Smogon Premier League XIV - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should you pick me to be apart of your SPL Team I'll give you all the reasons why.

1: I can make shifty edited meme gifs on my phone about the outcome of our matches.

2: I have made reqs to vote on a suspect test before... yeah that's right, I'm the best.

3: I have made it out of pools in an OU Tournament before so like I'm not an 0-2er

4: When I have like 2 and a half beers in me, I'm the smartest player to ever touch the game. When I have 3 or more I'm the dumbest, so like I'll add entertainment.

5: No one knows who the fuck I am, so they'll never see me coming.

6: I will listen to whatever you tell me.

7: Finally 7, it'll be the ultimate underdog story to have an unknown come in and win the tourney for you guys, think of the content that could be made. *cough cough, Joey, Freezai Cough Cough*

So altogether, why should you pick me? Because:

20230102_221759.gif

Ok it's time to shout out the sleeper ADVers who should be in the tour. Shout out Iguana for bringing this up.

1) airports. Anyone who's played ADV ladder for longer than a couple of years will remember airports consistently clowning everyone while only using one team. He has come a long way since then and now uses more than one team. He played well in ADVPL and to be quite honest deserved more starting games than he got.

17) Shitrock enjoyer (aka fruhdazi) This kid is the real fucking deal. While he hasn't been on smogon as much, he's torn apart the competition in both ADV league and in the Pokémon Perfect ADV scene this year, winning solo tours and the end of season championships. The only reason he didn't get CI is that he was too low key and people didn't start paying attention until it was too late. If you draft this guy you're in for a treat, he will give it everything and build teams that he will destroy with.

3) giraffefromholland. This guy is good support across tiers and built exclusively for PkLeech, who went deep into his first Callous Invitational from the play ins. Even if you don't buy the guy, get him in a server as a builder/support guy and you've improved your odds immediately.

4) THE918th. Get this guy for 3k and he'll come off your bench and clutch a game. Tidy player for the big occasions.

5) ZacPZ. BO1 demon and all around good guy.

People not to draft

1) Triangles. Fuck that guy.

Last edited:

@finchnater how you could let this occcur…

This entire tour is now a farce… i am revoking my spl signup in solidarity with the MAJORIty of Real Voters who see the Truth… Tera MUST be ban.

and to Finchinater… I now speak directly to u: u MUST use ur executive authority to over throw the Smogon tier democracy and rule over SMOGON with iron fist…as the sole leader of the OU junta… to ban Tera and restore Orderand legitimacy to this tournament…

then… and only then… shall I reconsider… my offer to participate

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If you are interested in contributing to the SPL Power Rankings article and will have time during the days directly following the auction -- and specifically those days, feel free to let me know via this form!

I am NOT going to be able to work with everyone and I am letting people know this up-front as this article requires very particular execution, so please do not come in with any expectations as there will be thorough vetting and limited spots to help. I do want to thank everyone for their interest in advance and I am looking forward to this being the best possible article for the tournament.

Have a nice tournament everyone. Please remember to treat our hosts and other thankless contributors with respect rather than incoherent rants and whatever the hell happened tonight in the STours discord, thank you.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
Ok it's time to shout out the sleeper ADVers who should be in the tour. Shout out Iguana for bringing this up.

1) airports. Anyone who's played ADV ladder for longer than a couple of years will remember airports consistently clowning everyone while only using one team. He has come a long way since then and now uses more than one team. He played well in ADVPL and to be quite honest deserved more starting games than he got.

17) Shitrock enjoyer (aka fruhdazi) This kid is the real fucking deal. While he hasn't been on smogon as much, he's torn apart the competition in both ADV league and in the Pokémon Perfect ADV scene this year, winning solo tours and the end of season championships. The only reason he didn't get CI is that he was too low key and people didn't start paying attention until it was too late. If you draft this guy you're in for a treat, he will give it everything and build teams that he will destroy with.

3) giraffefromholland. This guy is good support across tiers and built exclusively for PkLeech, who went deep into his first Callous Invitational from the play ins. Even if you don't buy the guy, get him in a server as a builder/support guy and you've improved your odds immediately.

4) THE918th. Get this guy for 3k and he'll come off your bench and clutch a game. Tidy player for the big occasions.

5) ZacPZ. BO1 demon and all around good guy.

People not to draft

1) Triangles. Fuck that guy.
Fruhdazi has the knowledge and ability, but im unsure of their big stage execution. Gives me Teclis vibes, except they havent had the chance to prove themselves yet. One of those murky 50/50 cases.

Speaking of 50/50s, airports is another one. Super big fan of this wild man despite the memes at his expense. Loved running into him on ladder because you just know you were about to experience something MINDBLOWING.

However, while he has that edge in both playstyle and attitude, his lack of consistency might be his biggest "red flag". It can work well for a team that utilizes this "shortcoming" accordingly, but buying this man as a starter would be big balls territory (albeit great entertainment for the spectators)

P.S. more teams need to employ that strat into their drafting plans. i.e. budgeting for curve ball trainers you can call on in a pinch to clutch a win in wild, unpredictable fashion. #F*ckYourPrep energy

Last edited:
Fruhdazi has the knowledge and ability, but im unsure of their big stage execution. Gives me Teclis vibes, except they havent had the chance to prove themselves yet. One of those murky 50/50 cases.

Speaking of 50/50s, airports is another one. Super big fan of this wild man despite the memes at his expense. Loved running into him on ladder because you just know you were about to experience something MINDBLOWING.

However, while he has that edge in both playstyle and attitude, his lack of consistency might be his biggest "red flag". It can work well for a team that utilizes this "shortcoming" accordingly, but buying this man as a starter would be big balls territory (albeit great entertainment for the spectators)

P.S. more teams need to employ that strat into their drafting plans. i.e. budgeting for curve ball trainers you can call on in a pinch to clutch a win in wild, unpredictable fashion. #F*ckYourPrep energy
Check daz's PP championships replays from this year, not the stage it once was but he's shown everything he can until he gets drafted for something like this IMO.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
Check daz's PP championships replays from this year, not the stage it once was but he's shown everything he can until he gets drafted for something like this IMO.
not disagreeing.

but until we see the SPL/CI performances all of that just sounds cute.

NBA player Patrick Beverly averaged 37pts with 8/6/6 Stls/Assts/Reb PER GAME

in high school.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
For SV OU players, there will be a vote on prospective quickbans this weekend that will take effect well before week one of the tournament.

I do not know what Pokemon (or how many — guess is 1-3 total) will be banned yet as the vote has not occurred, but we want everyone to be ready for the tournament to begin a week after the auction, so we will be mindful of this. Thanks, and enjoy the auction this weekend.

For SV OU players, there will be a vote on prospective quickbans this weekend that will take effect well before week one of the tournament.

I do not know what Pokemon (or how many — guess is 1-3 total) will be banned yet as the vote has not occurred, but we want everyone to be ready for the tournament to begin a week after the auction, so we will be mindful of this. Thanks, and enjoy the auction this weekend.
Yo, what about an agreement between the players to use the Tera or not during their SV games? Sounds like a good idea

mkizzy

formerly kenny
Draft me. Every championship winning team needs an internal punching bag to keep things tight. Allow me to be your team's 3k punching bag. Target me with verbal abuse, destroy me with funny teams in classic gens for confidence boosts, and create memes at my expense. I'm a man. I can take it. Don't draft some head case for cheap at the chance that they'll put it together, it won't be worth playing babysitter. Draft the safe option with negative ego who adds intangible value to the team. Pic related. Thanks for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)