CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 5

What will be the stats of our new pokemon? (speed last)

• 80/ 105/ 65/ 115/ 70/ 115 (Total 550)

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • 105/ 80/ 60/ 120/ 75/ 110 (Total 550)

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • 70/ 100/ 75/ 105/ 80/ 115 (Total 545)

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • 47/ 125/ 75/ 105/ 70/ 123 (Total 545)

Votes: 70 32.9%
  • 70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121 (Total 555)

Votes: 71 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Pokemon can do is limited by what they are, if you get what I'm saying.
Let's give it Filter!

Looking at serebii's description page for Thunder, only three Ice pokemon learn it (Lapras, Froslass, and Regice) and only two Bugs (Volbeat and Illumise), so it doesn't really seem practical. Charge Beam is even more limited. Thunderpunch is an option, but it seems that unless we want to give this guy a glowing butt, he's not going to have Thunder. Hidden Power Electric doesn't seem like a viable substitute, either.

Remember though, there is still the new move that will be created....

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would it be logicle that once this poll is over, to possibly recreate the same poll with the top 3 stat distributions and 2 extra ones not posted up there? I personally think that the stats of this made up pokemon is too important to be determined in just one poll. I mean I kinda regret picking my option, >_>. Granted, alot of people will just pick the same spread as they did the first time, but this time there could be more thinking involved and possibly a new spread that is even better than these. I know you dont want anyone to suggest new spreads in this poll, but its just a suggestion if ya would like the best possible stat distribution of this made up pokemon.
i realy like this idea, if i had a choice i would change my vote to MWL i dont want hyra's spread to win. mabe you could make the poll run for 1-2 days rarther than 3 since most people have already made up their minds.

cooper said:
Let's give it Filter!
urm... thets quite interesting but its not going to be bulky eneugh to take, say a blissey flamethrower even with filter.

Looking at serebii's description page for Thunder, only three Ice pokemon learn it (Lapras, Froslass, and Regice) and only two Bugs (Volbeat and Illumise), so it doesn't really seem practical (lets wait for the sprite, it may fit). Charge Beam is even more limited (yes). Thunderpunch is an option, but it seems that unless we want to give this guy a glowing butt, he's not going to have Thunder. Hidden Power Electric doesn't seem like a viable substitute, either. (thunderpunch sound good but it woulnt do much to skarm)

are we going to make a new move for this thing? we will have to be careful now to make it overpowerd, but we can do it.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Voted for Hyra because after EVs get invested into Atk and SAtk, it'll be lacking speed so more speed ftw.

urm... thets quite interesting but its not going to be bulky eneugh to take, say a blissey flamethrower even with filter.
I was kidding.

(thunderpunch sound good but it woulnt do much to skarm)
Doesn't Blizzard 2HKO it?

are we going to make a new move for this thing? we will have to be careful now to make it overpowerd, but we can do it.
I was thinking maybe some sort of Grass attack. If JSC's Mantis art is chosen, then it could use Leaf Blade, but for everything else.... It would be able to counter bulky Waters, but Gyarados would still be a potent threat.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Let's give it Filter!
Interesting idea, but it's fail on this pokemon. With two 4x weaknesses, it really won't prevent it from any OHKO's. Look at Solid Rock on Rhyperior. Even with all that defensive capability, just about any grass or water move still OHKO's it. Solid Rock does help against the occasional Fighting move.. but, meh.

It looks like this pokemon is going to be pretty frail anyway, even without all the weaknesses. That really makes Filter somewhat pointless.

EDIT: Just saw that you were joking.
All those people obsessed with ensuring there is a visible horn on the pokemon, just so it can have Megahorn -- they need to remember the new move. We can always make the new move a good physical bug move. We don't HAVE to have Megahorn.

In terms of a new move I have an idea for one called

FrostBite Category: Status ACC 60 POW ---

Description - An Icy Bite that freezes the opponent

I was thinking maybe some sort of Grass attack. If JSC's Mantis art is chosen, then it could use Leaf Blade, but for everything else.... It would be able to counter bulky Waters, but Gyarados would still be a potent threat.
Thunder Boom
Type: Electric
Power: 120
Acc: 100
PP: 10
Effect: [Insert effect I said before about this move minus some junk if need be]

Granted, it might not even learn an electrical move at all.

Frostbite
Category: Physical(or Special)
ACC : 90
POW: 100
Description - 30% chance of freezing an opponent. Can't freeze opponent if it's a fire or Ice type and/or have Thick Fat
Meh, the best I could do.

Thunder Boom
Type: Electric
Power: 120
Acc: 100
PP: 10
Effect: [insert some cool effect here]

Granted, it might not even learn an electrical move at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat WeavileTamer

FrostBite
Category: physical
ACC 90
POW: 100
Description - 30% chance of freezing an oppenet. Can't freeze oppenet if it's a fire or Ice type and/or have Thick Fat

If it is going to have 90 acc then it should have 100 pow

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how about we wait till the sprite is chosen and make a move that fits specificly with the sprite, otherwise we may have to give frostbite to anticuno and a few other ice pokemon.

how about we wait till the sprite is chosen and make a move that fits specificly with the sprite, otherwise we may have to give frostbite to anticuno and a few other ice pokemon.
Well I thought of frost bite with the mindset of a bug that can bite and articuno doesn't have any teeth does he. Frost Bite doesn't fit walrien or lapras or frosslass or even glalie so who would it fit besides a bug Ice

eric the espeon

Well I thought of frost bite with the mindset of a bug that can bite and articuno doesn't have any teeth does he. Frost Bite doesn't fit walrien or lapras or frosslass or even glalie so who would it fit besides a bug Ice
i think it would fit walrien, glalie and mabe glaceon, theve all got teeth and i cant see how you would argue that if their was a frostbite attack walrien wouldant get it, he has fangs.

Yeah he has fangs but they are like huge but I see your point
Their still canines right and that's really all that matters if you think about it. I mean Mamoswine have Ice Fang and Donphan get Thunder and Fire Fang and neither one have fangs pre say but their tusk are considered teeth so yeah.

Though the name Shiver was suggested as an ability, I'd like to offer the idea as a move.

Shiver is basically the freeze version of Yawn. It sends the enemy a big chill and if they don't switch out, they'll be frozen. It likely won't catch on because freeze tends to thaw a lot more sporadically than sleep.

It's not technically 'auto freeze' it's more like freeze if you don't switch out. It's basically yawn with a different status attached.

Maybe something that makes freeze too broken though that I fail to understand. After all, you can thaw out just as you freeze but you can't wake up right away from sleep. I could be mistaken though.

eric the espeon

frz is a 10% chance every turn to thaw.
slp lasts for 2-5 turns.
you could trap pass then frz, or if it is the last pokemon.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heracross doesn't have a 4x Stealth Rock weak, that's why its so scary.

Deck Knight, this is meant to be an expert level Pokemon. I don't want it to hand games over, but it can. What Skarmory can take two Blizzards? You also ignore the fact that I could easily, easily run a +Atk nature, and achieve the same attack stat, or higher, with more Special Attack. Infernape will probably switch to Max Speed to counter people who do so, but it makes them either less durable or weaker on their other offense.

And now that you mention Thunder, originally I requested for Thunder not to be included. It would fry Milotic, Suicune, and Vaporeon (not so much), some of the Pokemon who could take Megahorn and Blizzard. If you feel like making this more powerful, and stopable by only Regice, Dusknoir, and faster things, be my guest.
First, Stealth Rock has nothing to do with Heracross' scaryness. Mence and Gyara have a Stealth Rock weak and they're still scary. Bellyzard can still sweep teams with an SR weak and it doesn't have near the stats we're putting on this. Ninjask has defenses as crappy as this but it's still scary for other reasons.

Fact is this thing eats SR and one Seismic Toss and it has one LO attack left. Maxing attack on this is basically building a worse Heracross.

And any Skarmory can take two Blizzards provided one of them misses. It still OHKOs your spread no questions asked with Brave Bird. Same with Bronzong, Forry and Steelix. You can't assume something this weak is automatically going to force a switch. Being a glass cannon worse defensively than Rampardos doesn't make something "expert level" it just means it has a serious design flaw.

The problem is your spread basically depends on having Compundeyes to avoid being crunched against the wall of BL. 47 Base HP is just too low, even for a mixed sweeper. It isn't like this thing is Deoxys-A and can slaughter whatever switches in nearly unconditionally.

The problem with this is Steel types in general. Even if the most popular ones are only nuetral to one STAB or the other (bar Forry/Scizor), the fact remains is that this can't one-two punch any of them if it starts with a physical attack. Steelix and Skarm both blow off Megahorn and then survive Blizzard (assuming it hits, again) to KO in return. This really can't switch into Bliss because Seismic Toss is an unconditionl 3HKO and an effective OHKO on a Life Orb set while Stealth Rock is down.

I don't like to always assume SR, especially on a pokemon that could force a majority of them out, but the fact remains is even if we gave this Magic Guard it would still go down in one hit to the most common walls in the metagame, nevermind sweepers.

It seems that the only way to really make this pokemon a threat against neutral walls is to give it an Electric attack.

Thunder Boom is way too powerful. 100% accuracy and 120 power? That's pretty insane. With Thunderpunch this thing would be a lot better, though a nice special attack would be good.

If it does get Thunderpunch/Thunderbolt, the new move could be something that heals. Heal on the switch sounds pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)