SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.

doesn't look too threatening if you ask me
#FREECALLOUS
When a rapper dies and girls he's pressed come out and show off that they were talking to him^^

In all seriousness, the Callous decision by the TDs is undeniably agenda driven. The reasoning behind the Lavos interview being problematic is incredibly flawed. This interview took place in September, obviously prior to the TDs choosing Callous to be a manager. This implies that either a) none of the TDs knew about this interview until a few hours ago (which is unlikely to the point of being unbelievable) or b) they knew and chose to ignore it and are now only using it as agenda ammunition against Callous. There isn't even anything wrong with interviewing Lavos about Pokemon, it's not like he asked him what he thought of BLM or anything.

"For an off-site tournament, hunting down a player's phone number and making a very intrusive phone call to ensure they would play their match."
This claim is intentionally worded to paint Callous as a predatory character in order to make what Callous did seem way worse that what actually happened. Callous asked the player's friend for the number to contact them in order to get them to play their match. While this is arguably a bit much, it is by no means a bannable offence, and the player in question didn't even think much of it, and the two of them think of it as a funny memory. It's not like he found out where he lives, continually phoned him, threatened him with violence etc etc. Callous has not ever doxxed someone (where you share private information about another user) and this is just a baseless claim.

While Callous is mostly known for his ADV community contributions - where he hosts the most important ADV tournament in the world besides maybe SPL - he is also owner of Pokemon Perfect where he is personally funding and hosting tournaments in many tiers to help develop players and increase community activity. Callous is quite obviously very serious about giving his all for the community, and to see it blow up in his face for nothing more than an unfair, poor agenda-driven decision is frustrating. You were all discussing competitiveness in SPL a few weeks ago and now you go and take away a managerial position from Callous - someone who is committed, knows the playerbase very well and has a lot of managing experience in side tours. Even his manager Jabba is an insanely experienced player and will add nothing but quality to the team he co-manages. Instead you went and gave it to the person who childishly complained about not getting the manager role as if he was loosing a job placement.

Doing Callous dirty like this will probably lead to him leaving the community and the game out of frustration which would be a massive hit for the community.

whether carlos should be a manager is one question, but the reason for his dismissal seems pretty sus. dismissing carlos for talking to somebody who is banned from smogon. c'mon... siglut raises a good point too, why has bkc not been dismissed by the same rationale, though perhaps his high status affords him diplomatic immunity of a kind? as for the motion to boycott spl, good luck, most of these dudes would sell their mother for 10 elo

Yeah, obviously not a TD decision... It's a SS decision that is forced on to TDs, BKC wasn't even awake LMFAO
1607685926511.png

And talk about loaded language hunted down a player's phone number and making a very intrusive phone call to ensure they would play their match. My guy just asked one guy for a number and rung it, not even doxxing and the player in question doesn't recall this as some horrible happening lmfao. We can all sit here and pretend this is some TD decision because CALLOUS didn't do something, but in reality we all know this is nothing to do with TDs or CALLOUS. It's about tennisace and some SS members.

For what it's worth, I am more than glad to be a retired player: the reasons (which you already knew at the time you picked him, in my wild guess) why you revoked CALLOUS's slot are pathetic and weak, even more you used the same line with me and many other RBY enthusiasts by asking us first and then stripping away our right to vote (on Counter, for those who don't remember).

Just reminding you, have fun deleting and banning me.
And long live Lavos.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Great post thelinearcurve and I can only agree. It's one thing to deny someone a manager or assistant Manager Spot (especially if it happens to, say, me where there is a legitimate reason), but another thing entirely to appoint someone as a Manager duo only to remove said spot shortly after. Not just that, but also seemingly on a whim for "reasons" that are not only nebulous at best but also common knowledge -> known before anyone got picked in the first place. I don't blame the TDs as it seems rather clear that this was a decision not entirely (to say the least) made by them. Makes you wonder who exactly harbors a grudge against CALLOUS that made them, after he already got picked, PM EVIDENCE OF MISCONDUCT FROM YEARS PRIOR to people in power... Since that's supposedly what happened, right? Haha.

Anyway, I can only echo linears post, but I'd also like to add that CALLOUS not only did more for Gen 3 than most people could ever imagine, but is also doing the same for Gens 4 and 5 at the moment. As such, I implore all ADV/DPP/BW players to boycott this tournament for the time being. Not like Smogon is about the people actually playing the Pokémon in 2020 anyway, though.

EDIT: After a short reflection period and given the severity of the situation at hand, I'd instead implore Pokémon players in general to just boycott this tournament. Probably not worth it. Have a nice Day.

Last edited:

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok I just wake up, I checked Discord and I saw this bullshit. I assume it'll be completely useless but let's make a post to explain how this decision is beyond stupid.

Let's start with the two reasons why CALLOUS is revoked as a manager. First, both things hapenned OUTSIDE of Smogon, and are totally within the rules of Smogon too.
What did CALLOUS do ?
1) Be involved as a manager and asking someone a phone number to ensure a match was played. ONE phone call, no harrassement, no threat, no leak, nothing, one phone call, since when is it immoral and/or outside of the rule to call someone on a matter who is, I want to insist, not Smogon related ?

2) Conducting an interview with somebody talking about POKEMON. Nobody is trying to defend Lavos' saying here. CALLOUS himself made it clear that he condemned those at multiple occasion.

With that let's continue with an even more problematic thing. Someone just got revoked from management in SPL because a bunch of people complained, not even a majority of the likely SPL players, not even important figures. Just a bunch of people who changed well known stories about someone to make him a culprit. And you know what ? For some reason it worked, and what's more ? It took less than 12h.

CALLOUS is a really good guy, he's involved in the competitive scene, especially the oldgens one, he gives a LOT OF TIME to improve it, and he takes his responsabilities inside it very seriously. Why did he call a teammate to play a game ? Because he's a good manager. Why did he interview Lavos ? Because ABR and him invited him to a tournament and some questions needed to be asked, the community wanted to know. ( For what I know ABR was mostly in charge of player selection and I don't think ABR is some hate speech spreader, tho I don't know the details.) This interview was extremely well received in the community too.

To sum up things, this decision shows Smogon's tendency to a really bad patronage and the lack of ability of a certain group of decision making people to think clearly and stay true to the good choice they make for the future of the website even tho it may ""shock"" a bunch of people who would find something to complain anyway.

The best thing you could do right now is to acknowledge your mistake and return to the initial 10 managers.

Thanks for reading.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I think this decision is probably one of the worst decisions ever since I joined this site. CALLOUS was selected a manager and rightfully so. Any other guy in the world would have gotten picked way before with the results CALLOUS had managing in other team tours. I mean have you seen his results?! I don't think there is anyone that has played for CALLOUS that would disagree that he is a great manager.

In my understanding he is just the scapegoat here for other managers not getting a team or some people generally holding grudges against him. You are twisting his words and interpreting them far beyond what they were obviously supposed to mean. I mean: has anyone actually spoken to bluri?

I seriously hope that this is not the end of the story cause I couldn't disagree more with how it was written.

Last edited:

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
The TD's are in a hot damn streak, gj guys!

Keep going with the awful decisions, surely the community is loving them! ^^

Edit: i got told this last one was from senior staff which is even worse lol smogon breaking apart

Last edited:

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
This decision is ridiculous.

Plus all the things already mentioned, I just wanna add that if you want to keep the "professionalism" you can't ban a user that has done more for the old gens than smogon in the last 10 years.
I say "professionalism" because this site doesn't pay, doesn't stream, doesn't really do absolutely nothing to call this professional.

But not only for the old metagames, he also has made more for the players than this site ever making his money tours.

Let's just play, compete, and have fun, which is why we are all here. You are taking this game too serious (a game by the way that we all invented, because the official game would be VGC, these rules doesn't even exist if you would want to actually compete in pokémon).

I know this decision hasn't been taken by the TD team, but this is an unique opportunity to show that the Tournament Director team are the ones that actually make the tournament decisions and not people who don't even play this game.

I’m not sure how some of you fail to see the issue of a 30-something year old Callous tracking down a teenager’s personal information and contacting them.

Callous was an adult then and an adult now. He knew exactly what he was doing, there is no “he learned from it, it was in the past”. This type of predatory behavior is not acceptable and that doesn’t begin to even scratch the surface.

Not to mention the fact that Callous gave a platform to a closet racist to spread his bigoted and antisemitic views across the community...

When a rapper dies and girls he's pressed come out and show off that they were talking to him^^

In all seriousness, the Callous decision by the TDs is undeniably agenda driven. The reasoning behind the Lavos interview being problematic is incredibly flawed. This interview took place in September, obviously prior to the TDs choosing Callous to be a manager. This implies that either a) none of the TDs knew about this interview until a few hours ago (which is unlikely to the point of being unbelievable) or b) they knew and chose to ignore it and are now only using it as agenda ammunition against Callous. There isn't even anything wrong with interviewing Lavos about Pokemon, it's not like he asked him what he thought of BLM or anything.

"For an off-site tournament, hunting down a player's phone number and making a very intrusive phone call to ensure they would play their match."
This claim is intentionally worded to paint Callous as a predatory character in order to make what Callous did seem way worse that what actually happened. Callous asked the player's friend for the number to contact them in order to get them to play their match. While this is arguably a bit much, it is by no means a bannable offence, and the player in question didn't even think much of it, and the two of them think of it as a funny memory. It's not like he found out where he lives, continually phoned him, threatened him with violence etc etc. Callous has not ever doxxed someone (where you share private information about another user) and this is just a baseless claim.

While Callous is mostly known for his ADV community contributions - where he hosts the most important ADV tournament in the world besides maybe SPL - he is also owner of Pokemon Perfect where he is personally funding and hosting tournaments in many tiers to help develop players and increase community activity. Callous is quite obviously very serious about giving his all for the community, and to see it blow up in his face for nothing more than an unfair, poor agenda-driven decision is frustrating. You were all discussing competitiveness in SPL a few weeks ago and now you go and take away a managerial position from Callous - someone who is committed, knows the playerbase very well and has a lot of managing experience in side tours. Even his manager Jabba is an insanely experienced player and will add nothing but quality to the team he co-manages. Instead you went and gave it to the person who childishly complained about not getting the manager role as if he was loosing a job placement.

Doing Callous dirty like this will probably lead to him leaving the community and the game out of frustration which would be a massive hit for the community.
I honestly thought that if people were gonna go for Callous, they'd have a good reason. Sharing screenshots that were consensually given only to decontextualise and manipulate it to make someone look bad isn't any less of an offence than what was claimed.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
back in 2017 i had to call ricardo's phone number multiple times during wcop finals because my man was dead drunk in a ditch in the streets of lisbon while having a game to play against motherfucking bro fist and i never got denied from managing over this fact even though it was semi known (hell, tony was on that wcop team and eventually got promoted to td)

free big d*ck callous

I’m not sure how some of you fail to see the issue of a 30-something year old Callous tracking down a teenager’s personal information and contacting them.

Callous was an adult then and an adult now. He knew exactly what he was doing, there is no “he learned from it, it was in the past”. This type of predatory behavior is not acceptable and that doesn’t begin to even scratch the surface.

Not to mention the fact that Callous gave a platform to a closet racist to spread his bigoted and antisemitic views across the community...
call the cops. I am sure someone in the community knows his government name and social security number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)