Spikey or Thorny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, to those who are arguing that Pokemon teaches morals/ethics, let me point something out to you. This is a game that seems to condone and/or shows:
2. Single mothers. In every generation but one (3rd) our Pokemon Mothers were single housekeepers. The one generation that blessed us with a father also had him several cities away running a gym, a pretty sucky one at that. "Really Dad, Zigzagoon's????"
What is wrong with single mothers? As for them being housekeepers we don't know if they had jobs and just happened to be home when we flew back home after we had finished our journey.

What is wrong with single mothers? As for them being housekeepers we don't know if they had jobs and just happened to be home when we flew back home after we had finished our journey.
Nothing wrong with Single Mothers at all, however coming from an area where it is a concentrated number of them, it is usually much harder to go on through life. Not saying Pokemon has to show the "American Dream," but this isn't a generally good message. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Note on whether she has a job. She does give us a map and shoes, but that's about it for showing of her own income. Now think about when she's our bank and shopping with our money lol. I also find it very unlikely that she just happens to always be home when we are if she has a job.

However, I don't want this to get off topic, the point of the giveaway is educational value so let us stick to that. Thanks for your interest though.

I work at an after school program and most of the boys and a few girls i work with love pokemon. When they heard that I (a 24 year old) played the pokes they were overjoyed. I faced a few and they were all in awe of my team so i started telling them some of the more basic aspects of the game like effort values and natures which none of them knew what they were all about. I printed off a few sheets that had the EV's of all the pokes. Now many of them sit there studying the charts and keeping track of the EV's their pokes are getting. I thought it was cool how many of them got into the number calculations. I can't seem to get them to focus on their math homework but i don't need to say a word to get them to use basic adding math skills on there pokemon. It was crazy to see how much more comfortable some of the 1st and 2nd graders where with there math after doing just a few pokemon clubs(that's what we call them) with the kids. If kids are forced to learn basic math by using abstract objects or concepts like apples/oranges or jane is 4 inches taller then michael and rabecca is half as tall as jane... the kids lose focus because they simply don't care about jane or michael. Since many are in engrossed in pokemon they care about it so they want to do the math for their team. Pokemon from what i have seen is definitely Edutainment, heck i just found this site 3 days ago and am learning so much. Thanks Smogon, oh and mikereyes for the giveaway!

oh and i would like I'm Thorny if I place.

I'm working towards a degree in Spanish on the way to a Master's in bilingual education. Currently aiming on 6th grade. At this point (nowadays) algebra is getting introduced to kids as well as a generally higher level of reading (full novels, etc.,). Algebra is used in many of pokemon's equations because of all the unknown aspects to the standard calculation, that is to say something like natures, EV/IV's, and damage effectiveness. I can just imagine as a teacher, simplifying a damage calc and having a student figure out the Pokemon (X and Y) involved. It's a far out theory but it's one I aim to apply.

Well, if you wanna incorporate pokemon into Spanish classes with young kids, I think that an obvious thing to do is use the pokedex entries in spanish. If I'm not mistaken the games have pokedex entries in different languages for pokemon obtain from international trades. You could use the entries and translate them into English. It is definitely more engaging than learning "donde esta la biblioteca?" over and over again.

On a side note, to those who are arguing that Pokemon teaches morals/ethics, let me point something out to you. This is a game that seems to condone and/or shows:
[/COLOR]
True, maybe, as innuendo and subliminal messaging are everywhere around us nowadays, but if you think of it, would Satoshi create a game for the youth to say, control their minds, teach them about gambling, sex? When I first made my Pokemon go to the daycare I didn't know what it was, curious, yes, but did that give me any ideas? And to imply that it doesn't is like saying you're forgetting everything good because the ratio of bad things to good things is like, 7:3, is that it? I have utmost respect for your opinion though, I'm just saying.

AS far as educational value, Pokemon games unlike your average shooters, promote critical thinking and prediction. These are nessesary to understanding Pychology and that out of the box veiwpoints. Since I have been playing for a long time now I have realized how many of those name similarities there are. From the obvious EKANS backwords SNAKE and ARBOK backwords is Kobra. Then youo have pokes like snorlax and you have to infer that its name meaning slow and lazy, that it will have some bulk and it does. Educational value is in Pokemon games in almost every aspect.

Could you Pm me to set up a giveaway time if its not to late. And if This is good than I would like a Spikey Jr. I could go on wifi today just PM me please. I would appreciate ite alot.

Nothing wrong with Single Mothers at all, however coming from an area where it is a concentrated number of them, it is usually much harder to go on through life. Not saying Pokemon has to show the "American Dream," but this isn't a generally good message. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Note on whether she has a job. She does give us a map and shoes, but that's about it for showing of her own income. Now think about when she's our bank and shopping with our money lol. I also find it very unlikely that she just happens to always be home when we are if she has a job.

However, I don't want this to get off topic, the point of the giveaway is educational value so let us stick to that. Thanks for your interest though.
Going off this then, you might be able to say that the social realm of the family within the pokemon games is starting to reflect the changing social unit of the family in modern (primarily American, for these purposes) society. There is a recent statistic of 55% of American families having only a single parent, so the typical single mother we've come to know, might actually be able to be utilized as a tool expose younger individuals growing up in dual parent households to other forms of the family (single parent, as well as extended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)