OU Some (more or less) creative stuff from SPL9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Four of the more unusual teams I built for SPL9 for you to enjoy.

Jynx
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Rest
- Blizzard

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct
- Reflect
- Rest

Exeggutor
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Explosion
- Stun Spore

Chansey
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

Slowbro
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Rest
- Reflect

I built this team for roudolf13 in Week 1 and brought it again against Peasounay in Week 4. I was aware Slowbro was a criminally underrated pokémon and I played roudolf for a Master Tournament on PP not long before the Week 1, taking a sound beating... but only losing to expert Reflect Lax maneuvring from him, more often than not. So I went ahead and started thinking about big boss Slowbro, the ultimate abuser of Reflect Laxes, with the Reflect > the usual TWave and a full team built around its cleaning potential. Jynx here is mostly just to absorb sleep - the other leads block sleep powders, sure, but they don't actually activate Sleep Clause, which is what you want with your Slowbro. Jynx can achieve that by healing paralysis with Rest and neutralize Exeggutors for days unless they Explode or Sleep Powder you if you can keep her healthy enough. That plan didn't quite work out perfectly either time, but it still worked because the rest is solid enough - double reflects make it hard to crack and easy to set up for Bro, Boom on Lax alleviates the Zapdos match up.
Credit to Troller for the original idea of Reflect Bro, he shared it with me during WCoPP and I eventually reworked it into this team.

--

Alakazam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Psychic
- Seismic Toss

Cloyster
- Clamp
- Blizzard
- Rest
- Explosion

Victreebel
- Sleep Powder
- Razor Leaf
- Wrap
- Swords Dance

Chansey
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Reflect
- Hyper Beam
- Rest

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard

The infamous Vic Cloy. Built because I realized it was kinda broken and brought it against Metal originally in Week 5, and again versus marcoasd in Week 8. Again, I just kinda realized everyone was on the Reflect Lax bandwagon and looked for ways to punish. Victreebel stood out as its Razor Leaf is brutally powerful and most teams literally don't have an answer for Razor Leaf + Sleep Powder, with Wrap to back you up 85 times out of 100 in case you miss your predict. Cloyster followed because I find it pretty necessary when running Eggyless, the double trap move was a coincidence more than anything. I guess Starmie could also work in that slot if you feel like trying it out; really, Victreebel is a stupid good mon and this team is hyper broken. Complete free wins and I regret not using it more. Shouldn't have been afraid of the Zapdos match up as much as I was.

--

Alakazam
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Psychic
- Recover

Chansey
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Gengar
- Hypnosis
- Thunderbolt
- Seismic Toss
- Explosion

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard

Starmie
- Thunder Wave
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Recover

If there's a man who you can be sure never ever clicks Earthquake with his Snorlax, well, there's way too many people who fit that description, but GGFan is probably the most prominent of them. I built this team for that match in Week 6 to abuse that tendency: Exeggutor is cut to make space for an alternative sleeper in Gengar, which abuses EQless Snorlax a whole lot and gets his openings to sleep especially against Starmie teams thanks to Thunderbolt, but Alakazam only needs a little bad luck to also fall if you predict corrrectly. Unfortunately, in the actual game his Zam got the polar opposite of bad luck and crit my Gengar with a Psychic through paralysis, setting me too far behind to climb back; regardless, I believe this team was a fine pick for my opponent and it would've won the game with a little more luck.

--

Gengar
- Hypnosis
- Thunderbolt
- Night Shade
- Explosion

Chansey
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Cloyster
- Clamp
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Explosion

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard

Exeggutor
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Explosion

I... honestly have no idea how this team came together, or why it works. Just switch Chansey on Thunder Wave turn 1 and start clicking Ice Beam. They'll eventually go Lax, go back to Gengar and get your free ass sleep. Bonus points for freezing something while you're at it. Kinda loses if your opponent doesn't TWave turn 1, so maybe lead Tauros to make that happen more frequently lol. And yea I brought it against roudolf13 in Semis and it lost hard because he didn't twave t1, but I'm pretty confident this team or a close variation of it is actually good and I have no idea why, other for the fact that it consistently wins the sleep war and then plays on that with the entire rest of the team... so yes I guess I do know why it works, somewhat. Go wild, Explosion is a good move

I could've written more but I don't feel like going too in depth. If you notice a trend with things that punish Reflect Lax it's because Reflect Lax is overplayed and has tons of creative, underplayed, actually viable counters. Hope you enjoy the teams n_n

Last edited:

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I feel bad that you didnt have any rates, so I looked for a while to find as good a comment as it is really possible to make in an RBY rmt.

So on team Victreebel + Cloyster, I think this is the time that you probably want earthquake on your Snorlax. I like what you are doing with your Lax sets, but I wouldnt want to have to switch into Rhydon much with that team, and you have two pokemon that are completely walled by Gengar. Quake seems like it would definitely be worth squeezing in over one of those other moves.

Otherwise I like these teams. It's nice to see people putting thought into RBY teambuilding rather than just assembling any old collection of standards will work.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I feel bad that you didnt have any rates, so I looked for a while to find as good a comment as it is really possible to make in an RBY rmt.

So on team Victreebel + Cloyster, I think this is the time that you probably want earthquake on your Snorlax. I like what you are doing with your Lax sets, but I wouldnt want to have to switch into Rhydon much with that team, and you have two pokemon that are completely walled by Gengar. Quake seems like it would definitely be worth squeezing in over one of those other moves.

Otherwise I like these teams. It's nice to see people putting thought into RBY teambuilding rather than just assembling any old collection of standards will work.
EQ on Lax is okay, but considering how much Zapdos threatens that team, any normal move to nuke it is appreciated (hyperbeam/selfdestruct); dropping Reflect+Rest is simply not an option since the whole point of the build is absorbing your opp's lax with yours, forcing it to rest, and using that opportunity to punish with a Victreebel. You'd be picking a slightly easier Rhydon match-up over a slightly easier Zapdos match-up and it's something you don't usually need, it's true that you don't like switching in on it but it's not like Rhydon is an immediate threat and it gives Cloyster free momentum and any situation where you can bring either wrap mon on the field to start dictating the pace is fantastic. If they hit RS on Cloy hats fucking off but it's not like it matters too much since you're always ready to boom it and take a key piece out if it comes to that. I see Rhydon as an already good match-up, I see Gengar as non-existent, and I see Zapdos as a massive threat, hence the normal move. Obviously if you're aiming at consistency EQ Lax is a solid pick, but that kinda goes for every reflectrest Lax ever, doesn't it? It's not a bad pick though, for sure.

Oh and I also realized I never explained the SD > Stun Spore on that Vic, so here: it's mostly a measure to give yourself more breaking power with the Wrapping itself, it can be easily stalled out especially if you start burning wraps early on and wraps on sleeping mons but with wrap doing 2 times as much that's already more challenging, and with wrap doing 4 times as much that's an actual big damaging threat. Stuff like clicking SD as they switch in Alakazam and start chipping down their entire team significantly isn't entirely irrelevant, stuff like going to +6 and murdering Eggys that try to wake 12% at a time rather than 3% at a time isn't entirely irrelevant, stuff like halving the speed of para'd mons in front of you isn't entirely irrelevant, it's not a move you'll find uses for too often but it does have its niche. Stun Spore is absolutely the smarter and safer and more consistent move to run, but SD gives you fanciers breaks and I like being fancy and good at the same time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)