ORAS OU Sound the Drums of War! (Belly Drum Zard X Team)

Title says it all folks. This is a team that revolves around, and supports, a very rarely used (if used at all) Charizard X set. I wanted to try this out because, well, I actually really like Charizard X. I think it has a cool design, a great typing both offensively and defensively, and it puts a lot of pressure on, and really, I wanted to use something unique. Now, this set is incredibly risky, and honestly, the Dragon Dance set could very well be better, in terms of reliability. But in terms of Raw Power....I don't think anything can match this set. And just as an example, here are some damage calcs, before we get into the Team Building Process.

+6 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 232-274 (107.9 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Skarmory: 260-308 (152 - 180.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (After Sturdy is broken)

+5 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Landorus-T: 271-321 (138.2 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 244-288 (121.3 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now that we have some demonstrations of power, time for the team building process I went through to make this team!

006-mega-x.png

First and foremost, Charizard is obviously the main focus of the team. It acts as a mid-late game sweeper, once its checks and counters have been eliminated, or weakened to the point where it can finish them off itself. Despite the overwhelming power Belly Drum gives, X isn't perfect, and needs some good support and backup.

006-mega-x.png
003.png

Charizard's biggest counter in my opinion, especially for this set, is Azumarill. Immune to it's Dragon STAB and resisting its Fire STAB, Charizard can literally do nothing against Azumarill. Bulky Ground and Water types in general, such as Unaware Quagsire will also give X a hard time, so in order to counter this, I chose defensive Venusaur. It acts as a nice check to not only most Ground and Water types, but it Poison typing is also great to deal with certain Fairy types that can also check and counter Charizard.

006-mega-x.png
003.png
184.png

Remember how I said before that regular D-Dance Charizard could potentially be better than this set in terms of reliability? Well yeah, as it turns out, opposing Charizard Xs are a severe problem so far. They can easily outspeed and OHKO my zard X without a Flame Charge Boost. And so, to deal with this problem, I brought in Choice Band Azumarill to not only act as a power Wall Breaker, but is also acts as a great check to opposing ard Xs that aren't running Thunder Punch.

006-mega-x.png
003.png
184.png
530.png

Rocks. Rocks are a HUGE problem for this team. If Charizard comes in with half of it's health missing, there is no way in hell that it can set up a Belly Drum, which defeats the whole purpose of the set. There, Specially Defensive Excadrill is my choice for not only a spinner, but a rock setter as well, allowing for Sturdy and scales to be broken, allows Charizard to pick up important KO's that might have been missed because of this.

006-mega-x.png
003.png
184.png
530.png
646-black.png

Next up, I needed a scarfer that could not only help revenge kill threats, but also clean up the devastation Charizard leaves in its wake should it fail to sweep. In terms of raw power, and unique STAB options, I chose to go with Kyurem-Black. Quite versatile and threatening, Kyurem-Black has proven to be a powerful member of the team.

006-mega-x.png
003.png
184.png
530.png
646-black.png
642.png

Last, but not least, I wanted a Pokemon that could act a both an anti-lead, and Speed Control, while still giving off an offensive presence. The Pokemon that came to mind was of course Thundurus here, thanks to one of the best abilities in the game, Prankster.

With the team building process out of the way, time for an In-depth look on each member of this team!

pkmn___mega_charizard_x_by_kurokitsune777-d6yro31.png

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge
- Roost

Here he is folks. The main star of the show. Charizard X is such a powerful Pokemon thanks to its great typing and STAB options, versatility, and probably what makes it the most viable, the ability Tough Claws. Tough Claws + Any kind of boost is gonna hurt, no matter how you look at it, so when we add Belly Drum put us at +6....well, you better watch out. Now, I'm running Dragon Claw over the far more Powerful Outrage for a few reasons. I don't like locking myself into a move that is immune to what has become one of the most common types to see around these days. I want to be able to freely switch up if I think a Fairy is coming in to take a second Dragon STAB. The other reason is at +6, if I hurt myself in confusion, I'm gone. Finished. And I'm not switching out once I've cut my HP in half. NOT. HAPPENING.

Flame Charge may also seem like a very...odd choice in Fire STAB, as most, if not all Zard Xs run Flare Blitz. Once again, I have my reasoning for this choice. Unfortunately, I have to sacrifice some Speed for added Bulk for this set, and without the Speed Boosting power of Dragon Dance, I'm quite vulnerable to speedy threats. Flame Charge is a way for me to not only dish out Damage, but increase my Speed as well, mitigating this problem at worse, and eliminating it all together at best. Also, once again. Since I'm already cutting my HP down to half, I'd rather not take the massive amount of recoil sure to follow. And finally, Roost. Great for getting HP back after taking some damage, or great for recovering after Belly Drum if used correctly.

pokemon__venusaur_by_mark331-d64ze8v.jpg

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

As I stated in the team building Process, Azumarill completely and utterly walls me. No joke. So in order to not only check Azumarill, but to also take care of other threats like bulky Ground types, and Bulky Water types in general, I decided to use Venusaur. This is a fully defensive set, with Giga Drain as the main STAB option here, allowing it to get some HP back while dealing damage. Sludge Bomb acts as secondary STAB, as certain Fairy types can also give Zard X a hard time. Synthesis is a great recovery move, keeping Venusaur healthy, while finally Leech Seed can take advantage of predicted switches, and take advantage of opposing walls. Chlorophyll as an ability may seem weird for a defensive Pokemon on a team with no sun, but Venusaur can actually take advantage of opposing Sun team's Sun, with its Speed doubling AND getting more HP back with Synthesis.

175853i4CEDC59C97958C3E

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Choice Band Azumarill is a great Wallbreaker thanks to its wonderful Water/Fairy typing, and its Ability Huge Power. However, Azumarill's Wallbreaking potential isn't the only reason I'm using it. Azumarill can also check opposing Charizard Xs, which can really give this team trouble. With EVs to make is bulky but hard hitting, Priority Aqua Jet is going to be the main move to click for faster threats, taking huge amounts of damage. Waterfall acts another Water STAB option, to take on threats that won't be taken out by Aqua Jet, or that are just slower than Azumarill. Play Rough is probably Azumarill's most devastating STAB, at least when it comes to Dragon Types, while Superpower provides Azumarill with some nice versatility against Steel-types predicting the common Belly Drum set.

Excadrill.full.1471772.jpg

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

It's funny. I never realized just how often I use Excadrill on my teams. I'm not a huge fan of Excadrill to be honest...I mean, it's a cool Pokemon, just not my favourite. However, the amount of times it has made it onto my teams is proof of how good, and surprisingly versatile it can be. Hence this set. A specially defensive Spinner/Rock Setter for the team. Rocks are a huge hazard that completely shuts BellyZard X down, and so I need someone to get rid of them. I chose Air Balloon to avoid Ground Type attacks, which give Excadrill a hard time. I was originally going to go with Assault Vest, but I really wanted the power to break Sturdy on Skarmory and similar defensive threats with Stealth Rock. Iron Head allows Excadrill to also act as a Fairy Check/Counter, while Earthquake is just a great, powerful STAB option to hit a lot for neutral damage.

black_kyurem_by_namh-d4rrv3d.jpg

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

Kyurem for me, is the exact opposite of Excadrill. I love Kyurem, however I never seem to use it, in any of its Formes. I have finally got the chance to really use it on this team, and it has proved to be a monster. Acting as a Physically biased mixed Scarf, Kyurem-Black acts as a versatile Revenge Killer as well as a cleaner, sweeping up weakened Pokemon near the end of a battle. Ice team it the only Special Move on here, and provides as Ice STAB for Kyurem, which the team can take advantage of. Outrage is powerful Dragon STAB, and while I didn't want to use it on Zard X, I have no problem locking myself into it with this guy, especially when there are no Fairy types around, and it is a guaranteed sweep. Fusion Bolt is mandatory as it provides with some great coverage, and just insane power, while Iron Head is a great option against threats like Mega Altaria.

lord_of_the_thunder_thundurus_by_namh-d3desvm.jpg

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

What's better than spinning away those pesky Stealth Rocks? Why, stopping them from ever happening of course! Thunrudus is a great Anti-Lead thanks to Prankster. It can Taunt leads and stop them from setting up Rocks, Spikes, and Sticky Webs, while also stopping Set-up Sweepers in their tracks, such as Cosmic Power Clefable, and D-Dance Altaria. Thunder Wave is also great as it allows Thundurus to act as a Speed Control agent, slowing down fast Pokemon that would give Zard X a hard time. Thundrurus however, is an offensive anti-lead, so Life Orb and Max Special Attack EVs are paired with STAB Thunderbolt and Focus Blast for some great coverage against Steel and Dark types.

Yikes. Two hours of working on this RMT, and it has got to be the most in-depth one I have ever made. So yeah, I would really appreciate some opinions and feed back on the team, but I do ask one thing: Do not suggest I switch BellyZard X to the D-Dance set. That defeats the whole purpose of this team. I have been told by someone that "I won't be able to get this off" but I have been able too. The set does work. Is it always easy? No. Is it worth it? Yes. Do I believe this set is too gimmicky to be effective? Nope. Played right, this BellZard X can be a legitimate threat, not just a gimmick. Well, there we have it. I hope to her from people soon!

Hey man, nice team you have there. i do however have a couple of suggestions.
  • I believe that some pokemon that threaten your team are Gardevoir and Talonflame. With Gardevoir's dual STAB Moves+Focus Blast for great coverage, there aren't many switch ins on your team. Your only hope in defeating it is checking it with Scarf Kyurem or tanking one Focus Blast with Excadrill. Talonflame is even a bigger threat to the team because once it sets up a Swords Dance whether it's on Venusaur(or Excadrill if they find out your yet), you get 6-0ed. Every Pokemon on your team bar Excadrill gets OHKOed by +2 Brave Bird after Stealth Rocks are up and Excadrill dies to a +2 Flare Blitz.
  • Solution? I believe the a Standard Sand Offensive core that consists of Excadrill and Tyranitar is your answer, T-Tar replacing Venusaur. I understand that you have an Azumarill weakness which is why you added Venusaur in the first place, but Kyurem B should be able to check the Belly Drum set since it tanks +6 Aqua Jet. Thundurus I can also check Belly Drum Azumarill if it hasn't set up yet. Tyranitar over Venusaur will give you another Stealth Rock user as well as Pursuit for the Latis, 2 of Charizard X's checks. It also enables Excadrill to go a more offensive Sand Rush sweeper set for Mega Gardevoir and weakens Azumarill to the point where it's not a threat anymore.
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
  • This does make you a lot weaker to Choice Band Azumarill. Excadrill can't damage it with an EQ since it will just die to an Aqua Jet and nothing on your team is switching into a CB Waterfall/Play Rough. How to deal with this threat? Well, there are a couple of ways. Keeping Thundurus I healthy is one option, but I was also thinking about putting Speed on your CB Azumarill to outspeed other CB Azus. If your CB Azumarill outspeeds your opponent's Azumarill, you will get atleast 80% on it, putting it in range of Charizard X's Flame Charge/Kyurem B's Ice Beam.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Hope I helped! :]

Hey man, nice team you have there. i do however have a couple of suggestions.
  • I believe that some pokemon that threaten your team are Gardevoir and Talonflame. With Gardevoir's dual STAB Moves+Focus Blast for great coverage, there aren't many switch ins on your team. Your only hope in defeating it is checking it with Scarf Kyurem or tanking one Focus Blast with Excadrill. Talonflame is even a bigger threat to the team because once it sets up a Swords Dance whether it's on Venusaur(or Excadrill if they find out your yet), you get 6-0ed. Every Pokemon on your team bar Excadrill gets OHKOed by +2 Brave Bird after Stealth Rocks are up and Excadrill dies to a +2 Flare Blitz.
  • Solution? I believe the a Standard Sand Offensive core that consists of Excadrill and Tyranitar is your answer, T-Tar replacing Venusaur. I understand that you have an Azumarill weakness which is why you added Venusaur in the first place, but Kyurem B should be able to check the Belly Drum set since it tanks +6 Aqua Jet. Thundurus I can also check Belly Drum Azumarill if it hasn't set up yet. Tyranitar over Venusaur will give you another Stealth Rock user as well as Pursuit for the Latis, 2 of Charizard X's checks. It also enables Excadrill to go a more offensive Sand Rush sweeper set for Mega Gardevoir and weakens Azumarill to the point where it's not a threat anymore.
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
  • This does make you a lot weaker to Choice Band Azumarill. Excadrill can't damage it with an EQ since it will just die to an Aqua Jet and nothing on your team is switching into a CB Waterfall/Play Rough. How to deal with this threat? Well, there are a couple of ways. Keeping Thundurus I healthy is one option, but I was also thinking about putting Speed on your CB Azumarill to outspeed other CB Azus. If your CB Azumarill outspeeds your opponent's Azumarill, you will get atleast 80% on it, putting it in range of Charizard X's Flame Charge/Kyurem B's Ice Beam.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Hope I helped! :]

Hey there, thanks for the input. I have tested out the changes you suggested, and while I'm totally fine with the Azuarill change, the change from Venusaur to Tyranitar and the changes in Excadrill, not so much. The team doesn't really seem to be working as well with those two.

Hello,really nice team here i love the idea of using flame charge + belly drum on Zard-X ! however it have many problem but i'll try to fix them

I don't really like using Venusaur non-mega in OU because Amoonguss/Celebi are doing the work better than him and his only niche is to be used as sun sweeper in team with Zard-Y.
Thundurus-I isn't really an anti-lead (because with the teampreview there are no really anymore anti-lead),taunt was a thing when there wasn't baton pass clause but now its really bad because you loose a coverage move for it.
Your team have big problem with Dark Spam(mainly Bisharp) since there are literally no check in your team.
Kyurem-B isn't really amazing scarfer since it take stealth rock(just this is enough to being a bad revenge killer for many guys and me too) and unlike other common scarfer (Landorus-T/Keldeo) it doesn't have really 'key resistence/immunity' (when Landorus-T have acces to intimidate,ground/electric immunity and when Keldeo have an important dark resistence)
Your team have also problem with Scarf Landorus-T (other variant too) which can just force your mon out and using U-turn,Excadrill is the your only 'pseudo ground immunity' and its really bad.

First of all,i'll change your Venusaur and use Celebi instead of him, Celebi can check most of threat which Venusaur can check (Azumarill,Manaphy) but it can also check other powerfull attacker like M-Lopunny/M-Medicham,it have acces to Recover which is better than Synthesis (because sand storm reduce health gained by it),Substitue allow him to setup on mon which can't really hit him and than you can bring in late game(or even in early game) your Zard-X behind a Sub since he resist common fire types attack(it will help him to setup with ease belly drum/flame charge)

Most annoying to face with this core will be Scarf Landorus-T which will be able to just spam U-turn/Earthquake which are really annoying and which will force you always for 50/50,my solution would be to play a rocky helmet/(other ability which have the same utility) which will punish him from spamming u-turn,Garchomp/Landorus-T can doing this for you but i feel Garchomp is better because it can be used as dark check(Bisharp,Crawdaunt) which is really important and which will be able to work as better stealth rocker than Excadrill

As BreloomMyHomie said it,a Standard Sand Offensive core that consists of Excadrill and Tyranitar would work well on your team since you are using Garchomp as stealth rocker right now,Excadrill would be your revenge killer thanks to its ability sand rush which allow him outspeed every mon in the metagame under the sand,it will save you from dragon dancer like Zard-X/Altaria.

I didn't really found Thundurus-I was really important in this team,i recommend to use Tyranitar over him which will work as sand streamer which will be able to set the sand for your Excadrill,Scarf set would be cool here since you will able to trapkill some annoying mon like Lati@s/Gengar/Starmie.

There are few set for Azumarill,BD/AV/Lure natural gift fire/Band but i think the choice band version is better in your team since you will be able to revenge kill some threats by using Aqua Jet.

celebi.gif

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 44 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Recover

azumarill.gif

Azumarill @ Choice Band