Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expected Zapdos, Celebi, and Honchcrow, but Sylveon and Conkeldurr legitimately surprise me. I feel like they might be suspected. I actually honestly also thought that Terrakion would move up from BL1 to proper OU.

I expected Zapdos, Celebi, and Honchcrow, but Sylveon and Conkeldurr legitimately surprise me. I feel like they might be suspected. I actually honestly also thought that Terrakion would move up from BL1 to proper OU.
Sylveon and Conk were expected to drop for like a year now tho?

Sylveon and Conk were expected to drop for like a year now tho?
When I thought about it, I can understand Conk, but I've felt that Sylveon is a bit much for UU, but I mean hey if it's there and it works then whatever.

(and also that huge Quagsire shift, woah)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pfft, Dugtrio did that first back in BW1 OU, back in like January 2012.

Sylveon and Conkeldurr finally dropped, woo! It's about time, I've been waiting for you two!!!

Oh and Honch dropped to RU, this should be interesting.

Just a few quick thoughts.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I didn't expect to see Mega Alakazam drop. I haven't played OU in a week or two, but it was extremely good when I used it.

I didn't expect to see Mega Alakazam drop. I haven't played OU in a week or two, but it was extremely good when I used it.
Welcome to the OU ladder, where normal Latias is used more than its Mega counterpart despite being outclassed.

It got quickbanned anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Wow, Amoonguss didn't just scrape by into OU like Quag and Zapdos, he's sitting super comfortably in it with over 5% usage

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to the OU ladder, where normal Latias is used more than its Mega counterpart despite being totally outclassed.

It got quickbanned anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
If Latias was totally outclassed, it wouldn't be ranked at all.

The ladder is full of stupid things, but vanilla Latias isn't one of them.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Wow, Amoonguss didn't just scrape by into OU like Quag and Zapdos, he's sitting super comfortably in it with over 5% usage
Some guys on the UU ladder told me that Amoongus had some sort of syndrome which I forgot the name. But the basic idea was that it's better in OU than it is in UU due to have good matchups with common Pokemon.

Some guys on the UU ladder told me that Amoongus had some sort of syndrome which I forgot the name. But the basic idea was that it's better in OU than it is in UU due to have good matchups with common Pokemon.
Yep, that's how metagames and niches work. Something that makes me laugh is that in OU, quagsire is higher on the VR than conkeldurr but in NU, quagsire is lower than gurdurr. Somehow it manages to both be better than conk while at the same time worse than a not as good version of it.

If Latias was totally outclassed, it wouldn't be ranked at all.

The ladder is full of stupid things, but vanilla Latias isn't one of them.
I'm mostly referring to Latios. Though, Healing Wish is pretty cool.

At least Sylveon is finally out of OU.

Is Vivillon THAT good?! I know that it has Powder and Quiver Dance and it outclasses Butterfree in every way but is it really too powerful for NU?
Uh.

Pokemon in NU don't go to RU just because of their strength. They go to RU because they're USED enough in it. If a Pokemon in NU is too strong for the tier then it gets suspected and then likely gets sent to the depths of BL3. This isn't just how NU works either, same deal with OU/BL/UU, UU/BL2/RU, and NU/BL4/PU.

And Vivillon is definitely not too strong for NU.

Uh.

Pokemon in NU don't go to RU just because of their strength. They go to RU because they're USED enough in it. If a Pokemon in NU is too strong for the tier then it gets suspected and then likely gets sent to the depths of BL3. This isn't just how NU works either, same deal with OU/BL/UU, UU/BL2/RU, and NU/BL4/PU.

And Vivillon is definitely not too strong for NU.
My bad I worded my statements wrong but what is the usage for Vivillon

I think the term was tier-immune pokemon, pokemon that perform well in any tier but have some drawback which stops then from ever being broken. I'm pretty sure Hippowdown was one of those pokemon, too.

"Sylveon moved from OU to UU"
*puts Choice Specs on* I wish I used Sylveon more...

"Conkeldurr moved from OU to UU"
Only Conkeldurrs I saw were on Monotype.

"Quagsire moved from NU to OU"
ALL HAIL MALAMAR!!

"Altaria-Mega moved from OU to UU"
... I have no words. Wait...

"Smeargle moved from RU to NU"
I agree. Weak, but too powerful for PU/FU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)