Smogon's support for 2v2

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
2v2 was all but ignored in Advance, and I feel as if that was a pretty big loss for the generation and the site. As a competitive Pokemon resource, Smogon really shouldn't be overlooking such a major mode in the game. The problem last generation was lack of interest, but if Smogon showed support for the mode, you can bet people would get interested pretty quickly.

If someone comes to the site looking for 2v2 information and sees something like this: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24017 , they are going to walk away disappointed, and I think it's our job to prevent that.

What I'm proposing is official Smogon support for 2v2.

1) A separate analysis section for 2v2, that focuses on 2v2 threats and strategies. As it is now, 2v2 is only mentioned passively in a Pokemon's analysis, usually under "Other Options". 2v2 centric Pokemon get a very short analysis along the lines of "This might be good in 2v2, but we're not going to look at that!" Perhaps it would mean waiting until Competitor for us to gain the necessary 2v2 experience to write a good analysis, but I think it's worth it to not overlook a dimension of the game.

2)The inclusion of 2v2 in either the Smogon Tour or a similar recurring tournament. As I previously mentioned, a big issue with 2v2 in Advance was simply a lack of interest. People didn't have 2v2 teams, and couldn't be bothered to make them. Why? "Because no one plays 2v2." A single 2v2 tournament would probably still be overlooked, as it's easier to ignore if you don't have a team. A recurring one is a lot harder to overlook: if you see "Smogon 2v2 Tour XX/XX/XX" every other week on the forums, you're more inclined to give it a shot.

The problem with 2vs2 is that it relies more on "lucky predictions" than standard battling. I could go on and on, but 2vs2 just doesn't seem like anything that will ever catch on to be very popular in "competitive" gameplay. You have to guess who will attack what and which one to attack and who will be switched into which spot. It at least quadruples the amount of predictions you have to make each turn which makes it so much of a guessing game. That is the main problem I see with it.

However, if Competitor ever gets the "tag" battles added where you can play with an actual teammate against 2 other players...that would be freaking awesome. That is so fun.

I like how short my post is. It is nice when you can get your point across without being an amazing ampharos!

Yeah, if competitor did allow us to team up with someone to play this, this could be an awesome and fun mode.

Justin is right, but some people like that kind of game. The "guessing game" aspect is what makes Protect such a valuable move lol

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think anyone opposes supporting 2v2 in the analyses. It's just a matter of, well, getting some 2v2 experience of our own, or doing some 2v2 theorycraft. That area is pretty unexplored right now.

Pretty much user x amount of kaboomers. We should all go ban Protect/Substitute/Explosion to make this more fun and interesting! I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
The problem with 2vs2 is that it relies more on "lucky predictions" than standard battling. I could go on and on, but 2vs2 just doesn't seem like anything that will ever catch on to be very popular in "competitive" gameplay. You have to guess who will attack what and which one to attack and who will be switched into which spot. It at least quadruples the amount of predictions you have to make each turn which makes it so much of a guessing game. That is the main problem I see with it
"nah"

i'm all for 2v2, was before, am now. we can't have a 2v2 pokedex though because it would deal too much with combos. a separate "2v2 articles" section is just fine and in fact i support it. get some people together and make this a reality!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Pretty much user x amount of kaboomers. We should all go ban Protect/Substitute/Explosion to make this more fun and interesting! I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not.
thats not so much true now with the new deaths (new pokemon are switched in at the end of the turn), and feint (hits through protect and disables it for the rest of the turn). i see 2v2 being a lot more diverse than it was in advanced.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I guess I'll be that guy to point out the fact that the JAA series were all 2v2, and I feel that having support for that style of battling will definitely help Smogoners skills in the next NOA competition, whenever it may be.

2v2 has potential to be very, very interesting and should be exploited in the future imo. A seperate dex is getting a little too far, but some handy articles could be good. The tag team option was great in RS bot (especially the part where each side essentially has 12 Pokemon).

Obviously I think getting 1v1 wrapped up is a priority, but after that we can probably please users such as Footnote with a few well-placed 2v2 analyses. Now where's KKM gone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)