Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - February 2009

Hard to believe that people are using first stage pokemon in Ubers, maybe those are the shoddy battle players who don't take battling seriously. It also seems to me that Scizor is at its prime in the OU metagame at the present. Great job as always Doug!

Edit: Metagross leads are number 1 as well, seems trick is becoming more popular nowadays.

Uxie is 37 on the suspect ladder! That means it's OU! I'm quite certain Legacy Raider's set is to blame (or thank) for that, and I've used it to amazing success. I really hope he makes it to OU on the standard ladder.

Thank you very much Doug!

24) Ho-oh (+7)
there have been *allot* of Ho-oh this month

Yes, helped bring ho oh up 7 spots, hopefully it gets a lot more usage, it really is amazing, its not that big a suprise with all the forry's running around too

edit: seems other people are also using it, I'm pretty sure I was the only LO user, thought I was half it's usage

I am quite surprised that Latios is absolutely tearing up the suspect ladder in terms of usage right now. I expected that something else would get more usage, but maybe Latios just seems that good to a lot of people.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
24) Ho-oh (+7)
there have been *allot* of Ho-oh this month

Yes, helped bring ho oh up 7 spots, hopefully it gets a lot more usage, it really is amazing, its not that big a suprise with all the forry's running around too

edit: seems other people are also using it, I'm pretty sure I was the only LO user, thought I was half it's usage
Yeah, the great thing about Ho-oh is that most people don't prepare for it at all. People are really turned off by its 4x Stealth Rock weakness, but Ho-oh happens to be a great partner to Forretress, spining away the Stealth Rock and letting Ho-oh become a terror. In the sunlight, Scarf Palkia's surf can only 3 hit KO Ho-oh at best, and Ho-oh can easily out stall it with Roost thanks to Preassure. Ho-oh's increadible Special Defense and Attack make it increadbly hard to beat when paired with Forrtress, I'm really shocked it didn't rise up to an even higher place!

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Doug, you are better than... I don't even know. Something really awesome.

Parasect is number 29, I'm so proud
Metagross is number 1 (in leads, #5 in overall usage), I'm so proud :P.

I'm suprised it took donphan this long to drop out of the top 50.

EDIT: Thanks doug!

^^^^ Yeah, but seriously, it really was you who started that Metagross lead phemonenom. Everyone saw your RMT and were like "omg wow thats intense, I use that now."

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doug gets my monthly "Thank you, you're awesome" from me right now.

And something kind of sad came up on my radar here, nothing really important, but it feels wrong that Meganium is the only starter that would make NU.

I'm surprised as anyone at Umbreon being in the top 50, I know it's not to OU standards, but something I almost never seem to come across making it this high is still amazing to me.

And I can't be the only one who isn't surprised that Electivire isn't falling... Mixed Electivire can be a pain to deal with, almost impossible to switch in anything safely if it grabs a Motor Drive boost.

Last thing for now: I'm surprised Infernape has held at 6 with Latias around.. However I only expected it to fall to 8 or 9, as it is still a great lead. The only problem I ever have leading with it is if I want to deal with opposing Sash-leads with Fake Out or Hippowdon and Swampert with Grass Knot.

Doug gets my monthly "Thank you, you're awesome" from me right now.

And something kind of sad came up on my radar here, nothing really important, but it feels wrong that Meganium is the only starter that would make NU.
Charizard is hovering on the border between UU and NU (it was just about NU last month, and just about UU this month), so he could be NU when the ladder starts for it this time next month, but it mostly depends on what the stats are for this month.

And, at the end of the day, 'starter' is just a label given to a Pokemon for its in-game status. The same goes for 'NFE' and 'legendary'. These labels mean nothing in terms of competitive battling, so it seems sort of strange, but there's nothing wrong with it really.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah.. It's the nostalgia side of me feeling bad about it, I loved Meganium. I doubt Charizard will dip back down into NU though, the fact that it has Belly Drum and pretty good speed should give it enough popularity to stay on the low end of UU.

I would like to take this moment to dispel any rumours that this is happening. I don't know where you heard this, but I know for a fact that this is 100% false
Oh, sorry. Yeah I heard others saying it, but I won't spread this rumour then. Do we not know when the ladder will actually start then?

Do we not know when the ladder will actually start then?
That is correct. I would hope (Read: We haven't talked about it yet) that we start it right after we finish the UU Suspects after how ever many rounds it will take, but again, I don't know.

Thanks RB Golbat. :)

Anyway, back to stats, I just thought I'd compare Blissey and Chansey's move stats, as a lot were arguing about whether Chansey would be 'Blissey-lite' or not, and whether it'd need its own analysis.

I'll be posting this in the following format: Move - Blissey's % - Chansey's %

Softboiled - 73% - 38%
Seismic Toss - 56% - 91%
Thunderwave - 43% - 20%
Toxic - 38% - 42%
Aromatherapy - 35% - 32%
Ice Beam - 32% - <5%
Wish - 30% - 66%
Flamethrower - 27% - <5%
Protect - 26% - 61%
Stealth Rock - 9% - 22%
Thunderbolt - 7% - <5%
Counter - 6% - <5%
Sunny Day - <3% - 5%

I'll let everybody else decide for themselves what these statistics say, but I think they're surprisingly different. These 2 Pokemon have almost identical stat distributions, and almost identical movepools. The only difference is the environment they battle in, and, I guess it's worth noting that whilst most of Chansey's stats are only marginally lower than Blissey's making it only a tad weaker in most areas, its Special Attack is quite significantly lower, hence, Chansey's lack of Ice Beam and Flamethrower, and its abundance of Seismic Toss, although I think Seismic Toss on Chansey would be popular even if it had base 75 Special Attack due to Raikou.

Softboiled - 73% - 38%
Wish - 30% - 66%
Everything else looks more or less expected though I'm wondering why Chanseys are favouring Wish over Softboiled. I guess it goes with its team supporting abilities and since OU hits harder Blissey would rather have softboiled then stall for another turn.

I also like to comment on the increased use of sandstream pokemon over the previous month. With this month having 84 "OU" UU pokemon Regirock moved up while Hippopotas, Cradily and Shuckle all moved into "OU" territory. Abomasnow interestingly remained constant this month while Snover was no where to be seen.

Also NFE are rarely seen with only Chansey, Scyther and Porygon2 cracking "OU". Rhydon is next at 93, Magneton is at 98, Gligar at 99 and Pikachu (who was used more than Raichu) at 116. While most are outclassed there are a few gems scattered around. I can see NFE rocking NU, when ever it is made or being banned because people forgot about them in UU.

I think some people are confused as to how the OU UUs are determined. We had the same last month, with a bunch of people saying there were 77, and a few of us saying there was only over 50. Using the formula from the PR, we get 56 OUs for this month, meaning Scyther, Porygon 2 and Hippopotas aren't OU UUs. Infact, even Mespirit and Regice aren't!

Wow, just realized that some people have both healing moves on their Chansey/Blissey. That's interesting.

I thought the diversity numbers determined OU.
No, you total all the usages, multiply them by something to the power of 0.05 and divide by 6 or something like that. Some other guy earlier in the thread did it and got the same answer as me too. I think the thread the formula was in was entitled something like 'In a bit of a quandry about how to calculate OU next month' and is in The Policy Review.

So, are Yanmega and Rotom-w out of OU?
And wow, Umbreon's in. Kewl. Slowbro and Porygon2 are sooooo close.

So, are Yanmega and Rotom-w out of OU?
And wow, Umbreon's in. Kewl. Slowbro and Porygon2 are sooooo close.
Well, in terms of February, Yanmega wasn't OU, but it won't be officially out of OU until the official new set of tier lists are made, next month. And ofcourse, Yanmega's usage could still rise in March, keeping it in OU.

And the Rotoms are classified as one Pokemon, so whilst Rotom-W is not OU in terms of February's usage, the 5 Rotoms are considered as 1 (Rotom-A), so it is OU, if that makes any sense. And again, it's official tier placing will be determined in April.

Same goes for Umbreon, Slowbro and Porygon 2. Except, with Porygon 2 and Umbreon, they sort of borderline OU, UU AND NU all at the same time, so who knows where they'll actually end up!

A look at how the rankings changed this month in UU. I'm looking at the top 56 UU pokemon, the current "OU" of UU.

Froslass (+6)
Steelix (+4)
Mismagius (+9)
Clefable (+5)
Roserade (+3)

Shaymin (-3)
Claydol (+6)
Staraptor (-4)
Arcanine (+12)
Raikou (-9)
Crobat (+2)
Slowbro (+6)
Azumarill (+3)

Registeel (-12)
Gallade (-5)
Milotic (-11)

Uxie (+3)
Ambipom (+1)

Spiritomb (-8)
Hitmontop (-3)
Blaziken (-6)

Honchkrow (+13)
Abomasnow (=0)
Chansey (+3)
Drapion (-3)
Typhlosion (+2)
Venusaur (+10)
Hariyama (+1)
Toxicroak (+13)
Blastoise (+8)

Walrein (-1)
Absol (+8)
Espeon (+8)
Kabutops (+13)
Magmortar (+9)
Altaria (+19)
Swellow (+2)

Ludicolo (-4)
Regirock (+11)
Rotom (-7)
Moltres (-9)
Houndoom (-11)
Feraligatr (-19)

Lanturn (+4)
Nidoking (+8)

Umbreon (-10)
Weezing (+9)
Torterra (-22)
Smeargle (New)
Nidoqueen (-25)
Electrode (New)
Sceptile (-7)
Miltank (-7)

Charizard (New)
Gardevoir (New)

Medicham (-7)
---------------------------OU cutoff
Mesprit (Out)
Regice (Out)

---------------------------Gap in usage
Hitmonlee (Out)
---------------------------Gap in usage
Glaceon (Out)

Big Winners

Altaria (+19)
Honchkrow (+13)
Toxicroak (+13)
Kabutops (+13)
Arcanine (+12)
Regirock (+11)
Venusaur (+10)

Big Losers

Nidoqueen (-25)
Torterra (-22)
Feraligatr (-19)
Registeel (-12)
Houndoom (-11)
Milotic (-11)
Umbreon (-10)

Interesting. Looks like people realized that Houndoom is easy to counter, Nidoqueen and Umbreon are a bit one-dimensional, and Torterra and Feraligatr just don't have the sweeping power they need. Apparently Steelix supplanted Registeel as Steel-type of choice, possibly for phazing ability or higher physical stats. Milotic is a nice wall, but it's just not that great.

Meanwhile, it seems UU's only Dragon type is rising. Having only two resists in the metagame is quite nice, I suppose. Honchkrow, Kabutops, Toxicroak, and Arcanine have powerful priority moves and good attacking ability, which is probably helping their rise. Regirock has...well, I don't know what it has, but apparently people like it, and Venusaur is a fairly solid pokemon, I suppose.

Yeah, the great thing about Ho-oh is that most people don't prepare for it at all. People are really turned off by its 4x Stealth Rock weakness, but Ho-oh happens to be a great partner to Forretress, spining away the Stealth Rock and letting Ho-oh become a terror. In the sunlight, Scarf Palkia's surf can only 3 hit KO Ho-oh at best, and Ho-oh can easily out stall it with Roost thanks to Preassure. Ho-oh's increadible Special Defense and Attack make it increadbly hard to beat when paired with Forrtress, I'm really shocked it didn't rise up to an even higher place!

actually LO spacial rend 3hkos too, 40-47%, also I bet people just can't find a place for forretress or would rather use rayquaza, or maybe they just don't know how good it is, with life orb and sun, sacred fire 2hkos 252hp/252 def bold lugia

Regirock (+11)
Woo-hoo!

Ahem, sorry about that...
Now that Regirock is in UU, people are actually using it! I remember when I was using one on my first OU sandstorm team and people were like, "That thing can T-WAVE!?" or "Whoa, CC didn't KO?" and my favorite, "The problem with Regirock is Bullet Punch." Ol' Boulda Boy is getting some attention now...

...although, I doubt it'll ever be OU. Stupid Rhyperior and Tyranitar and their higher Attack...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)