CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but the labor of a sprite artist isn't shrinking large images down and praying to the gods of compression and computer averaging that it looks good but rather to painstakingly reproduce the image yourself in what small area you are given.

Right, but the labor of a sprite artist isn't shrinking large images down and praying to the gods of compression and computer averaging that it looks good but rather to painstakingly reproduce the image yourself in what small area you are given.
look back at my post I put up jsc's up when it was shrunk and it looks a whole lot better. I am a spriter so I know what you mean but It is quite difficult to sprite something that could feasibly be a wallpaper. So i shrunk it as a relative guideline for the finished product

ps. I save all my files .png

and cyzir's looks like venusaurs back sprite from r/b/y

Cyzir can easily refine his picture. Its obvious he didn't do final touch-ups to it. He simply sketched it for this poll. Cooper himself said that the artists will add the extra stuff after they're picture has been chosen. Honestly, it can't look like that in game, its way too sketchy. jsc seems to have went through the trouble of adding all the details even before hers was chosen.

EDIT: And seriously dude, I don't think you're supposed to just shrink the original picture and call it a sprite. I'm pretty sure there is more to it.

Cyzir can easily refine his picture. Its obvious he didn't do final touch-ups to it. He simply sketched it for this poll. Cooper himself said that the artists will add the extra stuff after they're picture has been chosen. Honestly, it can't look like that in game, its way too sketchy. jsc seems to have went through the trouble of adding all the details even before hers was chosen.

EDIT: And seriously dude, I don't think you're supposed to just shrink the original picture and call it a sprite. I'm pretty sure there is more to it.
I don't call those sprites I am never said they were sprites I just said that with the amount of detail that they have now its not going to be possible to include everything on either sprite. so what I am saying is cyzir's won't look nearly as good as jsc's when they are both sprited because he has to lose more of his picture to make it sprite able.

Cooper said when he first posted up the images that the original artists can add the additional touch-ups/final refinements after their image had been chosen. So Cyzir can do that to his if his picture wins this poll, and make it easier to sprite.

Cooper said when he first posted up the images that the original artists can add the additional touch-ups/final refinements after their image had been chosen. So Cyzir can do that to his if his picture wins this poll, and make it easier to sprite.
thats exactly what I am saying I am just saying that he HAS to do it if he wants to make it spriteable

here is a challenge

right click cyzir's original image and select veiw image
save the image to your desktop
open the program paint and go to edit
select paste from and do that to cyzir's image
once you have it pasted select view
scroll down to custom view and select 800%
no look at how much detail and pixels there are
now think about what a spriter has to do

thats what a spriter has to deal with

this challenge is for everyone not just yoko

you can do the same to jsc's if you like

Cooper : I ran some tests on cyzir's image and I shrunk it to fit into an 80 * 80 pixel space and this is what I got

Don't look so cool anymore huh

however jcs's when shrunk to the same size looks much better even though it still looks worse than before

To those that say that cyzir's is just as complicated as tyranitar's is mistaken its a thousand times more complicated. belive me I have looked at that thing up close and it has a ton more pixels than tyranitar. I have sprited tyranitar before and its not easy but its not this complex.

Jsc's however is much more easy to sprite being how it is simple enough to sprite. Due to the fact that it has less colors less complex borders and a more sprite able shape.

I think people need to stop thinking oooh closecombat and megahorn and think if we are really serious about something like this then we need to take into acount thefact that to implement this we need a sprite and to get a sprite it needs moar simplicity.

just my two cents
I know that these aren't sprites what I am saying is that cyzir's may look cool now but necessarily later

I don't see how the Ice crystals are any harder to sprite than feathers. Just treat them like feathers and you have it easy(er).

Anyways, I'm surprised Cyzir's is going to win. There was almost no support besides me, and I think Gothic Togekiss, for it in the original art thread.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Cyzir ftw. Tbh just some chick's picture looks...a little bland, as opposed to Cyzirvisheen's "action packed" picture. It is still possible to modify sheen's pic into the smaller size

Tsukikage, that sprite was excellent in my view. If the ice shard wings are too hard to do, then you can make them more basic looking. I really think it looks great, but as people said, the arms look a bit too metallic. I don't mind it though, it looks really good dude. How did you do it?

What is the point all these useless poll why couldn't you just make one image thread and only allow one vote instead of splitting it into 3 parts.

Also why is anyone voting for the first choice its a Scizor clone/ripoff.

I also take it the end result is getting incorporated into competitor/shoddy.

Tsukikage, that sprite was excellent in my view. If the ice shard wings are too hard to do, then you can make them more basic looking. I really think it looks great, but as people said, the arms look a bit too metallic. I don't mind it though, it looks really good dude. How did you do it?

The arms are a combination of Magmortar, Gallade, and Blaziken (Don't ask).
The head is Ariados, Dragonite, and Heracross (Dragonite's "ears" and I took off the extra parts of heracross's horn).
The shoulders are Metang.
The body is Scizor, Beedrill, and Regice (Again, don't ask).
Glaceon colors.

He split it into three parts so that we can eliminate them one by one. He wanted to make sure that the winner was undisputed, so he made three polls to be positive that the majority of the community favors one over the other.

...and it might go on Shoddy, I don't really know.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow, I didn't expect my creation would get this far... Thanks to everyone who have been voting for mine. Anyways, I've started working on its sprite, but I won't have both male and female sprites done until tomorrow, as I have to go to work. But rest assured that it will be quite interesting.

I'm pretty good at spriting, so I can try to make one too after this poll is over cooper

EDIT: Tsukikage, I hope you don't mind, but along with trying to add the wings to your sprite, I'm making other minor edits as well <_<;

JSC gets my vote. Cyzir's is just too not Pokemonish.

Also the antennas can be enlarged and used for horns if you really want Megahorn that badly.

Tsukikage, I'm working on those crstal wings, and I've just decided to use as a base of all things Dialga. It looks like it will come out fairly nicely so I'll try to show everyone soon

He split it into three parts so that we can eliminate them one by one. He wanted to make sure that the winner was undisputed, so he made three polls to be positive that the majority of the community favors one over the other.

...and it might go on Shoddy, I don't really know.
Yes.

Tsukikage: That does indeed look very nice. I'm really interested now to see what it will look like when people add wings.

For all those people shouting "PAINT" at me, I'm sorry to say I don't seem to have a paint program on my computer that I can find. I have an Apple, yet there is no paint....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)