Smogon Grand Slam III - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

credit to vinc2612 for making the post this is based off and to funkasaurus for being a dog enthusiast n_n

Hello and welcome to the third Smogon Grand Slam! This time around, the XY tiers will be represented in this tournament. Players will compete in separate tournaments for the UU, LC, Doubles, RU, NU, and Ubers metagames with a turquoise trophy up for grabs!

The format consists of six separate tournaments: The UU Open, The LC Open, The Doubles Open, The RU Open, The NU Open, and the Ubers Open, however, each player can only enter five out of these six opens. Each tournament is single elimination, best of three. Depending on your performance in an Open, you will be awarded points. The point system is the same as the one used in Smogon Tour (see this for further explanation). When all the Opens have been finished, the eight players with the most points will advance to the play-offs. There they will battle in a best of five series (the higher seed will decide which tier will be excluded, but they must inform their opponent within one day of the round being posted) until there is one undisputed Grand Slam champion.

Signups for each Open will be posted after the first round of the previous Open is completed. The hosts are allowed to play in the tournament that they are administering, as long as they elect someone else to create pairings. Here is the list of the six Opens with the names of the hosts and the dates each will be posted:
  • The UU Open - Hosted by kokoloko and Limitless - July 20th
  • The LC Open - Hosted by macle - August 4th
  • The RU Open - Hosted by Oglemi - August 18th
  • The Doubles Open - Hosted by Pwnemon - August 18th
  • The NU Open - Hosted by Raseri - September 1st
  • The Ubers Open - Hosted by Hugendugen and Melee Mewtwo - September 1st
If there are any questions, post in this thread and I will answer them as well as I can. Do not use this thread as a venue to complain about the format.

If a tier shift happens to occur during a round, it will not be taken into account until the following round. The same goes for the release of new Pokemon/formes. Keep in mind that this tournament is entirely XY and does not include metagames from past generations.

A spreadsheet with overall standings will be added to this post once the first round of the UU Open reaches its conclusion.

Overall Standings

Best of luck to all involved!
_

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
How is the UU Open going to work in conjunction with the constant BL drops? Are they going to be incorporated into the tour or are they going to be put on hold for the duration of the Grand Slam?

ex. Haxorus is legal now as it is currently being tested, but will it be legal for the Grand Slam? Guessing no, but it is open to some ambiguity so I thought I would ask.

How is the UU Open going to work in conjunction with the constant BL drops? Are they going to be incorporated into the tour or are they going to be put on hold for the duration of the Grand Slam?

ex. Haxorus is legal now as it is currently being tested, but will it be legal for the Grand Slam? Guessing no, but it is open to some ambiguity so I thought I would ask.
UU drops will be treated the same way as Uber pkmn who are being suspect tested in OU. If Haxorus was BL but is currently in UU for testing purposes, it will still be treated as BL (i.e. banned). If the "suspect" is voted to stay in UU, then it will be unbanned from the Open in the following round.

Quick question.

Are you allowed to switch teams midway in one round? (I assume its still best of 3.) Meaning after you play one battle with your opponent, then in the second one are you able to switch to a different team?
I assume not? Clarification would be nice. Thanks!

One question. Are you allowed to change teams at all during one open, and if so, is this between players, between matches with the same player, or both?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Bo3 in five different Opens in an attempt to accumulate enough points to be one of the final eight Playoff players only to get eliminated in Round One. Couldn't possibly use your time any wiser. In.

credit to vinc2612 for making the post this is based off and to funkasaurus for being a dog enthusiast n_n

Hello and welcome to the third Smogon Grand Slam! This time around, the XY tiers will be represented in this tournament. Players will compete in separate tournaments for the UU, RU, Uber, LC, and NU metagames with a turquoise trophy up for grabs!

Like in previous Grand Slams, the format consists of five separate tournaments: The UU Open, The RU Open, The Ubers Open, The LC Open, and the NU Open. Each tournament is single elimination, best of three. Depending on your performance in an Open, you will be awarded points. The point system is the same as the one used in Smogon Tour (see this for further explanation). When all the Opens have been finished, the eight players with the most points will advance to the play-offs. There they will battle in a best of five series (UU, RU, Uber, LC, and NU) until there is one undisputed Grand Slam champion.

Signups for each Open will be posted after the first round of the previous Open is completed. The hosts are allowed to play in the tournament that they are administering, as long as they elect someone else to create pairings. Here is the list of the five Opens with the names of the hosts and the dates each will be posted:

*The NU Open will be hosted after the LC Open this year to allow for September tier shifts.

If there are any questions, post in this thread and I will answer them as well as I can. Do not use this thread as a venue to complain about the format.

If a tier shift happens to occur during a round, it will not be taken into account until the following round. The same goes for the release of new Pokemon/formes. Keep in mind that this tournament is entirely XY and does not include metagames from past generations.

A spreadsheet with overall standings will be added to this post once the first round of the UU Open reaches its conclusion.

Best of luck to all involved!
_
The tournament schedule has the grand slam on july 22 but this thread says july 20. What is the correct date?

The tournament schedule has the grand slam on july 22 but this thread says july 20. What is the correct date?
I'm guessing that you're looking at the on-site listing which only gives the date for last year's tournament (on-site tournament listings are extremely outdated). This thread has the schedule for all upcoming major tournaments (as well as those that have recently concluded), and is updated whenever necessary. I hope this helps :)

I'm guessing that you're looking at the on-site listing which only gives the date for last year's tournament (on-site tournament listings are extremely outdated). This thread has the schedule for all upcoming major tournaments (as well as those that have recently concluded), and is updated whenever necessary. I hope this helps :)
Thanks KOKOLOKO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)