SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
sidenote:
I only know what has been discussed here in the Commencement Thread, and the Administrative Decisions

Can we users and supporters of Smogon get full transparency in the Administrative Decision process?
The big shot callers should be publicly accountable for their decisions.

Suppose a majority of Smogon userbase, or a majority of standout community leaders similar to ABR, think the decision is unreasonable, what is the process to get the problem fixed?

There seems to be genuine ambiguity in what is or isn't allowed for teamsharing etc., and genuinely no hard rules set with regards to punishment.
The TDs seems to have realised 12 months was too harsh, but why is 6 months the final call " Meanwhile, our decision is final for this case. " ? According to whom? Who gets to make the call that it's 6 months and not 3 months (and not 1 month?)

Smogon is a community that prides itself on our competitiveness, and it makes me sad to see a (as far as I know) well-meaning teammate punished so harshly. It would be a horrible tragedy if this guy was discouraged from participating in future events because he thinks Smogon tournament regulation is unfair.

That's basically the point, I agree with all of that. The rules should not be applied in a sterile way, because we don't need a tour director to apply them, everybody can do it, tds should apply them with the head. I have the impression not all the times tds are able to deal with every situation... they are 100% definitely aware of the rules, but not aware of every single case. I feel like many decisions are rushed and we can't permit bad decisions will be taken in the future. Punishments should be modulated based on each individual situation. Only way to solve that is more transparency in the decision process and doing like how it's done irl. If someone irl commits a crime, it's not punished every time with the same punishment and not everyone who commits the same crime have the exact punishment... we should try to have real processes instead of just saying "well lmao he leaked, let's give 1 year/6months tban!11!". Why the fuck we can't explore more deeply every single case of possible infraction to understand if it's really the case to be so fucking harsh? Remember that banning people is not a banal stuff. Linear purposed a good solution. A sequence of bad decisions can lead to a failure of the tournament community and of the site.

(At the end you can agree with me or not, I don't care, it's just my opinion... and remember, it's not the first time decisions are rushed... especially in this spl)

#freekenix

good shit
A potential solution to this is requiring the TDs to post a thread in Tournament Policy explaining the situation and their reasoning pending any action. They could then receive public comment (from Tournament players) on upcoming administrative decisions. It's not like these incidents are isolated: looking back through old administrative decisions threads from different tournaments, it's common to find "Re: [player]" and then "Re: [player] part 2," where the TDs slipped up and public outcry stepped in. This isn't the fault of the TDs, they're not lawyers trained to interpret Smogon's rules; the TDs are human beings tasked with applying rules that in the past have been inconsistently applied.

Potential Pros:
  • people see the tournament administration process as more legitimate because they participate in it, even if the final decision lies with the TDs
    • may actually reduce offenses from tournament players because of their participation in the administrative process changes the dynamic between player and TD (not sure about this, but thought it was worth mentioning)
  • fewer bad administrative decisions (no way to eliminate them entirely...)
  • #freekenix
Potential Cons:
  • Small administrative decisions become a nightmare and decisions that should take a day take a week
  • This system obviously cannot apply to cases in which personal details are involved, which is not common, but the cases are often high-profile (for example the Bloo ban)
  • public opinion shifts in favour of Perry

cant we just remove this rule or at least fix it.
the rule is kind of stupid, why would sharing a team in any situation result in a tourban, whats the point of it? "higher level games" i guess would be the answer, like if a good player isnt able to guess opponents set (and if u talk about "hidden techs" then might as well just hide ur team till u play ur game). someone passing u the team u are facing might even be worse sometimes, if u are playing against the same six mons doesnt mean u are playing against the same team, even a single set/move/item might change the whole idea of the six mons and could completely change a players gameplan.
only way i see this rule having sense and being worth a punishment is when a teammate shares the team to the opponent that would then be "team cancering".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)