CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basically I just went over my original sketch with some more pencil. I think it looks good anyway. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it more "icey" (I'll probably end up coloring it blue), but I still think a cockroach is the way to go.

Function-wise, the scythes on the front legs are meant to be for physical attacks. Can cockroaches fly? If they can, that's how it gets up into the air to attack. If not, I suppose it can rear up on it's hind legs. For special attacks, it uses its pincers to launch Ice Beams and the like.

Give me some feedback, guys!

It looks exactly like Flygon on skis. If it doesn't get picked for "Create a Pokemon," it'd make an excellent design for some kind of Smogon Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i havent posted here much because im not much of an artist (i am an amater spriter though) but ive got to say that this looks like the best

it has a horn (for megahorn) it clerely shows both bug (horn, head shape, body shape) and ice (eyes, skiis) caracteristics, and even though i am sure doug made it hopeing for mountinear (imunity from rock) as an ability its eyes would work well for compoundeyes and its shell could be the basis for ice shell (mabe renamed "frozen shell"), or even speed boost (imagine this hurtleing down a hill), but that would make it to like yammega.
i would like to see this idea developed

i vote for soy-monks i would do one, i can draw(im in AP studio art) but i dont have any way of putting it on here....and i doubt id like mine better than soy-monk's anyways.

some advice for the actual art: the first horn(biggest one) looks a bit off, and maybe you could make it bigger to make megahorn seem more justified. maybe make its hands/feet look like icicles to fit ice moves. maybe something like regices feet. it also looks strange to me that its right arm(our left) goes down lower than the left(our right) while the right(our left) shoulder is up higher than the left(our right).

maybe an ability like frosslasses, forgot name...the moves id think of for this would be(keeping in mind its a bug/ice MIXED sweeper):
-megahorn
-blizzard
-ice shard
-bug buzz
-u-turn
-ice beam
-tail glow(this does have a tail anyways, and infernape has nasty plot why not tail glow on this?)
-sucker punch
-power gem/stone edge
maybe a grass/electric move, but hidden power can handle that, it shouldnt be able to counter all its weaknesses with its movepool.

with base stats something like this:
70 hp, 100-120 att, 70-90 def(looking at its armored legs, but that may make it a little to good if it can take hits like that), 100-120 sp att, 60-70 sp def, 100+speed

i heard someone say it looks slow but i dont see how it looks slow really. and i see people are trying to give it gem like parts to support the special idea, but look at other special users. most just have a ball of w/e it is apear between their hands and they shoot it(gengar, infernape, many more).

weaknesses:
4x fire
2x flying
4x rock
2x steel

resistances:
.5x grass
.5x ice
.5x ground

with all others hitting neutral.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really think Doug's bettle fits more my idea of mixed sweeper. It just needs to get rid of the slids, really. Giving him two arms and maybe legs/torpedos (what) would be perfect.

Soy-Monk's is great too, but... how are we going to give it defensive stats with that appearance? It's perfect for an Ice/Fighter pokémon, IMO.

If jsc's can be really fast (like Starmie?) and use Close Combat (I can't imagine it using it now), then it's a pretty good option. Even though I think the eyes are too goofy. Well, at least it got the snowy scarf which can be used as wings (go Air Slash!).

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Okay, here's my effort fully colored with copics. Also, I'll give some more info about it. The wings differ between males and females. The females have smaller, plain wings while the males have larger, more extravagant wings. Also, the abdomen of these insects differ between males and females. The males are smaller than the females, and only the females can detach the ice from the abdomen. This is because this pokemon's eggs are developed in that ice. Once they are ready to hatch, it usually burrows a deep hole into a high mountainside, usually one with frequent snowstorms, and detaches it while resting in the hole. It usually takes the female a few weeks to recreate the ice once it does this.

EDIT: Well, pertaining to Hyra's horn request, I actually didn't want to give it a horn originally. However, seeing that "CompoundEyes + Blizzard + Megahorn = Rape," I decided to go with it. However, I couldn't come up with a design that I really liked, so I'll let you decide (just pay attention to the bottom 5 heads):

I personally am satisfied with number one, though. Hehe, I also drew a few designs for its pre-evos near the top, in case you wanted to make it a stage 2 or 3 pokemon. Finally, I decided to make it an icy ant pokemon instead of a pokemon which is essentially a fusion of moths and mantises, and this is for two reasons. One, there has been no ant pokemon ever, and two, the first pre-evo I made is based off of fire ants, and I thought it would be pretty neat to have an ice ant pokemon.

Oh, and before you say anything, wings on an ant do make sense. Usually male ants in many ant species are capable of flight, and some females are too.

Okay, here's my effort fully colored with copics. Also, I'll give some more info about it. The wings differ between males and females. The females have smaller, plain wings while the males have larger, more extravagant wings. Also, the abdomen of these insects differ between males and females. The males are smaller than the females, and only the females can detach the ice from the abdomen. This is because this pokemon's eggs are developed in that ice. Once they are ready to hatch, it usually burrows a deep hole into a high mountainside, usually one with frequent snowstorms, and detaches it while resting in the hole. It usually takes the female a few weeks to recreate the ice once it does this.

Haahahah, these are perfect for what I envision as a Bug/Ice. Please just find someway to incorporate Megahorn, X-Scissor is much too weak for a mixed sweeper.

i havent posted here much because im not much of an artist (i am an amater spriter though) but ive got to say that this looks like the best

it has a horn (for megahorn) it clerely shows both bug (horn, head shape, body shape) and ice (eyes, skiis) caracteristics, and even though i am sure doug made it hopeing for mountinear (imunity from rock) as an ability its eyes would work well for compoundeyes and its shell could be the basis for ice shell (mabe renamed "frozen shell"), or even speed boost (imagine this hurtleing down a hill), but that would make it to like yammega.
I agree with this completely. What if you tried to incorporate the legs so that they can become the skis or something? Seriously, this is not only one of the simplest, but the coolest submission so far.

Togekiss, those legs are not skis. I have to post my opinion and say the first sled beetle looks more Pokemon like. The second one looks like it should be standing straight up.

CyzirVisheen, could you make the bottom one avatar sized for me, pretty please?

DIT: Well, pertaining to Hyra's horn request, I actually didn't want to give it a horn originally. However, seeing that "CompoundEyes + Blizzard + Megahorn = Rape," I decided to go with it. However, I couldn't come up with a design that I really liked, so I'll let you decide (just pay attention to the bottom 5 heads):

[image]

I personally am satisfied with number one, though. Hehe, I also drew a few designs for its pre-evos near the top, in case you wanted to make it a stage 2 or 3 pokemon. Finally, I decided to make it an icy ant pokemon instead of a pokemon which is essentially a fusion of moths and mantises, and this is for two reasons. One, there has been no ant pokemon ever, and two, the first pre-evo I made is based off of fire ants, and I thought it would be pretty neat to have an ice ant pokemon.

Oh, and before you say anything, wings on an ant do make sense. Usually male ants in many ant species are capable of flight, and some females are too.
Scizor is based off a fire ant. In regards to the horn, I like the third, the icy one.

Togekiss, those legs are not skis. I have to post my opinion and say the first sled beetle looks more Pokemon like. The second one looks like it should be standing straight up.
True but the second one was basedon what I told Doug before so yeah ^_^;;. Personally, I think if you told the idea before Metagross leging and the fact he can tuck them up for floating and change it so it turned into skis(hate a fused ski idea though D: ) then it might work.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CyzirVisheen, could you make the bottom one avatar sized for me, pretty please?
Ah, sure! I'm hacking away at it, trying to come up with an acceptable quality, but with little luck. So far I've got
and
, but I'm not too satisfied with them. EDIT: Tried one more:

Also:

Scizor is based off a fire ant.
Seriously? Hmm... If that's true, then there goes my insect's uniqueness factor...

Wow, how did I miss the edit meant for me?

Anyways, either the first or third horn. The first one is more Bug like, while the third one is more Ice like. I personally like the smoothness of the bug horn.

I'd say that the legs look a bit to metallic. Try for more crystalline like ice crystals. Overall fantastic, but the second set of fangs could run a bit more parellel to the face (so it's like an L on the chin).

Nice job:toast:

CyzirVisheen: Wow....amazing is all I can say.

Other awesomeness by practically everyone.
Fixed it up a bit.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the problam i see with this

is that it lacks ice elements (it looks like a bug/flying) whereas this

me said:
me said:

has plenty if ice elements, and it could be changed into a sprite much more easyly due to its simplicty

Well i think JustSomeChick's Pokemon is the best although it could look meaner or something.

I cant really get down to drawing a pokemon but how about a suggestion for the rest?
I've been seeing all of these drawings using scorpians as the basis of the Pokemon. Now how about changing the stinger to some huge organic ice ball of some sort? The iceball can be used the pokemons 'fist' for Ice Punch.

Gothic, I was referring to the first sled beetle. I mean, it's just so cool, simplistic, and has both ice and bug elements, as Eric said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)