Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Light Sanctity

Delelele wooooop!
is a Live Chat Contributor
Hello everyone. Brand new to smogon. Apologies if this is the incorrect place to post. Looking for assistance in getting started. Been playing wifi battles for a few months now and looking to improve my game.
This is okay and welcome! Is there a particular format you are interested in. I would suggest joining the official Discord server as it has many users who can help you out or point you to a different Discord. official server
*shame less edit haha

Is it intentional that unbadged users can't open files in PR? it's especially annoying cause u can't open images to see the high quality versions.

This is the highest quality you can get without a badge:

Lilburr

oíche shamhna shona duit!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is it intentional that unbadged users can't open files in PR? it's especially annoying cause u can't open images to see the high quality versions.

This is the highest quality you can get without a badge:
I just took this screenshot while not actually being logged into the site (i.e. unbadged) and the quality was fine.

Are you sure your browser's not acting up? Maybe try clearing cache/cookies etc and see if that works?

I just took this screenshot while not actually being logged into the site (i.e. unbadged) and the quality was fine.

Are you sure your browser's not acting up? Maybe try clearing cache/cookies etc and see if that works?
I think its actually a mobile issue. Went on desktop and was able to see hq thumbnails and zoom in and stuff. Whereas on mobile in PR I'm unable to see the high quality versions of images - this goes for other threads too in that forum.

However, in other forums where I lack posting privileges like smogons greatest hits, I'm still able to view full quality images on mobile and click on pics and stuff without getting a permissions error.

Might be an issue with the forum software, idk.

Kalalokki

i have obtained dem leaks
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Social Media Head
I think its actually a mobile issue. Went on desktop and was able to see hq thumbnails and zoom in and stuff. Whereas on mobile in PR I'm unable to see the high quality versions of images - this goes for other threads too in that forum.

However, in other forums where I lack posting privileges like smogons greatest hits, I'm still able to view full quality images on mobile and click on pics and stuff without getting a permissions error.

Might be an issue with the forum software, idk.
It was an issue with how the permissions were set up for non-badged members, should hopefully be fixed now.
Why can't I ever get a smogon bracket link to open? It always gets stuck on loading. I never got one to load in the past either.

https://www.smogon.com/bracketmaker/view/3142/
I believe you need badged access to be able to view and use those.

So a bracket maker should show matchups and future matchups (winner of this match vs winner of this match) right? Doesn't that mean badged users are at a slight advantage because they can see future matchups and prep before hand? Or does it not work like that?

Kalalokki

is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Social Media Head
So a bracket maker should show matchups and future matchups (winner of this match vs winner of this match) right? Doesn't that mean badged users are at a slight advantage because they can see future matchups and prep before hand? Or does it not work like that?
The bracketmaker is only really used to easily create and run tournament brackets which are then posted on the forums, pretty sure it's only linked so that the pairings can be verified to be unmodified. The overall tournament bracket is prob something you can calculate yourself if you know how a double elimination tournament works, which I don't really.

Boat

sailing apparatus, always learning
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Driver
To go into a bit more detail, the bracketmaker only generates matches one round at a time. Each round, the pairings are totally randomized. In truth, it's really not a bracketmaker in the same way bracketmakers like Challonge or Smash.gg are, as Smogon chooses not to seed their brackets. While badged users can see the generated brackets, hosts usually generate the bracket literal minutes before posting the round, so the advantage there is pretty nonexistent.

Hello. I was trying out a team on OU with Cinderace. However, I just noticed that Cinderace is actually being suspect tested. Am I still allowed to to use Cinderace in regular OU battle (even if I don't participate in the suspect testing)? Sorry, I'm an inexperienced player and don't know whether suspect pokemons are allowed for players not participating in the testing or not. (I saw the post and it says I need a completely new account to participate - but I have already played 10+ matches without Cinderace and then played a few matches with Cinderace before noticing the rules regarding suspect testing.)

Kalalokki

Social Media Head
Hello. I was trying out a team on OU with Cinderace. However, I just noticed that Cinderace is actually being suspect tested. Am I still allowed to to use Cinderace in regular OU battle (even if I don't participate in the suspect testing)? Sorry, I'm an inexperienced player and don't know whether suspect pokemons are allowed for players not participating in the testing or not. (I saw the post and it says I need a completely new account to participate - but I have already played 10+ matches without Cinderace and then played a few matches with Cinderace before noticing the rules regarding suspect testing.)
You can play with Cinderace on the ladder during this suspect test without trying to qualify for voting requirements, you're free to just continue on as normal. The fresh account starting with "OUTI" is only relevant if you do want to qualify for reqs.

Hello, I created this account several years ago and I have not used it since. As my email address and date of birth are associated with it, I'd like to delete this account (or "close" it), but the "contact us" link in the Help > Terms and rules section redirects to the same page. Who can I talk to about closing my account, or at least replacing my personal data with dummy data?

Quite Quiet

1 + 1 = 3
is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hello, I created this account several years ago and I have not used it since. As my email address and date of birth are associated with it, I'd like to delete this account (or "close" it), but the "contact us" link in the Help > Terms and rules section redirects to the same page. Who can I talk to about closing my account, or at least replacing my personal data with dummy data?
Send me a pm and we can go over the details for this.

My friend and I are having a bet on how you pronounce Smogon. He says it's pronounced "smōgon" (first o has a long o sound). I say it only has short o sounds because your logo has a Koffing and it can learn the move Smog, hence the short o. Who's right?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Smogon Media Contributor
My friend and I are having a bet on how you pronounce Smogon. He says it's pronounced "smōgon" (first o has a long o sound). I say it only has short o sounds because your logo has a Koffing and it can learn the move Smog, hence the short o. Who's right?
Smogon is derived from Koffing's German name, so however that is pronounced should be the correct one, imo

Tldw; this vid describes a way to get Pokémon from previous gens into current gens. This could allow a slew of previously lost moves to return to current Pokémon. Ex: Poochyena with heal bell.

Sorry if she uses devices/programs that the community thinks is cheating/inauthentic

GreaninjaF4n

Banned deucer.
How do you post about movesets? So, I know that you just post, but it seems like I'm gonna take extra precautions. So, can I try to post about a moveset, and the movesets they write here needs to be edited and stuff. Just asking, so how does this forum work with movesets?

Light Sanctity

Delelele wooooop!
is a Live Chat Contributor
How do you post about movesets? So, I know that you just post, but it seems like I'm gonna take extra precautions. So, can I try to post about a moveset, and the movesets they write here needs to be edited and stuff. Just asking, so how does this forum work with movesets?
I believe you go to the respective forum for whichever format / tier you would like to suggest a set (Moves) for and will need to get approval from a Quality Control (QC) member or above. It seems like this is regards toward an analysis perhaps?

Mowtom

I'm so meta, even this acronym!
Is there a guide to how to use colons to create images? For instance, typing :ss/minior: gets you :ss/minior:, the red core form. I've figured out that :ss/minior-meteor: :ss/minior-meteor: works for meteor form, but I can't seem to get any other colors of core with commands such as :ss/minior-green: or anything similar?

Really though more than an answer to the specific Minior question I'd just like a link to a guide to this feature. I also want to play around with Florges coloring and the way typing :itemname: can get you some items (for instance :lava-cookie: :lava-cookie: works but :rage-candy-bar: doesn't).

Bandkrook

flower boy
is a Pre-Contributor
I've seen some people requesting for commands for types, like :ice:, :fairy: w/e, and I think that's very useful too. Also, I can't seem to get any gen 3 sprites. both :adv/pikachu: and :rse/pikachu: don't show any sprites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)