Rejected Song Requests During Battles

Hey there!

This idea occurred to me while I was listening to some Bug Fables music while battling.

I was thinking, during battles, wouldn't it be cool if the players can type in the chat "/sr 'Youtube URL' ", and then whatever URL they put (Ideally a song), it plays in PS instead of the usual battle music you hear when a battle starts? I think that would be a cool way to not only enjoy battles more, but to also introduce your opponent to maybe different genres of music they may find interesting.

In my head, I picture this as a battle starting, the two players say "gl hf", and then one of them types in "/sr 'Youtube URL", and then an option pops up for the opposing player, "Monchan has requested a song. Would you like to Substitute this with the battle music?", and then a "Yes or No" option pops up, and it's up to the opposing player if he would like to hear whatever the opponent put. And then if the opposing player wanted to request a song afterwards, he could, and, let's say, if the opposing player agreed to Monchan's song request, then, when the opposing player requests a song, Monchan wouldn't have the option to say "Yes or No" , because he already requested one. It wouldn't be fair if Monchan didn't listen to what the opponent wanted after the opponent said yes. So, the song would just play automatically.

Obviously with something like this, it can be abused with NSFW stuff people can pull off of Youtube, but that's why we have the option there for the opposing player to allow it or not. Either way, I think this is something that couldn't hurt even if it was implemented. Just an option there if anyone wanted to do it.

Let me know what you guys think~

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I've investigated something similar to this (though not for battles), the problem is that you can't split the audio out of a YouTube video (they explicitly disallow it in their API) so you'd need mp3/mp4 links, which a) is unsafe and b) is difficult af to moderate (also something something bandwidth issues wrt custom music.) With the investigating I did, I don't see this being feasible. I'm going to mark this as rejected for now, but if someone has a better idea to make it work feel free to post.

Last edited:
I've investigated something similar to this (though not for battles), the problem is that you can't split the audio out of a YouTube video (they explicitly disallow it in their API) so you'd need mp3/mp4 links, which a) is unsafe and b) is difficult af to moderate. With the investigating I did, I don't see this being feasible. I'm going to mark this as rejected for now, but if someone has a better idea to make it work feel free to post.
Rip me.

I'm really simple minded when it comes to coding and stuff, but, you know how for discord we can have Rythm Bot? We can't have something like that for PS? Where, it usually plays PS battle music until something is requested?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Rip me.

I'm really simple minded when it comes to coding and stuff, but, you know how for discord we can have Rythm Bot? We can't have something like that for PS? Where, it usually plays PS battle music until something is requested?
For one, PS doesn't have voice support - said bot uses that. PS's battle music is done differently. Also, at least according to what I've been told, custom music wouldn't be good for bandwidth.
(see also previous post for issues with specifying music)
So, in general, no, PS isn't set up for this.
Relevant: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-background-music.3651048/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)