sounds funny and also maybe it might help some of us make friends. Plus my Deputy PM last year went AWOL so a bit more of a commitment might help there also. Some campaign promises would be nice too. ig.

Rest assured, when the time comes to vote, I shall once again get a bit too into it and complicate the process somewhat.

With that, it's time to Do A Democracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

Works Cited
ashley, b. (2022), "Smogoff People's Moderator 2022" in Smogoff, Smogon University Press.
fish, m. (2021), "Smogoff People's Moderator 2021: Nominations" in Smogoff, Smogon University Press.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to nominate a poster for people’s moderator, yet I fear that said poster will be accused of being a puppet people’s moderator, merely in the pockets of the current moderation team. This is not the case. I hereby promise you that I have no ill intentions or ulterior motives behind the following nomination:

CaffeineBoost

While Big Ashley’s time as PM has been fruitful for the forum, I do believe a two year term limit would be appropriate as a way to keep the PM position fresh with new ideas and perspectives. CaffeineBoost is the new blood we need, and I’m sure he will pick a great running mate should he choose to run. I have faith in his ability to lock threads in an appropriate manner (accompanied by a witty lock message) and lead the posters into a brighter future.

This is a personal endorsement and does reflect the views of the rest of the rest of the moderation team. I am phoopes and I approve this message.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
Hello everyone, to prove that phoopes' nomination is true, I will proceed to declare my intent to run as people's moderator while he drinks some water.

Hey hey everybody! It's me! Mr. Boost! Wow it sure is a lovely crowd tonight. Anyway what this shitpost subforum needs is some hardcore political discussions like how the people in power have destroyed the reaction economy, so much that my honourable friend az had to make a completely separate currency to denoblublub blub blublu *COUGH* *COUGH* ack FUCK, that went down the wro- uh i mean... ahem. Hey hey! What was I talking about? Uuuuh anyway yeah I'm running for smogosh people's moderator... smogosh... smogo... smo- the subshorum's peo- GOD FUCKING... uuuuh, yeah yeah people! Vote for me!

Anyway here's my running mate, Billy O'Brien:
1674693642764.png

Before the election, we, the voting populace, should get the opportunity to swap candidates with their running mates, or perhaps swap running mates with other candidates' running mates.

This is so we, the voting populace, can uphold democratic... uhhh... profiteroles. Or whatever.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
i am now accepting applications for (or as) a running mate. my policy will be laissez faire, only stepping in as the moderators perform actions that encroach on the freedoms of the Posting Community. every Poster should feel free to express their soul, whether it may be cringe or based. if it does not harm others, let it be heard! i can promise every Poster that under my leadership, there will be no petty tyrannical moves from my administration. minds are free-range; so too should Posting be.

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
Just wanted to let The People know that I am not running for Major of Smogoff Town this election. Not a candidate this time. Will not be running for presidency. Political science is the toilet bowl of the devil and I am a good Christian bird. Do not vote for me. Cheers x

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hello everyone, to prove that phoopes' nomination is true, I will proceed to declare my intent to run as people's moderator while he drinks some water.

Hey hey everybody! It's me! Mr. Boost! Wow it sure is a lovely crowd tonight. Anyway what this shitpost subforum needs is some hardcore political discussions like how the people in power have destroyed the reaction economy, so much that my honourable friend az had to make a completely separate currency to denoblublub blub blublu *COUGH* *COUGH* ack FUCK, that went down the wro- uh i mean... ahem. Hey hey! What was I talking about? Uuuuh anyway yeah I'm running for smogosh people's moderator... smogosh... smogo... smo- the subshorum's peo- GOD FUCKING... uuuuh, yeah yeah people! Vote for me!

Anyway here's my running mate, Billy O'Brien:
View attachment 486824
Whats your tax policy?
What's your opinion on "people" that put pineapple on pizza?
How do you plan to fix the like economy?, thanks to the current people's moderator actions the Like value has reached lows never seen before and many Like related industries had to declare bankruptcy, the owner of that one lost the incredible amount of five thousand Likes in a single post.
What do you think of Iono?

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
Thank you for your questions KaenSoul.

Whats your tax policy?
Rename tax fraud to tax cringe to disincentivize people from doing it.

What's your opinion on "people" that put pineapple on pizza?
Pineapple on pizza is not a Christmas movie.

How do you plan to fix the like economy?, thanks to the current people's moderator actions the Like value has reached lows never seen before and many Like related industries had to declare bankruptcy, the owner of that one lost the incredible amount of five thousand Likes in a single post.
Each like to be revalued to 1.1 likes so they'll be worth 10% more.

What do you think of Iono?
My 16th favourite United State of America! Next to Utwa and Ohithere.

Hope this answers all your questions adequately.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
1674834117297.png

Posting and Prosperity

My fellow people of Smogoff.

I have spent countless hours at the Church of the Holy Post, preparing for this day to arrive. My time spent there has opened my eyes and thus I have decided to run alongside Buu Saga Gohan. Together we hope to return to our posting roots but with a more modern and inclusive approach to posting. Furthermore, the react economy has seen a slight increase since I announced my candidacy back in December. Gohan and I plan on continuing this trend to hopefully rebuild a powerful react economy.

Posters and Lurkers from all corners of smogoff, I pray that you hear this call to action. You and you alone can help create a prosperous Smogoff.

Gohan is there anything you would like to add:

1674838767497.png

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Nominating myself for the following reasons

1. I know next to nothing about Smogoff
2. I have 0 experience being a PM (People's Moderator) and in any similar position
3. I am power hungry
4. Despite being power hungry I will probably do nothing with my position long-term and change nothing
5. I am a funny joke vote

Therefore I am the perfect choice for PM (People's Moderator). Thank you for your time. Any and all questions will be answered via a coinflip.

Also my running mate is myself. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and yourself the closest.

Last edited:

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
now accepting bribes for my candidacy

I solemnly promise to run a campaign that is 100% opposite of anyone you don't like currently running. Whatever they say they're going to do for you, I'm actually gonna do the OPPOSITE by DOING IT FOR REAL because they are liars and won't do anything for you. This is it, the Very Fishy Campaign of 2023. Trust no one but me, seriously. :woo:

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
Just wanted to let The People know that I am not running for Major of Smogoff Town this election. Not a candidate this time. Will not be running for presidency. Political science is the toilet bowl of the devil and I am a good Christian bird. Do not vote for me. Cheers x
Nominating Albatross, they show clear intiative to take the reins and it is only fair that such dedication be rewarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)