Smogon Premier League III - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Ah Folgorio, you're lucky I'm not infracting you for taking my name and posting that; instead I'll just change your name back to Folgorio. inb4 Phil jokes.

Anyway, there are only a few times in Pokemon where a player has a game completely won, and badabing's case is one of them. Yeah, badabing "lost" a game he had 100% in the bag via timeout because his computer's horrible, and now you guys are taking the win. Cool.

McMeghan clearly had the game lost versus badabing; there's no two ways about it - McMeghan himself even admitted badabing had the game won. There was absolutely no possible way he could've won that battle against badabing. McMeghan was essentially defenseless against one of badabing's Pokemon - McMeghan couldn't touch it, and his only defense against said Pokemon was running out of PP to deal with the Pokemon badabing would eventually win with. So unless McMeghan hacked the server to somehow give his Pokemon more PP, he had no chance of winning. badabing was essentially 10 minutes away from winning versus McMeghan had he not timed out, but whatever man. I can honestly tell you if I were in your position, I would have rewarded your team with the win despite the time out rule instead of taking an undeserved win (not sure if Jackal would do the same, but you have my word I would). I'm sure Jackal will have a lot to say about this situation anyway when he sees what happened.

Since this will inevitably come up: before anyone comes up with any idiotic "oh yeah, badabing timed out because The Wolfpack were ghosting him; there's no way McMeghan could lose to him!," comments, just shut up now. If you actually saw the game, you could quickly tell badabing simply had to brainlessly switch between two Pokemon throughout the entire game and waste the PP of the only Pokemon on McMeghan's team that stood a chance of stopping badabing's one Pokemon.

Let's go team, we can still win this; that time out rule really should be re-defined somehow, heh.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok well here are my thoughts: I understand why the timeout rule is there, I am the one who made it. It is to prevent stalling the timer / taking long on every move / to some extent ghosting. It is not there to determine the winner of a battle when one person lags out.

When someone lags out (which is what happened in this case, badabing moved as fast as his computer would let him) then it is to be treated as a disconnect. It is really that simple.

Luckily, we also have protocol in place for how to treat disconnects; I believe that in this situation one of those methods should be employed.

There is a very clear difference between timing out because you took too long and lagging out because you cant physically move. Let's acknowledge that distinction and act accordingly.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I've cleaned what I think is all of the shit out of this thread... don't fill it back up again or I'm going to start handing out infractions.

badabing is being awarded the win for a number of reasons...

I've looked at the log and except for that ridiculous triple scald crit + burn, there is literally no way for him to lose the match. We're talking about a scenario where badabing is like... more likely to be struck by lightning while simultaneously being eaten by a shark and that's how he loses the match than he is by losing it for real.

The other reason is because of the loopholes around DC/timeout rules, once he started lagging and found out he was likely to return (and subsequently time out) instead of just DC'ing... it would have been more advantageous for him to just close out the PO window and fake a DC... because then he would have had the option to replay the match up until the point of DC (if feasible to recreate the scenario), or replay with different teams. Both of these scenarios are more favorable to badabing than just being handed a loss.

Everyone is seriously getting far too caught up in what is and isn't 100% explicitly stated in the rules. SPL has taught us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to account for every single possible variation of potential rulebreaking and we can't have a million subsets of scenarios in the rule page. At some point we have to just use common sense, and common sense to me says badabing wins.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I've had a triple critical happen to me before, which led me to win the battle. No burns during the criticals though.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
for the record, i lost my round 2 match in seattle 2011 to 3 quick claws iron head flinch crits in a row from an escavlier to my chandelure outside of trick room...weirder things have happened.

also congratulating the team raider pirate people on a well played match. we almost had that one =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)