Board Game Smogon Chess Tournament - Won by Ashwins72 and Royal1604

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've tried to keep past cases of cheating less publicly obvious (except when it was a banned user with multiple alts lol) but we're far enough into the tournament that it's kinda hard to not make a full post about this here, especially since it impacts the points of three players who could theoretically win the Advanced Bracket (extremely cool and good I know). arn.av136 is clearly cheating in this series and will be DQd from the bracket. His past games were suspicious but not deemed sufficient to act on until now. Having this insight now though, it becomes necessary to revisit his prior games and give points back to opponents that were cheated earlier on.

BasedWhat? gets the win for this series.
Kingler managed to draw since arn.av ran out of time G1, he will get an extra 1/2 point. This matters for winning the bracket, it moves him from tied for second to tied for first. It's entirely possible he wouldn't have been the one 5 point player to be paired down with a 4.5er this round had this not happened, but given that he got cheated out of just 1/2 a point last round I'm not inclined to treat his situation differently like I am for other people below.
Eblurb got activitied, no change there.
Zenithial won (I'm pretty sure arn.av was not cheating G1 and started to G2 only to run out of time and choke a strongly won position to a draw without assistance) so no change there.
Procrastinasian already dropped out but idk maybe he wants to know his series was probably suspect.

On the other hand:
Yoda2798 lost r3 and will be receiving an extra point. This moves Yoda from 4 to 5 before playing this round, potentially being tied for 1st with a win.
ButteredToast lost r1 and will be receiving an extra point. This moves ButteredToast from 4 to 5 before playing this round, potentially being tied for first with a win.

The implications of having much easier pairings for most or all of the tournament going into the final round and then winning would be very awkward, particularly given the actual prize on the line. I know it's not either of your guys' faults but if it happens that you are poised to win the prize I may need to work out an extra mitigating factor, perhaps an extra match with 2nd place or something. I haven't really thought this through or asked Hogg how he would feel since he's the one providing the prize, plus there's a good chance it doesn't matter, but I'm stating this up front just in case.

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
<Other stuff>

Yoda2798 lost r3 and will be receiving an extra point. This moves Yoda from 3.5 to 4.5 before playing this round, potentially being tied for 2nd with a win.
Hi, thanks for that, I just wanted to point out something else I now realised. I think I should have already been on 4 points rather than 3.5 originally going into this round anyways? I had 3 points going into round 6 and got the win from my opponent dropping out, but only have 3.5 points according to the round 7 bracket. Apologies if that makes things even more complicated.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, thanks for that, I just wanted to point out something else I now realised. I think I should have already been on 4 points rather than 3.5 originally going into this round anyways? I had 3 points going into round 6 and got the win from my opponent dropping out, but only have 3.5 points according to the round 7 bracket. Apologies if that makes things even more complicated.
Sorry you're right. You did have 4 in the bracket I just forgot to note it in the R7 post and then went off your score from that for this. Not entirely sure what not pairing you vs fruit is avoiding either but sure. Anyway the same stuff applies just with a potentially higher probability of you winning I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)