SPL XIII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I am speaking as a player who takes an active interest in SPL, not a TD here. Also, TDs in SPL have no say over SPL decisions, so please do not take my word as anything more than a single individual's suggestion.

I believe the Tyrants and Cryonicles should get full refunds.

We can all argue about specific past precedents, but I do not think we have the same circumstances surrounding the situations to make anything fully comparable. Precedent may decide some situations, but we also have to be cognizant of when we apply it, how we apply it, and when it is time to start anew. Ultimately, we have an evolving community with evolving perceptions, new personnel, and novel arguments being presented.

I feel that a full refund is the most fair solution for a pre-tournament ban or quit that is entirely outside of team control, which describes these two cases. It is not a perfect match because finding one without the initial player is impossible, but it is the only logical equivalency possible.

I also feel that people (some on the Tyrants and Cryonicles, but some not) have been behaving in an unacceptable fashion about this situation. We have a limited pool of TDs who can provide input on the situation, many of whom are not SPL regulars, and even fewer hosts. They are all doing their best to make this the most competitive tournament while also juggling the holidays and plenty more. I have so much respect and appreciation for all of them -- it is one of the hardest jobs on the site and I have done a lot of these jobs, so I would know. Everyone is entitled to argue for their own team and state how they feel, but nobody is entitled to berate others or show disrespect to people doing a thankless job. Shame on those who have done this.

I think getting more than a player is fair to say the least - you dont need full refund to "fix" the ruling, managers take risks when taking anyone (and that shouldnt be ignored), but considering the pricetag they were taken for, its probably fine to give 'em at least half the credits they spent on the cancers. It would benefit a bit better these teams that already had to deal with these losses and still punished the managers for making bad decisions.

Either way, haters gonna hate: I dont get why you are all arguing for full refunds so bad, you got only bellow average subs available to take for slots that you shouldnt even spend much with LOL (specially rby). Taking just one is more than enough for any of you.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
I will try to calmly and peacefully advocate for a full refund for both the Tyrants and the Cryonicles. I do apologize if things got heated or if personal insults were thrown at hosts. At the end of the day you want to do your best job hosting and we want to do what's best for our teams. People (myself included) get very invested and can let emotions take hold when things don't go as planned or when people disagree with us. Anyway, onto policy.

To start, I'd like to start by talking about why we, the Tyrants and Cryonicles, reasonably deserve the full money amount of our lost players. The first part that I hope no one genuinely disputes is that we are not at fault or responsible for our players leaving or getting banned. We made retains and purchases with the assumption that they'd actually "go into effect" and we didn't get a single thing out of our players. They didn't play a game and week 1 didn't even start. We paid 16k (cryos 14.5k) for 0k value. We request full value back because it is the closest we can get to our initial value. It isn't close btw. A bunch of 3ks, while useful, were not even picked up in the initial auction so it definitely wouldn't be an outright buff. Do we want them? Hell yea. Do we think we're better off with them compared to right after draft? No, but we're trying to make the best of some shit situations. I get why other teams would want us weaker but I do genuinely believe it's in the best interest of SPL to make the tournament as competitive as possible, by offsetting the unfortunate circumstances to the best of our ability.

The thing is, most people seem to agree with the above. Like I don't think many people have been saying we don't "deserve" a full refund it usually just boils down to finer nuances of the rules. Regarding precedent and semantics, it is truly not that hard to justify or implement a full refund. For starters, precedent usually serves two main functions. The first function is to provide a guideline of expectation for how the rules work. The second function is to guarantee fair and equal treatment to those engaging in the same actions. Regarding the first point, neither John W nor Spies, for different reasons obviously, did not get banned or quit because of what they expected their teams to get after. If anything, if precedent pointed to less than a full refund, this would never be used as motivation for a player quitting. Precedent is irrelevant in this aspect. Regarding fair treatment, we all thankfully agree the Tyrants and Cryonicles should be treated equally here. Precedent would be unfairly broken if we got LESS than what people before us got, because then our expectations were unmatched in the negative direction. You can make things better than people expect, just not worse.

Side example: Say someone normally gets a 2 year ban for ghosting in SPL. If bea ghosted this SPL, it would be very hard to justify giving him MORE than 2 years. The usual punishment is 2 years so going worse than that is an unfair handling of an expectation and an unfair application of the rules. However, if current rules / policymakers agreed that 2 years was excessive and in fact 1 year was better, we could still give 1 year to bea. We can break expectations or precedent in the positive direction. We can be more generous than you promised, just not less. In this case, we can be more generous than precedent indicates if the precedent is too harsh / unfair in terms of SPL bans or cancers.

Furthermore, you still can link this to the Ojama SPL 11 situation if you really wanted. Like yes there was a trade but there was still a full refund. It was technically possible to either negate the trade and give Bigs a non-full refund, or to go through with the trade and give the Tyrants a non-full refund. It was specifically avoided because neither the Bigs nor the Tyrants were at fault then. This is very easily applicable to SPL 13's Tyrants and Cryonicles.

I believe that, according to the above arguments, as well as support from even parties that should be biased against us (such as CALLOUS), the Tyrants and Cryonicles deserve a full refund for their lost players. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Much Love,
The Dove
what's The Dove bro

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
just letting spl managers know that i'd be more than happy to help with your team custom avatar, don't hesitate to hmu on discord if you have any idea you'd like to get visuals for :]
Thanks to people who reached out and who trusted me with those! Most of these were a blast to make and huge thanks to managers who showed appreciation for all the work. This wouldn't have been possible without the help of goat artist Brumirage, she helped me with a lot of those and art on this website as a whole would be much, much different without her contributions.

& previous version of the Bigs & Scooters avys, being these
bigs-final-lax.png
indiescooters.png

I also remade the current Tyrants avatar, no offense to the artist who worked on it but it didn't fit the 80x80 canvas, Tyrantrum's sprite was simply cut and it looked very off to me.

splxiiityrants-edit.png

1641290787044.png

on that note, I hope everyone has a good season and a nice day!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)