Hobbies Speedrunning

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! I've loved to watch speedrunning, beating a video game as fast as you can, for a long while, and I've recently gotten into it myself. With speedrunners and their communities growing bigger by the second, there's no shortage of record, stories, and even drama!

A few things that come to mind:
  • Have you done a speedrun? Got any good stories? Tell us about your games–there's a lot that speedrunners can notice and appreciate that most people won't catch!
  • Do you like watching speedrunners? Some people live for the hardest exploits and cutting-edge tricks, while others love a charming personality trying their best, and some are both!
  • Are there issues you think the speedrun community should address more? How can we better appreciate the labbers, trick-finders, TASers, and more that contribute so much to breaking records? How can we better detect and respond to cheating?
I'll be talking about my own experiences in a sec, so stay tuned!

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1668365963531.png

I run Kirby Star Allies: Guest Star: Adeleine & Ribbon. It's a very niche category, with only six posted times on speedrun.com (including my own), but that's okay! What matters is that you're enjoying yourself, and I love this mode. You run through an abbreviated version of the main-game with Adeleine and Ribbon, 87 stages including bosses. The best time on speedrun.com is 35:22.870, and the category uses in-game time. Here are my times:

Best Time: 36:06.43. About a minute shy of the record.
Sum of Best Splits (11): 35:19.89. Below record time, woo!
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 2.27.43 PM.png

Speedrun.com listing (outdated):
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 1.59.31 PM.png

It shows 60th place because the listing includes Guest Star runs with all characters, many of which are faster than what is likely possible for Adeleine & Ribbon.

Over the past few weeks, I've brought my time down from well into the 40s to nearly 36:00.00, and I'm shooting for best time!

There's tons of reasons I love this speedrun, and why I'd recommend Guest Star speedruns to any newcomer like me!
  • Character flexibility. There's 36 different characters you can run with and many play totally different. Want to whack stuff around with Dedede's big hammer, shoot balls of magic and summon black holes as Magolor, or even suplex them as Bugzzy or Beetely? Go for it! If there's one Kirby game you love, there's almost certainly a character from it you can play! Unlike with normal Kirby gameplay, there's no risk you lose your ability when you take damage, so you can focus on the fun.
  • Chill vibes! The run is measured by in-game time, and the game gives you many explicit break moments where that timer doesn’t run, so you can take time to catch your breath. The game also explicitly announces your time at the 11 checkpoints (which restore your health to full), which makes keeping track of splits easier for newcomers like me. The lovely Kirby environment and music makes everything even nicer.
  • Great duration. Top times range from about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on your character. Enough time to make some mistakes here and there and still have a good results, but short enough that resetting a run from a mistake doesn't sting that much.
There's also lots of reasons I love Adeleine & Ribbon specifically. Most obviously, I love Kirby 64! It's definitely my favorite Kirby game, and seeing these two return just gives me so much joy. But there's more!

Adeleine & Ribbon are very well-rounded and flexible, which suits my energy perfectly. They can paint enemies into battle, paint bosses to ride on and cause chaos with Ado's Painter, and even heal themselves and their friends! Riding Kracko gives you enormous 360 range with full aerial flexibility, while Ice Dragon's freezing breath shreds through enemies and bosses. Ribbon's flight makes their aerial control super smooth too. They're easy to play but have plenty of depth: Fairy Dance's invincibility, the rideable bosses, and the healing help you stick around a lot, and there's only a few moves you need to learn, but being able to summon enemies and ride bosses of your choice, as well as their many unique hitboxes on attacks, give you a lot of options for beating levels and bosses.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Used to speedrun and had WR for Kirby Canvas Curse, which got me namedropped during GloriousLiar's AGDQ run of the game, my one claim to glory.

1668387901237.png
1668387828831.png

Then a random Japanese guy who hadn't done a single speedrun before named Wakaza came out of nowhere, absolutely DESTROYED me and GL's times (as in like a 10 minute lead), and then went on tear and destroyed the WRs for a bunch of other Kirby games lmfao (2 minute lead). I am proud to call myself Wakaza's First Victim, kid is crazy good at Kirby go watch his speedruns.

I will say that Canvas Curse is very different from most speedgames in that not only have I never bothered to seriously route it, I don't think there's much of a point until you get to Wakaza's level; considering how much jank there is and how execution-heavy the game is (it is VERY easy to lose time to small execution mistakes, and having a death is a real possibility) having a route isn't going to save you that much time over just getting better at your movement. That being said, that does make it a very appealing speedrun for me and one that has a pretty low barrier to entry; once you have the tech skill and a general feel for the game and how to get/maintain speed, everything else you kinda just have to play by feel.

In any case, I'll also echo Kirbymastah and say that I HIGHLY recommend you all watch GL's TAS of the game, it's absolutely bonkers (the general movement tech is not at all RTA viable, but it's possible some of the clipping could be implemented in Wii U VC, though no one's been consistent enough not even Wakaza)

I've thought about getting into speedrunning but i'm not really keen on taking it seriously, I don't even really follow the community that much these days. I'm probably never running Canvas Curse again lol unless someone else beats my time; the skill gap between me and Wakaza is WAYYYY too large, and people who've tried to pick up the game like Shasta quickly realized the game is a lot harder than it seems...although there IS a clipping glitch that might be possible with Burning that I've thought about looking into. If I do get back into speedrunning, it'll probably be to run The World Ends With You DS, since I love that game and I feel like the WR can definitely be shaved down with some riskier strats (although I would have to actually route it :blobastonished:), maybe Mega Man ZX since it's a fast game that I absolutely love, or maybe some random retro games like Super Mario Land idk. I've thought about speedrunning Hades or One Step From Eden as well, but I'm not really sure if the routes will be something I'm interested in. Speedrunning is ultimately something you do for fun, so you have to pick a game and a speedrun that you actually enjoy :p

Come of think of it, I'll probably have some free time next February, so maybe I'll do the 12 Hour Challenge....

Last edited:

Adeleine

1668367999680.png
KSA Adeleine & Ribbon Guide / Nerd Zone
1668367999680.png
(credit)
Here I really dig into the nuts and bolts of speedrunning as Adeleine & Ribbon. I'm all self taught, this is just my POV, could be improved, yadda yadda. I'll likely add more to this later.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 2.44.36 PM.png
Ado's Painter
(credit)
Ado's Painter is usually the fastest way to beat bosses or large groups of enemies. You choose either Kracko, Ice Dragon, or Waiu, riding them until you take a hit or expend a generous time limit.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 2.53.07 PM.png
Kracko
Kracko is the all-rounder and shines against aerial bosses. It can fly freely, attack a wide circle around it with the shown beams, or shoot a lingering lightning bolt directly downward. The beams are best. You can stick close to bosses with them for massive damage, especially if you stay closer to a boss, or you can move around while using beams to cover a wide swathe of enemies, especially vertically. The lightning bolt is occasionally ideal in specific situations, like when phase 1 Zan Partizanne has her back to the wall and covers a large portion of the area near her by slashing her partisan. There, being higher above her can help.

When using the beams, their starting position and rotation direction depend on which way you are facing. This occasionally matters for getting certain hits as quickly as possible, especially the final hits on bosses or crumpled mini-bosses.

Kracko flies as fast as Ribbon does. You can enter doors with it just fine–just be aware it will expire in the transition–so feel free to do that.

At the start and after every checkpoint, Kracko will always be the fastest boss you can select with Ado's Painter. That's great!
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 3.02.56 PM.png
Ice Dragon (credit)
Ice Dragon quickly damages grounded enemies, clumps of enemies, and bosses. That Ice Breath you see is his best move. Beyond its high damage and ability to linger when you hold the button, it can freeze enemies. This includes some large enemies that take longer to defeat, like the giant Waddle Dee constructions, instantly defeating them. Frozen enemies can be pushed, including with Ice Breath itself, to hurt other enemies, and any enemies spawning on frozen enemies take damage, though these come up rarely.

Like with Kracko, moving while using Ice Breath lets you cover large swathes of enemies. You can quickly jump and you can turn the Ice Breath around, unlike with Kracko's beams. However, Ice Dragon lacks free flight, though he does have a funky little hover I haven't got much use from.

Ice Dragon has two other attacks I haven't got much use of. It can make a block of ice and push it forward, which may slightly optimize damage on bosses if you time it a certain way: the block hits the boss just as they become vulnerable/spawn in, but in a way that lets you immediately start using Ice Breath as they become vulnerable. I haven't got around to testing this or getting use from it, though, and I imagine it has marginal-to-zero benefit. Ice Dragon can stomp and summon icicles around him, but I'm not sure how this would be useful, since the attack is somewhat slow, and you can easily turn around with Ice Breath to cover both back and front.

Walking with Ice Dragon is slower than running. You'll want to eject from him in the aftermath of defeating mid-bosses, for example, so you don't have to slowly walk all the way to the door.

Ice Dragon starts second in the selection order. It usually isn't too hard to access, as you'll find situations to use Kracko and thereby bump Ice Dragon up to first. Trust me.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 3.14.14 PM.png
Waiu ☆☆☆ (credit)
Waiu struggles to find use for me, unfortunately. Their main attack is throwing cutters, which are somewhat slow but have good horizontal range. However, in almost any situation where you'd want this, just start flying with Ribbon and use the shard gun, which is faster to initiate and more flexible. If you just want horizontal damage in general, use Ice Dragon's Ice Breath.

The main use I've found for Waiu is maximizing DPS in specific limited situations where accessing Kracko or Ice Dragon would take too long. On my current route, Phase 1 Dedede and Phase 1 Meta Knight jump out. They also have a teleport and summoned spikeball, which I assume have marginal utility I haven't gotten around to, like Ice Dragon's Ice Block.

Managing Ado's Painter
The Ado's Painter bosses are always in a given order. If you input the command and let go immediately, you will summon the first in the order. If you keep holding, Adeleine's canvas will slowly rotate between showing all of the bosses. She will draw whichever the canvas shows when you let go.

There are many opportunities to summon the first boss in the order without losing much time, especially as enemies or bosses spawn in. Waiting until the second boss shows up takes considerably more time and is harder to squeeze in, though there are some chances. Sometimes, you can bring one boss up during dead time, like before some cutscenes, to paint the second boss in the order once the cutscene ends. A significant part of routing this speedrun is understanding and managing which boss is first in the order.

When you start the speedrun and after every checkpoint, the order becomes Kracko -> Ice Dragon -> Waiu. This is nice of the game, roughly ordering them from more helpful to less helpful. When you paint a boss or see it on the canvas, that boss moves to last in the order. For example, if you paint Kracko, Kracko expires, you wait five rooms, and you start to paint Ice Dragon but get interrupted mid-painting, Waiu will be first in the order next time.

All bosses from Ado's Painter have 1 health and disappear when you get hit. Not only will you lose time using Ado's Painter again, but the order of bosses may not be friendly to you, so do try and not get hit!

If you are riding a boss for the full length of a generous timer, it will expire, and you will pop in the air for a bit. This loses some time and is not ideal. You'll want to find a window to voluntarily eject or, if you're Kracko, ride it to a door and enter.

The actual act of painting a boss creates a hitbox with a bit of damage, which can help towards optimal damage sometimes.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 3.39.07 PM.png
Ribbon's Crystal ★☆ (credit)
Once you start flying with Ribbon, you can use her Crystal Gun, and it's fantastic. Each one shot shoots two crystals that go a far distance horizontal at moderate speed. With their only moderate speed, it's ideal to be as close to enemies as possible. The two crystals will differ in height and trajectory slightly–think Ivysaur's Razor Leaf from Smash Bros., but with less extreme height variation, and you shoot two at once. This is your primary attack for being in the air–unless you're riding Kracko of course.

You can fly around while shooting crystals, which gives you a lot of flexibility. Making good use of the gun and two crystals per shot can clear enemies and obstacles in cycles that may not seem possible initially. There's lots of little room for for optimization, like timing the crystals to hit an enemy just as they spawn. However, using the gun slows down your speed, so you should only use it as much as you need to.

Ideally you'll want to be using a boss for DPS and beating large groups of enemies, but there are situations where you don't have enough dead time to paint one usefully, and you'll end up using this instead.

1668372634498.png
Fairy Dance (credit)
Adeleine summons Ribbon, and they do an adorable spin. You can slightly move left or right while using the move. It has good invincibility and range.

Besides hand-carrying serotonin to your bloodstream, this move is primarily your best close-quarters combat option when Kracko isn't available. Phase 2 King Dedede in my current route comes to mind. It's also generally useful if you end up in a tight spot, like unexpectedly losing the boss you were riding. The invincibility and slight motion can shine in getting through certain groups of enemies or obstacles quickly–damage boosting is almost always slower in such cases.

1668372999515.png
Al Fresco
Adeleine paints food for healing; only a small amount if it's just her and Ribbon, but much more with a full team of friends. Sharing food between friends means your whole group can go to or near full health. Ideally, you shouldn't be using it too much. It takes a lot of time, time Ado's Painter competes for, and Checkpoints and Health Boosts restore your health to full. However, there are specific spots of dead time it shines, and how cool is it to have free healing in the back pocket!
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.24.26 PM.png
Painter (credit)
Adeleine randomly paints one of four past enemies: Batamon, Ghost Knight, I³, or Octagon. These move and attack for a short time before disappearing.

Painter can be tricky to work with; besides the randomness, many times you'd want to use it, you'd use Ado's Painter instead. That aside, there are definitely good specific situations to use it, and Painter RNG only has tiny effects on the run.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.24.12 PM.png
Batamon
Batamon walks quickly forward, turning the other way if it hits an obstacle. Great for dealing with enemies, who Batamon easily plows through without stopping. Less great against bosses, because it only gets one hit before turning around.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.50.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.55.16 PM.png
Ghost Knight and Octagon
(credit)
Ghost Knight and Octagon walk (float?) forward some, attack for a bit, and repeat. I believe the differences are Ghost Knight does more damage, Ghost Knight can jump, Octagon attacks slightly quicker, and Octagon doesn't have gravity if you paint it mid-air, but these differences don't end up mattering too much. Both are great for bosses.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.52.13 PM.png

I³ slowly rises up and to the right, pounds downward in one high-damage attack, and repeats. I³ has difficulty being ideal in practice due to how the routing turns out-I'll explain there when it's relevant.

1668373292897.png
Canvas Cover ?????
(credit)

This guard move makes you immune to attacks, but Fairy Dance's invincibility makes that pretty unnecessary. The real allure is this:

"When released, paint is sprayed around Adeleine to deal damage. By tapping both the direction and L/R buttons, Canvas Cover can be repeated very quickly and deal massive damage to enemies nearby."

How good is this? I don't know! The top time used this + a turbo controller, but I do not have a turbo controller, and I do not want to hurt my wrists too much! So I haven't played around with it. Maybe you can utilize it well without hurting your wrists, or you have a turbo controller, so if you're interested in trying it out, by all means.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 8.47.21 PM.png
Brush Slash

Adeleine swings her paintbrush in front of her, splattering damaging paint. It only works on the ground, only covers one side, doesn't let you move, and doesn't do enormous damage, so it's a bit tricky to find use for, but it finds time now and again. Its range is great for how quickly you can use it.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.47.12 PM.png
Brush Force
Like dashing, except you hit anything in front of you! A sweet deal? Not quite. Actually hitting an enemy pushes you back, which is (almost always) the opposite direction of where we want to go. Its damage isn't that high either. However, breaking blocks doesn't push you back, so there's one situation Brush Force is optimal, and you can dash with style.

My Routing
Coming soon!

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not too much experience here but a few things to make note of:

As far as full games go, me and my old college roommate used to play the original Luigi's Mansion around every Halloween to see if we could beat it in a few hours. And we did! Nowhere near a record time or anything but it was still fun. Haven't done it in a few years since we both moved away but good memories.

Another one I haven't done in a few years is beating Rocket Slime for the DS in a day. Honestly it's one of my favorite DS games, really underrated, and it's short and fun so I'd recommend to anyone. Again, nothing even close to the record but still, I need to revisit someday.

I made a thread in Smogoff about this, but I really weirdly got into the horse racing in Dragon Quest XI, grinding for some low times and achieving what would have been a world record if it hadn't got sniped by someone else like two days before me lol. Didn't bump that thread but this summer I actually improved my time (twice). I tried submitting this to the leaderboards but this time I got rejected for not having video proof, despite not having video proof either the first time I submitted. I was a little peeved but oh well, what can you do. I'm definitely done with speedrunning horse racing though, I spent too much time to get that last tenth of a second off... until my next new file that is.

I have also tried speedrunning the first level of Celeste. I thought I could go pretty blazing fast through it but when I checked the leaderboard I was like 20 seconds behind the lightspeed record that was doing things I didn't even know were possible in the game.

I got a bunch of speedruns myself, all of them being Puyo Puyo games.

This RunRun run is technically a World Record, beating the best IGT by 1 second, but since I didn't show the difficulty in the settings, I can't submit it.

And finally two single-level speedruns.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can't sleep so might as well post here.

I've done a couple "casual" speedruns I'd guess you'd call them. I when I was a kid I owned the GBA version of Super Mario World and figured out that you can beeline for Bowser's Castle via Star Road. Think I beat the game from a fresh file in like 30 minutes to an hour that way? Obviously not an optimal run in the slightest but a good time.

I've also watched a fair number of runs over the years, mostly through GDQ uploads. This 100% Jak and Daxter run is one of my favorites since the runner and his couch are shitposting the entire time.

More if a Let's Play than a speedrun tbh but he still pulled off some cool stuff.

I'd also highly recommend looking up Summoning Salt on YouTube. He does videos about the history of various games and their speedrunning scenes. Great channel.

Last edited:

SquirtleBox

Banned deucer.
Hi! I've loved to watch speedrunning, beating a video game as fast as you can, for a long while, and I've recently gotten into it myself. With speedrunners and their communities growing bigger by the second, there's no shortage of record, stories, and even drama!

A few things that come to mind:
  • Have you done a speedrun? Got any good stories? Tell us about your games–there's a lot that speedrunners can notice and appreciate that most people won't catch!
  • Do you like watching speedrunners? Some people live for the hardest exploits and cutting-edge tricks, while others love a charming personality trying their best, and some are both!
  • Are there issues you think the speedrun community should address more? How can we better appreciate the labbers, trick-finders, TASers, and more that contribute so much to breaking records? How can we better detect and respond to cheating?
I'll be talking about my own experiences in a sec, so stay tuned!

Huge huge speedrunning nut here! Used to be a lot more active in some smaller running communities like Fable TLC and Anniversary, used to have a leaderboard spot but never kept up with any% after all the intense / precise menu exploits became the meta in Anniversary and TLC is kinda just, really meh these days.

I have a lot of opinions on issues the community should address though, kind of like how some games need more refined any%...Anniversary being one of them...the menu'ing can be so presice and it makes such a signifigent difference that I think Menu exploiting should be part of it's own category, or at least Exp / Skill manip being seperate from Menu Manips so Merchent exploits can still be used, which are pretty much used by everyone casually anyways.,

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Huge huge speedrunning nut here! Used to be a lot more active in some smaller running communities like Fable TLC and Anniversary, used to have a leaderboard spot but never kept up with any% after all the intense / precise menu exploits became the meta in Anniversary and TLC is kinda just, really meh these days.

I have a lot of opinions on issues the community should address though, kind of like how some games need more refined any%...Anniversary being one of them...the menu'ing can be so presice and it makes such a signifigent difference that I think Menu exploiting should be part of it's own category, or at least Exp / Skill manip being seperate from Menu Manips so Merchent exploits can still be used, which are pretty much used by everyone casually anyways.,
iirc the reason the 1 Star and 16 Star categories exist for Mario 64 is precisely because the skips required to do 0 Star (the first two Bowser doors) are really fucking hard to pull off. You could always go back and try to set a new standard for the game you mentioned.

Speaking of Mario 64, it appears that a new WR was set for 0 Star last month.

SquirtleBox

Banned deucer.
iirc the reason the 1 Star and 16 Star categories exist for Mario 64 is precisely because the skips required to do 0 Star (the first two Bowser doors) are really fucking hard to pull off. You could always go back and try to set a new standard for the game you mentioned.

Speaking of Mario 64, it appears that a new WR was set for 0 Star last month.
Fable's community is super set on the categories we have, and at the end of the day they work just fine. The biggest issue, for a lot of people, is how the menu manipulations basically require insane perfeclt mouse, keyboard, and controller (in some cases) positioning and for a lot of people the dexterity check becomes less about skill in the game and more about remembering an entire 3 minute sequence of spending / refunding exp. If you mess up, you don't know till it's over so the run is dead. Older strats were basically just using the Arena questline (basically a free 10 minutes of spamming spells for xp) to accumulate all the exp they'd need for the rest of the run and never have to farm or spend xp again. Hell, even boomers like me still do a early game skip to get an end game weapon to save time using menu manipulation (same as the exp stuff but so much easier cause it's one menu and not 4 menues + sub menues) to buy shop weapons as you progress.

Just seems like a lot of any% strats people find these days are insanely technical in every game.

Hell, even Borderlands 2 just had a new major skip discovered in a DLC bossfight. You basically drop a ton of a shield that deflects bullets in the boss arena so a certain enemy mob picks it up, you shoot at each other, stack and store damage, and the boss just instantly dies from what's essentially 9,999,999 damage multiplied by like 830% off skills? The skip is great for farming casually but anyone who does GIB (save editor) runs is just going to get their run times killed by RNG if the enemies don't shoot enough to deflect or don't spawn with the right weapons to deal enough splash.

Speedrunnings evolved so much.

I speedrun a bunch of racing games from my childhood, the one I put the most efforts in is Need For Speed Carbon that I got lucky enough to showcase at European Speedrunner Assembly at the beginning of the year

I went back there as a tourist this summer and now my main motivation to speedrun stuff is to be able to go to events like that again because in-person events is by far the best thing you can do in gaming. That means exploring other games, cuz I can't showcase the same game over and over, but I might go back to Carbon someday cuz my PB feels improvable and I'd like to do a Game 100% run at least once

So I was thinking about Pokémon Red challenges I could do. I know that game really well, maybe I could do it with no Pokémon Centers? Not hard by challenge standards, but hard by my standards! Then I was thinking could a run be completed blindfolded? Surely no right? That's impossible.

Well not only is it possible to beat Pokémon Red blindfolded, there's actually speed run categories for it. It blows my mind what people are capable of doing just for a challenge.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The game in question unfortunately doesn’t have nearly the following it deserves, but I recently came up with own “introduction to speedrunning”, so to speak, with the help of my favorite Pokémon game, that being Ranger 3. The game has these wireless multiplayer missions players were able to do in groups of up to four players. The catch is, these missions were (excluding the Deoxys event) specifically designed to also be possible to complete in single player.

This is where speedrunning comes into the equation. To complete these, you have to capture the Boss Pokémon at the end before the mission’s time limit runs out, and to access the Boss Pokémon you must first complete a different objective depending on the mission. I’ve had an absolute blast playing through some of these, practicing faster routes in an effort to complete the missions as fast as possible.

From what I am aware of, this has yet to be made into an unofficial community category the same way people might have leaderboards for other popular games. I would imagine top-level speedruns within these missions would be accomplished on profiles with a maxed-out player level and all the missions unlocked, and could have a format with a traditional speedrun timer as well as a format based on how much time is remaining when the mission in question is completed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)