Metagame SPL XI Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

It's that time of the year again! This thread will be used for talking about anything DOU for SPL XI, whether it be about the players, the matches, predictions, or the developing SS DOU metagame. This thread will be updated with matches and any relevant announcements as they appear.

SPL XI Commencement Thread
SPL XI Schedule

Potential DOU players:

Alpha Ruiners
: qsns
Dragonspiral Tyrants: marilli
Indie Scooters: Memoric, talkingtree
Wi-fi Wolfpack: SMB, Stratos
Ever Grande BIGS: Nails, Ezrael, Frania
Circus Maximus Tigers: MajorBowman
Congregation of the Classiest: stax, DaWoblefet
Stark Sharks: Mr.GX, Kiichikos
Cryonicles: Tman
Team Raiders: kaori, Lunar

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Preliminary Power Rankings by n1n1

This SPL draft is pretty strange. First it looks like half the managers drafted based on gen6 tour results. And secondly we are missing some of the best players like demantoid, emforbes, yoda, yobuddy, and umbry.

Modern Teams:

1) Ever Grande BIGS
:
I have said before that with only 1 DOU slot it doesn't make sense to spend a lot on DOU, the BIGS did the opposite and the trio should have high expectations. My only criticism of Ezrael has been being a lazy teambuilder and apathetic, with 2 partners that should not be an issue. It is a new gen, still lots of exploration to be done, having 3 people coming up with different ideas is very powerful.

2) Congregation of the Classiest:
Stax was my #1 pick for the DOU draft guide. He has always had high expectations and always comes through with one of the best if not the best record in all major tournaments. Not sure if Dawoblefet adds any benefit, he is a good player but I do not see how testing against Durant type bullshit helps stax in any meaningful way.

3) Wi-fi Wolfpack:
Basically same as stax, SMB is always super good. But also like the above, does having a teammate for one of the best make any sense? SMB has done team tours on his own before. SMB and stratos teams are completely different in my eyes, SMB is known for coming up with wild teams using mons outside of the VR. Stratos is much more conventional and I really would have liked to see him starting. So its interesting to see if there will be lack of synergy or not.

5) Stark Sharks:
This is a strong core of young people, I am most excited to see how they turn out. They probably have the most pressure, with little to no team tour experience. Very glad who ever is managing the Sharks took a chance on 1st time SPL'ers, more of this should be encouraged unlike some of the teams below.

7) Cryonicles:
I know Tman is good, but have never seen him post on PS or Forums. So dont know much about him except that he is pretty good

Gen6'ers back from the dead:

4) Indie Scooters
:
Clearly the strongest of this category. Memoric made a strong come back in 2019. Both these guys use do not use mons too far out from the Top Tiers of the VR, but talkingtree is a bit more experimental and should come up with cool ideas that are not too wild for Memoric.

6) Dragonspiral Tyrants:
Marilli is coming off a dominate performance in Italian Premier League. There is much more pressure and competition in SPL, he should do well but sometimes recycles teams too much, without a teammate he is at a disadvantage against the teams I listed above.

8) Team Raiders:
Year after year theres always a few SPL managers who do not realized that they are drafting washed up players. These players have a lot to prove unless they want to end up like the fake n1n1 and never be drafted again. Sam and Lunar are the best of the bunch here, just because 2 is better than 1.

9) Circus Maximus Tigers:
Bowman had a pretty poor year in 2019 considering is past tour results. He obviously still very active, its a new gen and that might give him a fresh start to bounce back to be a top player.

10) Alpha Ruiners:
Last years Croven teambuilder is on his own this time. I do not understand how as he has not had a strong tour performance in a long time

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
MajorBowman vs qsns - I believe in the bowman
marilli vs kaori - Sam has Lunar breathing down his neck this year instead of roscoe
Ezrael vs Memoric - Jon has been stellar lately, but I could see this as a super close game. Memo with tree support is scary af
Tman vs stax - stax is tough but this is heaTman we're talking about
Mr.GX vs SMB - yea

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not super insightful because this is week 1 and we have like, 0 good replays to go off of.

MajorBowman vs qsns

I was gonna make a joke about Jake's horrendous DOU support but the PR beat me to it. Let's see a clean one, lads.

marilli vs kaori

This one could go either way tbh. Lunar is gr8 support tho so I think that tips it.

Ezrael vs Memoric

Call it a hunch. Highlight match either way tbh. We'll see if Memo's time off helped or hurt. talkingtree is a fucking wizard and comes up with the cleanest spreads I've ever seen.

Tman vs stax

New meta, and Tman excels at finding weird shit that looks jank until you realize you're down 3-6 and he's got 5 outs to win. edit: whoops

Mr.GX vs SMB

This is not your ideal SPL debut match, but when you're ranked 10th in the PR, you're the underdog in every match anyway. SMB is still a machine though and barring luck should take this with better prep.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
MajorBowman vs qsns
marilli vs kaori
Sticking with my Power Ranks in these match ups.

Ezrael vs Memoric
Memoric has been super active lately and topped the 2v2 ladder. Also this but for his actual teammate
talkingtree is a fucking wizard and comes up with the cleanest spreads I've ever seen.
Tman vs stax
Never bet against the goat.

Mr.GX vs SMB
SMB is distracted by managing the psyduck ducklings. And I hope he loses for bringing max Pikachu BS to roomtours

MajorBowman vs qsns
marilli vs kaori

Ezrael vs Memoric
Especially excited to see Ezrael vs Memoric, both have been putting a lot of time and thought into DOU recently. Ezrael has been doing great in team tours recently, and with the amount of support the magma bigs makes him my favorite in these early weeks until the DOU meta stabilizes a bit.

Tman vs stax
Been a long time coming but it's great to see heatman come out as a DOU starter instead of a UU sub. stax has been in great shape in all of the recent DOU tours and I think it's going to continue carrying over to the new gen.

Mr.GX vs SMB
SMB is the sacrificial lamb to discover what Mr.GX has been building with. Both are going to be absolute wildcards to begin with, and without a developed format I'm excited to see who brings the crazier team.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna do predicts this year, not sure I ever have consistently and it should be fun. Looking forward to a fun tournament, hopefully we can all provide some fun games and cool teams.

marilli vs kaori
This might actually be the match I'm most excited for because these guys have both been offline for a while but are capable of doing really well. I'm picking Sam here because I think his tendency to use a bit more creative teams might help him out in a week 1 fight between two crusty vets

Ezrael vs Memoric
Both of these guys have been hot but I think Memoric specifically has been on fire recently and has better support behind him (talkingtree and miltankmilk > Nails and frania)

Tman vs stax
Toughest one this week to me, but I think stax has been regaining form and I'm sure he and DaWoblefet are cooking up something disgustingly annoying. Maybe Tman hyper offense can power through triple shadow tag double parting shot quadruple will o wisp but I think stax has the edge here.

Mr.GX vs SMB
Not the first team tournament match you want to see if you're Mr.GX, I think SMB's experience and really solid teambuilding will give him the edge over GX

go team right side

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
W2

SS DOU: Ezrael vs Tman
SS DOU: SMB vs MajorBowman
SS DOU: Mr.GX vs Memoric
SS DOU: Kaori vs qsns
SS DOU: stax vs marilli

Last edited by a moderator:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
SS DOU: Ezrael vs Tman - Gut says this is gonna be another highlight match and contrary to how last week went I def think Tommy can bounce back into things
SS DOU: SMB vs MajorBowman - Another game I'm excited for, SMB won a pretty convincing W1 while bowman brought Rillaboom
SS DOU: Mr.GX vs Memoric - I still stand by my previous statement of the threat that is Memo+tree. Tough break with W1 but definitely expect the bounce back to start immediately
SS DOU: Kaori vs qsns - Probably the least sure I am this week, both played pretty solid week 1 with some really cool teams out the gate. Gut says Sam
SS DOU: stax vs marilli - Everyone else is playing VGC while stax is the only soul brave enough to become DOU

Good luck this week!

SS DOU: Ezrael vs Tman
Jon had one of the most decisive wins last week, both by bringing a strong team and by playing really well. I expect him to do the same thing again and beat Tommy this week based on the last set.

SS DOU: SMB vs MajorBowman
We hardly got to see what SMB has in store for us from last week, being able to continue incorporating Stealth Rock on your team at this point in the metagame and running what looks to be a more defensive team week one seems to be pretty conventional DOU. Unless bowman continues with more unconventional teams and catches SMB out on match up, I'm giving this one to SMB.

SS DOU: Mr.GX vs Memoric
Honestly, both players got beat down a bit last week. Memo got further in the kickoff tour, had an overall better season, and I know he is more capable of adjusting and improving his team. If and only if Mr.GX changes his team up a bit, I believe that will catch everyone off guard and I'd give him the edge. Otherwise, I think Memo's got this one.

SS DOU: Kaori vs qsns
qsns brought a really strong team and played above my expectations. Kaori had a little bit of a mish-mash of strong Pokemon but the team didn't look too cohesive, especially once Whimsicott went down. I have to give credit where credit is due and predict qsns.

SS DOU: stax vs marilli
stax managed to win out last week in a pretty crazy game and has his overall team tour record positive for the first time. Marilli had a cleaner win and team, but I'm gonna keep giving the edge to stax mostly to see him keep this team tour record above .500.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
W1 thoughts:

- Drilldo is back from the gen 7 graveyard (or my builder) as a top threat here and the teambuilding shows it with:

- Double Intimidate everywhere gives me fuckin flashbacks and we don't even have Incin/Landoge back yet. Only one Braviary tho and it didn't even particularly take advantage.

- On that note, a lot of high ranked mons got surprisingly little use: Braviary & Corviknight got 1 use, Whimsicott and Rotom-W got 2, Indeedee/Dracovish/Sylveon got 0.

- Teams deffo preferred sand and T-wave for speed control > Tailwind & TR. Sand lasts longer than both other field effects and Paralysis is permanent. We'll see if people start to take advantage of this by using TR more to abuse paralysis.

W2 Predicts:

Ezrael vs Tman

Tommy doesn't int twice in a row imo but this should be a solid match.

SMB vs MajorBowman

for the record, boomer wasnt my tech on that team last week :psysly:

Mr.GX vs Memoric

Not an ideal debut for GX in any sense. What's worse is his loss didn't even give us a roadmap to prep for SMB this week >:(

Kaori vs qsns

qsns was underrated af on the PR and I think he continues rolling here. He had a solid team and played well. Kaori brought Beat Up to an SPL match and it went about as well as you'd expect.

stax vs marilli

One of these two played a solid game with a well built squad. One of these two loaded Durant + Vanilluxe yet still won. Call it a gut feelin I guess.

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ezrael vs Tman
Jon looked good and Tommy looked prankster tailwind in TR week 1, if Tommy doesn't blunder like that again this will be a great match

Mr.GX vs Memoric
Two people that kinda got stuffed week 1, but I believe in the Memoric+talkingtree duo and I think Memo's team was a bit more solid that GX's last week

Kaori vs qsns
quiznos definitely proved he hasn't gone anywhere last week because despite my sick turn 1 wisp into the rhyperior switch i still got throttled. Sam's team was cute too so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with again

stax vs marilli
Just have a hunch on this one, marilli looked solid last week and stax brought Durant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also rillaboom is fire haters back off

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
W3

SS DOU: Lunar. vs SMB
SS DOU: marilli vs Tman
SS DOU: Mr.GX vs Ezrael
SS DOU: qsns vs stax
SS DOU: Memoric vs MajorBowman

Last edited:

tennisace

W2 thoughts:

- I'm calling gravsleep "roofie strats" from now on because you get put to sleep against your will and then by the time you wake up you're three towns over with a massive ass-ache.

- Trick Room was featured at least partially on 7/10 teams I can count, probably as a bounceback from week 1 where it was nowhere to be seen. 3 variations of the 3 setter / 3 abuser + indeedee TR team, 4 semi-room teams, and mr. gx brought a goth but didn't reveal whether it was TR or not. Somehow we didn't run into a full tr vs full tr matchup which is interesting as it would have come down to EVs and speed ties

- Togekiss has 100% cemented itself as best bird, as there were no Braviary and one Corviknight this week. Just wait until it gets Tailwind and Roost back in a couple weeks.

- Dragapult saw play on 6/7 non-fullroom teams last week. It's a monster on balance teams as it's fast enough to basically be its own speed control with no scarf/tailwind required (outside of TR) and it has excellent and variable coverage. There's a lot of good sets for it and I'm sure we'll be seeing some more serious counterplay to it in the future since it can rip through unprepared squads.

- A couple Mews this week, all doing some interesting stuff since its best moves are still home locked. Pollen Puff is a neat tech, Transform is classic, Volt Switch > U-turn to potentially pop Weakness Policy on Lapras? Once it gets Fake Out/Tailwind back I think it's going to cement itself in the metagame as a top supporter but right now it's in the "neat tech" territory".

W3 matchups:

SS DOU: Lunar. vs SMB

lunar is HEAT AF and i can't not predict him. should be a good close match though.

SS DOU: marilli vs Tman

marilli beat stax's cheese last week with a timely t1 follow me and then rolled, while tman got roofie'd. i don't think either game gives much info on where both players are at.

SS DOU: Mr.GX vs Ezrael

GX has looked overmatched in 2 games in a row, Ezrael has looked solid as always even if he used some major bullshit last week.

SS DOU: qsns vs stax

stax doesn't look like he's bringing serious teams this season, qsns has looked good in starting 2-0.

SS DOU: Memoric vs MajorBowman

y'all slept af on my man jake and he noticed. he took down some names.

MajorBowman

Lunar. vs SMB
ashes to ashes, crust to crust

marilli vs Tman
Tommy has been struggling to find his footing and marilli has had two solid showings so far, maybe if Tommy comes up with another way to use Darm he'll turn his season around but otherwise marilli is the safe pick

Mr.GX vs Ezrael
Jon hasn't showed any signs of slowing down from his great Snake performance and GX has yet to make a splash, I don't expect either of those to change this week

qsns vs stax
qsns has also had a strong start like marilli but this is probably the closest of the 4, if stax stops bringing the ice cream cone this will be a fun match to watch

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
SPL W4

[WOL] Stratos vs stax [CLA]
[TYR] marilli vs qsns [RUI]
[RAI] kaori vs Memoric [SCO]
[BIG] Ezrael vs MajorBowman [TIG]
[CRY] Tman vs Kiichikos [SHA]

Kiichikos is in over Mr.GX for the Stark Sharks now, while Stratos is in for the Wolfpack with SMB rotated to RBY! gl bruders

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)