Smogon VGC PL - Manager Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Art coming soon yo​

The very first season of VGCPL will start off with the selection of entirely new team managers. Only post in this thread if you would like to manage a team – all other posts will be deleted. We (the VGCPL hosts and VGC moderation teams) will be selecting the managers that we believe will make for the best overall tournament experience. You must signup in this thread to manage. You must be active for the entire tournament (approx. 2 months) and be capable of sending in weekly lineups on time.

The formats that will be featured this year are:

- VGC 2021 Series 9 (x5)
- VGC 2019
- VGC 2018
- VGC 2017

We will guarantee a minimum of six teams; however, we are considering eight teams, contingent on signups, so don't be afraid to signup! Any team requires a new team name (subject to approval), that include Pokemon Locations e.g. The Granite Cave Deceivers.

It is also worth mentioning that it's in your best interest to try and use a name not already popularized in other Draft Leagues. Some examples are the Fortree Brave Birds or Snowbelle Blizzards from the NPA series. It won't necessarily eliminate you from contention as a manager, but it helps to offer something new and fresh for a separate league.

Signing Up:

At minimum you must include the following in your post. Please take filling out the format seriously, most VGC players are not familiar with many Smogon players and vice versa, so the best way to leave a good impression is to fill out this post accurately and respectfully. If you do not yet have an assistant manager, leave it blank and edit when selected. Have your assistant manager confirm by liking the post or by posting that they confirm in the thread. An assistant manager is highly encouraged. Both the manager and the assistant manager will have the option to self-purchase prior to auction for exactly 10,000 credits.

Assistant Manager:
Desired Team / New Team Name:
Significant VGC Tournament Experience:
Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role):
Bio (quick intro on who you are):

Signups will be open at least until at least June 6th 2021 11:59PM PST, with the selection before player signups are posted.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to zeefable or myself!

Last edited:

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Assistant Manager: Tagmouse27

Desired Team / New Team Name: Mt. Pyre MAGMAS

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: I have made top cut 3 regionals and have had occasional good runs in online tournaments like the scramble. Also was the #5 ranked player in seniors in 2016 if that means anything lol. Tagmouse doesn't have as much in person success but has been a constant force online, is coming fresh off a top cut in the Smogon Major, and is all around a solid builder and great chat presence.

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): I've played in 4 different NPA seasons, being on the winning team in NPA 5, reaching finals in NPA 8, and am currently in the semifinals with the Malie City Monarchs at the time of this post. Also, I've managed Wacka World Tour 2 and 3 and have played in World Cup of VGC for 2 years. Tagmouse has played in NPA for a few seasons as well and also has managed in WWT 2 and 3!

Bio (quick intro on who you are): Besides being the Smogon VGC co-leader, I've also been around since 2015 and have almost always been an active member of the community. Tagmouse has similarly been around since 2017, and the two of us are great friends and practice together frequently, so I'm sure we'd make a great pairing.

Assistant Manager: Evelyie

Desired Team / New Team Name: Nimbasa Night Sweepin' (mascot will be dunsparce)

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: I don't have many tournament results, I'm more of a teambuilder than a tour player. However, I have gotten good results at some smaller tours. Notably, I got runner up in the WBG (Wigglytuff Battle Guild) Series 8 Kickoff tour which was relatively big (around 80-100 players). Eve has top cut a small tour called Indigo Con VGC, and has also been a rising star in the Brazil scene, beating a couple of top players in Bo3s.

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): Played in TPL World Cup and while albeit my team didn't perform well, I was mentored by JoeUX9 and have the general consensus on how to run a team.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): While I and Eve are pretty new to the forums, as you can see from my badge I am pretty active, as well as Eve. I started playing VGC in 2020, as well as Eve, but we are both learning quickly and have gotten quite good at the game.

Last edited:
Assistant Manager: TBD
Desired Team / New Team Name: Lavaridge Ludicolos
Significant VGC Tournament Experience: Playing the regional circuit since 2012 but played other "VGC" events in the past such as the pokemon 10th anniversary. Regional Champion, Regional top 4, 5x other regional cuts
Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): Multiple NPA appearances as a player, 4th in TPL world cup league as a player, Manager in PGL season 2
Bio (quick intro on who you are): Hey I'm Primitive! Long time VGC competitor and ex Hearthstone Pro. Have been in love with VGC for what feels like most of my life, which has caused me to in the past year create a VGC improvement blog that gets 10's of thousands of views per month in hopes to help as many players as I can by providing all the best information I have gained from my many years of high level competitive experience! Regional champion, multiple other top cuts, MSS/PC wins: A lot.

Spurrific

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Community Leader
Assistant Manager: emforbes

Desired Team / New Team Name: Geosenge Town GOGOATS

I'm a 2x regional champion, placed 3rd at Oceania 2019 and 2nd at NAIC 2018. Emforbes is also a regional champion and placed 2nd at Worlds 2018.

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): Emforbes and I played for the Malie City Monarchs from NPA 6 through NPA 9. As we were retained prior to the draft for 3 of those seasons, we have experience draft planning from those years too. In that span we reached finals twice and placed in the top half of the standings every season. I also took over as the Monarchs manager this year and we are currently in semifinals.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): I've played VGC since 2014 and have also played Doubles OU semi-frequently the last few years. Emforbes is also a long time VGC player and actively played DOU during Gen 7. Our resume as NPA teammates is unmatched so there is little doubt that our team would be among the most competitive in Smogon VGCPL.

Assistant Manager: Yuki Zaninovich (yzanVGC)
Desired Team / New Team Name: Anville Railers (subject to change)
Significant VGC Tournament Experience: Worlds 2016 t8/Worlds 2019 t16/2x regs 1st
Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): NPA Manager x3 Assistant Manager x3 Player x4 WCoP VGC x?

I'm Aaron T.! I've been around for a long time. You can read a bit about my personal VGC journey here. I moderate r/VGC and work on creating content for VGC beginners. I focus on cultivating a team atmosphere that is supportive, builds each other up, and aims for the title. I would love to learn something about Pokemon battling with new friends.

Last edited:
No Mercy!

Virbank Brutal Stars

Assistant Manager:
He_who_is_not_to_be_named AKA Voldy

Virbank Brutal Stars

Mostly ladder since I get anxiety when playing in tournaments, but I did top cut Dodrio cup despite that with JashSmash and HeWhoIsNotToBeNamed, if that's worth anything. My first VGC format was 2019, and I had a rudimentary understanding of VGC by getting introduced to it through the world championships of 2018 appearing in my youtube recommended.

N/A. I have a layman's understanding of a manager's role in this kind of league mostly due to following competitive League of Legends and theorycrafting as a manager, and am mostly planning on transitioning the basics and building from there. Mostly just doing this for fun, but I have full confidence that I can draft an all-star squad.

I have arguably the best user name on the site which speaks for itself. My most liked post is a satirical criticism of the OU Dynamax ban juxtaposed with the surprisingly active chess community smogon has. My chief motivation for doing anything is narrative; I love reading and writing as narrative explorations, but I also enjoy playing games and engaging in other activities primarily out of narrative potential. I play mafia/the werewolf game compulsively. I started playing Pokemon before I could read with Red version and my favorite type is Water. The best Pokemon game is Emerald. Because I am FromSoft trash, my greatest achievements include all trophies in Sekiro and beating Dark Souls on NG+6.

Last edited:

Borghi

Banana eater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Assistant Manager:
AldrichYan

Lumiose Luxray

Borghi/LightCore
4x Regional Top Cut,
2020 RoseTower LCQ Champion,
3x World's Invite,
2015 NYNJ Invitational Champ,
2017 NYNJ Invitational Runner-Up

AldrichYan
- Top 16 in reddit vgc circuit finale
- Top 8 in Zelda's 1st VGC 2021 Major Series 7 Tournament
- Top 20 in Gen 8 VGC 2021 Ladder (1927 rating)
- Top 4 Rose Tower Relaunch

Borghi
Assistant Managed along with JZG to a US East 2nd place in World Cup of VGC 2019.
Assistant Managed a team to Runner-Up in 2018 GNPA.
Have played in every NPA since NPA4.
Made finals of NPA 7 with the Goldenrod Rollouts.
Other info is that I am a Swim-Coach, so coaching, helping and especially leading athletes is literally my livelihood

AldrichYan
Manager for the Articuno Blues (Indonesia Draft League) ,
Co Captain of Articuno Blues (TPL World Cup)
NPA X Brave Bird

My name's Nick, I go by Borghi on Showdown. I've been around since 2012 as a Senior, and am a former Driver in the VGC-Room on showdown. I became a master in 2014 and have been having the timer of my life ever since. Outside VGC, I just graduated with my Bachelors in Business Administration from Baldwin Wallace. I'm an Eagle Scout. I've also worked as a Swim Coach for several years, and currently have a serious full-time coaching job at a well-respected Country Club in Ohio.

Hello gamers my name is Aldrich, I am from Indonesia. My favorite color is blue. I am most likely on Showdown and I am usually active in chat so feel free to hmu. What I want from the draft league is to have fun and I dont really know you guys so I'm looking forward to work with you guys.

Last edited:

Aldrich

My Teas Gone Cold Im Wondering Why I
is a Community Contributor
Assistant Manager:
AldrichYan

Lumiose Luxray

Borghi/LightCore
4x Regional Top Cut,
2020 RoseTower LCQ Champion,
3x World's Invite,
2015 NYNJ Invitational Champ,
2017 NYNJ Invitational Champ Runner-Up

AldrichYan
- Top 16 in reddit vgc circuit finale
- Top 8 in Zelda's 1st VGC 2021 Major Series 7 Tournament
- Top 20 in Gen 8 VGC 2021 Ladder (1927 rating)
- Top 4 Rose Tower Relaunch

Borghi
Assistant Managed along with JZG to a US East 2nd place in World Cup of VGC 2019.
Assistant Managed a team to Runner-Up in 2018 GNPA.
Have played in every NPA since NPA4.
Made finals of NPA 7 with the Goldenrod Rollouts.
Other info is that I am a Swim-Coach, so coaching, helping and especially leading players is literally my livelihood

AldrichYan
Manager for the Articuno Blues (Indonesia Draft League) ,
Co Captain of Articuno Blues (TPL World Cup)
NPA X Brave Bird

My name's Nick, I go by Borghi on Showdown. I've been around since 2012 as a Senior, and am a former Driver in the VGC-Room on showdown. I became a master in 2014 and have been having the timer of my life ever since. Outside VGC, I just graduated with my Bachelors in Business Administration from Baldwin Wallace. I'm an Eagle Scout. I've also worked as a Swim Coach for several years, and currently have a serious full-time coaching job at a well-respected Country Club in Ohio.

Hello gamers my name is Aldrich, I am from Indonesia. My favorite color is blue. I am most likely on Showdown and I am usually active in chat so feel free to hmu. What I want from the draft league is to have fun and I dont really know you guys so I'm looking forward to work with you guys.
Can confirm I have accepted to be an Assistant Manager for the team with Borghi!

Assistant Manager: Dawg

Desired Team / New Team Name: Seven Island Stoutlands

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: Established TO, generated >$25K in prizing towards community grassroots events. Aside from TO'ing, I have numerous accomplishments in competition and a wealth of knowledge to share with potential teammates.

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): World Cup Manager for Team Australia for a few years, been involved in every NPA since 2014. I also help co-manage my APAC league team which is basically an Oceanic version of NPA.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): Hi! I'm Zelda. I'm a four time regional champion of VGC and I have top cut the World Championships twice in the Masters division, notably coming second in the World Championships in 2017. I also came Top 4 in the Smogon Major in 2017, the last major event for VGC we had here before the one I helped run last weekend. I love meeting new people and I've been wanting to manage a team for a draft tournament for a long time now and never been given the opportunity.

Last edited:
Assistant Manager: Toxigen

Desired Team / New Team Name: tbd

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: I started VGC 10 months ago and since then I played in NPA, and got top8 in the most recent smogon major in my first big VGC tour. I've been more of a ladder player in VGC, finished top15 in S8 on the battlespot, and got #1 in both card and SD several times since I started, but I am joining more tours lately

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): Won SPL with 9-3 record, won WCop, got in semifinals in snake draft as a manager. Toxigen is into the DOU community and he knows well the playerbase of VGC 17-19 so he can help with that, while I know very well the playerbase of current VGC.

Bio: I'm prinz, been playing singles formats since 2012 and only started VGC recently, but I think I've what it takes to be a good manager and will hopefully draft the winning team :heart:

Last edited:
Assistant Manager: Arcticblast

Desired Team / New Team Name: Motostoke Eiscues

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: I have played VGC since 2010, including in SPL back when VGC was here on Smogon. I have top 4'd every major event, from regionals to nationals to worlds over my >10 years of playing VGC.

Recently was the commissioner for NPA which is another VGC League, was the manager for a team on it earlier, played in SPL/DPL/Snake Draft.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): I've played VGC since 2010 and I don't remember how long Arcticblast has but it's been a good amount of time. We play DOU and stick around in the community there, lets have a good time, build some fun teams, and honestly enjoy some Pokemon!

Last edited:
Assistant Manager: Raghav Malaviya (MudhimanVGC)

Desired Team / New Team Name: Eggseter Elekids

Raghav and I are both regional champions, and we both consistently top cut regional+ events back when they existed, Raghav most notably getting top 4 at OCIC last year. (I was only able to play in the actual circuit for 5 months before it got shut down sadly ). Post-covid, we have both been fairly active in the online VGC tournament scene, placing highly in almost every event we have entered.

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): I played in NPA this year on the Monarchs who are in the finals currently, as well as wcop for US West and am managing a team in WWT3 as well. Raghav has played NPA since NPA 6, winning with the Birds in NPA 8 and has played wcop for US West since 2018.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): Hey it's Andrew- I started playing VGC in September 2019, although I had played many Smogon singles formats since gen 4 so the fundamentals and competitive Pokemon experience carried over. Raghav is the perfect counterpart and co-manager to complement me, having played VGC since 2015, knowing the playerbase very well and we cannot wait to bring our competitive experience to Smogon VGCPL and draft a winning team while having tons of fun and making lots of new friends! There is no doubt that a team led by Raghav and I would be extremely competitive and a fantastic addition for a good tournament experience.

Last edited:
Assistant Manager: Fumito

Hau'oli City Ohana

I have attended events frequently since late 2015, winning the Smogon VGC Major held by Blarajan in 2017, and later getting top 32 at Hartford Regionals that same year. Fumito has been playing since 2016, getting top 8 at Argentina Regionals and top 16 at the LAIC in 2017. Fumito had qualified for and played in Worlds both in 2017 and 2019, while I have not qualified for Worlds before.

I was assistant manager and player for Canada's World Cup of VGC team in 2020, and have been a player on the team since 2017. I have also played in a few Latin American team tournaments, the most notable being for the 2019 APL champions; Tietê River Shell Warriors. Fumito was the manager for the aforementioned APL team in 2018-19. Aside from that, he has also been a Commissioner for World Cup of VGC in 2020, assistant manager for NPA's Aether Symbionts in 2018, while being co-manager of the team 2019-20, and co-manager for PLATAM's World Cup of VGC team 2017-19. Fumito was also a player for PLATAM's World Cup of VGC team 2017-20 (champions in 2020).

Bio:
I discovered competitive Pokemon in 2014 and never thought the game could introduce me to such lovely people. Fumito and I have gotten around in our years of playing the game, and have known each other since he began playing. I am confident we could more than sufficiently manage a team given his experience and my work ethic.

Assistant Manager: Mattadome02

Desired Team / New Team Name: Pacifidlog Politoeds

I have been playing competitive pokemon (VGC) since 2014 and hold the record for having the most top cuts for International Championships. I have qualified for the World Championships 5 times, top cutting twice in 2018 and 2019 resulting in both top 16 finishes.

For Matthias: Top 8 in CP Oceania 2017, 2019; Top 4 Brazil 2017; Top 8 Melbourne, Top 32 Berlin 2019

Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): I have experience playing in a few team tours(LATAM league, APAC league, WCOP, Pinnacle) with great success and have won the APAC league, WCOP and Pinnacle before. I have been managing for Team SEA for WCOP for the past 4 years since 2017.

For Matthias: NPA X Mallie City Monarchs (Player), WWT2 Littleroot Toesuckers (Asst. Manager), VGC Pinnacle Champion

Bio (quick intro on who you are): Hi I’m Melvin Keh aka ShamanVGC. Shedinja is a bug. I hold the record for having the most top cuts for International Championships. I am also known for coaching a 7 year old Simone Lim to win an IC with only 8 months of training. Matthias will be helping me as we have experience working together. We won VGC Pinnacle together once.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Assistant Manager: Arcticblast

Desired Team / New Team Name: Motostoke Eiscues

Significant VGC Tournament Experience: I have played VGC since 2010, including in SPL back when VGC was here on Smogon. I have top 4'd every major event, from regionals to nationals to worlds over my >10 years of playing VGC.

Recently was the commissioner for NPA which is another VGC League, was the manager for a team on it earlier, played in SPL/DPL/Snake Draft.

Bio (quick intro on who you are): I've played VGC since 2010 and I don't remember how long Arcticblast has but it's been a good amount of time. We play DOU and stick around in the community there, lets have a good time, build some fun teams, and honestly enjoy some Pokemon!
i am Posting to confirm that this is definiteLy happEning exActly aS writtEn, and i am not currently trapped in Human's basEment forced to deLiver draft strategies and teambuild to Perfection

Assistant Manager: Yuki Zaninovich (yzanVGC)
Desired Team / New Team Name: Anville Railers (subject to change)
Significant VGC Tournament Experience: Worlds 2016 t8/Worlds 2019 t16/2x regs 1st
Significant Team Tour Experience (Tour / Role): NPA Manager x3 Assistant Manager x3 Player x4 WCoP VGC x?

I'm Aaron T.! I've been around for a long time. You can read a bit about my personal VGC journey here. I moderate r/VGC and work on creating content for VGC beginners. I focus on cultivating a team atmosphere that is supportive, builds each other up, and aims for the title. I would love to learn something about Pokemon battling with new friends.
confirming I will be assistant manager for Aaron’s team

Assistant Manager:
He_who_is_not_to_be_named AKA Voldy

Virbank Brutal Stars

Mostly ladder since I get anxiety when playing in tournaments, but I did top cut Dodrio cup despite that with JashSmash and HeWhoIsNotToBeNamed, if that's worth anything. My first VGC format was 2019, and I had a rudimentary understanding of VGC by getting introduced to it through the world championships of 2018 appearing in my youtube recommended.

N/A. I have a layman's understanding of a manager's role in this kind of league mostly due to following competitive League of Legends and theorycrafting as a manager, and am mostly planning on transitioning the basics and building from there. Mostly just doing this for fun, but I have full confidence that I can draft an all-star squad.

I have arguably the best user name on the site which speaks for itself. My most liked post is a satirical criticism of the OU Dynamax ban juxtaposed with the surprisingly active chess community smogon has. My chief motivation for doing anything is narrative; I love reading and writing as narrative explorations, but I also enjoy playing games and engaging in other activities primarily out of narrative potential. I play mafia/the werewolf game compulsively. I started playing Pokemon before I could read with Red version and my favorite type is Water. The best Pokemon game is Emerald. Because I am FromSoft trash, my greatest achievements include all trophies in Sekiro and beating Dark Souls on NG+6.
Confirming I will be assistant manager for Mikey's team.

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus
We will be wrapping up manager applications a bit early. Results will be posted shortly. I'd like to note there was an error in my initial post. We are nominating SIX managers, with teams of EIGHT players. Apologies for the confusion here. Locking while we finalize teams. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)