Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
I have noticed many people with sprites/pictures in there signatures and they do not have ranks how is this so?
Click on your profile name in the top right corner of the page and click Signature. From there it's just a matter of copying URLs of sprites from, say, this site and pasting the images into your signature. The images don't have to be sprites; they can be whatever images you want. As Ksh13 said, this has nothing to do with badges.

When is it good to have a pokémon with 0 IVs on a certain characteristic, or with no max IVs, for that matter? I just read on another thread that a Hoopa with +Def was something terrible (when someone was posting the IV stats of a Hoopa, and it had max Defense, among many other things). I also read on a guide on gamefaqs that sometimes 0 was preferred on a certain IV, but they didn't say why.

When is it good to have a pokémon with 0 IVs on a certain characteristic, or with no max IVs, for that matter? I just read on another thread that a Hoopa with +Def was something terrible (when someone was posting the IV stats of a Hoopa, and it had max Defense, among many other things). I also read on a guide on gamefaqs that sometimes 0 was preferred on a certain IV, but they didn't say why.
Well, Trick Room Pokemon want to have a nature which hinders Speed and 0 IVs in Speed to be as slow as possible. All special attackers want to preferably have 0 IVs in attack to minimize Foul Play and Confusion damage. Hope this answered your question.

Well, Trick Room Pokemon want to have a nature which hinders Speed and 0 IVs in Speed to be as slow as possible. All special attackers want to preferably have 0 IVs in attack to minimize Foul Play and Confusion damage. Hope this answered your question.
Yes, it does. Thank you very much.

You often see 0 IVs in Attack. This is to make confusion damage as low as possible, as well as minimizing Foul Play damage (especially when you're weak to it). It can also be useful for Trick Room teams, where you want the lowest possible speed. Other than that it's mostly for aesthetic purposes.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Internet screwed up and displayed your post as 'a moment ago'. Sorry.

In terms of a Hoopa having +Def, I'm assuming they either mean the Hoopa had a Nature that boosted Defense, or they had max EVs in Defense, neither of which are good, as Hoopa's natural defense is terrible and is not worth wasting EVs in. That being said, you DO want max IVs in defense, because you want as much bulk as you can get naturally without sacrificing its attack stats.

Generally you want max IVs in as many stats as you can get. There are only a few reasons you wouldn't have all perfect IVs: one is if you're breeding, because getting 5 perfect IVs is usually much easier than getting 6 perfect IVs. The other reason I can think of is that sometimes people will set the Att IV of Pokemon that are meant to be special attackers to 0. This is meant to reduce the amount of damage these Pokemon take from Foul Play (Foul Play deals damage based on the Attack stat of the target; the higher the attack of the target, the more damage dealt).

EDIT: got double ninja'd

You often see 0 IVs in Attack. This is to make confusion damage as low as possible, as well as minimizing Foul Play damage (especially when you're weak to it). It can also be useful for Trick Room teams, where you want the lowest possible speed. Other than that it's mostly for aesthetic purposes.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Internet screwed up and displayed your post as 'a moment ago'. Sorry.
In terms of a Hoopa having +Def, I'm assuming they either mean the Hoopa had a Nature that boosted Defense, or they had max EVs in Defense, neither of which are good, as Hoopa's natural defense is terrible and is not worth wasting EVs in. That being said, you DO want max IVs in defense, because you want as much bulk as you can get naturally without sacrificing its attack stats.

Generally you want max IVs in as many stats as you can get. There are only a few reasons you wouldn't have all perfect IVs: one is if you're breeding, because getting 5 perfect IVs is usually much easier than getting 6 perfect IVs. The other reason I can think of is that sometimes people will set the Att IV of Pokemon that are meant to be special attackers to 0. This is meant to reduce the amount of damage these Pokemon take from Foul Play (Foul Play deals damage based on the Attack stat of the target; the higher the attack of the target, the more damage dealt).

EDIT: got double ninja'd
Thanks, guys. Even if someone had already answered, there is new valuable information in your posts.

EDIT: Another couple of questions: 1) I noticed most of the recommended movesets here have a few TMs that are unique in the game. What do you do in such cases? You teach the TM to your pokémon, and, if it didn't work as expected or later on you need that TM for another pokémon, you just take your loss? 2) Why are people concerned about which ball you catch a pokémon in? Only for aesthetical purposes, or does it affect the way it's raised? I know the Luxury Ball brings happiness, but why would someone want their pokémon caught in a Net Ball, for instance?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Even if someone had already answered, there is new valuable information in your posts.

EDIT: Another couple of questions: 1) I noticed most of the recommended movesets here have a few TMs that are unique in the game. What do you do in such cases? You teach the TM to your pokémon, and, if it didn't work as expected or later on you need that TM for another pokémon, you just take your loss? 2) Why are people concerned about which ball you catch a pokémon in? Only for aesthetical purposes, or does it affect the way it's raised? I know the Luxury Ball brings happiness, but why would someone want their pokémon caught in a Net Ball, for instance?
For #2, they want it in a unique ball for aesthetical purposes, like you said. Because they match the color of the pokemon.

EDIT: also some balls when the pokemon come out of them, their animation looks cooler than Cooler (anyone get that joke?)

Last edited:

For your first question, from Gen V and onward you can use any TM as many times as you want, so that is not an issue.

When I post in a thread, I get an alert whenever someone else posts in that thread. However, after a certain period I don't get noticed anymore. Why is this? If I go the thread I see that I'm still 'watching' it, so that can't be the problem. I have this in the SQSR thread, for example.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I post in a thread, I get an alert whenever someone else posts in that thread. However, after a certain period I don't get noticed anymore. Why is this? If I go the thread I see that I'm still 'watching' it, so that can't be the problem. I have this in the SQSR thread, for example.
This happens sometimes if you don't check the last post in a thread when you're alerted by it, especially if it's on a different page. I've gotten in the habit of scrolling down to the last post in every thread I'm alerted to so that this doesn't happen.

This happens sometimes if you don't check the last post in a thread when you're alerted by it, especially if it's on a different page. I've gotten in the habit of scrolling down to the last post in every thread I'm alerted to so that this doesn't happen.
Hope this solves it. Thanks for the reply :)

Click on your profile name in the top right corner of the page and click Signature. From there it's just a matter of copying URLs of sprites from, say, this site and pasting the images into your signature. The images don't have to be sprites; they can be whatever images you want. As Ksh13 said, this has nothing to do with badges.
thanks!

Quite sure that limits regarding signatures have nothing to do with ranks or badges, anyone can have what you describe in their signatures
i tried just dragging the images in, that didnt work, but the problem is solved

Just Pokemon sprites? Or animated GIFs?
just sprites but the problem is fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hey intellectual potato, just a heads up, but you can reply to more than one post in a single post :) I can see you're new, and just thought I'd let you know that posting more than once in a row is generally frowned upon on the smogon forums. If you have something else to say, you can edit your original post. I hope you enjoy your time here!

When you EV train using hordes, can you use Exp. Share and have the pokémon you want to train in your team, but not fighting? For instance, if I want to EV train an Abra, can I have the Abra and a Lapras in my team, and fight the hordes with the Lapras, or it won't be the same? In case I can, do I still get all of those EVs for each pokémon on my team, or are the EVs shared as well?

Hey intellectual potato, just a heads up, but you can reply to more than one post in a single post :) I can see you're new, and just thought I'd let you know that posting more than once in a row is generally frowned upon on the smogon forums. If you have something else to say, you can edit your original post. I hope you enjoy your time here!
ok well thanks for the notice, i'm new to forums btw not pokemon

When you EV train using hordes, can you use Exp. Share and have the pokémon you want to train in your team, but not fighting? For instance, if I want to EV train an Abra, can I have the Abra and a Lapras in my team, and fight the hordes with the Lapras, or it won't be the same? In case I can, do I still get all of those EVs for each pokémon on my team, or are the EVs shared as well?
Yes, that's perfectly fine. As long as Exp. Share is on, all Pokemon on your team will receive both experience and EVs from beating wild Pokemon (obviously only as long as they haven't already maxed their EVs).

How does the game decide which egg moves are inherited when there are more than four egg moves in play? For instance, the father has 2 egg moves to transfer, and the mother has 3; since the descendant can only have 4 moves, how does the game decide which one stays out?

How does the game decide which egg moves are inherited when there are more than four egg moves in play? For instance, the father has 2 egg moves to transfer, and the mother has 3; since the descendant can only have 4 moves, how does the game decide which one stays out?
I'm pretty sure its based on RNG, but you might have to double check your sources for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)