Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 164-193 (38.4 - 45.3%)

Well at least Aggron won't completely break the tier now that Quagsire's gone.

Ugh... Zapdos is the perfect representation of a ok mon in OU so I have no idea why it rose to OU when we dropped Mega Zam to BL with stuff like Mega Gyara and Terrakion who still aren't OU for whatever reason. And the slight rise Stall's viability got people to think Amoonguss and... Quagsire are hot shit for whatever reason. Tangrowth would like to have a word with Amoonguss on who's the better bulky grass.

But compliments where they are due, OU was finally able to let go of Sylveon and Conkeldurr. Congrats for that OU

Honchkrow would be awesome to use in RU. Unfortunately, I don't think it'd stay for long. It has great coverage, and with its Moxie ability it's very hard to stop once it gets the ball rolling. I guess it's sort of like Yanmega in a way.

Shame that NU didn't get Trevenant. Either way, I'm excited for what we did get regardless.

Mawile seems interesting. PU getting another Fairy-type would be neat. It can go offensive or defensive, though it's fairly obvious to tell the difference between the sets because defensive sets will ALWAYS run Intimidate and offensive sets will ALWAYS run Sheer Force.

RIP Zapdos. But hey, we got....Conkeldurr, Celebi, and Sylveon I guess. However, I'm kind of scared because Conk dropping means we're eventually going to see Machamp drop to RU. Chances are Machamp would get quickbanned from that tier, but still, it'd be annoying to face for the short time that it will likely be available.

I guess no more Amoonguss means SOMETHING got better in RU, right? Well, I think defensive Tangrowth is more viable now, but even then there's Venusaur....... Quagsire leaving is not a huge loss, but it does mean that Malamar gets one less check in the NU tier. Stall players man.

Last edited:
Sylveon should've dropped a long time ago. I predict Machamp will fall out of UU with Conkeldurr giving it stiff competition.

If Haxorus fell to RU, I'm pretty sure it would be quickbanned

I'm diplomatically and absolutely disagreeing with this... FU still have a decent fanbase (me included), especially with nice PU players... Sadly, we don't have support from PU leaders or enough players to play it without a ladder (let's be frank... It's a little bit tiring making teams having to look at the banlist to see if you are using proper things and having to wait for one or two of the 20 players that are patient enough to build decent teams) and that's why FU isn't a huge thing RN... Probably with a ladder we could make a bigger community, but I guess that will have to wait until gen 7...
Speaking of FU, here are the drops/rises.

We lost:
- Lumineon (wtf PU)

We got:
- Mightyena

That's it.

EDIT: Fraxure is BL5. Antar's banlist only includes Pokemon that are PU by usage, but Fraxure was banned around early ORAS.

Last edited:
I like having the little FU blurb as it effectively shows you the "OU" of PU, ie. the mons you should be preparing for. If a mon isn't on that FU banlist, it's a pretty niche threat in PU at most. Even taking into account viability. Simipour may be an A-ranked threat but if you never see it...

Conkeldurr moved from OU to UU
Sylveon moved from OU to UU
Celebi moved from OU to UU

And, we got Celebi too?

wait...

Zapdos moved from UU to OU

There goes the glue to half of the teams in UU...

However, I'm kind of scared because Conk dropping means we're eventually going to see Machamp drop to RU.

I can only hope

Last edited:
Mawile moved from NU to PU

yesssssss i've wanted this for like the whole past year

I like having the little FU blurb as it effectively shows you the "OU" of PU, ie. the mons you should be preparing for. If a mon isn't on that FU banlist, it's a pretty niche threat in PU at most. Even taking into account viability. Simipour may be an A-ranked threat but if you never see it...
you'd think so but it's actually a pretty awful representation of what's good in PU and what isn't, i mean just look at this

| 24 | Zebstrika | 7.169% |
| 25 | Ampharos | 7.106% |

Quagsire and Amoonguss getting into OU is such a good shift.[No idea bout zapdos]
Some lol things- Megaalt & megakazam & Sylveon in UU[suchgreat threats to the tier]
Honchkrow will surely be a destruction in the tier RU[will be A ran imo]
Gastrodon and Agrron are subbing quag and amoon for stall teams.hmmmm Impressive
<3 Love these drops!

Blazenix

浮気は犯罪行為
is an Artistis a Community Contributor
Quagsire and Amoonguss getting into OU is such a good shift.[No idea bout zapdos]
Some lol things- Megaalt & megakazam & Sylveon in UU[suchgreat threats to the tier]
Honchkrow will surely be a destruction in the tier RU[will be A ran imo]
Gastrodon and Agrron are subbing quag and amoon for stall teams.hmmmm Impressive
<3 Love these drops!
Megataria and Zam will be BL as it was stated above so no worries, also I dont see sylveon being that big of a threat to the tier , the drop had to happen at some point.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
PU got a nice drop HYPE!

I'll speak out for FU since i saw now one else do on the subject in more detail.
FU had it's named changed from FU to ZU for various reason's. It is in fact supported on the origin simulator, has it's own chat room, and own ladder.

Speaking of FU, here are the drops/rises.

We lost:
- Lumineon (wtf PU)

We got:
- Mightyena
People realized that Defensive Lumineon is a decent enough replacement for Pelipper as a bulky water defogger with U-Turn and immunity to one pretty much used attacking type.

you'd think so but it's actually a pretty awful representation of what's good in PU and what isn't, i mean just look at this

| 24 | Zebstrika | 7.169% |
| 25 | Ampharos | 7.106% |
Totally agree with Mag... Especially when we consider that Buzz cover a lot of its niches and it's really low ranked... Sadly, Viability =/= usage... RU do know a lot about that don'tcha?

Why is NU so selfish holy fuck

PU could have had so many things

Rip muk pinsir cacturne torterra (.01%) regirock

UU meta with Sylveon and Conkeldurr looks very interesting, hope they'll stay. Feel kinda bad for Machamp though since Conk's taken the spotlight, but if it drops to RU and stays I'm sure it'll do very well.
Honchkrow will tear RU a new one. Easily a good addition and a top-tier threat.
M-Altaria M-Alakazam will be brought up to BL almost instantly, no way those things are staying in UU.
OU took Amoonguss, Quag and Zapdos - thanks stall - but they'll no doubt be moved back to their respective tiers soon. Also:

| 41 | Ambipom | 6.281% |

This thing is gonna drop to NU one of these days, and when it does, it better stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)