Finals Smogon Premier League X - Finals [Won by the Alpha Ruiners]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to the ruiners on winning a nailbiter of a tour! Lax and Lavos came up clutch down the stretch and the whole team joined together and did great at the end. It's great to see friends on the team get the trophy after a season of hard work.

Last edited:

Gilbert arenas

Rex rhydon
is a Tiering Contributor
Congrats.
2001 Curt Shilling and Randy Johnson like performances are always a pleasure to watch.
Fear our series for callous really inspired me to branch out building wise - Never took the time to thank you for that.
Guess I’m still here till I get a trophy.
Shut up sideline retards. Like seriously, lurk more.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Congrats Ruiners, amazing run by Lavos, it seems unlikely that anyone will match 12 wins. Hiye, Empo great to see you guys with another win under your belt. To the Tyrants, that was an unbelievably dominant season, to have no one under 6 wins for your starters is unbelievable. I think you guys probably deserved the win as well but it is what it is. Amazing group performance and great to see some guys like marcop and troller have breakout tours.

This was an incredibly tight SPL season and I think the most viewed by spectators outside of the Smogon core, thank you for z0m and eo for giving me the nod and ggs to my opps (even though one of you is a stallbaby).

Congrats Ruiners, you guys were a strong contender from the start and kept yourself composed at 3-6 through tiebreak. I'm especially happy for my boys pearl and lavos, major props to you lavos for the historic record and also to lax for closing out with a dominant 4-0 in playoffs as well.

Props to several standout players on Tyrants as well, blunder and joey you guys played more up to your capability than you've done in recent team tours, marcop and troller you guys really proved you can hang with the big boys, poek and emi I can acknowledge the respective 4-0 and 5-0 clutch streaks to close out the tournament. Also hogg respect to you for assembling this roster while not engaging in the toxicity. You're a good guy and I hope you win something one day. This was a really unbearable team to witness but definitely with some potent pokemon players.

This alumn trophy really sucks but oh well. The torch is yours to carry now Ruiners.

~ALPHA RUINED~

After all these years on smogon I finally won something! I also made up for my choke against Jibaku 9 years ago when I was 13 years old! Feels crusty man I know, but who gives a shit, lots of you are gonna be crust in a few years too. I dont want any beef this time, just to post my crusty emo thoughts here.

Some personal prespective first, one year and half ago I had not touched mons a single time for 3 years of inting with annie in league of legends since the end of spl 6, but HANTSUKI was looking for someone to managed with him and I said sure why not, I was in a fuckin shit place irl and really needed to ocupy my mind with new things. I wasnt sure if I was gonna get accepted but I missed being involved and shit so I was comitted to being active and helping everyone any way I could. Turns out I didnt get accepted, wich made me a little upset but it was fine considering all things, I was still comitted to it already and we got a free dekzeh help as result as well. I didnt really care about the pixel in my profile then so I did all sorts of draft prep and scouts and all.

SPL 9 ruiners was a great team, we came back from being 9th place all the way up to 4th, but fell short in semifinals. I myself barely even played mons back there and was just there for the presence and scouting, but we had it all: skill, synergy, motivation, spirit, memes, undisputed carrying our assess, motivational speeches and all. It was a great team and I'm glad to have been part of it. Unfortunate that it didnt go all the way.

However, it was the birth of something even bigger. Some young players that we picked for a cheap price climbed up the smogon ladder with their skill and became the freest retains ever. That would be Empo, Lax and Hiye. And also, our managers who were playing with us last year as well, Chill Shadow and snaga.

Getting drafted was a surprise to me, because after I came back to mons my pokemon achievements during the year was just doing well in stour and doing very well in brazilian team tours (wich people here call untours but I take them very seriously). I had the manager and the crust experience, but as an actual player, I went from being hardstuck at 78 GXE during olt + going undrafted in discordpl, to almost qualifying in stour and catching the eyes of managers to make it into SPL, all in just around 6 months. It was a crazy rise to me, I didnt see myself as an actual player anymore, but I was very glad to be drafted and I really liked our roster when I saw it. I didn't think it was the single best roster in the tour at first glance, but I knew it was a strong playoff contender and we had good chances.

The season went by, and the struggles people mentioned in the smogcast showed big. The team was very top heavy. The top players in the team put up eye-popping performaces and the weaker slots were struggling to grab some wins (wich isnt insulting at all, its completely normal to struggle in a tour so big like this). We were going strong in the top 4 positions, but really worried about our issues.

I was slotted in BW who I thought it was my worst tier of all tour tiers when I joined (I had a whooping 2 points in bw during the season) but I was comitted into learning the new meta and doing my best. I got owned in the beginning (tho I got two very unlucky games where I think I was in a good spot to win) and had a 1-5 start in the regular season. I was feeling real bad about my record but I really wasnt playing too terribly and the management kept their trust on me for playoffs, where my commitment to git gud finally payed off and with more confidence on my playing ability and stronger teambuilding help instead of cheesing, I was able to win both playoff games, and I was really happy about it.

We stood strong and prepped like we never did in both semis and finals and managed to take down the scooters in a insane tiebreak, where Lax stood the fuck up and beat the infamous Ben Gay while Lavos took down Ojama in his own tier in a 2-1 tiebreak victory. And a week after, we managed to come back from a 3-6 deficit to tie it up and overcome the +30 BD Tyrants and beating their main carry blunder in a 2-0 tiebreak victory.

Against all odds, we won this trophy, and I cant fucking believe we actually did it. It still hasnt fully hit.

Now onto my individual shoutouts. Yeah I know they're corny and all but we won it all so I dont give a fuck I'll say what I have to say.

Chill Shadow and snaga - Again, thanks for letting me be part of this. I wasn't expecting to be picked and was ready to reinstall league. Despite the 3rd place memes you guys did what managers are supposed to do. Managing skill does not equal pokemon skill and this is a mistake many people make when judging. Good drafting, good supporting throughout the season, good dialogue with the players, good chat presences, nothing to be asked more of a manager.

Lavos - Do I even have to say anything? I really dont, but you like when people gas you so. Main carry of the team, 12-1 best record of all time, main leader of the team, best player of the season. And an absolute madlad on top of that. You are always very honest to people and I appreciate that, even if its being mean for a good intent, non-destructive way. You had an immense desire to win the tournament and quite literally made it happen. You've come a long way too, a living proof that hard work pays off. Thanks for still believing in me and giving me great feedback when I was struggling too. U Got That.

lax - The absolute hero of the season. I will say I was not expecting you to win against ben gay because ben is too fucking good but I was praying. And you fuckin did it. Beasted hard in playoffs and in tiebreak both times, and finished it off beating the best OU record in the season to close it out when you arent even an OU main yourself. You stepped up when we need it and showed up big. Your courage and confidence is absolutely huge. Its not fair to call you just a good player anymore, you're a real top dog and I hope you win an individual trophy soon if you so desire.

Pearl - I've known you for a long time, and I didnt know how much you wanted to win this tour until now, to me you were just a cool dude that had a mean ap kog maw and enjoyed anime songs. But I got to know that you have an admirable passion for this game and displayed an extremely strong desire to win it all season long, and I respect that a lot. The unfortunate games at the end of the season are no justice to how skilled you are at pokemon, you had some really jaw-dropping performaces during the tour and I dont expect you to stop with them if you keep playing. Your preaching of wholesomeness comes from your nature, its evident that you're a great person that wants the best for people and everyone around you knows that, while not apologetic of misbehaviors either, as it should be. I was very glad I got to team with you once and well we fucking won dood.

Jimmy Turtwig - Not a big prepping guy, but a very solid player. You delivered exactly what people expected of you: a solid season and solid input into all the old gens prep. Definitely a main stay in the club of top players if you keep doing what you do. I dont know you too well to be honest because idt I've ever spoken to you before this tour, but I can say what I've seen: built solid dpp teams, great playing ability, positive atitude, you will win an individual trophy at some point.

Empo - lol kek dude. Another extremely nice guy to work with. Vro how many test games we've played this season? 8 billion? but they were all worth it. I love your hyperproactive playstyle and approach to the game, I've never seen someone play so well with offense as you, playing against it is so fucking suffocating. If you improve in a few things such as team selection and endgaming, you'll be fucking unstoppable. And you have such a pleasant personality and a super strong desire to win. It was your first season as a season-long starter and you did good, what a clutch win against blunder that gave us all the gas we needed to run through it all. And you'll do much better in the next team tours for sure.

Hiye - Really the hiye. I'm not gonna say what you hear every team tour "wish you've talked more blabla". You are free to talk as many as you wish. I think you are a good player and you didnt play as well as you could in most games of the regular season, but you showed your true self in playoffs and saved our season twice. Thanks for bringing us the wins we really needed and keep being you, im glad that we picked you up last year and that I got to team up with you again. Keep being you buddy, I wouldn't bully you so much in wg if I didn't like you.

Croven - Really chill guy to be around, and has a great approach to the game. You've had some insane performaces and I saw your growth as a player from last year at first hand, and you havent reached your ceiling yet, I think you can be even better. I wouldnt pick anyone else for doubles lol (although I actually don't have experience teaming with any other doubles player kek). You're also a role model for prepping. Rough games at the end but looking at them alone is no justice to how well you've played all season. We didn't choose doubles against Scooters for no reason. Shake it off and keep being a beast.

FriendOfMrGolem120 - A contender for the nicest guy in the planet, extreme genuine guy. A playstyle to impress many people. You're not afraid to pull any triggers and that is a very good thing. Good preparation, good overall record in a tier that wasn't even your main. Some rough games happened but for your first tour your did very well for sure. I'm really glad I got to be your teammate. You will do more great things in pokemon if you keep up what you're doing for sure.

eden's embrace - You were so busy in real life it ended up compromising the spl experience, but shit happens. We've teamed in brpl before and now you got a real taste of what the biggest pokemon tournament there is looks like, and if you keep playing this game it will be an unvaluable experience to help you grow. Keep the positive atitude and work on overcoming your nerves and in being more brave, and you'll reach a new level as a player and person. You are a very nice human being and I'll be rooting for you in whatever you do bud.

passion - I understand it really sucked not to have a good performace when you wanted to be picked for a big team tour for so long. It also drained you out a lot, but even then you kept going hard until the end. I was hoping so hard that you would do very well, but you didnt and thats okay, I really didnt either, the biggest pokemon tournament was never meant to be easy and there is no reason to be negative about it. A clear positive here is that you were an unvaluable team presence regardless of performace and your chat would be way less vivid without you, wich I expected when you picked you up. Everyone that is close to you knows how good of a friend you are, wholesome and funny at the same time and just amazing to talk with about anything. You arent admired by many for no reason. I wish you the absolute best in whatever you do and I hope we stay friends for a long time.

imsosorrylol - Just like above, I know it sucks to go out like that meowstic game when you got an opportunity to do super well. But your record is no justice to how good of a team presence you are. I had the complete wrong idea of you before I got to know you better here, because I thought you were just another idiot that liked to spammed the n word and act gangster but you are actually really chill. You took the responsibility of filling in a tier you werent knowledgeable at before and you never gave up. and was a great teammate overall. Experiences like these will make you a much better player in the long run. Also a great chat presence, you should invest more into that rapping because you unironically spit fire.

qsns - I could just talk about how you and croven are such a great duo and your building support made him so strong yadda yadda you already know that. Watching croven's games is such a brain fuck because I really dont understand anything that's going on, you are the one who made it fun to do so. Really chill chat presence as well, you had me worried with that uni thing dude. Calling you just a support would be disrespectful to how skilled and capable you are, I have no doubt that you will do extremely well if you happen to start in future team tours.

Hyogafodex - You are one of my best friends I've made since I came back, supported me so much when I was struggling with anything mons related or not, you're just so chill and nice I just love talking to you about anything. Your record does no justice to your capabilities as a player either, I think you're much better than what you've shown and its partly due to sheer inexperience. This was your first really big tournament and if you keep playing you will do great things in this game I have no doubt about it.

Luigi - I wish you grabbed some wins as a starter. If we're being honest you didn't really help people much in game preparations, but a great chat presence nonetheless. People don't really know how hilarious you are in a chat setting. Maybe its the effect of slowbro mentality. Or excessive bodyweight.

RedEmption - Thanks for coming to test and stuff when you could especially in the later weeks, I also feel like your games do no justice to your ceiling, you are certainly much better than what you've shown. Just wish you'd have been more active and interacted with us more, that's all, but each has it's on motives to do what they do. Good luck in your future endeavors and keep up the amazing youtube channel.

undisputed Kory2600 Jytcampbell - Thanks a lot for helping us during the season even if yall weren't in the roster. It's a respectful genuine act to do so and the team would certainly not be the same without you three, especially the first two who were the OG ruiners who stood with us giving their advices everywhere they had something to say. Thanks alot for the people who helped past playoffs too and buffed our team preparation by a substantial margin. Sabella dice in semis Finchinator in finals z0mOG TDK ABR in tiebreak.

My non ruiner shotouts:

EQ, NG, WG and Baril who are chats I enjoy talking in and make the mons experience better for me. Would be boring otherwise.

All of pokefrontier and neworigin people that were rooting for me to win my games. I really appreciate it.

Sand Castle and Caasi for one billion bw test games. Special one to Caasi for being a sweetheart and supporting me during the whole tour, also one of my best friends on this place. Seasonal finals in the first time playing bw ever that was something to be proud of, and I think you coulda won finals if you prepped better you lazy fatfuck. Thanks for being there for me so much.

Eternal Spirit mncmt and Nintendi for helping our players and giving sound advice from outside the channel as well, and a special thanks to the last two for gassing me up a lot when I needed it. I also wanna highlight that nintendi is a nice person and massively misunderstood.

And hey, also one shoutout for Juuls for giving me his version of menci 's team, wich I posted in the ruiners channel a week ago and it ended up winning us the final game for the trophy. Great team.

If you didn't die of diabetes of all the sweet things I've said, I will say that I think it's important to highlight the qualities of each person I interacted with in this ride, and absolutely I stand by this post, because my words are coming from the heart and not some fake happy shit for the likes.

There were ups and downs and many moments where I was really mad at things. It was emotionally exausting at many points and felt like not caring anymore, only to come back and care again. It certainly wasnt heaven. But it was all worth it, winning it all just completes the ride. I did what I could inside my limits to make this happen, and my teammates did theirs too in their own way.

Where will I personally go from here? I really don't know. maybe I'll just quit again after world cup, maybe I'll keep playing and pushing myself to get better at mons. I'm just so old in this game and the best I've been is to be an average tour player, but it's been a core part of my entire youth for sure. I'll do whatever I feel like doing, but what I'll never do is forget what we did this year. No other mons experience was this huge. This was it. And it's over.

That's all folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)