Other Smogon Noir--A complete dark theme for Smogon

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler

Smogon Noir

Current version: 1.13
As the title says, I've gone back to update my dark theme for the original forums while an official one is being developed (no word on release). In the interim, I'd love to get your feedback! This thread will serve as a place where you can post bugs, comments, and suggestions.

What it does

Through the use of a browser plugin (Stylus), you can install this theme to customize the way you see the site. This theme is designed to work on every part of the site--Articles, Forums, and Dex--and almost every aspect has been tweaked. I may have missed something though, and that's partially what this thread is for :P

How to install

The use of this theme first requires the installation of Stylus to your browser. You can find it in the Chrome/Firefox extension stores here and here, respectively. The theme itself can then be installed here. I should note that neither I nor Smogon are associated with Stylus, so as with any installation proceed at your own risk.

How to update

To update the theme, return to the theme download page and click "update style". The page sometimes doesn't want to give you this option, in which case you may have to delete the theme from Stylus and reinstall it. I'll announce when I push updates in this thread.

Looking forward to your feedback! When posting bugs, please also post what browser/page so I can recreate the issue.

fix in next release

old posts based on html may not have the right text color, and thus hard to read.

Jan 19, 2018(v1.7)--Initial Commit of v1.7
Jan 27, 2018(v1.8)--Fixed poll creation BG colors and disabled text boxes; changed contrast of old alert BGs; Fixed mod alert textbox when editing post and PM link BG color (?); applied new BG color to search filters; changed color of links/usernames to make them stand out in text.
Feb 4, 2018(v1.9)--Fixed twitter embeds, Fixed BG color of alerts list (thanks Kala!), BG color of forums is now red all the time, Changed shade of red and hover color for unread threads to make it easier to read, Added support for userlist when making PMs
Feb 13, 2018(v1.9.1)--Added support for arrow/menu when window too small
Feb 21, 2018(v1.10)--Added support for users viewing thread, "what's new" tabs; Fixed username color in forum mods banner, html-based post color, collapsible menu when too small, page nav when too small
Feb 25, 2018(v1.10.1)--Reverted changes to old html-based posts since it broke GP colors; Altered checkbox color; Changed left border color of selected/highlighted items in lists; Fixed reply color on "what's new" page
Mar 4, 2018(v.1.10.2)--Added support for inline BB code and search error message; Reworked colors in code blocks
Mar 14, 2018(v.1.10.3)--Quick fix for site changes
Mar 18, 2018(v.1.10.4)--Fixed the display of some articles (likely not going to work in long term), altered article nav, dex works again.
Mar 25, 2018(v.1.10.5)--Improved support for CMS
Jul 1, 2018(v.1.10.6)--Added support for smog article outdated alert; fixed flickering in dex
Aug 11, 2018(v.1.11)--Modified post toolbar to have colors make more sense; added support for image upload; fixed minor profile and post bugs
Aug 26, 2018(v.1.11.1)--Darkened set export; minor bug fix on help page
Oct 21, 2018(v.1.11.2)--Fixed SSBB article
Oct 24, 2018(v.1.11.2.1)--Patched cancel/preview buttons that broke; improve support for JAPE articles
Nov 17, 2018(v.1.11.2.2)--Minor bug fixes
Dec 16, 2018 (v.1.11.3)--Added support for bracket maker
Jan 6, 2018 (v.1.11.4)--Fixed bug with table alt row and style chooser
Feb 1, 2019 (v.1.11.5)--Increased support for attachments
Feb 3, 2019 (v.1.12)--Update to support xf upgrade
Feb 9, 2019 (v.1.12.1)--Bug fixes for xf 2.1
Apr 9, 2019 (v.1.12.2)--Added support for show old threads, language select, and internal link embeds
Dec 2, 2019 (v.1.13)--Bug fixes, less white borders, improved consistency

Special thanks to LegoFigure11 for feedback on the original (and current) theme and Eisenherz for moral support. ^_^

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I like it, complements well with the 13ulb's Dark Theme stylish for PS!

One thing that could be changed is that the highlight glow is still blue on thread titles that are red (not sure why they're red even), making the colors clash weird a bit:

Also if forums marked read could still have the red background, with just the talk bubbles and such grey. It looks so dull with everything being grey.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I like it, complements well with the 13ulb's Dark Theme stylish for PS!

One thing that could be changed is that the highlight glow is still blue on thread titles that are red (not sure why they're red even), making the colors clash weird a bit:

Also if forums marked read could still have the red background, with just the talk bubbles and such grey. It looks so dull with everything being grey.
Thanks, Kala! I see what you mean about the color clashing. The red link indicates an unread thread (ie new post), in the same way the red BG on the forums means it's unread. I kinda like the concept, but maybe a different implementation could get the best of both worlds. Definitely gives me something to work with and I'll keep it mind :)

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v 1.9

Changelog:
Feb 9, 2018
--Fixed twitter embeds (thanks lego!)
--Fixed BG color of alerts list (thanks Kala!)
--BG color of forums is now red all the time. Unread forums marked by bold/yellow balloon
--Changed shade of red for unread threads to make it easier to read
--Modified hover color of unread threads to be a softer white rather than blueish
-- Added support for userlist when making PMs

To update the theme, return to the theme download page and click "update style".

Thanks everyone for your continued use/support/feedback!

Just wanted to say that this looks nice! I just want one thing to change.
Capture.PNG

It will be nice if you change the username text color in the alert section to the same color as the thread color. Since I don't see the usernames very clearly.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v 1.9.1

Changelog:
Feb 13, 2018
--Added support for left/right nav arrow when window too small (ty lego)
--Added support for collapsible side menu

To update the theme, return to the theme download page and click "update style".

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v1.10

Changelog:
Feb 21, 2018
-- Added further support for items when window very small
-- Re-fixed the collapsible side window
-- Added support for users viewing thread
-- Added support for tabs on "what's new" etc pages
-- Fixed username color in forum mods banner
-- Improved support for old html-based post color

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v1.10.1

Changelog:
Feb 25, 2018
-- Reverted changes to old html-based posts since it broke GP colors
-- Altered checkbox color
-- Changed left border color of selected/highlighted items in lists
-- Fixed reply color on "what's new" page

Thanks lego and cofaiclus for pointing these out

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Nice, saw that the latest update fixed some of the other problems I was gonna bring up, but I did find this one: code formatting is pretty unreadable as of now.
Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 10.52.24.png

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v1.10.2

Changelog:
Mar 4, 2018
-- Changed BG color of search error message when words too short
-- Changed BG color of inline code (thanks cofaiclus and kala!)
-- Reworked the colors of embedded code to make it easier to read

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Uploaded a fix for the BG color since the site appears to have changed a bit. Hopefully it's more usable for now :)

Reactions: dom

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Updated to v1.10.4

Changelog:
Mar 18, 2018
-- Dex works again
-- Fixed context display of some articles (since there's no set way to html articles, this will likely break a lot...potentially more than what's worth keeping up with)
-- Fixed colors for article navigation

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
Always nice with an update. However, one of my gripes have been with how the post creator looks like:
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.07.09.png

When you're in BBCode mode, all the buttons that are clickable are grey while those that aren't are red.
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.11.04.png

And it gets even worse while it's toggled off, really confusing when red (or another signal color) is usually used the other way around. I've done the mistake on trying to click on those many times when BBCode is toggled off.

Some other things include:
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.13.42.png

Not sure why the background is white there
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.23.34.png

More white
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.13.57.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 22.14.06.png

Impossible to read when you don't hover over it.

Great job otherwise!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks Kala, noted.

Also, it would appear that Chrome/Firefox is pulling support for Stylish for a breach in their Terms of Use (data collection. Don't have a link, but pretty easy to Google). In the meantime I'll try to find another solution. I've read of a different extension called Stylus which will perform a similar role, so perhaps that could be a workable alternative. Afraid I'm not in a position to determine the solution atm, but hopefully will have something in the next few weeks.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Edit: Oops, ty Blueforce for the heads up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)