CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
What was I saying, it's not Doug's Kana, but tea_and_blues's Kana >_> Sanglunaria's mage is great too, but I think it'd need to be special-based to fit with the concept. Doug's is perfect as it doesn't get Cross Chop, but it's too Dusknoir0ish to me, even though I love the black djinn.

God Hyra, I feel your pain.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doug's design is one I see getting Focus Punch, Shadow Punch, and Bulk Up. It can't exactly slash or chop with gold brass knuckles on.
Look at this early sketch design study for my fighting Djinni design. At the bottom you'll see how I designed it to be able to open its hand. The "brass knuckles" are really a band around its hand. That band should not prevent open hand moves, and could protect the knife of the hand when making chopping attacks. While punching is obviously a very big deal, I don't think open hand attacks should be eliminated.

This one, KOA's other one a few pages back, and Rocko the Tacho's are my favorites. As for DJD, I don't see it as a Pokemon. Like someone else said: "It is more like a villain from Batman or Spiderman." This one \/\/\/\/ takes the cake though. I suggest using both of KOA's Rocko's and DJD's, since tehy are the besat I have seen. Maybe add in the Pink Fluffy cloud and the Fewncing Pokemon [Forgot who made them] too, since those were good also. I also like Cooper's Eye + 2 Hands concept, but since no1 seemed to like it, you might not put it in.

Im reposting my better one as I have tweaked it and fixed the feathers.

Comments?
I don't see this as a Ghost. Fighting, maybe. Nintendo could twist it a little. More like Ground/Fighting to me.

Doug's is good, but like I said, someone else too, it just doesn't look like a pokemon at all. now in no way am I saying that Doug is a bad artist. I'm saying don't submit that artwork to Nintendo. Try Marvel or D.C. That is the type of Character design they use over there.

Lol. It's from the Shit-All-I-Have-On-My-Laptop-Is-MSPaint school of art.
actually even though you used Microsoft Paint your style is very reminiscent of LOZ: the windwaker art which was my fav LOZ game....besides Ocarina of Time. See look -

^ Love chu chu's

You got the cell shading talent down on Microsoft paint

So I did a wikisearch on martial arts and came across zui quan (aka drunken fist) and I've been brainstorming

Inspiration videos (http://youtube.com/watch?v=UFnHRs308kQ)
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0CHVotlLg&feature=related)

My idea is some kind of ghost type (maybe a mummy or a shadow-like thing) maybe with a mask, that fights in this style. It carries a large vase/container full of "mystic water" (or sake) that it drinks in order to fight. I'm having trouble with the face/position/stance though. I find it kind of difficult to make it look drunk. If he's a mummy he could be tripping over its own feet wrappings?

If anyone likes this idea and wants to give it a try please feel free to sketch something. I'll probably post my sketches so you can get a better understanding perhaps.

When I first read "drunken fist," Rock Lee from Naruto was my first thought. Not sure if you wanted to go in this direction, as this is just one artist's take on that particular style, but I thought the facial expressions might suit your fancy. Rock Lee didn't really stand in any particularly different manner when drunk, but he did stagger a lot. Maybe that that into consideration?

"Look at Gliscor or Giratina and tell me that those look like kiddie cartoons."

Well, they do. They may look more like monsters, but they're still cartoon monsters. Put them in 3D or CGI, and they would still look out-of-place in, say, one of the contemporary Final Fantasy games. I'm getting at something like this:

Look here at a Pokemon and a comparable Digimon (actually, Tyranitar is one of the more complex-looking Pokemon, while Greymon is on the simpler-looking to average end of the Digimon scale). Notice that while both look like dinosaurian monsters, one is definitely a cartoon while the other looks more like an actual creature one might see in a serious fantasy or sci-fi movie.

While Tyranitar's features are more stylized, Greymon has more realistic muscles and more prominent claws/fangs. Tyranitar's markings are simple and minimal, while Greymon's stripes obviously take a fairly long time to draw.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I finished my latest and one of my favorite pieces just now.

See if you can guess the main inspiration for it:

Give up?

Well I decided to reach deep back into my youth and recall something I thoroughly enjoyed. This was actually triggered by someone's response that we should go for something with a mummy-ish design. At the mention of that, a timebomb went off in my head that screamed.

Still confused?

Well, once I got the huge inspiration, I did all I could to draw from that well and soak up all the creativity that idea had to offer. Upon completing the final product, I found myself frozen in awe by just gazing upon this piece.

If you are still confused, then I really cannot offer anymore help. I will also be a jerk and not reveal the main inspiration outright. Ya'll are a smart group of chaps. :P

Anywho, into the piece here. I tried going along the best for the role here of a physically balanced Ghost/Fighting type.

When Friday comes around and we send in our stat spreads, I kept in mind the obvious diversity that will be subjected and wanted a creation that could be very well adaptable enough to fit the niche of any spread proposed.

The large hands pretty much guarantee the usage of most conventional fighting attacks. Obviously any kicking attacks are ruled out but none of them are all that exceptional in my opinion.

I hope you guys enjoy this design as much as I did making it. :P

Also, there's like no plausible explanation as to why this thing wouldn't get Mean Look or Scary Face, just saying...

I wanted it to look like an Oni or something but that didn't work. Not that good actually. It's just a doodle I did one day during class. It sort of looks like Mr.Mime.

I don't see this as a Ghost. Fighting, maybe. Nintendo could twist it a little. More like Ground/Fighting to me.
It probably dosent look like a ghost because it isnt molevelant looking. There are nice ghosts in mythology, like the creature my idea is based on, a valkarie.

I finished my latest and one of my favorite pieces just now.

See if you can guess the main inspiration for it:

May I say ReDead's? Please?

Anyways, the bandages are what throws me off. And the incredibly awkward head position. The head position looks so out of place. While I like what you did with the idea, your design just seems very out of place compared to the others. The obnoxiously slim body (anorexia?) over accentuates the dead human aspect of it. Maybe if you fleshed out the torso and then changed the head, I could see it. But right now, this is too good of an imitation and just sends out the creepiness that is lacking from Pokemon.

Although, you could give it Rainbow colored strips. That would be a nice touch and make it much harder to be afraid of.

Blah Blah My greatest creation Blah blah Uber Mummy blah blah

<insert>Ghost mummy/wrapping ghost here</insert>
Not going to guess where your inspiration came from but I know it pretty good to come up with something as pwnsome at that. Really KoA, that guy there wins by over 9000 points.

Hyra~ Gah no...no rainbow colored wrappings D: You want him to be scary or Toucan Sam newest buddy? I would have said gay but that might offend people lol

Not going to guess where your inspiration came from but I know it pretty good to come up with something as pwnsome at that. Really KoA, that guy there wins by over 9000 points.

Hyra~ Gah no...no rainbow colored wrappings D: You want him to be scary or Toucan Sam newest buddy? I would have said gay but that might offend people lol
Well, that idea sprung from how detailed the wrapping are. But that will disappear when they are colored and sprited. So if they are all different colors, the detail stays. Plus, a gay Redead would be a very, very interesting concept to work with.

random concept im throwing out here.

also note that i had a genie idea before i'd seen that wierd humanish one.

this is from the shit im busy and dont have long and have nothing but mspaint and no scanner school of art....i'll probably improve on it later (i'll use a scanner)

anyway, obviously its based on a genie (djinni, whatever). i wanted to try and give it a movepool beyond the usual boring punching and kicking stuff, hence the chains. to show that its restricted to the lamp i also added a chain, which isnt the usual sort of genie thing. one chain is free to allow different moves (power whip, wrap i dunno, you think of something cool) being strapped to the lamp was also an effort to try and make sure this thing doesnt have levitate , as it could mean damage to the lamp hurts it or something.

the body is kinda meh atm, cos i havent thought much beyond the lamp, chains and fists, but i'll come up with something later. im very much attempting to design a POKEMON here, and dont want to give it the boring humanised muscular structure for a body.

expect better quality hen i dont make a picture on paint in 5 minutes.

I vote for the Chus, but really, none of these scream somthing that looks like it could take a Powerful Physical attacl too well. While some of these fit the other discriptions well, some need to have a bit Bulkier buld IMO

Gay Redead? something about that make me laugh out loud sooo damn hard.
Sorry for off-topicness, but as a Zelda fan (and my little sister's an even bigger one) I have to point out that Redeads are the zombie guys. The mummies are Gibdos. So it'd actually be a gay Gibdo.

Oh yikes, gay ones would be scary. I'm sure a few people are familiar with how they attack. I think I just gave myself nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)