CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 9

What will be the type of our custom move?

• Physical

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Special

Votes: 39 21.5%
  • Support

Votes: 37 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh... Poll 9? No idea what to do for that. The only two options I could really think of were name (I think it's only right to give Cyzir that honor because it's his art) and egg group (can't do that without knowing egg moves), so I'm going to jump into the custom move. I'm looking back through Poll 7 at what level-up sets people suggested (I'll probably use Jibaku's), so that will make everything go a bit smoother in the future.

For this poll, I'm going to play it like I did the typing, where I'll use the three move groups: physical, special, and support. The poll is going to run for two days, because even though I think the winner will become apparent in only one, we need to discuss moves to be voted upon. There's also the matter of the sprites people are working on.

For those who aren't in the know, this is what our pokemon looks like so far:

Bug/Ice
Ability: Compound Eyes/ Mountaineer
70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in. This doesn't block additional effects.

EDIT: Used Deck Knight's movepool instead. I was concerned about an egg group, but from looking at his list and the moves that were voted upon, the only thing that really makes sense is Bug/Ground. Bug was obvious from the start, but Ground is necessary for Earth Power. Monster could also work.

Movelist:
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
10 Focus Energy
15 Knock Off
21 Bite
28 Icy Wind
36 X-Scissor
45 Night Slash
55 Bug Buzz
66 Ice Punch
78 Sheer Cold

TMs/HMs:
TM03: Water Pulse
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM28: Dig
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM43: Secret Power
TM44: Attract
TM45: Rest
TM46: Thief
TM47: Steel Wing
TM51: Roost
TM52: Focus Blast
TM54: False Swipe
TM56: Fling
TM58: Endure
TM60: Drain Punch
TM62: Silver Wind
TM63: Embargo
TM65: Shadow Claw
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM71: Stone Edge
TM72: Avalanche
TM75: Swords Dance
TM78: Captivate
TM80: Rock Slide
TM81: X-Scissor
TM82: Sleep Talk
TM83: Natural Gift
TM84: Poison Jab
TM87: Swagger
TM89: U-Turn
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
HM01: Cut
HM03: Fly (for those bitching that this doesn't fly, explain Doduo)
HM04: Strength
HM06: Rock Smash

Egg Moves:

Bug Group:
- Earth Power (Trapinch)
- Superpower (Pincir)

His movepool should have a bug type move since his type says it should he should also have a special move based on his characteristics like every other pokemon has for example: Darkrai - Dark Void, Dialga - Roar of Time, Palkia - Spacial Rend, Lucario - Aura Sphere

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Personally, I believe we need a better physical Ice attack besides Ice Punch.

agreeing with the above post the strongest physcial normal no condtional
ice move is ice punch

Voted Physical. X-Scissor is a good option for physical, but we need a better Ice move besides Ice Fang/Shard. The only real support move it needs is a healing one, and we can just throw in Roost for that.

Hm.... Only move I would want to give it is a Bug-typed Cross Chop...

But if we are considering giving it Attack Order, that's redundant. Between Ice Beam, Blizzard, and Ice Punch, I see no need for another Ice attacking move. It can already chose between Roost and Heal Order for recovery. It doesn't need a stat-up move...

Hm... What are peoples opinion on giving this a Special version of Dragon Dance? I think its going to far, but, we need to make a special move.

@ Cooper:
Are we planning on giving it standard Bug moves (excluding Megahorn) and Standard Ice moves? And what is the status on Superpower?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
why use the fangs not punches, also do we realy need to give it a custom move?

edit: i canot see this useing any fire move please remove fire fang, mence learns ice and thunder fang but not ice due to its 4x weak to that type, this does not need it and it makes little sence

Cooper, Trapinch is in the Bug Group and learns Earth Power.

Also, Deck Knight lacks Egg Moves and Roost. I'm pretty sure he had those originally. Any word on Order moves?

Ice blade
90 BP
100% acc
physcial

Ice typed attack command with a 10% freeze chance in addtion to high CH ratio

Cryogen Rush:Ice 120 BP physcial 100% acc

Ice typed Double edge with 10% freeze chance

Meltwater: Ice Support 10 PP

restores 50% HP and for the rest of the turn used user ice typing doesn't apply to weakness or resistances

Cooper, Trapinch is in the Bug Group and learns Earth Power.

Also, Deck Knight lacks Egg Moves and Roost. I'm pretty sure he had those originally. Any word on Order moves?
I took Roost out for the moment. I'll probably end up putting it back in though. I don't think the orders work flavor-wise. Vespiquen is the bee queen and can order stupid Combees around. This pokemon doesn't have minions....

As far as Superpower goes, I'll add it in. At this point I'm definitely making the egg group Bug, because as Hyra pointed out, Earth Power comes from Trapinch, and SP comes from Pinsir.

Fire fang stays. it's a physical HP Fire. Nothing wrong with that.

KoA

is an Artist
Maybe a compromise with the move can be like this:

Crystal Jab
Physical
100 BP
85% accuracy

It's essentially an Icy Megahorn but slightly weaker. It seems to fit especially well due to the fact this guy can cover his hands with icy spikes.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was working on a super-detailed sprite a few days ago, when KoA posted his awesome masterpiece. I abandoned the project because.. well, KoA's was awesome. Later, I decided to finish the piece anyway. The start of this project was to redo the eyes and make Compound Eyes viable. Along the way, I made the facial markings look more like tribal tatoos, or something along those lines. I also wanted to prominently feature the little legs on the abdomen, which really characterize the "bug" side of this pokemon. I also, wanted to make the wings look more "icy" than in the past. I think I achieved all my intended goals. Hope you like it...

I took Roost out for the moment. I'll probably end up putting it back in though. I don't think the orders work flavor-wise. Vespiquen is the bee queen and can order stupid Combees around. This pokemon doesn't have minions....

As far as Superpower goes, I'll add it in. At this point I'm definitely making the egg group Bug, because as Hyra pointed out, Earth Power comes from Trapinch, and SP comes from Pinsir.

Fire fang stays. it's a physical HP Fire. Nothing wrong with that.
Okay, I was thinking Ant evolution, with this being the head of the colony. This can have pre-evos too you know. Honestly, this thing seems more of a head than a servant.

Edit:
Under egg moves, could you add things like Wing Attack and Air Slash. There was no real opposition to them, and it has the explanation.

Wow. I really like that sprite DJD.

On the note of the poll: I say Physical. It doesnt have many stab-physical moves, so yeah.

On the note of the Moveset: I think for another STAB Bug move maybe Bug Bite/U-Turn or if special: Signal Beam.

Custom Move: I think Crystal Jab or Ice Blade would be awsome.

The only thing I don't like about the movepool is Defog. Those wings may be sufficient to Fly on, but they don't seem the type that can Defog a place filled with fog.

edit: Also, does everything get Attract? If so, that's fine, but it doesn't look like it would Attract anything to me.

Will this pokemon have Pre-evos of any kind? If so,i think that that will be important in deciding the moves for this pokemon. Having pre-evos allows to make more in-game accurate level choices as well as even allowing new moves that only pre-evos can learn, as in Nasty Plot with Chimchar or Slash and Reversal from Vigoroth.

I was also always for the "Order" attacks, because this pokemon to me seems like an ant and ants usually work in orders, like bees. A new physical Ice move is a great idea IMO, I really liked KoA's Krystal Jab move. Its not too broken, but competitive at the same time.

Oh and I really like your sprite DougJustDoug. I dont think we have finalized a choice for a specific sprite and yours looks just as good as KoA's.

I like the idea of Meltwater. It would also improve things like Regice and Cloyster and Lapras and pretty much every Ice type.

Voted physical. It has more physical movepool than special now that I look at it.

EDIT: Why is everyone thinking this looks like an ant? It's a moth.

KoA

is an Artist
I think Cyzir designed it with a male ant in mind, I dunno.

Anywho, this can pretty much be like Heracross and Pinsir in regards to not needing evos/ pre-evos.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Holy shit that's awesome. I really wish we could put that and KoA's together for an animation, but I don't think that's possible with the obvious differences between the two. Are you planning an animation for that as well?
Thanks a lot for the compliment.

I hadn't thought too much past finishing it and posting it. Like I said in the post, I stopped working on this because KoA's was so damn good, we really didn't need another sprite. And I want to be clear -- I'm not posting this because I think KoA's is bad or anything. I had put in some time on this one, I was having fun with it, so I finished it. I'm posting it because, like many artists, I like my stuff to be seen.

As for animation -- I do have a half-done second frame. If there's interest in this, I will finish it. Heck, I might finish the animation anyway, even if people hate this one. I tend to get hooked on something and just can't leave it unfinished...

Voted physical, here. We need a better physical STAB move, whether it be Ice or Bug. Ice Punch and X-Scissor are way too weak. Ice Punch can be solved through the use of Ice Beam or Blizzard, but for an all physical set (Say, Swords Dance set), Ice Punch and X-Scissor just do not cut it for STAB moves. And, since this is supposed to be a custom move, I think it should be something that fits it. Crystal Jab is probably the best one, or something to do with his Wings. So long as it's reasonably powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)