Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

What I like to do is go to a mon’s dex page. For example, here is the page for dpp Floatzel. You can see what tier it was in from there as I’m sure you can see. You can even click that tier to see what other mons were there that gen.

Also, if you go to the team builder on ps and put the format as an older gen and go to add a mon, they will be listed by tier if you like having that handy right in the teambuilder.
Yeah that would be their current tier placement, but thanks.
Piggy backing off of fanyfan's post, you can use the Wayback Machine to see instances of Smogon's webpage from all the way back to 2005. Just put in Smogon.com and it'll show you all the snapshots it has for the site. I scoured around a bit in there and found a screen from July 4th 2008 showing Floatzel in BL in DP. Not exactly sure if this is any help to you, but here it is:

As an aside, its quite fun to look around Smogon's old layouts and see how the site used to be. Some neat stuff hiding around in there!
Thanks so much! This is really helpful. It's so interesting to go back and be reminded of how things were way back in the day

How do I edit my signature? Since the last time I used this forum nearly two years ago, my signature has become extremely outdated and I would like to edit it.

chimp

Link Together With All
How do I edit my signature? Since the last time I used this forum nearly two years ago, my signature has become extremely outdated and I would like to edit it.
Click on your name at the top right of the screen. A drop down menu should appear with different options in it. Next to 'Account Details' is a button for 'Signature.' This should let you edit your signature.

Does anyone know how to insert sprites into posts/messages? Pokemon, eggs, balls, items, etc. I used to put them in my posts but I haven't been here in a while and forgot how... ><

Kalalokki

cat im a hissy cat and i snek snek snek
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Visual Media Head
Does anyone know how to insert sprites into posts/messages? Pokemon, eggs, balls, items, etc. I used to put them in my posts but I haven't been here in a while and forgot how... ><
An easier way to add Pokemon sprites and minisprites to posts was added, which hopefully should make life easier for you guys when posting RMTs and VR threads and the like.

For example, :bulbasaur: adds Bulbasaur's minisprite to your post: :bulbasaur:

whereas prefixing it with a generation's two-letter code adds that generation's full-size sprite / 3D model. E.g. :dp/bulbasaur: inserts Bulbasaur's DPP sprite, and :sm/bulbasaur: adds its SM model.

:dp/bulbasaur: :sm/bulbasaur:

Further tweaks / optimisations may be made to this feature, but it's currently functional enough for you all to use, so hf with it.

How would this work if we wanted 2d black and white sprites of mons that came in the 3d era?

For example, Ribombee has a 2d sprite on showdown when you click the "Use BW sprites instead of XY models", but when I write :bw/ribombee: I don't get a sprite on smogon

Why does it say that Onix is the only Rock/Ground pokémon in RB UU, even though Graveler and Golem are also in UU and are also Rock/Ground?
And why is Golem only UU in RBY? In https://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/pokemon/onix/ it says "don't even try using it in OU, where it is completely outclassed by Golem." Isn't that contradictory? Not only that, but many people think that it should be OU, including myself.
It's most likely because the entry for Onix was written before Golem dropped to UU. Golem dropped to UU because more people were using Rhydon instead.

Ruft

Yohohoho
is a Pre-Contributor
But I'm pretty sure that it's been a while, why aren't they fixing it? Also, imo Golem can't be UU because it's just too good for that tier.
Past generation analyses are often very old and aren't updated often, especially very niche Pokemon like RBY Onix.
Golem isn't too good for UU at all, it is regarded as B rank on the viability rankings. Just because something has a niche in OU doesn't mean it's too good for UU.

Question: in a lot of Pokémon’s sets and guides for SS OU, they talk about dynomaxing despite it being banned in OU, why is that? To clarify, I’m not asking why it’s banned but why do the Pokémon strategies talk about the Pokémon dynomaxing (ex: Gyarados talks about using dynomaxing for max airstreams speed boost).

Ruft

Yohohoho
is a Pre-Contributor
Question: in a lot of Pokémon’s sets and guides for SS OU, they talk about dynomaxing despite it being banned in OU, why is that? To clarify, I’m not asking why it’s banned but why do the Pokémon strategies talk about the Pokémon dynomaxing (ex: Gyarados talks about using dynomaxing for max airstreams speed boost).
That's because most of the preliminary analyses were written before Dynamax was banned.
Full analyses are being worked on now. These will replace the former and will have no mention of Dynamax.

If I change my name on smogon (cant rn but in the future) and I want to chose a name that is free on smogon forums but already taken on pokemon showdown what happens if I wanna play on smogtours? Can I play under my old voiced account or should I make a new one that is similar to the new smogon name. Or something else?

If I change my name on smogon (cant rn but in the future) and I want to chose a name that is free on smogon forums but already taken on pokemon showdown what happens if I wanna play on smogtours? Can I play under my old voiced account or should I make a new one that is similar to the new smogon name. Or something else?
you name on here doesn't have to be the same one on PS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)